Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,686 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage (8756 Views)

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Thecable Apologises To Soyinka Over ‘Igbo’ Story / Thecable Apologises To Soyinka Over ‘igbo’ Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Torombo(m): 7:36pm On Dec 22, 2011
I think what Soyinka is saying isn't about supporting or not supporting g8ys but whether it should be an issue of criminal law and hence asking Senators to go back to school.

Adultery and fornication are also abhorrent to our cultural and religious values but I don't hear many people clamouring to make them criminal offences.  The problem here is about saying that something should be a crime (sending someone to prison if found guilty) because we find it objectionable on moral,cultural or religious grounds.  This is dangerous because where do we stop?  Do we send someone to jail for lying to their wife or husband?

Criminal law should only apply where a person's action affects someone else that doesn't give their consent.  Theft, corruption, assault, murder clearly falls within that remit.  What two consenting adults do in their bedroom shouldn't as long as there is no coersion involved, under-aged or assault on public decency.

If sending g8ys to prison could eradicate homos3xuality, then you wouldn't still have it in western countries.  Up till less than 50 years ago, G8ys were regularly jailed in the UK and USA.  The famous writer, Oscar Wilde and Alan Turing, who invented computers are 2 examples.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by elampiro(m): 9:21pm On Dec 22, 2011
Too much book.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Royou: 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2011
No state or person has any right to determine or enforce a man's sexuality!

The constant rape and dehumanization of the Nigerian state and people should be treated with the measures the National Assembly is throwing at the gay community.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by doofanc: 10:47pm On Dec 22, 2011
US NAVY WOMEN HAVE FIRST G.AY KISS .>>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16308478

^^^this is what Soyinka wants for the country, abi?
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by scholes0(m): 11:02pm On Dec 22, 2011
Gosh!!, Nigerians are soooo rigid in their views, and yet, they are soo Ignorant, that they dont even realize it!!
Goodluck to you guyz o,  gay Nigerians in the diaspora, should count themselves lucky, to live in a more civilized society, where the rights of everyone is respected.

I wil take all these Nigerian  people opposing gays seriously, the day Nigerians clamour en-masse for for the imprisonment of people who chose not to marry {Remain celibate}, because that is not a ''cultural'' thing to do, in the Nigerian society.
  Nigerians embraced celibacy, in the name of Catholicism, but accepting something, that was always part of the society, is noow a problem, and they keep justifying themselves, with reasons deeply rooted in Western and Middle Eastern traditions,

Even at that, its only a matter of time before gays enjoy their basic rights everywhere in the whole wide world, I doubt it will take that long , before Nigerians start seeing reason.
A country where almost 20% of all High school students now engage in A'nal s'ex!! [Something that would have been unheard of 30 years ago}
  Soo many Nigerians are just too afraid to voice their views, because they want to ''conform'' , just the same way people join others in ''bad mouthing'' a particular group of people, just because they don't want to feel ''left out'',  Soyinka is one Nigerian I respect for having and Sharing HIS OWN VIEWS, irrespective of what people think,  Kudos.! , U will always remain a respected intellectual to me.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by scholes0(m): 11:09pm On Dec 22, 2011
And as for those people calling Soyinka''An Old silly man'', what have you achieved in your own little  Lives, that permits you to call a WORLD ACHIEVER such degrading names?? . see all of them criticizing the humble man, with all their bad grammar, and egocentric minds,
    Maybe the use of the WWW, should be limited, only to the smartest ones,  I keep asking myself these questions everyday, because the level of Stoopidity i see daily on Nairaland, is enough to make one loose hope in Naija.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by claremont(m): 11:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
The problem with religious goons is that they claim to know everything simply because of their affiliation to religion. Religious goons claim to know who made man, who a man should have s-ex with and/or what position, where a man will go when he/she dies; it is this singular attribute which they often boast about that makes them look and sound laughable and farcical.

What right has religion/religious goons to dictate to humanity what morality means?! They know absolutely nothing about morality, all the monotheistic religions are blatantly immoral; the past and most recent history of all monotheistic religions are paved with the sorrow, tears, and blood of millions of innocent souls. Religion is in no position to dictate what actions are deemed to be moral and vice versa.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by guonno: 11:41pm On Dec 22, 2011
It depends on his reasons. If gay is baned then the screwing of 13 year old by our leaders in the name of islamic marriage should be banned. If some group of shameless pedophiles could screw children, which is against our constitution, then why should they jail same sex psychoz? Think we dont understand wole soyinka. Its human right violation to restrict two consenting adults from loving each other. I no be GAY O!
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by aikuda(m): 11:59pm On Dec 22, 2011
@Evil Brain said:
Besides nobody is threatening to force us to do anything. All they are saying is if we don't behave, then they'll take their aid money somewhere else, which is a perfectly legitimate position.

