Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,540 members, 7,865,244 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:30 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (123) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1663787 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (2260) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:37pm On May 31, 2015
Roland17:

Honestly no particular team comes to mind in the East...but if he were to stay in the western conference, the best team would definitely be the Rockets, ooo man, the Rockets can make do with a very dominant PG but we all know cap space and salaries would make that virtually impossible but if I was to suggest a team in the west it would be the Rockets.

but wait...how about the Pacers? they desperately need an experienced and dominant point guard..Paul George stays healthy, they keep Hibbert and West..then strengthen the bench with some sharp shooters..u can never tell.
Very interesting suggestion. They are just like the Bulls theiir anemic offense would never let them get to the promise land. I don't know if he would be willing to leave the bright lights of LA for a relatively smaller market town like Naptown.

I don't know if Harden and Paul can co-exist
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 1:26pm On Jun 01, 2015
Roland17:

Honestly no particular team comes to mind in the East...but if he were to stay in the western conference, the best team would definitely be the Rockets, ooo man, the Rockets can make do with a very dominant PG but we all know cap space and salaries would make that virtually impossible but if I was to suggest a team in the west it would be the Rockets.

but wait...how about the Pacers? they desperately need an experienced and dominant point guard..Paul George stays healthy, they keep Hibbert and West..then strengthen the bench with some sharp shooters..u can never tell.
I think his all right where he is
the clippers starters are up there with the very best in the league.
Once they can figure out that bench things would get better
Harden is alright off the ball but I doubt he defer to paul.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 01, 2015
SIRcumalot:

I think his all right where he is
the clippers starters are up there with the very best in the league.
Once they can figure out that bench things would get better
Harden is alright off the ball but I doubt he defer to paul.
do you pay deandre jordon almost max contract or you use thst money to get a better bench? i think thats the question
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 4:46pm On Jun 01, 2015
Donlittle:
do you pay deandre jordon almost max contract or you use thst money to get a better bench? i think thats the question
Pay deandre
And get pierce to anchor the bench with jamal crawford
Am sure Doc rivers can make this work somehow.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 6:30pm On Jun 01, 2015
Donlittle:
I don't think DeAndre deserves a max contract. He relies a lot on his athleticism and the brilliance of Chris Paul. He has no post moves and is a well-known liability on the line. They badly need to upgrade their bench as they can't keep relying on Jamal who is already way past 30

He deserves a raise but if they want to compete in the West handing DeAndre max money without upgrading their bench will be fatal
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 10:26pm On Jun 01, 2015
Protecting the rim and defensively D.Jordan made strides this post season and became the main stay of the clippers defensively but he is not reliable in other aspects of the game, especially if you consider the aspirations of the team, in fact his offense is very predictable and his inability to play coordinated basketball when CP3 was not handling the ball was exposed.

In today's NBA success is no longer predicated by the front court, DJ is not an integral part of the Clippers offense, I mentioned this fact earlier in my game preview when they played the Rockets and this fact is one reason Dwight was able to resurrect the Rockets alongside Harden.

The Clippers as a team need to change philosophy and ideology, they are a very indisciplined bunch who walk around with a chip on their shoulders and a ridiculous sense of entitlement, it becomes very easy for officials to get irritated overtime by their attitude on the court and I can give numerous instances during this past playoffs also when the game slowed down they struggled, they thrive on momentum and transition basketball and when that is absent it becomes tough for Blake and DJ.

Does DJ deserve the Max? No..not to me..ask yourself, would another team offer him the max? Would he play better without CP3 or he would get worse with another team and point guard, I think he should be considerate with his demands so he does not disappear like a certain Lance Stephenson who hyped himself to believe he deserved the Max but we all know the rest and how he is fairing with the Charlotte Hornets.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:07am On Jun 02, 2015
Roland17:
Protecting the rim and defensively D.Jordan made strides this post season and became the main stay of the clippers defensively but he is not reliable in other aspects of the game, especially if you consider the aspirations of the team, in fact his offense is very predictable and his inability to play coordinated basketball when CP3 was not handling the ball was exposed.

In today's NBA success is no longer predicated by the front court, DJ is not an integral part of the Clippers offense, I mentioned this fact earlier in my game preview when they played the Rockets and this fact is one reason Dwight was able to resurrect the Rockets alongside Harden.

