Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,616 members, 7,813,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:58 AM

Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update - Politics (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update (42303 Views)

Occupy NASS : Hypocrisy Or Genuine Nat­ional Assignment? (photo) / AIG Mbu In Mild Drama At Lekki Toll Plaza / Jonathan’s Rally: Soldiers Occupy Rivers Amiesimaka Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 5:06pm On Dec 23, 2011
pro01:

^^^
Lol. You better be kidding. Nigeria is the only place in the world where an uprising(?) goes on recess so that the protesters can enjoy the holidays (LOL). It simply shows how weak their conviction is. If our North African brothers and sisters had this kind of escapist/defeatist mindset, the likes of Mubarak, Ben Ali and Gaddafi would still be in power by now.

Well, I am willing to give them a break on that since Nigerians are still relatively new to this. I mean I was surprised that anything happened on Sunday, as I imagined a huge majority probably decided that Sunday was not a good day to go protest. LOL

But yeah, I am willing to cut them a break for the holidays in hopes that they will come back, in the new year to continue the fight. And if they don't, I again know that it may be a while still before we start getting our act together especially down in the south.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by soloqy: 8:01am On Dec 25, 2011
Realities of the tolling system and the financial burden on people. I maintain that the tolling amount and system is too expensive.

Please read through the article before commenting on it. The lawyer there made some very valid and salient points.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/lagos-toll-how-we-have-been-marginalised-residents-in-lekki/
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by olafolarin(m): 4:43pm On Dec 26, 2011
Whats the latest on the toll now?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Lasinoh: 1:45pm On Dec 27, 2011
Deleted!
Wrong thread!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jossy26: 9:51pm On Dec 27, 2011
so this thread is still existing, I LAUGH IN EKITI. have said it before and will continue to say it, Nigerians, especially yorubas are bunch of cowards.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 9:54pm On Dec 27, 2011
It appears tolling has come to stay.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by olafolarin(m): 3:49am On Dec 28, 2011
Jarus:

It appears tolling has come to stay.

Who can stop it?
I hope you arent complaining Jarus?
You'll definitely be affected with it.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 3:22pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nigerians love their lives with all the suffering.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 3:31pm On Dec 28, 2011
olafolarin:

Who can stop it?
I hope you arent complaining Jarus?
You'll definitely be affected with it.

Interestingly, I have not paid a single toll. Movement always co-inciding with periods the gates were thrown open to ease traffic, and at other times, I have mastered the alternative cranies and nooks of Lekki. My odechi is still working.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 4:21pm On Dec 28, 2011
@Jarus

good for you; there are always alternatives but trust the average person not to look out for them.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by nex(m): 6:12pm On Dec 28, 2011
@Jarus & Otokx

I will not be sneaking around in my own country just because my elected officials have gone haywire.

@ALL

We need to regroup and bring down that Babylonian Gate. Nigerians need to know how to protest. They did not even get adequate media support, they went on peaceful protest, and they anted to force other "comrades" to join. In addition, other agitators against the TollGate were neither informed nor mobilized.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 11:07pm On Dec 28, 2011
Good luck to you Nex.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by birdman(m): 5:24am On Dec 29, 2011
This protest has fizzled out largely because the politicians stirring the pot have been settled. All the suffering masses wasting their time protesting a legit toll (not the first, and definitely not the last) can now go about their business, knowing they have been used by their real oppressors to make more money.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 8:41am On Dec 29, 2011
I’m alive, says man allegedly shot dead during protest Lekki toll protest

By Albert Akpor

LAGOS – Contrary to media reports that one person was shot dead by the police while several others sustained injuries during the protest that greeted the commencement of toll collection at the Lekki toll gates, the man told newsmen yesterday that he did not die after all.

Femi Ogunsanya, who spoke at the premises of the State Criminal Investigation Department, SCID, Panti, Yaba, however, admitted that he was manhandled by the police but later rushed to the hospital where he was treated and discharged.

The 38 year-old staff of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, Lekki undertaking told journalists that he did not participate in the peaceful protest that later turned violent, stressing that he was just a victim of circumstance.

He said he was shocked when his colleagues drew his attention to a newspaper publication that he was shot dead. According to him, “actually, I was manhandled by the police that day because I woke up in the hospital. I did not participate in the protest. When I closed from office, on my way home, I met Lekki Local Government chairman at the gate and we exchanged pleasantry.

