Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,033 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities (24978 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls See Which Is Numba-1 / JAMB Blacklists 3 CBT Centres / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Maximip(m): 7:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
onye_ngbu*:

What exactly did they say these unis did or did not do? why isnt anyone asking these questions

Don't we know it already that our schools produce incompetent graduated and medicine is a field where incompetency
can not be tolerated.

gokuu:

how will FG ban them? Have u forgotten that the school is goodlucks' alma-mata??

hehe,I'd even forgotten. it's not so surprising now why he's kinda incompetent
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by aletheia(m): 7:12pm On Dec 21, 2011
. . .reading the article. It appears the listed schools have all lost their accreditation to train doctors.
He added that the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) had also advised that they suspend accreditation of some medical schools in the country.

“The decision only applies to students who graduated from those medical schools after the MDCN suspended their accreditation,” Day said
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by humblebee: 7:13pm On Dec 21, 2011
fados4sure:

If Uniben can be among, it then means all university in Nigeria is dead. Asap.
A whole Uniben?

na uniben u dey hype like dis? when did u travel out of d country?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by sartorius(m): 7:15pm On Dec 21, 2011
The medical and dental council of nigeria have issues with them in terms of accreditation and meeting up to the basic requirement, i am certain GMC would have sort for a review with mdcn
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Ikechukwu09(m): 7:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
well from all indications the closest explanation to this is the tussle between these schools and the medical council of nigeria particularly as regards to accreditation. if not for all, at least for the university of benin
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by DrKnow1(m): 7:24pm On Dec 21, 2011
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 21, 2011
@Humblebee am in uni of Surrey, chemical engineering. The same people rated uniben as number one thats why i said so.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by dayokanu(m): 7:25pm On Dec 21, 2011
oyb:

who is suprised about uniport - can't you see the idiots being paraded as the schools most illustrious alumnus - goodunce johnathan?

there was a uniport corper in my office - dumb as a sack of bricks - the only thing she sabi is following big brother .

I used to think UNIPORT was good until I met one of their grads during NYSC. he didnt have his WAEC and was writing with the students we were teaching

Imagine How can you graduate without WAEC
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by dayokanu(m): 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2011
Olalekan 0:

These are unis whose governing council receives collosal amounts of monies as grants from the Feds. What else do they need? They divert these funds and then turn around to accuse the govt of neglect.

The failure of nigerian grads are not limited to the medical fields alone,there are thousands of them in every discipline who have resorted to blue collar jobs abroad as a result of their inability to pass interviews at graduate level jobs.

Aside UI,Unilag and OAU,all Nigerian public unis are done and are only clinging on to their history(past glory).

Looking back,I'm grateful to God for giving me the courage to ignore these federal schools when i was doing my undergrad in Nigeria,I thank God i went to a private uni at a time people tagged them glorified sec.schools. It turned out a wise decision!

Is Igbinedion not a Private Uni?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 7:28pm On Dec 21, 2011
fados4sure:

@Humblebee am in uni of Surrey, chemical engineering. The same people rated uniben as number one thats why i said so.
LOL, uniben my ass!
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by maclatunji: 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
They have banned the University's Medicine graduates because they think they are not good enough based on set standards. It is either you are good enough or not. Let us stop whinin and deal with the issues.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 7:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
dayokanu:

Is Igbinedion not a Private Uni?

don't mind his Intellectual laziness, afterall we should not expect much from a private uni. grad!
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by luvola(m): 7:35pm On Dec 21, 2011
anybody that says lasu isn't a good sch must have smoke weed because i cant see the sch medical college on that list
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2011
AAU why?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Zuha(f): 7:38pm On Dec 21, 2011
Some of the comments on this thread are either sentimental or at best, ignorant. The schools had a problem with accreditation from the medical and dental council of Nigeria because of the population of the students vs lecturer ratio. This happened late last year. As an obligation, the MDCN informed the WHO who de-listed the affected schools.

