Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. (9461 Views)

I Usually Helped Badeh Convert N558m From Staff Salaries To Dollars, Witness / Rochas Okorocha Owing Workers. Pensioners 13 Month Salaries.. / FG Owes 70,000 Workers Three-month Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Gbawe: 9:04am On Dec 21, 2011
Oh dear. What will the Nairaland haters of Aregbesola now talk about?

http://www.osundefender.org/?p=23830

Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers•Reiterates Its Commitment To People’s Welfare

In line with its promise to pay priority attention to the welfare of workers in its employment, the Osun State government under the administration of Governor Rauf Aregbesola has paid 13th month salaries to all the civil servants in the state.
In a statement signed by the Director, Bureau of Communication and Strategy, Office of the Governor, Mr Semiu Okanlawon, the governor said that he would allow nothing to stop him from fulfilling his promises to improve the welfare of the workers and the entire people of the state.
According to the statement, [size=14pt]the government has paid the 13th month salary inspite of the fact that November allocation has not been received from the federation account, saying that the government has been gradually achieving its target to commit the allocation from federation account to development projects alone.[/size]
“The payment of the 13th month salary comes up inspite of the fact that the state has not received its November allocation from the Federation Account, giving a clear indication of the readiness of the state to ensure that nothing disrupts its welfarist programmes for the workers and the entire people of the state”.
It would be recalled that the governor, shortly after his enthronement as the governor of the state in 2010 ordered that the 13th month salaries be paid to all the workers in the state civil service, making the administration the first to do so in the history of the state.
The governor has also directed that the salaries of all categories of workers in the state civil service must be paid on or before 26th of every month, with a view to encouraging the workers and ensuring their commitment, as well as making the problems they had been facing on the payment of their salaries a thing of the past.
Meanwhile, the state government has also paid the December salaries for all the workers in the state in line with the directive that they must be paid their salaries before the Christmas festivities.
The statement however noted that the present administration would not relent in its effort to make life comfortable to the people and turn around the economy of the state by encouraging them to be more productive and make them wealthy through their hand works.
Aregbesola had assured the people that despite the shoddy manners in which the finances of the state was handled by the ousted administration of Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, his administration was determined to return the financial and economy prosperity of the state.
The statement then called on the people of the state not to waver from the support they have been giving to the government with a view to ensuring that it met its desired goals of improving the lots of the people.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Ufeolorun(m): 10:05am On Dec 21, 2011
I am christian languish lagard of the international monetary flop and I declare Aregbesola as the most intelligent person in Nigeria.
Lol!

Good but they have to earn it,just being on the payroll isn't enough
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by seanet02: 2:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
Beaf where are you?
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Demdem(m): 3:13pm On Dec 21, 2011
But, I tot beaf said ogbeni is owning workers for months?
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Kobojunkie: 3:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
Osundefender again? Does anyother news paper carry this same story? I don't trust Osun Defender to report unbiased news as regards this man. e too much!
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Gbawe: 3:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
Demdem:

But,   I tot beaf said ogbeni is owning workers for months?

Well, propaganda , and not reality, is what some do best. What is written below is the most interesting part of the article for me. When , in his 7.5 years in charge, was Oyinlola not brandishing the begging bowl indolently?

the government has paid the 13th month salary[b] inspite of the fact that November allocation has not been received from the federation account, saying that the government has been gradually achieving its target to commit the allocation from federation account to development projects alone.[/b]
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Demdem(m): 3:45pm On Dec 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Osundefender again? Does anyother news paper carry this same story? I don't trust Osun Defender to report unbiased news as regards this man. e too much!

Things like this can't be lied about I guess. Infact, tribune would've published the lie immediately. They are yet to.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by kuramo: 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2011
Quickest way to financial ruin, paying workers for work not done. That's how Greece got itself into its present economic predicament.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Beaf: 3:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
Another "free farmland" in an elephant reserve story. Aregbesola is full of gas and high stories.
Like I predicted with the "free farmlands," where the farmers got brutalised by Aregbesola's thugs for breaking the law as soon as the camera's were gone; so it will be with the harpless Osun state workers. Those farmers got the most thorough beating they had ever received, they were frightened off Aregbes "free farmlands" with the most vicious helpings of slaps, punches and drop-kicks they had ever witnessed.

Osun states workers have been victims of the many Aregbe experiments; owed two or three months wages through AregbeRASCALs tenure (while awaiting the miraculous dry season); this is yet another expensive experiment on the long suffering people. Its like guinea pigs in a madmans lab, watch out for the real drama in the next couple of months.

All hail RASCALS! grin
It would be comical, if it wasn't so tragic.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Demdem(m): 4:02pm On Dec 21, 2011
Egbon mi razist, pls kindly tell us how much ogbeni is owning his workers now and spare us all these tori.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
kuramo:

Quickest way to financial ruin, paying workers for work not done. That's how Greece got itself into its present economic predicament.

lol . . .  . no now, in Nigeria, this is instead another opportunity for sycophants to throw another praise party.