Suddenly, I saw people running, I tried to escape but was grabbed from behind and a hit of gun butt on my head landed me on the ground; that was the only thing I could remember. I am alive.”

Reacting, the state Command Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Samuel Jinadu, appealed to media professionals to always verify their stories before publication, admitting however that policemen were drafted to the crisis area when it became apparent that the hitherto peaceful protest had turned violent.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/i%e2%80%99m-alive-says-man-allegedly-shot-dead-during-protest-lekki-toll-protest/

Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 10:41am On Dec 29, 2011
So @2AMLasgidi, does this report not confirm what I reported on the day of the protest? I thought you were swearing that there was nothing like police brutality on that day? Anyways, we know now that being a Bola Tinubu apologist makes people lose their brains.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 12:02pm On Dec 29, 2011
So we now know that nobody was killed; people should learn to say the truth.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2011
And who said someone was killed? Hope you're not implying that I said so?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 5:15pm On Dec 29, 2011
The One:

So @2AMLasgidi, does this report not confirm what I reported on the day of the protest? I thought you were swearing that there was nothing like police brutality on that day? Anyways, we know now that being a Bola Tinubu apologist makes people lose their brains.

TheOne: People like you are not fit hounourable platform like nairaland at all, Nobody said police did not beat protesters, especially with documentary evidence available. My point was and I remember was Show us the bullet on the victim. More so, I cited my Simon Orukpe of Nigerian info Live broadcast report that the Peaceful Protest went riotous when a protester slapped a policeman. I never said police did not brutalise people only a fool & no brain like you could said that,

I remember also challenging you to produce the picture of the protester with bullet wounds I also made it simpler by saying show me blood anywhere on the floor. I guess you just woke up. I care less about any politician including PDP & ACN big wigs. One by one your lies are crumbling tongue
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by jara: 5:29pm On Dec 29, 2011
This is really shameful, how low can we get?

An innocent man woke up at the hospital in the midst of peaceful protest and people are jubilating. This man could have died just caught in peaceful protest.
Press show students and people that were pepper sprayed in the countries these bastard carry their loot, and people were mad. It caught the attention of the whole country. But in Nigeria, that a man almost died is nothing.

Yes, only Nigerians can save Nigeria. God is not coming down for your insensitivity.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 5:42pm On Dec 29, 2011
jara:

This is really shameful, how low can we get?

An innocent man woke up at the hospital in the midst of peaceful protest and people are jubilating. This man could have died just caught in peaceful protest.
Press show students and people that were pepper sprayed in the countries these bastard carry their loot, and people were mad. It caught the attention of the whole country. But in Nigeria, that a man almost died is nothing.

Yes, only Nigerians can save Nigeria. God is not coming down for your insensitivity.

Jara: I honestly wish you read people's post on that day. It was a shameful thing for Police to have brutalised people at all, But worse still was for some people to come here with pack of lies that someone was shot dead. They claimed the police hacve carried his corpse away and all sort of lies. I think it is worth reporting here too that the same man THEY CLAIMED died finally resurected after Xmas. No jubilation here at all just setting the record straight.

for all I care this guy should sue the Police Authorities and everybody concerned for taking him thru such a bad experience. He could have died.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2011
Thank God this is a forum where you can refer back to your previous posts. Can you please show where I said people died and then YOU told ME to show a picture of the person with bullet wounds. Don't "think", just show us where what you said took place in the history of this thread. If you cannot, can we then conclude that you're the person not fit for nairaland?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by otokx(m): 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2011
The police were attacked by "peaceful" protesters and defended themselves so what are some people saying here.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 8:08pm On Dec 29, 2011
@otoks are you a troll? The events of the day are established by now and it is common knowledge that no one attacked the police. A combination of thugs and police attacked protesters and that it clearly evident in the account of the injured man above.

@2AMLasgidi, below is your reply immediately I posted the happenings on the day-

@TheONE: That's a lie!!! It is shameful that people like you have access to the www or the cyber space only to be spreading ruomurs and lies.

I was at the place here are the pictures to buttress my points. The first one was taken at about 9:40am when they orderly and fully on ground peacefully. I think they got frustrated that having been there since 8.30am or so they couldn’t get even 2,000 people not to talk of 10,000 to occupy the road.

