Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,613 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc (9171 Views)

2nd Niger Bridge: Oshiomhole Must Apologise To Nigerians, Say CSOs / How I Will Spend My Four- Day Stay In America – Buhari / Work On-going At 2nd Niger Bridge (video Proof) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by koruji(m): 4:43am On Dec 22, 2011
Very funny indeed - now I am really, really sorry for u.

Beaf:

^
Believe me, I am more sorry for you. All you do is bounce around the place making personal attacks, making no sense whatsoever, blowing with the wind and standing for nothing. I recall you even lying about the "free farmland" your hero, Aregbesola gave farmers on an elephant reserve (only to get thugs to beat them off it).
Please further increase your font size to 1000pt bro, it tells something about you.

Your type is called, hypocrite. You pretend to be for the people, but you stand for corruption and ethnic bigotry.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 5:17am On Dec 22, 2011
Really, must every thread be turned into this??
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kolababa: 8:24am On Dec 22, 2011
Last month, I was discussing with an uncle of mine who happens to be a chieftain of PDP. When I challenged him on why his PDP Party claimed they will rule Nigeria forever, he said that is not pdp want to rig future elections. He said pdp is banking on the nature of Nigerians. He confided in me that throughout the world, Nigerians are the only people that are easily deceived and fooled several times with the same propaganda. He said ethnicity and religious sentiment is another good weapon PDP uses to always cling to power. He said he initially posited that with way pDP was ruling Nigeria, PDP would not win 2011 election but what happened in April 2011 gave him a 100% assurance that irrespective of her misrule, PDP will rule till eternity.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:55am On Dec 22, 2011
[size=14pt]A oil producing country like Nigeria should be ashamed of having subsidy for a resources abundantly avialable in the land. Oil subsidy must go.[/size] angry
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by jpphilips(m): 10:51am On Dec 22, 2011
I agree mostly with what you’ve said as I’ve advocated the same thing except for the “insider knowledge” and the running refineries costing us more. I know that the FG will need to subsidize the crude oil to the refineries or remove the artificial peg on the cost of fuel at the pump; otherwise, no private investor will touch the refineries with a 10 foot pole!

However, I’m not yet convinced that fuel from our refineries at a 100% capacity will cost us more than the current subsidy. It defies logic because the imported fuel that we buy also incurs the same type of production costs we face locally. The math is as straight forward as outline below:

Cost of crude oil (Drilling cost + opportunity cost of not exporting) + refining cost + profit + transportation = fuel price at the pump.

let me see if i can convince you on the Red part,

you see in Nigeria, the Govt has NO LOCAL OIL PRODUCTION CAPACITY. this is what finished this country.

if you build a refinery in Nigeria today, where will you get the crude oil from? when the 2.37m barrels are produced, Nigeria collects its about 1.4m bbls while the IOC's collect the rest.

so the only option you have in Nigeria as a refinery owner is to

1, buy from IOC's (through an MOU agreement, like some power plants are doing with gas)
2, buy from Nigerian Govt
3, benefit from the Govt DSO policy.

lets talk cost now.

price of option 1 is intl crude price (above 90usd per bbl) spdc,agip etc are no charity organizations

price of option 2 is intl crude price, (Nigeria has budget to implement)

price of option 3 is about 18usd per bbl but not until the senate declaration to push the price to intl market price.
see the reasons on my previous post

so as an investor who has a refinery on ground where else will you source your oil from cheaper?
you see where the problem lies.

Now lemme explain further how it affects the Govt.

if govt rolls out a budget of 4.3 trillion for example, it doesn't mean they have the whole money stashed somewhere, they only make projections on earnings for the year.

Now the Govt intend to implement this budget through oil earning whose anticipated value is pegged at 75 usd/bbl

if the govt is entitled to 1.4m bbl/d and oil is selling at 75usd/bbl at the time, the Govt earning is 105,000,000usd/d in monetary terms.

if the Govt decides to fund these refineries and supply them with crude, you will fund it from the 1.4m bbl/d accrued to the FG.

that has its own monetary value too, so if we have three refineries (assuming it is working at optimum capacity) of 450,000bbl/d.

if you give them from the 1.4m pegged at 75usd the govt will lose 450,000 X 75usd = 33,750,000 usd/d.

this forms the cost of raw materials going to these refineries, remember that this sum is subtracted from the Govts daily 105,000,000. leaving the Govt with

71,250,000 usd/d how do you implement budget from this change?

i did a 2wks research on the additional refining cost for the crude and selling at 65naira/l brother ,my findings were shocking.

even after losing 33,750,000 usd you will still need to subsidize to sell at 65 naira, while some budget remains unimplemented

literally speaking it is in the interest of the Govt to cripple those refineries, sell their 1.4m bbl/d of crude and earn their 105,000,000 then pay as little as 76naira/l as subsidy

except we make robust investment in local production capacity,and fight corruption in the subsidy regime we are in this shit forever.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by olawalebabs(m): 10:51am On Dec 22, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

[size=14pt]A oil producing country like Nigeria should be ashamed of having subsidy for a resources abundantly avialable in the land. Oil subsidy must go.[/size] angry
Do you know what you are saying.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by rareman(m): 11:03am On Dec 22, 2011
am sorry Nigerians I voted for this govt, am really regretting it, what do I do? How can I make amend? Everyday with each plan that comes out of this man's head I realise that we are sinking more deeply.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by olawalebabs(m): 11:45am On Dec 22, 2011
Sanusi is the only one who can present a convincing argument without being over academic
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by olawalebabs(m): 11:46am On Dec 22, 2011
We have spent more money on paying for subsidy than we earn from oil income ~ SLS
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by maclatunji: 2:06pm On Dec 22, 2011
Let us imagine that we allow the removal of fuel subsidy on January 1, 2012. What do you think will happen?