This problem has been solved and the MDCN website has now been updated. See the MDCN website: http://www.mdcnigeria.org/

The following is a list of currently updated accredited medical schools as obtained from the MDCN website:
   FULLY ACCREDITED MEDICAL SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA

College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Abia State University, Uturu, Abia State
College of Health Sciences,Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki.
College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Idi Araba, Lagos.
College of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Osun State.
College of Health Sciences, University of Port-Harcourt.
College of Health Sciences, Usman Dan Fodiyo University, Sokoto, Sokoto State.
College of Health Sciences, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomosho.
College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Oyo State.
College of Medicine, University of Ilorin, Kwara State.
College of Medical Sciences, University of Calabar, Cross River State.
College of Medicine,  Lagos State University, Ikeja, Lagos State.
College of Medicine, Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma.
Faculty of Medical Sciences, University of  Jos.
Faculty of Medicine, Bayero University, Kano State.
Obafemi Awolowo College of Health Sciences, Sagamu, Olabisi Onabanjo (formerly Ogun State) University, Ago Iwoye, Ogun State.
College of Medicine, Imo State University, Owerri
College of Health Science, Madonna University Okija
College of Medical Sciences, University of Benin, Benin City , Edo State.
 Oba Okunade College of Health Sciences Igbinedion University Okada, Benin -City, Edo State.
College of Medicine, University of Nigeria  Enugu Campus. Enugu.
College of Health Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi.
Faculty of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.
College of Medical Sciences, University of Maiduguri.
College of Health Sciences, Delta State University, Abraka
College of Medicine, Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu
College Of Health Sciences, University of Uyo, Uyo

PARTIALLY ACCREDITED MEDICAL SCHOOLS FOR MEDICAL ONLY

College of Health Sciences, Bigham University Karu, Nasarawa.
College of Health Sciences, Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island
College of Health Sciences, Benue State University, Makurdi

The WHO website though (http://avicenna.ku.dk/database/medicine/) has not been updated as bad news often makes the headlines quickly but they are very difficult to retract.

A final note. It beats me why and how we are able to introduce tribal hatred into any thread no matter how serious the thread is. If we understand how unpopular Nigeria is outside the borders of Nigeria, we will strive to lift each other whenever any part of us is lacking or found wanting. Nigeria has a very bad image already and it is everyone's fault. Lets work together to dig ourselves out of the shameful hole we've found ourselves in.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by gokuu(m): 7:49pm On Dec 21, 2011
luvola:

anybody that says lasu isn't a good sch must have smoke weed because i cant see the sch medical college on that list
madam, u don come again! How far? How are we celebrating the graduation??
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by OWOLAYEMO: 7:55pm On Dec 21, 2011
This is an indictment too many for the Nigerian Educational System. It is a smack on our collective face(s). It is an endorsement of the negative tradgetory of the Nigerian education system. Unfortuantely, blacklisting of this nature often attracts similar undeserved blacklisting. You can be on the look out for other similar pejorative clamp-down.

This is a very  disturbing  development that  a sane goverment would have constitute a committee to critically considered. While we continued to deceived ourselves that everything is OK, the outside world has dimensioned us and find us wanted and deficient.

Unequivocably, this singular act is enough for a government to be declare failed. Failed in meeting the aspiration of her citizens and failure to meet the expectation of its contemporary.When the education of a state began to failed, other variables catalystimically would tumbled.

Gone are the days, when Nigerian graduates are global preferences, today, the reverse is the case. Nor only are we 2nd rated by way of training, the system has worsened the situation.

This anomaly was ochestrated by our porous admission system (available for highest bidders), high student to lecturer ratio, in between are pockets of needless strike resulting in unpredictable academic time-table and decayed infrastructures. Thesame syllabi my great grand father used in 1960s are still been recycled today in our universities. One wonders what knowledge that could impact to anybody. It is now fashionable to buy rather than earn grades in our university. Study hard is only meant for the 'fools'.

Its unbelievable,how as a country, with short sightedness have collectively mortgaged our future ALL for nothing. What in hloy heaven  brought us to this shameful position?

I sometimes wondered what future we are bequeating to our children with all this unfortunate but avoidable collective and national embarrassment?

I hope the Federal Government, for once, would wake up and remedy this situation.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 7:56pm On Dec 21, 2011
Boyloaf:

AAU why?

what is AAU good for outside of producing cultists and olodo thugs?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-485576.0.html

that is supposed to be a 400level engineering grad

i remember my nysc - a large number of AAU students had big time issues with their call up letters - and they had to go back to school to sort it out
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Princek12(m): 8:26pm On Dec 21, 2011
I know a dude who graduated from UniBen with a degree in architecture. He cannot draw a straight line to connect two dots.

I know another dude who graduated from UniJos with a degree in medicine. He admitted to me that during school he paid someone to write his exams for him.