It is this kind of codescending attitude towards African countries that I am talking about. There is no need for such arrogance. Now that the Nigerian Government has called their bluff lets wait and see what they will do. I can asure you that no aid will be withdrawn. It all political posturing. You think they provide aid that does not advance their interest? If you research a liitle bit about the politics of aid to developing countries, you will understand why I said no aid will be removed for this purpose.  At the end, all they would have done is to create a more hostile environment for gay people in Nigeria. As I said before there are a lot of ways to support the advancement of  the rights of gays in a country like Nigeria other than cheap political propaganda: Quietly support existing local rights groups; use influential nigerians to sensitize people and lobby against the bill.

And I dont think that most people in US and Britian really care whether their government stop giving aid to nigeria on this issue (If they have their way no aid will be given to any country any way). There are a lot of bigots in the us and britain as well. Some are being won over. Nigeria needs time to do same. Threats wont do it.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Torombo(m): 12:13am On Dec 23, 2011
claremont:

The problem with religious goons is that they claim to know everything simply because of their affiliation to religion. Religious goons claim to know who made man, who a man should have s-ex with and/or what position, where a man will go when he/she dies; it is this singular attribute which they often boast about that makes them look and sound laughable and farcical.

What right has religion/religious goons to dictate to humanity what morality means?! They know absolutely nothing about morality, all the monotheistic religions are blatantly immoral; the past and most recent history of all monotheistic religions are paved with the sorrow, tears, and blood of millions of innocent souls. Religion is in no position to dictate what actions are deemed to be moral and vice versa.

This is exactly the same attitude that Boko Haram has.

They not only reject western civilization for themselves and their children but claim it's their religious duty to bomb and kill you and your children if you don't accept the same values too!
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by jovier: 12:17am On Dec 23, 2011
Can much thinking make one lose his thought? Can much reading make one lose his mind? Can much exposure make one became a fool? embarassed

We all once believed in morality. We all once believed in godliness. We all once believed in the existence of an unseen God and we kept His instructions. But, what can we say now. Could advancement in technology make us fool again. The Bible says a fool says in his heart that there is no God, and he will not obey Him.

Either there is advancement in technology or not. Either the inventions are turning the world upside down, this truth ever stands: The standard of our God cannot be changed. It will be too unfortunate for the nobel prize winner who is in support of same-sex marriage to discover that he has lived his entire life on the wrong side of life after he's left here.

But my sincere prayer is this: God will my mercy save his soul and every other individual who has lost their faith, morality, integrity and all God's demands of lifestyles.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Torombo(m): 12:34am On Dec 23, 2011
jovier:

Can much thinking make one lose his thought? Can much reading make one lose his mind? Can much exposure make one became a fool? embarassed

We all once believed in morality. We all once believed in godliness. We all once believed in the existence of an unseen God and we kept His instructions. But, what can we say now. Could advancement in technology make us fool again. The Bible says a fool says in his heart that there is no God, and he will not obey Him.

Either there is advancement in technology or not. Either the inventions are turning the world upside down, this truth ever stands: The standard of our God cannot be changed. It will be too unfortunate for the nobel prize winner who is in support of same-sex marriage to discover that he has lived his entire life on the wrong side of life after he's left here.

But my sincere prayer is this: God will my mercy save his soul and every other individual who has lost their faith, morality, integrity and all God's demands of lifestyles.

@Jovier - True democracy means "I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." (Voltaire)
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by emmatok(m): 12:37am On Dec 23, 2011
Same-sex Marriage is not secrete or private, it is public.

How many US states have Same-sex Marriage legalized.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by scholes0(m): 12:41am On Dec 23, 2011
[QUOTE]Can much thinking make one lose his thought? Can much reading make one lose his mind? Can much exposure make one became a fool?

[/QUOTE]

Oh pleease!!, Keep all that bible hoogie boogie, away and lets argue like intellectuals.!!, tell me, if u would even know what a bible is, if the white man never stepped foot, on African shores. undecided
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Torombo(m): 12:45am On Dec 23, 2011
emmatok:

Same-sex Marriage is not secrete or private, it is public.