How many were they very scanty actually. The police did not in any way molest them until the protesters started to force motorist to join them as usual of Nigerian protesters. (Must I join U if I don't believe in your cause) That was when the police intervened to make them conduct themselves peacefully. A protester moved forward to slap a policeman in d process for daring to ask them not to molest innocent citizens. This you can confirm from Simon Orukpe of Nigeria Info 99.30 he even reported it live on their station.‎it was then the police used tear gas canister

The second pix here shows how they went to block the toll gate (why)

I didn't see any ACN thugs throughout. We are in a technology age let them post the picture of where the thugs started d crisis,  You can imagine so called people defending the masses blocking same masses from free movement. If the campaign is popular you will not need to force people to join you. These blocked the toll gate preventing us from moving/using d road. This is not civil at all.

Clearly, you said you were there and there were no thugs. I guess the world knows who's lying now.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by 2AMLasgidi: 6:42am On Dec 30, 2011
The One:

@otoks are you a troll? The events of the day are established by now and it is common knowledge that no one attacked the police. A combination of thugs and police attacked protesters and that it clearly evident in the account of the injured man above.

@2AMLasgidi, below is your reply immediately I posted the happenings on the day-

Clearly, you said you were there and there were no thugs. I guess the world knows who's lying now.

You are just exposing how dull you are and how bad you are with tenses!!! my words: "The police did not in any way molest them until the protesters started to force motorist to join them" UNTIL showed clearedly that i admitted they molested as a result of an action, I gave a refrence to a reporter who made a live broadcast from the scene. I wont be suprised if you admit that you learnt everything you know now during yahoo-yahoo dys at a cyber cafe.

Uptil now you have not shown me the picture of the ACN thugs that came to cause mayhem at the place. If people can stand the Police and took pictures of them when they were dealing with protesters badly nobody today both in still & motion could produce picture of the THUGS that came to distrupt the peaceful protest.

Just like I requested on this thread that YOU and your No To Tolling people should evidence of bullent wound on the "supposed Dead Man" who is not resurrected.

Simple English YOU can unev UUnderstand!!! Check your Dictionary for the meaning of UNTIL. Olodo tongue tongue tongue
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 8:08am On Dec 30, 2011
@2AMLasgidi, it is intellectual Liliputians like you that resort to insults and abuse when they cannot marshall their points coherently. In the same report you came to post here with glee the guy said he was attacked by thugs and policemen or you didn't see that part? You have also suddenly changed you position to "asking me and my no-tolling people to show pictures" when you clearly stated earlier that you asked me to do that. There's a lot of inconsistencies in your stories which shows that you are clutching at straws.

It is ironic that you would mention me and yahoo yahoo in the same breathe when the wealth of this nation that your ACN- folks loot comes from the daily hard work that me and my colleagues put in to ensure oil flows into the tank. The fact that I try to engage in intellectual discourse with people on this site does not imply that I am open to cheap shots from your ilk who only know how how feed off crumbs from your paymasters.

I'm done with this already.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Akainzo(m): 8:47am On Dec 30, 2011
The One:

@2AMLasgidi, it is intellectual Liliputians like you that resort to insults and abuse when they cannot marshall their points coherently. In the same report you came to post here with glee the guy said he was attacked by thugs and policemen or you didn't see that part? You have also suddenly changed you position to "asking me and my no-tolling people to show pictures" when you clearly stated earlier that you asked me to do that. There's a lot of inconsistencies in your stories which shows that you are clutching at straws.

It is ironic that you would mention me and yahoo yahoo in the same breathe when the wealth of this nation that your ACN- folks loot comes from the daily hard work that me and my colleagues put in to ensure oil flows into the tank. The fact that I try to engage in intellectual discourse with people on this site does not imply that I am open to cheap shots from your ilk who only know how how feed off crumbs from your paymasters.

I'm done with this already.

Aside from the tiff going on between you and Lasgidi, I would say I read the report and nowhere in the report did the man mention THUGS. He did say he was assaulted by the Police, but he DID NOT mention thugs.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 9:01am On Dec 30, 2011
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/i-am-alive-says-lekki-protest-dead-victim/106024/

Lekki-Epe Toll Gate Protest

By Godwin Haruna

On Saturday December 17, a day to the commencement of the tolling regime of the Lekki-Epe expressway, a large number of residents opposed to the payment of toll fees on the highway came out en masse to register their protest.