Me I wan find out if the new true at all.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Ejine(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
Not quite what I'd call an 'economically healthy' decision, no offence.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by oderemo(m): 5:14pm On Dec 21, 2011
This is one country we praise civil servant lyk aregbesola doing the job they almost kill to get.
Now what do we expect of him?
Refuse topay wages when its due?
I want to see real govt plans and proper execussion that bring dev. And not something that is achieved by a simple stroke of the pen.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by manny4life(m): 6:54pm On Dec 21, 2011
13 months pay?

Why would they wanna do that? I mean how do they do their pay schedule to accommodate a 13th month? From a social standpoint, good, from a financial standpoint, very bad decision .
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Demdem(m): 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
manny4life:

13 months pay?

Why would they wanna do that? I mean how do they do their pay schedule to accommodate a 13th month? From a social standpoint, good, from a financial standpoint, very bad decision .

Financial stand point, interesting. From the same guy that just sanctioned another set of bullet proof cars for the retardeen.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by VEE2010(m): 7:00pm On Dec 21, 2011
Hope this is not another fraud in disguise? We all counted on Baba Fash admin here but, not thought of any evil toll, hope the major road leading to Osogbo will be toll free after this exercise?
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by gulfer: 7:07pm On Dec 21, 2011
VEE2010:

Hope this is not another fraud in disguise? We all counted on Baba Fash admin here but, not thought of any evil toll, hope the major road leading to Osogbo will be toll free after this exercise?
I share your pessimisms on this one too, this was how Tinubu wooed all Lagos to CAN which is now being suffered in BRFs hand. Come to think about it, has he agreed to the minimum wage across board?
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by 1forall: 7:11pm On Dec 21, 2011
The Oyo governor earlier this week promised to do same so it's not just Osun, and it's not an entirely new practice in the state civil service.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/29924-oyo-workers-to-get-13th-month-salary.html

Beaf:

Another "free farmland" in an elephant reserve story. Aregbesola is full of gas and high stories.
Like I predicted with the "free farmlands," where the farmers got brutalised by Aregbesola's thugs for breaking the law as soon as the camera's were gone; so it will be with the harpless Osun state workers. Those farmers got the most thorough beating they had ever received, they were frightened off Aregbes "free farmlands" with the most vicious helpings of slaps, punches and drop-kicks they had ever witnessed.

Osun states workers have been victims of the many Aregbe experiments; owed two or three months wages through AregbeRASCALs tenure (while awaiting the miraculous dry season); this is yet another expensive experiment on the long suffering people. Its like guinea pigs in a madmans lab, watch out for the real drama in the next couple of months.

All hail RASCALS! grin
It would be comical, if it wasn't so tragic.

Wait, what exactly are you trying to say?
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 21, 2011
This i dont believe coming from that site, 90% of Osun residents dont have internet access to see this, they would have cried for help
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by manny4life(m): 7:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
Demdem:

Financial stand point, interesting. From the same guy that just sanctioned another set of bullet proof cars for the retardeen.

YES I DID,  and I stand by my word!

The president security detail DOESN'T come cheap, as much as you and I hate or like it. The president did not purchase a $50million jet, the cars are a need particularly to a president of a nation like Nigeria. As opposed to a gov paying 13month salary while I wouldn't consider that a waste, doesn't make any sense to me.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Nchara: 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2011
I guess they need the money

Why we can’t tax Osun people, by Aregbesola
By Adesoji Adeniyi 21 hours 46 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font
Rauf Aregbesola Rauf Aregbesola

Osun State Governor Rauf Aregbesola at the weekend explained why his administration has refused to tax the people.

Aregbesola said his people are very poor and tax would be an unnecessary burden on them.

He spoke at the Banquet Hall of the State House in Osogbo, the state capital, during a dinner with representatives of various financial institutions.

The dinner was part of activities marking the one year anniversary of the Aregbesola administration in office.

The governor urged the institutions to assist in eradicating poverty in the state, assuring them of security and a business friendly environment.

He solicited for funds to finance capital projects and programmes that would improve the state’s economy.

Aregbesola said: “I am in Osun State to eradicate poverty. If you are talking about Unclad poverty, it is here in the state. We can not tax anybody here because we do not want them to die.

“Are we going to tax people waiting to die? We were able to save 13 million in the last year, not through tax, but by blocking leakages in the system. So you bankers have no choice than to help us deliver good governance to the people. We need your support to eradicate poverty.

“I am amused about the uninformed comments of our predecessor in office about the finances of the state. They are confused and cannot comprehend what we are doing because they are not financially literate.

“We have the vision, passion and action. I am here to change the fate of the black man through the various programmes and projects of our unusual and unconventional government.

“My predecessor left the state’s account in a bad state. We met a suffocating loan of N18.3 billion, which the Olagunsoye Oyinlola administration secured in an unprofessional manner.

“But within a year in office, my administration was able to increase the Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) of the state from N300 million to N600 million and pay the loan through the access of N25 million bond from the bank, with the monthly servicing of less than N100 million, instead of the N800 million used to service the former loan.”

