Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,136 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities (24980 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1 / JAMB Blacklists 3 CBT Centres / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by MrGlobe(m): 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2011
Medical graduates from nine universities in Nigeria will no longer be able to obtain licenses to practice in the United Kingdom, following a decision by the UK's General Medical Council (GMC) to ban the higher institutions.

The GMC, a body of independent regulators which registers medical doctors to practise in the UK, took the decision to bar graduates from the nine universities from writing PLAB.

PLAB is the UK exam that enables non-UK Medical graduates to undertake post-graduate medical training in the country.

The affected graduates are those who graduated after December 10, 2010 from Ambrose Ali University, Ebonyi State University, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Nnamdi Azikiwe University, University of Jos, University of Nigeria and the University of Port Harcourt.

It also applies to those who graduated on or after April 1, 2010 from Igbinedion University College of Health Sciences and the University of Benin.
http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/uk-blacklists-medical-graduates-9-nigerian-universities

Methinks that if the reason is legit then they should be blacklisted in nigeria too or else there will be disaster waiting to happen
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Dec 21, 2011
I'm surprised that UNN, NAU and Uniport are on the list. What criteria did they use to blacklist these schools?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by ndukwejoe(m): 4:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
is someone surprised ? Which criteria you need . You don't know they sort in almost all the schools.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Afam4eva(m): 4:29pm On Dec 21, 2011
ndukwejoe:

is someone surprised ? Which criteria you need . You don't know they sort in almost all the schools.

I know they do. But why did they select those specific schools. Why not just blacklist the Nigerian educational system that has rot to it's foundation.

1 Like

Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by kelz88(f): 4:33pm On Dec 21, 2011
According to Jason Day of the GMC's press office, the schools were axed because they no longer meet the required standards for practise in the UK.

Hope the schools realise this and step up!

Even Igbinedion. Wow!
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by MrGlobe(m): 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2011
I think since the so called 'topest' nigerian universities are all on the list, they should just go ahead and blacklist nigerian education. where is imsu and all the secondary schools called universities and the new universities they are planning to build. This Nigeria nawa.
Anyway I was never surprised. Sorting is university degree these days

1 Like

Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
Mr. Globe:

I think since the so called 'topest' nigerian universities are all on the list, they should just go ahead and blacklist nigerian education. where is imsu and all the secondary schools called universities and the new universities they are planning to build. This Nigeria nawa.
Anyway I was never surprised. Sorting is university degree these days
who told u that those schools blacklisted are amongst the ''topest'' schools in Nigeria? I did not see UNILAG or UI on that list. At least i can vouch for UNILAG and UI.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by MrGlobe(m): 5:14pm On Dec 21, 2011
Oh, am referring to uniport. I know UI is trying. Atleast thats all I can say
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Dec 21, 2011
UNN and UNIPORT?

Hmmmm
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by queensmith: 6:05pm On Dec 21, 2011
fishy
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 6:15pm On Dec 21, 2011
dayokanu:

UNN and UNIPORT?

Hmmmm
even, UNIBEN and UNIJOS, hmmn,
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by sartorius(m): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2011
I am suprised to see UNN, UNIBEN simply because they are first generation universities. Lautech is understandable
they had crisis between the oyo and osun state that jointly sponsor the university.Igbinedion university is a fraud especially their medical school, most of their consultants are visiting consultants, they even have accreditation issues with MDCAN. UNIBEN wow even with the succesful stem cell transplantation, its a wakeup call even to others, am certain they would bounce back, it shows the rot in the education system. Glad that oba awon unifasity Oau aint there
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Olalekan0(m): 6:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
These are unis whose governing council receives collosal amounts of monies as grants from the Feds. What else do they need? They divert these funds and then turn around to accuse the govt of neglect.

The failure of nigerian grads are not limited to the medical fields alone,there are thousands of them in every discipline who have resorted to blue collar jobs abroad as a result of their inability to pass interviews at graduate level jobs.

Aside UI,Unilag and OAU,all Nigerian public unis are done and are only clinging on to their history(past glory).

