Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1633921 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (2217) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:49am On Apr 11, 2016
My goodness.. we are watching greatness with Curry from deep.. that half court buzzer does not count however making it makes you wonder what the heck goes on inside his head.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:10am On Apr 11, 2016
you don't turn the ball over against the Warriors
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:15am On Apr 11, 2016
why wasnt danny green in the game in the 4th?
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:23am On Apr 11, 2016
Donlittle:
why wasnt danny green in the game in the 4th?

Danny stunk the joint all night.. one to forget for him
Re: The NBA Begins by kliq(m): 2:24am On Apr 11, 2016
Sweet victory for GSW
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:24am On Apr 11, 2016
is old age catching up with tony parker?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:25am On Apr 11, 2016
Roland17:

Danny stunk the joint all night.. one to forget for him
oh dang, i just tuned in in the fourth. Do you think this game showed definitely showed who will the WCF?
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 2:26am On Apr 11, 2016
never thought they could do it.
what is there to say again about this GSW team ?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:31am On Apr 11, 2016
This rose gold onwude chick though, let just take a moment to appreciate The beauty God gave her. Such beauty, will sell all my father land to buy her a ring, still do not think it is enough though.
Re: The NBA Begins by Mizzzbeee(f): 2:31am On Apr 11, 2016
Spurs back to back to back losses lipsrsealed 3 times shocked where is drinkmorewater that placed his chip on spurs for the championship.. I hope you don't put your life savings on that bet o cry
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 2:35am On Apr 11, 2016
Donlittle:
oh dang, i just tuned in in the fourth. Do you think this game showed definitely showed who will the WCF?

I think i am worried the Spurs may struggle if any series stretches, WCF is a huge ask however they have to play to their pace which they tried to force, few bright lights tonight, they struggled to get Kawahi going offensively.

The Warriors are the team to beat especially if Curry keeps scoring these insane and unbelievable buckets.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 3:03am On Apr 11, 2016
Donlittle:
This rose gold onwude chick though, let just take a moment to appreciate The beauty God gave her. Such beauty, will sell all my father land to buy her a ring, still do not think it is enough though.
She's Nigerian though no doubt were the beauty came from. cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 3:11am On Apr 11, 2016
Much respect to Steve Kerr and Pop. Warriors all the way. The basketball Gods has spoken today.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 3:37am On Apr 11, 2016
Donlittle:
This is a team of destiny tbh. They played a nailbiter at the Grizzlies only a night before. A loss would have crushed their spirits but now not only did they end the Spurs home streak they also ended a 19year run of regular season losses. Ensured they were going to bring 72-10 to rest, highest number of road wins, only team to not lose back to back

They will be too strong for the Spurs

Steph da chef best player in the league hands down

Also I don't think the Warriors should be putting Green on Lamarcus Aldridge. Matchup nightmare

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by lucien4scaffold(m): 5:13am On Apr 11, 2016
Golden State Warriors now 72 wins and even with 72 wins of Chicago Bulls led by Michael Jordan in 1995--1996 season.
Re: The NBA Begins by drinkmorewater: 7:44am On Apr 11, 2016
Mizzzbeee:
Spurs back to back to back losses lipsrsealed 3 times shocked where is drinkmorewater that placed his chip on spurs for the championship.. I hope you don't put your life savings on that bet o cry

grin

Aint shi(t) happening beee!