How many US states have Same-sex Marriage legalized.

And how many people have you heard advocating for same-sex marriage in Nigeria?
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by ak21(m): 12:56am On Dec 23, 2011
I totaly concur with Profesor Whole Soyinka. Gay right should be approved and for the record, it is not homosexuality but homofobia that is causing confussion in Nigeria! Those guys at the National assembly really needs some education!
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 12:57am On Dec 23, 2011
scholes0:

Oh pleease!!, Keep all that bible hoogie boogie, away and lets argue like intellectuals.!!,  tell me, if u would even know what a bible is, if the white man never stepped foot, on African shores.  undecided
Brother you have to realize that the bible is written by black people inspired by God. the bible had nothing to do with white people. all the manuscripts of the bible were gotten from africa (only it wasnt called africa then. this is a white mans name. africanus scipio). these manuscripts were in africa when africa was the citadel of learning of the world. places like timbucktu is where all the so called greek scholars came to get their education. during this period africans ruled europe. the moors were all over portugal, italy and spain. they were civilizing all these places. the africans slowly started to loose their power in europe and it was during this time that the greek scholars that visited africa asked to translate the hebrew manuscripts to greek. well the rest is history from there. the greeks stole it as theirs because at this point in time the black race was getting kicked out of rulership in europe. the greeks then handed it to the latin and then the romans. so basically what you have today is black history regurgitated to us by the europeans in a compiled form under the tutelage of emperor constantine. the compiled form is the bible. they of course removed parts of it called the apocrypha because it was an indicator of the root of the manuscript and of the people the bible is talking about.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 1:07am On Dec 23, 2011
so when the white man compiled the manuscripts into the bible. he rubbed his hand in glee at the powerful effect this could have in controlling the people. back then the pagan tradition was the dominant tradition in europe. so emperor constantine in trying to win over all the factions of paganism and christianity melded both doctrines together and came up with christianity. here are a few pagan traditions
1, worshipping on sunday. the sabbath is really saturday
2, xmas
3, easter
4, they also needed to compete with islam that was rising and felt that the image of the black jesus (BLACK MADONNA) they were using would not win over many converts. hence they ushered in the period called the rennaisance in which they painted all the remnants of black rule in europe into white. the black madonna got replaced by the image of cesare borgia, the son of pope alexander the 6th. the image was painted by leonardo da vinci. the image you see in all african homes ? the blue eyed blonde hair jesus ? yeah thats the image of an incest commiting murderer.
5, they needed a name for the messiah so they converted the name of the greek god zeus into jesus. the letter 'J' never existed when jesus was around.
etc etc etc. all am saying is the bible is by african folks but xtianity the religion is a hybrid of the hebrew bible and pagan tradition. religion, as a whole is a european thing.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Olaone1: 1:08am On Dec 23, 2011
Yahweh is watching. Hey, I say, you children of Israel. Yahwehhhhhhhh.
Book of Genesis.
And, alonzo alonzo.  Buzugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cheesy cheesy
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 1:13am On Dec 23, 2011
Ola one:

Yahweh is watching. Hey, I say, you children of Israel. Yahwehhhhhhhh.
Book of Genesis.
And, alonzo alonzo.  Buzugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee cheesy cheesy
hehe he sure is watching. Shalom my Nubian Brother. happy hannukah.  grin grin pass that sacramental wine  grin
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by texazzpete(m): 1:15am On Dec 23, 2011
This just highlights the hypocrisy in many of my fellow Christians today.

You shout out on the rooftops that 'SALVATION IS PERSONAL!!!' yet you want to jail another man who does nothing that can actually hurt you, just because he does not share your religious convictions?!

PS: For all those monkeys with short memories who usually deride opponents of the bill as 'gays' and 'gay lovers', remember when people were being called 'nigger-lover' in America when they fought to abolish slavery?
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by texazzpete(m): 1:18am On Dec 23, 2011
strangest:

I will support ga.y the day I will see a rooster hump another rooster or if my BIBLE is not against it. Right now, to me ga.y  SHOULD NOT even been allowed to start in a private room because even fire starts in a private room before bringing down the whole house.

This is why ignorance kills people.