The governor said his administration does not wait for the federal allocation before it pays its workers, adding that any state waiting for it is doomed.

He said states rejected the October allocation because of President Goodluck Jonathan’s decision to deduct some amount from it for the creation of Sovereign Wealth.

Aregbesola said nobody has the right to deduct from any state’s allocation without the governor’s consent.

He advised state governments to exploit other avenues for generating revenue.

Commissioner for Finance, Economic Planning and Budgeting, Dr. wale Bolorunduro said the government plans to increase the IGR to N1 billion next year.

On incessant bank robberies in the state, Bolorunduro said the government has collaborated with security agencies to forestall a recurrence. He said the governor has ordered for five Armoured Personnel Carriers (APCs) and established a security trust fund to combat the menace.

Many of the bank executives acknowledged the governor’s passion for development and promised to support his administration.

They include: Ayo Abina, Skye Bank; Elias Akenzua, Zenith Bank; Akinleye Ogunleye, Diamond Bank; and Boyin Oladokun, Unity Bank.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/27811-why-we-can%E2%80%99t-tax-osun-people%2C-by-aregbesola.html
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Nchara: 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2011
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-149827.0.html
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Bash92(m): 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
Propaganda. For your information it was also paid through out oyinlola's time and was called "Christmas Bonus". To comfirm if you have a resident who is a worker in the state ask him/her. Most of you are not resident in osun all you know about the state is what is been carried on the pages of newspaper. Let's not sentiment blind our judgement and as of today the best governor osun has had since is creation is OYINLOLA hope Aregbesola surpas him.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by greeze: 7:45pm On Dec 21, 2011
minister of political tog and defence in lagos, governor of rascals in osun
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by Nchara: 7:47pm On Dec 21, 2011
Enugu pays 13th month salary today (no announcement in the Newspaper)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-829892.0.html

But why is Aregbesola making this something newsworthy? Could it be that he has nothing else to celebrate as achievement during the closing year?
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by greeze: 7:48pm On Dec 21, 2011
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by greeze: 7:48pm On Dec 21, 2011
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by wisepluto(m): 8:30pm On Dec 21, 2011
on d fastest lane to bankruptcy,
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by sheyguy: 8:31pm On Dec 21, 2011
Nchara:

Enugu pays 13th month salary today (no announcement in the Newspaper)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-829892.0.html

But why is Aregbesola making this something newsworthy? Could it be that he has nothing else to celebrate as achievement during the closing year?

for a state in debt just a yr ago i expect it in the news oh.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by daphil: 8:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
Aregbesola is not ready to tax Osun people abi! I dey laugh o. You will soon know that the hardship lagosians are facing in the hand of Raji Fashola will be incomparable to what Osun people will experience in the hand of Rauf. Just let them give him another tenure.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by charlsecy4(m): 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
How could there be a 13th month in a 12-month year? Someone explain, please.
Re: Osun Pays 13th Month Salaries To Workers. by GboyegaD(m): 9:43pm On Dec 21, 2011
Bash92:

Propaganda. For your information it was also paid through out oyinlola's time and was called "Christmas Bonus". To comfirm if you have a resident who is a worker in the state ask him/her. Most of you are not resident in osun all you know about the state is what is been carried on the pages of newspaper. Let's not sentiment blind our judgement and as of today the best governor osun has had since is creation is OYINLOLA hope Aregbesola surpas him.

Bash92,
Pls tell me the above statement is only but a joke. Oyinlola is the worst that has ever happened to Osun in its 20years of creation. In my opinion, the best of governors so far in Osun State is the Akande led government and the greatest error of his tenure was sacking some teachers claiming the subject they teach is irrelevant. Outside that, most development in the state were during his tenure.

daphil:

Aregbesola is not ready to tax Osun people abi! I dey laugh o. You will soon know that the hardship lagosians are facing in the hand of Raji Fashola will be incomparable to what Osun people will experience in the hand of Rauf. Just let them give him another tenure.

I do not understand what he meant by not taxing them. If he is referring to PIT, then I do not have a problem because most civil servants are lower level officers who earn peanuts but whatever is good for the goose is good for the garner so he should also extend that to private workers however, this would lead to income leakage no matter how small it may seem compared to allocations. He should however not cease to exercise other taxes such as property tax amongst others.

charlsecy4:

How could there be a 13th month in a 12-month year? Someone explain, please.

The 13th month tax is usually 10% of your basic salary which is often taken from your annual basic from the beginning of the year. However, his idea of paying them 13th month out of the state fund is more of a jamboree because it was never deducted from their basic. Whilst this move is seen as one he is using to endear people to him, government should not run like a charity and he should inform the staff that henceforth, in order to benefit same in subsequent years, they would have to start deducting that portion from their annual salary.

I have confirmed from my cousin and it is true the government paid them 13th month.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dalung Breaks Ramadan Fast With Mohammed Bello, FCT Minister (photos) / Police Plot To Tackle Shiites In Borno - Premium Times / Magnus Abe: Only Tinubu Can Keep APC In Power After Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.