Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,482 members, 7,819,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage (8757 Views)

US: We’ll Compel Nigeria To Accept Same-sex Marriage / Thecable Apologises To Soyinka Over ‘Igbo’ Story / Thecable Apologises To Soyinka Over ‘igbo’ Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by JimmyBoy1: 3:49pm On Dec 24, 2011
@paragonpro No sir , this law will not go the way of the Bigamy law bacause the law was not in consonance with our culture and tradition. But the reverse is the case with this anti-gay bill, they use to lynch boys that was suspected of being gay when I was in secondary school and I am sure that was and still a reflection of the societal perception of the issue.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by paragonpro: 4:09pm On Dec 24, 2011
Jimmy boy, forget the "it is not in our culture" argument, homosexualism or lesbianism is not in any culture as far I I know, there was worse persecution in Europe during the middle ages when religion held sway in the life of the people. I am sure you would not live to brag about it if you publicly announced that you are gay during Gallileo's time. The west are tolerating it because of new democratic values and because it is a waste of energy fighting it. It is still not a culture of the west because the number of people who openly process that they are gay is infinitesimally small compared with the population.

You might be surprised that we have more gays in Nigeria, we don't know because we are very secretive about it. I know we have lots of gays in the north, but there are strong denials.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by janvier27(m): 4:36pm On Dec 24, 2011
As much as i find the practice strange, Prof is perfectly entitled to his opinion. And no one has monopoly of wisdom.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by paragonpro: 4:43pm On Dec 24, 2011
Please can someone explain how you would go about finding, investigating and prosecuting gays, what evidence would the police produce? Who would be the complainant?
Would the mare fact that two guys or babes share the same bed make them liable for investigation? Or would it be based on suspicion from neighbours?
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Afam4eva(m): 5:43pm On Dec 24, 2011
paragonpro:

Please can someone explain how you would go about finding, investigating and prosecuting gays, what evidence would the police produce? Who would be the complainant?
Would the mare fact that two guys or babes share the same bed make them liable for investigation? Or would it be based on suspicion from neighbours?

Nobody is investigating anything because according to law, it's not wrong to be a homosexual. That's where many people have gotten it wrong. It's a crime when you decide to marry the person the conventional way.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by OlaPhils(m): 7:53pm On Dec 24, 2011
who is soyinka? does he knows pass God? i think little he thinks he knew is affecting his skull.
thank God for pple like Primate Olamakinde, whom will always say it out.
maybe he is a g@y too or the product of homo, or product from lesbo
asswhole
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by OlaPhils(m): 8:00pm On Dec 24, 2011
i wonder how they feel when they are munchin there fellow men ,what there reaction will look like when inserting rod into their asses. G@y no go die better.
fuckn disgurstn
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by aribisala0(m): 3:30am On Dec 25, 2011
I do not think the prof is in support of homosexuality. He did not ,on this occasion express a view on the practice.I believe he expressed a view in one of his books  (i forget the name) expressing revulsion. What the Prof has done is to compartmentalize his beliefs/prejudices regarding the practice on the one hand and the "rights" of gay people to express their sexuality. This is a particular brand of ethics which a true thinker should comprehend whether they agree with it or not.

He questioned whether government should legislate on it if it happens in private. As such he was NOT talking about GAY marriage since that does not happen in private.
a simple analogy,One may not support the practice of MouthAction or other fetishistic intimate behaviour while still holding the view that goverment should not legislate on it.
I point this out for factual accuracy although I do not agree with the principle that government should not legislate on intimate activities because they occur in private between those  legally able to consent.
It is for this reason that that i support the prohibition of  Inbreeding and  even sex with animals(not saying the animals consent). I am indeed humbled to say that I can find no convincing rationalization for this quirk and admit my prejudice/conditioning.

Let us remember that the Senate bill has Not come into force/effect.
marriage is a ceremony that requires validation by law i.e you must acquire a licence.
as the law is today gays cannot marry in Nigeria since licences specify male/husband and female/wife.

It is right that one must be dispassionate in order to think clearly. In other words if we[b] establish as a principle [/b]in our law that we may outlaw a practice on the basis that the majority find it disgusting we would establish a very dangerous practice. Personally I do not like to see grown men bend down to urinate and then produce that horrid blue kettle immediately afterwards but hey live(standing) and let live(bending).
So I believe government may legislate on affairs of the bedroom even in private e.g. Inbreeding though I confess that it is difficult to establish a rational coherent argument why, since I do not believe in morality that derives from phantom Gods and there is this same weakness in finding an argument for prohibiting and then punishing homosexuality over and beyond popular abhorrence or scriptural enjoinment. As it is there is already a 14 year sentence on our statute books for gay sex but there seems to be little appetite for enforcing it.
I think there are many taboos in society that are or have been useful but punishing them all with harsh jail terms might not achieve much

Recently in France they banned women from wearing face veils an action which to me appears to stem from popular repugnance rather than any principle. It is right that laws should be base on princple rather than arbitrary  caprice
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Samsamy: 1:46am On Dec 26, 2011
well, we all live for one another, and for the common good. therefore, anything trend or action, or lifestyle or practice, that is abhorring to the common good should be relegated.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Nobody: 10:28am On Dec 26, 2011
maybe he wants another award from the west and he thinks the only way he can get it is to support western inspired gay rights.what happened to the african traditional values with which he was brought up?the man is a sell out.
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by solasola(m): 11:13am On Jan 06, 2012
[size=8pt][size=8pt]b[/size][/size]
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by darnley16(m): 7:20am On Oct 30, 2013
babsjnr: Abeg free gay people dey be human like us.
and I'm sure if una check well the pastor sef na gay, or hin pikin dem, na them way dey shout 'kill gays' kill gays' pass
Re: Cleric Faults Soyinka Over Same-sex Marriage by Livinusc(m): 7:29am On Oct 30, 2013
So Soyinka is gay,wel i trust our Senate nah they will not make such silly mistake by d grace of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

''MERE COMMISSIONER'': NEW APPELATION FOR VP OSINBAJO with photo evidence / Buhari Tells New Envoys To Treat Nigerians Abroad With Dignity / 2019: Sowore Gets Support From Home Front

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.