1. This new board with 'Men of unquestionable integrity' will be constituted. They will promise Nigerians to follow strictly their terms of reference.

2. Three  years down the line on January 1, 2015, the listed projects would not have reached 50% completion in total and the money would have been spent with the Federal Government looking for funds to finance  the 2015 general elections as well. This failure will be blamed on corruption and unforseen circumstances.

3. Many would have died because they lost their homes or were just unable to get additional income to meet prohibitive costs of living.

4. There will be a bigger mess than we  have right now and the National Assembly will probe the board and the savings on fuel subsidy only to find massive corruption and waste of resources. Nigeria will then have to borrow to finance the budget by 2015.

I would rather not remove the subsidy because the above is likely to happen even if you allow GEJ do exactly as he wishes. You see how low we have sunk!
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2011
i still stand on bringin up our refineries and givin it to private firms to run
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Dec 22, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Let's get you actually doing some homework. How many other oil producing countries do you know of that do not have such subsidies in place? Please name them
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by babsomotde(m): 8:36pm On Dec 22, 2011
have nothing to say than GOD LEAD OUR LEADERS ARIGHT. I PRAY JONATHAN, MY FATHER'S JUNIOR SISTER AUNTY UNCLE COUSIN , NEVER GO THE WRONG WAY THIS TIME. lol
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:14pm On Dec 22, 2011
olawalebab:

Do you know what you are saying.
Kobojunkie:

Let's get you actually doing some homework. How many other oil producing countries do you know of that do not have such subsidies in place? Please name them

Look oil subsidies no doubt helps to maintain a lower price for domestic consumption but that price variation isn't much after the subsidy removal.

Subsidy only maintains an inefficient system. One, it means the quantity for fuel available for export would be less and thus puts Nigeria at an uncompetitive position amongst other OPEC countries. The market becomes unattractive for potential investors that would build refineries and create jobs in the process.

Two, Domestic oil traders benefit from selling subsidies oil with the gov and tax-payer bearing the true cost. These are the people that have become billionaires over night and fighting really hard to keep subsidies.

Three, the money gov invest on subsidies for these oil profiteers could be invested on better transport network, education, health and electrity.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 9:17pm On Dec 22, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

Look oil subsidies no doubt helps to maintain a lower price for domestic consumption but that price variation isn't much after the subsidy removal.

Subsidy only maintains an inefficient system. One, it means the quantity for fuel available for export would be less and thus puts Nigeria at an uncompetitive position amongst other OPEC countries. The market becomes unattractive for potential investors that would build refineries and create jobs in the process.

Two, Domestic oil traders benefit from selling subsidies oil with the gov and tax-payer bearing the true cost. These are the people that have become billionaires over night and fighting really hard to keep subsidies.

Three, the money gov invest on subsidies for these oil profiteers could be invested on better transport network, education, health and electrity.

I asked you a very simple question but meaningless babble considering that your claims on subsidy, in general, are unsubstantiated ones.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 9:44pm On Dec 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Kobojunkie:

I asked you a very simple question but meaningless babble considering that your claims on subsidy, in general, are unsubstantiated ones.

The fifteen-largest oil producers outside OPEC Russia, the United States, China, Mexico, Canada, Norway, and Brazil. Britain.  NOPEC/ Northsea oil producing countries.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Kobojunkie: 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
Bliss4Lyfe:

The fifteen-largest oil producers outside OPEC Russia, the United States, China, Mexico, Canada, Norway, and Brazil. Britain.  NOPEC

I wouldn't really attempt to start this by comparing Nigeria with some of the biggest economies in the world today but let's go with the countries on your list there that make some sense to Nigeria.

Are you sure you did your homework on Subsidy in Mexico? Seriously? Cause a simple google check would reveal you didn't. Same case with Russia. Now again, please do your homework.
Re: How We Will Spend Subsidy • 2nd Niger Bridge + Lagos To Get Biggest Refinery etc by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 10:12pm On Dec 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I wouldn't really attempt to start this by comparing Nigeria with some of the biggest economies in the world today but let's go with the countries on your list there that make some sense to Nigeria.

Are you sure you did your homework on Subsidy in Mexico? Seriously? Cause a simple google check would reveal you didn't. Same case with Russia. Now again, please do your homework.

lollz, u are very funny. Putting it better Northsea oil producing countries. Britain and Norway etc  grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N100m Donation: Falana Calls For Sanction Against Sanusi / Muhammadu Buhari's Polling Unit Result / Nigeria Police Invite Omoyele Sowore, Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.