Homosexuality has been observed in almost 1500 animal species in the wild.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual_behavior_in_animals

The article goes on to say this

"About 10% of rams (males) refuse to mate with ewes (females) but do readily mate with other rams."
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Olaone1: 1:18am On Dec 23, 2011
buzugee:

hehe he sure is watching. Shalom my Nubian brother. happy hannukah.  grin grin pass that sacramental wine  grin
grin grin grin
Okay.

You are God-ordained, moi bruva.
Your church will be bigger than Oyakhilome's. And, Oyedepo's. You gotta more knowledge. And, much better use of English.

Go for it NAWWWWWWWWW. Babes will flock in. The sheep must be led, innit? grin grin
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 1:25am On Dec 23, 2011
Ola one:

grin grin grin
Okay.

You are God-ordained, moi bruva.
Your church will be bigger than Oyakhilome's. And, Oyedepo's. You gotta more knowledge. And, much better use of English.

Go for it NAWWWWWWWWW. Babes will flock in. The sheep must be led, innit? grin grin
by starting a church i will be defeating the purpose of trying to be amongst the chosen. acts 17 vs 24 tells you that the lord is not found in any structures made by man. the bible is a lifestyle not an institution. it is the instruction manual for humans just like you have instruction manuals when you buy appliances. those who try to make an institution out of it are false prophets. it does saY in the bible that there will be many false prophets. based on all dat Bros me ? i shall decline on trying to box with Yahawah because my arms are too short  cheesy cheesy make lightening no go strike me
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Kilode1: 1:28am On Dec 23, 2011
Wole Soyinka has probably ran through more panties than all of the young'uns calling him g/a/y will ever see in their lifetimes combined. grin
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Olaone1: 1:30am On Dec 23, 2011
But, come oooo, Buzugee, how do you generate all these Bible quotes?

Please, tell me. A software you installed? cheesy grin
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 1:31am On Dec 23, 2011
Kilode?!:

Wole Soyinka has probably ran through more panties than all of the young'uns calling him g/a/y will ever see in their lifetimes combined.  grin
cant quite see that. he looks too prim, proper and dignified to be, ermmmm, running through drawers  grin one thing i know he ran through though is palmwine  grin
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Olaone1: 1:31am On Dec 23, 2011
Kilode?!:

Wole Soyinka has probably ran through more panties than all of the young'uns calling him g/a/y will ever see in their lifetimes combined.  grin

Don't mind them jare. Hypocrites they are!
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 1:37am On Dec 23, 2011
Ola one:

But, come oooo, Buzugee, how do you generate all these Bible quotes?

Please, tell me. A software you installed? cheesy grin
No Sir, this comes from actually reading the bible cover to cover. 'am putting in work', as the gangbangers say  grin i study the bible a lot. the more i study, i see life for what it really is. the more i study it, the more i decipher exactly why the world is the way it is, why certain people are going through what they are going through, why the world is handed over to the wicked, etc etc. Bros me, it opens up your third eye. its a wonderful thing to be able to have an answer and an explanation for what is going on in the world today, biblically. everything about the future and the past is in that book. its a great tool
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Olaone1: 1:44am On Dec 23, 2011
^^More Yahweh to your elbow, man. wink
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by buzugee(m): 1:46am On Dec 23, 2011
like the great Ben Ammi said, you must be out of your mind if you think the lord made humans and did not give them an instruction manual in how to live. Tv, fridges, cookers, everything you buy comes with an instruction manual so why would we think the lord will throw us out their without an instruction manual ? see thats why he inspired men (took over their minds) Zechariah 7 vs 12, and used them to write the instruction manual for humans. its a lifestyle not an institution. any man making an institution out of it ? well he is a false prophet, as mentioned earlier.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Kilode1: 2:30am On Dec 23, 2011
buzugee:

cant quite see that. he looks too prim, proper and dignified to be, ermmmm, running through drawers  grin one thing i know he ran through though is palmwine  grin

W'sup The high priest of the H-interwebs. My very kemetic brotha!

As per Kongi's escapades, it's well documented in his autobios, from palmwine server girl to fish Resturant waitress, Kongi don sample plenty Kongos. grin embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

GEJ Sets Up Committee To Verify 2011 Subsidy Claims / ''MERE COMMISSIONER'': NEW APPELATION FOR VP OSINBAJO with photo evidence / UN Reject Catalonia Call For Independence From Spain. UN Says It's Illegitimate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.