The Clippers as a team need to change philosophy and ideology, they are a very indisciplined bunch who walk around with a chip on their shoulders and a ridiculous sense of entitlement, it becomes very easy for officials to get irritated overtime by their attitude on the court and I can give numerous instances during this past playoffs also when the game slowed down they struggled, they thrive on momentum and transition basketball and when that is absent it becomes tough for Blake and DJ.

Does DJ deserve the Max? No..not to me..ask yourself, would another team offer him the max? Would he play better without CP3 or he would get worse with another team and point guard, I think he should be considerate with his demands so he does not disappear like a certain Lance Stephenson who hyped himself to believe he deserved the Max but we all know the rest and how he is fairing with the Charlotte Hornets.
Excellent post.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 3:21am On Jun 02, 2015
Many teams would pay Deandre the max if Clipper doesn't In fact Dallas would rather pay Deandre than Tyson chandler who is older than deandre and they both play a similar game.
The Clippers just knocked of the spurs if it wasn't for Josh smith playing uncharacteristically well they should have won that game 6
DJ doesn't deserve the max but he will get it.there aren't many better players in his position.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 12:13pm On Jun 02, 2015
SIRcumalot:
Many teams would pay Deandre the max if Clipper doesn't In fact Dallas would rather pay Deandre than Tyson chandler who is older than deandre and they both play a similar game.
The Clippers just knocked of the spurs if it wasn't for Josh smith playing uncharacteristically well they should have won that game 6
DJ doesn't deserve the max but he will get it.there aren't many better players in his position.
Dallas is not exactly known for its prudence. Just look at the bone-headed deal my Mavs gave Parsons. Any team paying max for DeAndre better find a way to bring CP3 with him. The Pacers are still looking for how to offload Roy Hibbert and that's somebody who is arguably as good a defender and probably better offensively
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jun 02, 2015
Hey A40, are you a dallas fan? from what i have seen here, seems to me, clippers might be letting deandre go, i just wish deandre would be more aggresive, you guys remember a game where he had the ball the last seconds and cp3 was yelling for him to dunk or just put the ball in the net? seems to me, his head isnt just there offensively, and i dont think it will ever happen anyways. Even Tyson chandler can knock down the free throws when it matters more, and we dont hear hack a chandler.

I want him to come to dallas, but then i just cant sit down and watch team send him to the free throw line every damn time, or carlise having to take him out of a game because of his ineffectiveness to be productive on the offensive end down the stretch. yes defense is good, but ask the bulls how well they are fairing with their bad ass defense and alright offense?.

I say the clippers improve their bench and i hope deandre figures out he isnt a max player, a 10 - 12 million dollar contract isnt that bad, then you can improve the bench tremendously.

Btw, what country is tiago splitter from? we should just go there and get a center like that lol.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 2:48pm On Jun 02, 2015
Donlittle:
Hey A40, are you a dallas fan? from what i have seen here, seems to me, clippers might be letting deandre go, i just wish deandre would be more aggresive, you guys remember a game where he had the ball the last seconds and cp3 was yelling for him to dunk or just put the ball in the net? seems to me, his head isnt just there offensively, and i dont think it will ever happen anyways. Even Tyson chandler can knock down the free throws when it matters more, and we dont hear hack a chandler.

I want him to come to dallas, but then i just cant sit down and watch team send him to the free throw line every damn time, or carlise having to take him out of a game because of his ineffectiveness to be productive on the offensive end down the stretch. yes defense is good, but ask the bulls how well they are fairing with their bad ass defense and alright offense?.

I say the clippers improve their bench and i hope deandre figures out he isnt a max player, a 10 - 12 million dollar contract isnt that bad, then you can improve the bench tremendously.

Btw, what country is tiago splitter from? we should just go there and get a center like that lol.
Yeah largely because of Dirk Nowitzki. DeAndre is an excellent rebounder of the ball he also alters shots in the paint but teams with quality shooters can easily negate that. He also has no offensive game relying mostly on dunks and putbacks, this is simply not good enough for a player demanding a max deal.