Looking back,I'm grateful to God for giving me the courage to ignore these federal schools when i was doing my undergrad in Nigeria,I thank God i went to a private uni at a time people tagged them glorified sec.schools.  It turned out a wise decision!
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by MarcAnthon(m): 6:21pm On Dec 21, 2011
It's a call for NUC to sit up to its responsibilities. If the program in these schools are below par, they should be proscribed forthwith. The medical profession should call for one of the highest standards, as should engineering, because these involve human lives.
Btw, why are 7 of the 9 schools from the SS  and SE?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by browneyes7(f): 6:22pm On Dec 21, 2011
Am glad dat unilag aint der smiley
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Maximip(m): 6:31pm On Dec 21, 2011
angry University of Port Harcourt where doctors pay to pass. It's surprising the FG has not banned
them in the country.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 6:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
Thank God the prestigious University of First Choice and the Nations' pride, University of Lagos is not on that fatal list.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by onyengbu: 6:34pm On Dec 21, 2011
What exactly did they say these unis did or did not do? why isnt anyone asking these questions

1 Like

Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 6:35pm On Dec 21, 2011
Maximip:

angry University of Port Harcourt where doctors pay to pass. It's surprising the FG has not banned
them in the country.
how will FG ban them? Have u forgotten that the school is goodlucks' alma-mata??
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by ArQueBusieR(m): 6:37pm On Dec 21, 2011
kelz88:

Even Igbinedion. Wow!
Igbinedion's one the worst universities in Nigeria.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by kelz88(f): 6:38pm On Dec 21, 2011
Wow!

So much for all the money and Igbi status.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Demdem(m): 6:41pm On Dec 21, 2011
Uniport is a useless school. The only language they understand there is money.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by chelseabmw(m): 6:49pm On Dec 21, 2011
Bad belle and Jealousy angry
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by olawalebabs(m): 6:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
We all leave the disease and keep treating the sympton. No body has ask for the reason for that decision, i think we deserve to know the reasons in order to guide against that in our system
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by stunna2(m): 6:53pm On Dec 21, 2011
, hmmm, well, im actually more surprised that they used to allow anyone with a medical degree from said universities to ever write the exams before now! come and try that here in my country and see how fast you will be rejected!!

then again, maybe they can start sorting the examiners in the UK any ideas?? smh
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by luvola(m): 6:53pm On Dec 21, 2011
thank god lasu col of medicine isnt their. after some folks will say it a glorified sec.sc when its medical sch is among top 10 in the country.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by olawalebabs(m): 6:54pm On Dec 21, 2011
We all leave the disease and keep treating the sympton. No body has ask for the reason for that decision, i think we deserve to know the reasons in order to guide against that in our system
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 21, 2011
If Uniben can be among, it then means all university in Nigeria is dead. Asap.
A whole Uniben?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by aletheia(m): 6:59pm On Dec 21, 2011
Not surprised University of Jos is on the list. They lost their accreditation earlier in the year. Reason? Admitting 600+ students for Medicine in 100 level whereas they are accredited to train only 100 doctors each year courtesy of an admissions racket where people pay for admission into Medical school.
These things happen and we think it wont come back and bite us.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 21, 2011
who is suprised about uniport - can't you see the idiots being paraded as the schools most illustrious alumnus - goodunce johnathan?

there was a uniport corper in my office - dumb as a sack of bricks - the only thing she sabi is following big brother .
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 7:03pm On Dec 21, 2011
fados4sure:

If Uniben can be among, it then means all university in Nigeria is dead. Asap.
A whole Uniben?
u are not serious, when did uniben is Become the criterium for measuring the quality of other universities??
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 7:06pm On Dec 21, 2011
oyb:

who is suprised about uniport - can't you see the idiots being paraded as the schools most illustrious alumnus - goodunce johnathan?

there was a uniport corper in my office - dumb as a sack of bricks - the only thing she sabi is following big brother .
LOOOOL. Take it easy o. Joorrrrr o.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ali Bukar Maina Developed An Algorithm For Finding Missing People / University Of Uyo Cult Clash: One Killed; Students Ordered To Vacate Hostels / What's The Difference Between A Smart Student And A Brilliant Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.