Am I surprised? No.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Olalekan0(m): 8:32pm On Dec 21, 2011
@dayokanu,It is no longer news to the discerning that the Oba Okunade college of medicine,Igbinedion university is not accredited by the NUC and the school was the only private uni mentioned on that list.
Besides i didn't attend Igbins.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by sheyguy: 8:39pm On Dec 21, 2011
Serve them right, thats what u get when u pay peanuts 4 educatn. NUC shld quickly go 4 re-evaluation of dept. In their respective schs.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by xezoid(m): 8:45pm On Dec 21, 2011
plz,i'm a graduate of nnamdi azikiwe university,college of health sciences,medical school,plz we jut acquired our own vamed equipments 4 the teaching hospital,though we may b backwards in infrastructure,our medical academics is top-notch,any one saying we 'sort' in our medical schl obvious hasnt been there in recent times,as for the blacklisting of my schl,what are the reasons?
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by 13volts(m): 8:52pm On Dec 21, 2011
I have always maintained that 80% of graduates from the south are wacks. From the blacklisted list of universities not a single one is from the north. we may not be mass producing wacky graduates, but our graduates are genuine.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by tpia5: 9:00pm On Dec 21, 2011
this is going to increase the pressure on the remaining medical schools because prospective students will head for those places now.

OAU is already one of the toughest med schools in the country.

[Unijos] lost their accreditation earlier in the year. Reason? Admitting 600+ students for Medicine in 100 level whereas they are accredited to train only 100 doctors each year courtesy of an admissions racket where people pay for admission into Medical school.
These things happen and we think it wont come back and bite us.

however @ topic, graduates of the affected schools can still practice medicine elsewhere besides the UK, right. And they're not barred from practicing within nigeria itself i suppose.

the universities in question need to work on getting their accreditation back at least in nigeria. Dont know about the private schools, but its imperative for the public ones, imo.

The UK is trying to reduce the number of foreign trained health professionals working in the country, or looking for jobs in the country, so i cant say i'm surprised.

and neither is it anything to panic over, imo.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by muyoto: 9:04pm On Dec 21, 2011
I must confess I'm very surprised to see Uniben on the list. sad
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by tpia5: 9:05pm On Dec 21, 2011
“The decision only applies to students who graduated from those medical schools after the MDCN suspended their accreditation,” Day said

the dates in question are dec 10, 2010 for some of the universities, and april 1 2010 for others.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by tpia5: 9:07pm On Dec 21, 2011
and i wish many of these nigerian students would stop typing in shorthand and upgrade their english skills before more universities and other disciplines get suspended.

our fathers and grandfathers didnt have all these amenities [books, media etc] we have now, yet they still wrote passable english.
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by sartorius(m): 9:09pm On Dec 21, 2011
@ tpia are u an ifumsite
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by ceejayluv(m): 9:15pm On Dec 21, 2011
Calm down, peeps.! The Nigerian UNI System is F-U*C:K*E*D!!, no doubt about that. The Brits are even pitying us by allowing any nigerian medical graduate at all, They just select d smartest of them (smartness is not acquired in the uni) Its all part of the brain drain.
If it weren't for government policies, IOC's in Nigeria would never hire any naija Engineering graduate, !! Its the Reality. Uni Education is not by theory alone. There are cases of Youth Corpers that cannot fill forms, thats a collective shame! None of our unis is even among the top 1000 on the globe! UNILAG is but a local Champion, Imo
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by GboyegaD(m): 9:18pm On Dec 21, 2011
This isn't the time to exonorate a particular school or looking for which school is better. It is time for our government tp wake up to their responsibilities and ensure that our schools improve in terms of all disciplines. It is more than shameful that a school in Nigeria is blacklisted abroad for a particular course and whether we like it or not, it indirectly affects all schools and programs as some schools may use it as a yardstick particularly, if our medicine which is suppose to be one of the best programs in universities because it deals with life is substandard then, what about other programs
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by member479760: 9:20pm On Dec 21, 2011
UNN? You can't blame them but our heroes whose effort is fetching us bad result now!
Re: United Kingdom Blacklists Nigerian Universities by Yeske2(m): 9:24pm On Dec 21, 2011
MB;BS Unilorin no dey carry last, so glad to parade that certificate around.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

University Of Ilorin 2016/2017 Admission List Is Out / Kano University Student Drowns While Swimming . - See Picture / Ali Bukar Maina Developed An Algorithm For Finding Missing People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.