Lots of moves to be made this summer. Felton and Barea don't do it at PG for me. There's also the Monta Ellis business I think they have to extend him. He has his flaws but unless a rising talent like maybe a Jimmy Butler is available then it makes no sense not to extend him. There is also a serious need for a perimeter stopper. The starting five of JJ/Ellis/Parsons/Dirk/Chandler cannot stop a nosebleed. Purge the bench too and offload old-timers like Jefferson and Amare.

Tiago is from Brazil
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 6:12pm On Jun 02, 2015
A40:

Dallas is not exactly known for its prudence. Just look at the bone-headed deal my Mavs gave Parsons. Any team paying max for DeAndre better find a way to bring CP3 with him. The Pacers are still looking for how to offload Roy Hibbert and that's somebody who is arguably as good a defender and probably better offensively
Deandre is a better offensive player than hibbert,defintely rebounds better than almost anybody
he is younger than tyson chandler and they both play in a similar manner also deandre is younger and more explosive
Chandler will also be a free agent this season and who would you rather pay ?
Deandre is one of the best centers in the league.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:43pm On Jun 02, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Deandre is a better offensive player than hibbert,defintely rebounds better than almost anybody
he is younger than tyson chandler and they both play in a similar manner also deandre is younger and more explosive

How can you claim D.Jordan is a better offensive player than Hibbert? In which league? In what year exactly? Do the Clippers run offensive plays for DJ? Even after a timeout have you ever seen doc rivers call plays for DJ except it's a transition basket, Is DJ a primary source of their offense? DJ is considered a Center, does he have any, I mean any post moves? I am not arguing which is a better player here but please desist from that argument of DJ being a better offensive player than Hibbert, even their career stats don't lie..
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 10:25pm On Jun 02, 2015
Donlittle:

I personally belong to the school of thought that believes the AAU (Athletic Amateur Union) has in some sorts led to the decline in the center position in the modern NBA, over emphasis on ball handling and jump shooting has made every prospect from high school to college hoops divert attention from understanding the basics of the game.

European/FIBA basketballers except for the PG position are better skilled and well rounded for the game, they are coached the fundamentals of the game, footwork, mental toughness and team play.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 10:33pm On Jun 02, 2015
A40:

Excellent post.

Thanks bro..
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 11:36pm On Jun 02, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Dude DeAndre doesn't have a post game. His offense relies massively on his athleticism and CP3's style of play. I'm dying to see how he gets his points playing in a predominantly halfcourt offense for a George Hill instead of CP3

I would not pay DeAndre max money. Not with all the other problems that need fixing. At best wait for the salary cap to increase which would happen in the 2016/2017 season

DeAndre probably is in the top 5 bracket I agree.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 2:21am On Jun 03, 2015
Roland17:

How can you claim D.Jordan is a better offensive player than Hibbert? In which league? In what year exactly? Do the Clippers run offensive plays for DJ? Even after a timeout have you ever seen doc rivers call plays for DJ except it's a transition basket, Is DJ a primary source of their offense? DJ is considered a Center, does he have any, I mean any post moves? I am not arguing which is a better player here but please desist from that argument of DJ being a better offensive player than Hibbert, even their career stats don't lie..
Most of this same question could be asked of Roy and he also doesn't have a very good post game either not many centers in todays league do.
You may argue that DJ only scores of lobs from blake and Cp3 but he does this extremely well.
DJ stats are better than roy's this year.it can only go up from there.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:46am On Jun 03, 2015
SIRcumalot:

Most of this same question could be asked of Roy and he also doesn't have a very good post game either not many centers in todays league do.
You may argue that DJ only scores of lobs from blake and Cp3 but he does this extremely well.
DJ stats are better than roy's this year.it can only go up from there.

I humbly beg to disagree with your write up, after Shaquille played his last game for the Celtics and retired he was asked who he was passing the torch to for the center position, he said Dwight Howard albeit he has to be more aggressive and dominant and stated clearly that a certain young Hibbert was right on dwights tails.

I have watched the Clippers and the Pacers over the past 2-3 seasons when these player are considered to be in their prime and I can tell you Hibbert has got better post moves than most young centers in the league, Hibbert is a center piece of that team maybe not for the most points but as an integral part of their offense.

