Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,962 members, 7,835,210 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42373 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by POTUT(m): 9:07am On Dec 19, 2011
We should not encourage politicians to perpetually steal money and then invite fronts in the guise of private/foreign investors.

Can you imagine the thugs on Saturday carried placards that read 'we support Tinubu'.

What does this tell you. Tinubu is not the current governor o!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 9:08am On Dec 19, 2011
@Akainzo, yes

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 9:09am On Dec 19, 2011
this is the alternate route is blocked and at stand still.

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 9:13am On Dec 19, 2011
will like you to know that about 40% of the companies on the island have already closed for the year, last week friday, this is just a tip of what January will look like.

PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 9:19am On Dec 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Please do not give up. Use any image editing software to reduce the size please. And post it. This is the sort of information we need to collect.

THIS IS TEXT SENT BY LEKKI PHASE I RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION THIS MORNING:

"Our comdemnation of the moves of LCC to force people into paying the toll fare still stands! we therefore call upon our residents and Visitors to resist the tolling commencing today in every way possible! Take Tolled Road, BUT do not pay!"

Now with the above it shows the traffic is a delibrate creation of the Protesters!!! Apart from this It is a new thing, it will improve with time in few days, People are already paying the toll
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 9:20am On Dec 19, 2011
Thanks @Ochib. Do keep the updates coming as seeing is believing, they say. Please add time stamp to your pics if you can. That way, we can correctly reference them in the future. grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 9:20am On Dec 19, 2011
ACN Thugs leaving after distrupting the peaceful protest

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 9:30am On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

will like you to know that about 40% of the companies on the island have already closed for the year, last week friday, this is just a tip of what January will look like.

PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING!

By Januray, many would have bought the electronic cards and movement would be faster. Also, I expect LCC agents to have more lower denominations to use as change or for them to reduce the prices so that the fees at round figures N50, 100 and 150, that way change could be better.

From the amount of vehicles in that pix, one can deduce the load that that stretch of road is subjected to daily. In no time that infrastructure would collapse if its maintenance is left to the works ministry alone. We can see what has happened to Sagamu-Ore road after removal of tolling.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 9:32am On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

THIS IS TEXT SENT BY LEKKI PHASE I RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION THIS MORNING:

"Our comdemnation of the moves of LCC to force people into paying the toll fare still stands! we therefore call upon our residents and Visitors to resist the tolling commencing today in every way possible! Take Tolled Road, BUT do not pay!"

Now with the above it shows the traffic is a delibrate creation of the Protesters!!! Apart from this It is a new thing, it will improve with time in few days,  People are already paying the toll
very funny indeed, i wonder if you read you comment before posting it, does anyone here look like a toddler to you? *mscheeeeeeeeeew*
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 9:33am On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

You are very right but then it is hoped that the teething problem will go before time.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Olaone1: 9:50am On Dec 19, 2011
In the UK, you have to pay for a parking slot in your workplace.

If they can guarantee judicious use of the money, and the road is well looked after, you gotta pay, guys. That's the way it is. You have to embrace development.
What joy do you derive from driving a 25 million naira car on a road that is riddled with pot holes?

What joy does a Naija rich man derive in flying first class only to get to Lagos and drive the whole stretch of road called the 3rd Mainland Bridge without street lights? Which is more dangerous? Class of flight or a dangerous road? It seems crazy and stooopid.

I am sorry.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Olaone1: 9:55am On Dec 19, 2011
But, I think it should be free for commercial vehicles.

And, if possible, a lane for buses to encourage people to use them.

From the pix, the road does not really look good, IMO
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 9:59am On Dec 19, 2011
Pictures of the protesters at occupy Lekki

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 10:01am On Dec 19, 2011
Occupy Lekki Protest

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 10:02am On Dec 19, 2011
Kinikini:

ACN Thugs leaving after distrupting the peaceful protest

Humnmmm na wah oo. I doubt if you live in lagos at all? This is a common sight on Lagos Road. Did you see the STV Report at all? Showing about 7 Buses loaded with boys reffered to as "LASU Students" arriving at the protest point with cheers from some  of them. The Protest did not go violent until the "LASU" student showed up. Meanwhile, None of the Media Houses reported Thugs with any evidence. In this age of technology and telecoms advancement in Nigeria how will thugs come to distrupt a protest and nobody could record any convincing picture either motion or still. Couldn't this picture be that of the so called LASU student when they were leaving?
Wetin LASU students with Tolling of Lekki Expressway?

The burden of Convincing Evidence behoves on the people that made any allegation!!!  QED
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 10:09am On Dec 19, 2011
Humnmmm na wah oo. I doubt if you live in lagos at all? This is a common sight on Lagos Road. Did you see the STV Report at all? Showing about 7 Buses loaded with boys reffered to as "LASU Students" arriving at the protest point with cheers from some of them. The Protest did not go violent until the "LASU" student showed up. Meanwhile, None of the Media Houses reported Thugs with any evidence. In this age of technology and telecoms advancement in Nigeria how will thugs come to distrupt a protest and nobody could record any convincing picture either motion or still. Couldn't this picture be that of the so called LASU student when they were leaving?