Regardless I already placed my bet on SAS & CLE getting the ring agst someone who picked GSW, so its all good smiley
Re: The NBA Begins by Skywalker5(m): 8:15am On Apr 11, 2016
Why do i have a feeling Gregg Popovich has something up his sleeves? Good game by the warriors. I noticed they play a different game when it comes to the Spurs.Danny Green also messed up on defense and offense. Glad to see the warriors making history but i would sleep very well once i know they don't have to face spurs on the road to the finals.
Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 9:32am On Apr 11, 2016
Skywalker5:
Why do i have a feeling Gregg Popovich has something up his sleeves? Good game by the warriors. I noticed they play a different game when it comes to the Spurs.Danny Green also messed up on defense and offense. Glad to see the warriors making history but i would sleep very well once i know they don't have to face spurs on the road to the finals.
Pop cared so much about the home win winning streak. He was quick to test his tactics on the second game when the Spurs won and they couldn't replicate the same game today. But like a Wizard that he is, he'd be able to bring tough game during the playoffs. I'm still wondering how they lost to Clippers last season.
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 1:33am On Apr 12, 2016
SmooshCHN:
Pop cared so much about the home win winning streak. He was quick to test his tactics on the second game when the Spurs won and they couldn't replicate the same game today. But like a Wizard that he is, he'd be able to bring tough game during the playoffs. I'm still wondering how they lost to Clippers last season.
they were not good enough and didn't have home court is enough reason.

diaw was out last night but I don't see him making enough difference to matter that much, though he is an improvement over whoever plays center against the warriors
Re: The NBA Begins by drinkmorewater: 5:08am On Apr 12, 2016
"The Mavericks beat the Jazz on Monday night, meaning If the Rockets beat the Kings at home on Wednesday in the season finale, they will be in the playoffs."

Like I said it will happen A40 !!! Only Hou gonna be 8th because of that so called easy schedule U said doesn't matter!

Anyways fingers crossed but then again even if they did go, the splash brothers won't be smiling, The Rockets would just be a definition of a spot filler, nothing more nothing less!

Meanwhile Mizzzbeee fave player "King Bron" is getting HOTT when it matters, If there's any player that can single handed ly win a ring, its this ni(cc)ur right here.

The playoffs are commiiiiing... grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:54am On Apr 12, 2016
drinkmorewater:
"The Mavericks beat the Jazz on Monday night, meaning If the Rockets beat the Kings at home on Wednesday in the season finale, they will be in the playoffs."

Like I said it will happen A40 !!! Only Hou gonna be 8th because of that so called easy schedule U said doesn't matter!

Anyways fingers crossed but then again even if they did go, the splash brothers won't be smiling, The Rockets would just be a definition of a spot filler, nothing more nothing less!

Meanwhile Mizzzbeee fave player "King Bron" is getting HOTT when it matters, If there's any player that can single handed ly win a ring, its this ni(cc)ur right here.

That man has never singlehandedly won a ring. He does gets get you to the playoffs and finals alone though. You must have forgotten why he took his talent to miami so soon? I Digress grin

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 6:24pm On Apr 12, 2016
drinkmorewater:

James singlehandedly win a ring? that's hilarious. From Miami, he had to go with Wade, Bosh, Ray Allen. And back at Cleveland is JR Smith, Kevin Love, James Jones, Tristan Thompson, Iman Shumpert and even meeting Kyrie Irving on the throne.. All these truckloads of talents before moving to a team and you call it singlehandedly. grin

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by drinkmorewater: 7:31pm On Apr 12, 2016
Donlittle:
That man has never singlehandedly won a ring. He does gets get you to the playoffs and finals alone though. You must have forgotten why he took his talent to miami so soon? I Digress grin

Ok let's broaden this

1, Can U say Micheal Jordan can single handed ly get U a ring? If yes then remember Jordan team was loaded especially the second year of the 3 peat that had scotty pippen and even the '97 finals that was basically him as the major superstar, he couldn't carry his team! So yeah LBJ needed help in Mia ( I mean who didn't?)

2, Also are we both in accordance that the NBA has progressed dramatically in terms of talent, tactically and technicality (maybe not physicality but that's still debatable) since the 90's, can U say MJ alone will carry these cavs to ring w/o love & irving?

3, If yes .. Then Can U say LBJ hasn't in this current NBA years done at least more or attained the same greatness as MJ

At the end of the day, I think we should realize they were greats and greats undoubtedly can carry a team to the ultimate glory not withstanding

Cc; SmooshCHN
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 7:48pm On Apr 12, 2016
drinkmorewater:

Ok let's broaden this

1, Can U say Micheal Jordan can single handed ly get U a ring? If yes then remember Jordan team was loaded especially the second year of the 3 peat that had scotty pippen and even the '97 finals that was basically him as the major superstar, he couldn't carry his team! So yeah LBJ needed help in Mia ( I mean who didn't?)