Hibbert and a bulk of the Pacers were injured for more than half of this past season, he could not stay on the court, that affected team chemistry and of course the pacers as a whole that is why DJ can boast of better numbers, don't also forget DJ plays with a better PG than Hibbert does, the reason why I think the only pragmatic way CP3 plays a conference final for a shot at a ring is through the pacers..

Can I ask you what style of basketball the Pacers play? It's power game and defense predicated by pounding the glass until George recently transitioned from perimeter defending to a pure scorer the team primarily depended on their power game so that tells you Hibbert is inevitable to their offense but can same be said about DJ? I honestly don't want this argument construed, DJ is a very good player, he has improved but compared to Hibbert on offense and low post moves? lets be honest bro..

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:39am On Jun 04, 2015
In the coming days this thread would most possibly be hijacked by strange handles owing to the NBA finals but before the temporal surge in comments, I would love to duly appreciate everyone who has consistently through intelligent arguments, previews and overall discussion kept this thread active.

In no particular order

A40, Kliq, Donlittle, Sircumalot, BIRDMAN BIRDMAN, Joephemzyz, Decale, Justkay3, Ewuro4, Bobbieydey, r231, Oohmpa, Myndd44.

4 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:51am On Jun 04, 2015
hey man, this thread is the best on NLAND, i found it too late though. i love the analysis on here for real, and umm the only time i almost lost my cool was when BIRDMaN said lebron is the best to ever play the game(LOL).

Who here plays NBA2K? who should organise some tournament after the nba finals, Btw, who is ready for tomorrow? tbh, i think this is one of the wackest conference finals games i have watched in a long time. 4:0 on both sides, wait, i think rockets won a game? yeah.

but uh, the finals itself should be great, dont have my money on anyone and it will be stupid to count lebron out. dude is a stud.

I cant wait for PG to be back, hopefully pacers get a better PG really and they will be good to go. To think pacers traded george hill for kawhi leonard lol, might be TOP 20 worst trade off all time, anyways, who is down for some 2k tournament? yay or nay anybody?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 4:56am On Jun 04, 2015
Roland17:

I personally belong to the school of thought that believes the AAU (Athletic Amateur Union) has in some sorts led to the decline in the center position in the modern NBA, over emphasis on ball handling and jump shooting has made every prospect from high school to college hoops divert attention from understanding the basics of the game.

European/FIBA basketballers except for the PG position are better skilled and well rohttp://www..com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Bobo-_-.com_.mp3unded for the game, they are coached the fundamentals of the game, footwork, mental toughness and team play.
even kobe said the same thing, its all about the money really, and i blame college coaches and mostly these websites. they pay attention to too much dunks, dribbles and flashy stuff during tryouts, so players just learn how to do that. they never learn the tradition of the game. imagine deandre jordan unable to post up smaller players not to talk of players his size. this us why when he gets older, he will suck really bad and wont be valuable at 37. look at dirk, homie will still murder, i mean anyone any night in the post. been playing without athleticism all his life, and he doesnt need it. Duncan, and even kobe is adjusting to old age.
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 7:24am On Jun 04, 2015
Roland17:
In the coming days this thread would most possibly be hijacked by strange handles owing to the NBA finals but before the temporal surge in comments, I would love to duly appreciate everyone who has consistently through intelligent arguments, previews and overall discussion kept this thread active.

In no particular order

A40, Kliq, Donlittle, Sircumalot, BIRDMAN BIRDMAN, Joephemzyz, Decale, Justkay3, Ewuro4, Bobbieydey, r231, Oohmpa, Myndd44.

ROTFLMAO grin

It's the finals,let's just enjoy it regardless of the team/players we want to triumph.

GSW all the way!

cool

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Killrhymz: 9:35am On Jun 04, 2015
actually I don't post, but I read the thread always.thanks to all who have kept d thread active 2ru out d season and postseason. DA HIJACK HAS JUST BEGAN
Re: The NBA Begins by Bobbieydeey: 3:24pm On Jun 04, 2015
Lebron is so ready ! Can't wait #cavsGang
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:30pm On Jun 04, 2015
They can't chase us out of our thread jare.

Its the NBA Finals! Let's talk about the game we love

Many storylines in this matchup.