The burden of Convincing Evidence behoves on the people that made any allegation!!! QED

2AMLASGIDI,

It is left for you to believe or not. I force nobody to believe my post. But mind you, I was at the protest and I saw these people myself. They were not the LASU boys that were part of the protest. Inside the bus was also a ACN flag apart from the NURTW flag openly displayed when the protesters were being assaulted.

I am not a politician just a hardworking Nigerian that will be affected by this ACN slavery on the resident.

peace
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Rad1cal: 10:13am On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

Humnmmm na wah oo. I doubt if you live in lagos at all? This is a common sight on Lagos Road. [size=16pt]Did you see the STV Report at all[/size]? Showing about 7 Buses loaded with boys reffered to as "LASU Students" arriving at the protest point with cheers from some  of them. The Protest did not go violent until the "LASU" student showed up. Meanwhile, None of the Media Houses reported Thugs with any evidence. In this age of technology and telecoms advancement in Nigeria how will thugs come to distrupt a protest and nobody could record any convincing picture either motion or still. Couldn't this picture be that of the so called LASU student when they were leaving?

The burden of Convincing Evidence behoves on the people that made any allegation!!!  QED

you referenced silverbird TV, yet you failed to listen to the glaring part where the STV camera man was attacked by the thugs and his camera seized before entering their bus and zooming off

quoting ochibs1010 " very funny indeed, i wonder if you read you comment before posting it, does anyone here look like a toddler to you? *mscheeeeeeeeeew*"
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by johnie: 10:14am On Dec 19, 2011
2AMLasgidi:

Couldn't this picture be that of the so called LASU student when they were leaving?

SMH

Those buses are heading towards the east (Ajah). The opposite direction (west) leads to LASU.
Those pictures were taken near Jakande!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 10:24am On Dec 19, 2011

If they can guarantee judicious use of the money, and the road is well looked after, you gotta pay, guys. That's the way it is. You have to embrace development.
What joy do you derive from driving a 25 million naira car on a road that is riddled with pot holes?

What joy does a Naija rich man derive in flying first class only to get to Lagos and drive the whole stretch of road called the 3rd Mainland Bridge without street lights? Which is more dangerous? Class of flight or a dangerous road? It seems crazy and stooopid.

I am sorry.

If it is so easy to survive in Nigeria most of the diaspora like OLA ONE will be here. Your comment shows you are yet to grasp the core of this matter. We at Lekki axis mind you not Lekki Phase one resident only because the resident spreads from Lekki Phase one to Epe wants development. But we do not want slavery.  A govt that collects huge Personal Income Taxes from my work, and insist I pay to go to that work on a road that have been in existence before the govt. The rate of tolling  and the yrs of concession are outrageous . This is the only road to our abode and should we not at least enjoy the benefit of our taxes? What else have the taxes done for us on this axis? There are no schools, no hospitals, we provide our own water, our electricity. Can you pay 25000 just to go to work maybe after paying $500 - $1500 as Personal income tax without benefit?

Some comments here are really saddening.

The head of Lagos tax collection body spent whooping sums on daughter's wedding without any legitimate means to explain the source. A case of the elite in power stealing taxes dry and asking the regular hardworking class to cough out more to steal on Lekki axis.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kinikini: 10:28am On Dec 19, 2011
Johnie
Those buses are heading towards the east (Ajah). The opposite direction (west) leads to LASU.

The guys actually came from Jakande and returned there after the assualt. This I saw clearly as I made my way home after the protest turned violent. For us who went, we did what we could do. The pain of collecting toll has started and it has just began.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 10:30am On Dec 19, 2011
Ola one:

I am sorry.

your idea of this whole issue is wrong, the lekki residents constitutes just about 3% of the people in that area and every lekki phase 1 person you saw there came out for the love and affection he/she has for lagos (NOT BECAUSE THEY CANT PAY ONLY 1 TOLL), there are a whole lot of REALLY poor people living in sango tedo, ajah, ibeju lekki, epe who actually have to pay for like 3 tolls, some are receptionists, marketers, office assistants who actually constitute about 80% of the people you see every morniing, most of them earn less than N2m per annum with a small tokumbo toyota/honda car or a brand new kia/hyundai, even the so called big jeeps you see are second hand, i implore you to take a closer look at this whole issue.

i know Akaizo and Lagsgidi are the Government boys BUT the truth is, i who write am MORE connected and have BENEFITED from the government  than you.

BUT all these doesn't change the hardship the people are going through, and I feel for the masses.