The protesters were dispersed by security agents, but not without some incidents. In the ensuing pandemonium that trailed the action of security agents, a man was reportedly killed by policemen and thugs allegedly hired by the Lagos State government.

However, 39-year-old Femi Ogunsanya, the man at the centre of the controversy, told THISDAY Wednesday at the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) that it had become necessary that he cleared the air owing to the crises the news of his alleged death had generated after the protest.

Ogunsanya, a member of staff of Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) Plc, said though he was beaten and injured by the police, he was not shot.

On the allegation that his wife came on air in one of the radio stations to confirm his death, he said: “The whole thing was a shock to me. I have no wife and have never been married before so I do not know who spoke on radio.”

Narrating how he was caught in the web of the crisis generated by the protest, Ogunsanya said: “I was just coming to work that day and when I could not get a bus to Ajah direct, I decided to break my journey. When I got to Lekki, I saw the chairman of the residents association and as I was exchanging greetings with him, I heard gunshots and decided to run for my dear life.

“But before I could run, some policemen and other hoodlums held me and started beating me. I did not know where the gun came from and hit me on the head. That was the last I could remember because I passed out immediately. I was later rushed to the Accident and Emergency Hospital at the Toll Gate. I was treated and I recovered. The scar on my face is as a result of the injuries I sustained on that day. I was not part of the protesters. I was on my way to work. I am the person in the photograph that was published in that newspaper, but you can see that I am not dead. I was shocked when I saw it.”

Speaking to journalists at the SCID Wednesday, the Lagos State Police Command’s spokesman, Mr. Samuel Jinadu, a Deputy Superintendent (DSP), said that the action was to prove to the public that nobody was killed as reported by a national daily a day after the protest.

Jinadu said: “The man who was allegedly killed is the person standing beside me. He is alive and healthy. You can see his legs; he was not shot on the leg or any other part of his body. The command was embarrassed by the report and that is why we brought him here for you to see.”

Jinadu noted that 18 persons were arrested at the toll gate on the day of the protest for unlawful assembly as no permission or approval was granted by the police to the protesters.

He explained that Ogunsanya was one of them and that he was released alongside the other suspects.

The Lagos Police image maker added: “We want to state categorically that although there was little fracas at the place, nobody was killed.”

He told THISDAY Wednesday that Ogunsanya’s re-appearance had put paid to all the rumours of the alleged killing by the police at the protest.

Both the police and the Lagos State government had vehemently denied any death of a protester after the December 17 protests.

The state Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, had set up a probe panel to investigate reports of the death of a protester soon after news of the incident was published.

Tags: ALIVE, DEAD VICTIM, Featured, LEKKI PROTEST, News, Nigeria
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 9:12am On Dec 30, 2011
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by RuuDie(m): 10:08am On Dec 30, 2011
Well, I reckon we shouldn't all prematurely assume that the protest has fizzled to nothingness. . . . .there's a million and one other ways to hurt the LCC-LASG alliance - best of all would be ACN losing a huge chunk of the SW in coming polls. So. . . . . . . It ain't over till the fat lady sings!
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Kobojunkie: 11:27am On Dec 30, 2011
^^ You would at least expect them to have a website . . . I mean considering what we have learnt so far from the rest of the world. Not even a facebook face for the protest group. Wetin be this?
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by TheOne2(m): 9:15am On Jan 02, 2012
Buhahahahahaha!!!!!

I laugh in Spanish! All the goons that were here justifying tolling and calling those of us who dared protest names are now on other threads ranting and raving about fuel subsidy removal. The same way you people said tolling is "development", subsidy removal too is "development". The same way the back roads in Oniru are alternatives, bicycles and trekking are also alternatives. The same way anubody that cannot afford to live in Lagos should leave, those who can't afford Nigeria should move to Cameroun.

What I like about this situation is that it has come full cycle in just 2 weeks and all those that have been justifying Fashola fraud and injustice that actually feel what it is to be on the end of such.
Re: Occupy Lekki: Lekki Toll Gate Protest-update by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 02, 2012
At last I paid toll on Saturday. 120 fiam

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Lere Olayinka Analyzes Photos Of President Buhari With Oyegun & Governors / Akin Alabi Commissions ₦‎100 Million Modern Football Pitch / Niger Delta Avengers Guerrilla Methods A Nightmare To The Military - Daily Trust

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.