Will Lebron go 2-4

Will Ohio get its first professional sports title in 51 years

Will the Warriors win its first title in 40 years

LBJ and Steph Curry actually come from the same city believe it or not

One rookie coach wins a title in their debut season.

And it goes on and on

Key for the Cavs:
Force their ball handlers to cough up the ball. The Warriors are a very unique team with pretty much everyone bar Andrew Bogut able to handle the ball even going back to the bench (Iggy, Barbosa, Livingston) you are not going to force Steph into many turnovers so when the ball is out of his hands you have to make it count

Rebound, rebound. With Mozgov, Thompson, Lebron and even Shumpert the Cavs have a very decent corps of rebound guys. You have to limit the Warriors to one shot as often as possible. Failure to do so and you are exposing yourself to daggers and kickout bomb treys

Lebron can't do it alone. Hype Lebron all you want, call him the G.O.A.T but he's lost 3 NBA Finals for a reason. Inasmuch as you can only slow down Lebron you can't stop him it would be wiser for Lebron to defer to his teammates when he can and especially when his shots are not falling. His shooting in these playoffs have been ghastly at times, he's not making as many turnovers but with hounds like Thompson, Green, Iggy and Barnes that is also a distinct possibility

J.R Smith, Kyrie Irving. Re: what I said about Lebron can't do it alone. Unless the Cavs plan on keeping every game under 100 pts then these guys better come ready with their bullets. If its a shootout which most of the games could most likely be the Cavs don't stand a chance if these guys don't show up

Road wins. The Warriors have only lost 3 games at home all season. They've also won 33 games on the road. Simply put the Cavs are going to most likely need two wins at the Oracle Arena if they want to lift the Larry O'Brien trophy.

Keys for the Warriors:
Stage Fright: Unlike the Cavs this Warriors team have a total 0 minutes of NBA Finals experience. The entire roster!
The last team to win a title with that record was MJ's Bulls in 91. The good news is teams with their regular season record or better are 13-0 in the NBA Finals. If the Warriors are going to make it 14-0 then they have to forget the occasion and play with the fearlessness that got them this far. Swarming defense, excellent ball movement and ability to find the open man and of course the lights out shooting we have come to know and love

Turnovers: The Warriors have to take care of the ball better than they've done for most of the playoffs. If there is any achilles heel this team has its certainly that. The Cavs are not the turnover fastbreak fun machine the Heat used to be but they can still make you pay if you make sloppy decisions with the ball

Make Lebron beat you: Sounds wacky but there is a method to the madness. You want Lebron taking 20, 25 shots or more. This not only shuts out other guys like Kyrie who can drop 50 on a night or J.R Smith who can make 6-8 3's but it also takes a toll on Lebron defensively. You can't completely shut down Lebron but as the best defence in the league you can make him inefficient and its smooth sailing from there

Push the tempo: With two of the best shooters in the game and guys like Draymond and Harrison Barnes who can explode at the drop of a dime the Warriors simply have to make the Cavs play at their pace. This would largely negate Shumpert's defence and Thompson and Mozgov's ability to protect the rim.

Bench guys: The Warriors have the best bench in the league. Gast to make it count

If all else fails just turn off the Air Conditioner lol
Re: The NBA Begins by 00francis: 3:35pm On Jun 04, 2015
Second hijacker reporting for duty!

I'm also a very quiet follower of this thread.
It has been a great source of information. Never regretted following for one day.

I would like to say a big thank you to all the regulars in the house who always keep this thread alive.

By the way I bleed green!! Shout to all #TeamCeltics!

And GSW all the way for the finals...
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:42pm On Jun 04, 2015
Plenty of room for everybody. We all share a common passion for the game so no one needs to feel left out

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 9:27pm On Jun 04, 2015
Few hours to game 1

Finals MVP : Curry smiley
Re: The NBA Begins by OohMpa: 11:43pm On Jun 04, 2015
It's hereeeee!!!!

Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 3:08am On Jun 05, 2015
Game on

36-36 2nd half

Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 3:15am On Jun 05, 2015
Great shot from JR smith to end the half

CAVS 51-48 GSW
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 3:24am On Jun 05, 2015
kliq:
Great shot from JR smith to end the half

CAVS 51-48 GSW
team Warriors kiss

(1) (2) (3) ... (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) ... (2260) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.