I REST MY CASE.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 10:52am On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

@Akainzo, yes

So you normally leave your house at 5:30am in the morning prior to when the toll began, and what time do you resume work? 6:00am, 6:30am, 7:00am. 7:30am or 8:00am?
I ask as I need to know your normal work resumption time.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 11:20am On Dec 19, 2011
Akainzo:

So you normally leave your house at 5:30am in the morning prior to when the toll began, and what time do you resume work? 6:00am, 6:30am, 7:00am. 7:30am or 8:00am?
I ask as I need to know your normal work resumption time.

i wonder what you intend to get/do with my resumption time as this is not the subject of discussion, however i was in the hold up yesterday and i thought it wise to get up very early and beat the hold-up today, its past 11am and the hold up is mad out there(that is the subject of concern), for your information, i am just on work visit and wont even spend the next 1 year here in Lagos, i ONLY feel for the people and pity people like you that are fed crumbs to hide the truth, YOUR PEOPLE WILL LEAVE WITH THIS FOR THE NEXT 30YRS.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 11:34am On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

i wonder what you intend to get/do with my resumption time as this is not the subject of discussion, however i was in the hold up yesterday and i thought it wise to get up very early and beat the hold-up today, its past 11am and the hold up is mad out there(that is the subject of concern), for your information, i am just on work visit and wont even spend the next 1 year here in Lagos, i ONLY feel for the people and pity people like you that are fed crumbs to hide the truth, YOUR PEOPLE WILL LEAVE WITH THIS FOR THE NEXT 30YRS.

Hmmmm, now you are trying to change the post in your story, why? sad When you posted the pix and claimed that you were in the hold-up for 3 hours, and posted it at 8:48, I asked if you normally/usually leave your house by 5:30am to resume work and you emphatically answered YES.

Now that the implicationof that answer has dawned on you, you star trying to confuse the situation. Since you have gotten the gist, let me now lay it out to you.
Scenario 1: You normally leave home by 5:30am to beat the traffic and today you left home by the same 5:30am and still got to office at the same time.
Scenario 2: You normally leave home by 5:30am to resume by 7:00 but due to traffic you got to work late by 8:30am
Scenario 3: You normally leave home by 7:00am due to free roads but due to the traffic today, you got to the office late.

So which one is it?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by johnie: 11:37am On Dec 19, 2011
Kinikini:

Johnie

The guys actually came from Jakande and returned there after the assualt. This I saw clearly as I made my way home after the protest turned violent. For us who went, we did what we could do. The pain of collecting toll has started and it has just began.

I am only corroborating your post. 

Some of the posters here don't even know where Jakande or the toll plaza is, yet . . .
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 11:46am On Dec 19, 2011
Akainzo:

Hmmmm, now you are trying to change the post in your story, why? sad When you posted the pix and claimed that you were in the hold-up for 3 hours, and posted it at 8:48, I asked if you normally/usually leave your house by 5:30am to resume work and you emphatically answered YES.

Now that the implicationof that answer has dawned on you, you star trying to confuse the situation. Since you have gotten the gist, let me now lay it out to you.
Scenario 1: You normally leave home by 5:30am to beat the traffic and today you left home by the same 5:30am and still got to office at the same time.
Scenario 2: You normally leave home by 5:30am to resume by 7:00 but due to traffic you got to work late by 8:30am
Scenario 3: You normally leave home by 7:00am due to free roads but due to the traffic today, you got to the office late.

So which one is it?

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by basadenet: 12:14pm On Dec 19, 2011
First is LASU FEE INCREASE NOW LEKKI TOLL GATE OF EVIL. Lagosians ain't seen nothing yet, this is just the beginning of the worst to come. This ACN govt is the most repressive, oppressive and anti masses Government till date. Fashola name will be written in the Guinness book of record soon. Eko Oni Baje oooooooooooooo.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kx: 12:27pm On Dec 19, 2011
Pity shoprite and others along that axis.

Besides, majority of the dwellers in that axis will be having a second thought now.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ochibs1010(m): 12:29pm On Dec 19, 2011
Akainzo:

Hmmmm, now you are trying to change the post in your story, why?  sad When you posted the pix and claimed that you were in the hold-up for 3 hours, and posted it at 8:48, I asked if you normally/usually leave your house by 5:30am to resume work and you emphatically answered YES.

So which one is it?

you dont deserve a response from me, I REST MY CASE.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by ade80: 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2011
Ola one:

I am sorry.

In the uk, the the people don't have to pay school fees for young children and they have free medical services we don't have that over here so don't compare nigeria to uk
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2011
ochibs1010:

you dont deserve a response from me, I REST MY CASE.

I am not surprised you went this route, it is a time tested refrain of those without ideas or caught out with falsehood. grin grin grin
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by feats(m): 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2011
Another round of protest is necessary. This toll must be reconsidered. PDP to the rescue

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (Reply)

Adams Oshiomhole's Handshake With Elizabeth Ativie (photo) / 'they Were Focused On Rivers, Didn't See It Coming In Kano' - Ben Bruce / "My Bloody Exploits In Sambisa" — Arrested Boko Haram Commander (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.