2, Also are we both in accordance that the NBA has progressed dramatically in terms of talent, tactically and technicality (maybe not physicality but that's still debatable) since the 90's, can U say MJ alone will carry these cavs to ring w/o love & irving?

3, If yes .. Then Can U say LBJ hasn't in this current NBA years done at least more or attained the same greatness as MJ

At the end of the day, I think we should realize they were greats and greats undoubtedly can carry a team to the ultimate glory not withstanding

Cc; SmooshCHN
You said a man single handedly won a ring, but now you are saying he had help? grin grin
He had loads of help, WADE AND BOSH WERE ALL STARS bro. RAY ALLEN IS A HALL OF FAMER.

if you are talking about players that single handedly willed their team to a championship, talk about Dirk.

LEBRON did not single handedly carry a team to glory. The year bosh and wade were not themselves, he lost. He went to cleveland, and lost because the guys he had with him were not up to the task yet. He did not will any one to a championship.
Re: The NBA Begins by drinkmorewater: 9:29pm On Apr 12, 2016
Donlittle:
You said a man single handedly won a ring, but now you are saying he had help? grin grin
He had loads of help, WADE AND BOSH WERE ALL STARS bro. RAY ALLEN IS A HALL OF FAMER.

if you are talking about players that single handedly willed their team to a championship, talk about Dirk.

LEBRON did not single handedly carry a team to glory. The year bosh and wade were not themselves, he lost. He went to cleveland, and lost because the guys he had with him were not up to the task yet. He did not will any one to a championship.

I was just trying to counter argue to those who did say "if I said MJ couldn't do it then how so for LBJ"

And so Did MJ ever win a championship just by himself,his high scoring stats always eclipsed the fact that he had at least one other good star in his team ( go check the roosters in his title winning season) yet peeps still regard him as the greatest and apply the term to him that "he can win a ring without a star around him"

You Mentioned Dirk , yeah good point there!

Let me counter? How bout Wade in '06? grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 4:31am On Apr 13, 2016
drinkmorewater:

Ok let's broaden this

Cc; SmooshCHN

I totally disagree with the bold in terms of the variables you listed. if anything the league has regressed immensely.

Talent:

How many new generation NBA players can we attest to their talent? i mean raw talent that is viable, sustainable and capable of building a franchise? the new generation player is not prepared for the rigors of the league, the league has continuously scrapped rules just to fit the new generation of the league yet only a handful of players can be termed talent in the league.

I agree the game has evolved and change is inevitable, however the talent pool has not increased we are watching too many players with similar styles who get drowned in honing a particular skill.

Tactics:

Popovic has remained a mystery to the newer generation of NBA fans, writers and coaches because the truth is there is an obvious dearth of coaches who truly understand tactics and play to the strength of their roaster, in the past, only few teams could boast of superstar yet we watched the competition and contest in games.

Chuck Daly (one of my all time favorite), Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, Larry Brown (One of the best tactician) these guys defined tactics, today have you watched time outs closely? what kind of plays are today's coaches drawing? most of them have become way too predictable and boring.
There is not much coaching going on on the sidelines worth more timeouts, how many players have shown gradual improvement in skill set owing to coaching? i can only name a few with Kawahi headlining the list, the rest you mention i might argue it had nothing to do with coaching and that includes players like Westbrook.

Technique/ Skill

I want to know the skill you are talking about here.

This variable has suffered the worst regression over the years, how many NBA players have footwork today? do you wonder why Kobe appreciates European players than american trained players? its simple the newer generation lacks the basic basketball skill, footwork, ball handling, rhythm, timing.

Do you watch the games closely to see how many players travel, double dribble during the game and they are rarely called, like i said the league is working tirelessly to ensure the game suits the need of the current breed of players. compare the current PG in the league to Jason Kidd, Billups (Mr big shots), Stockton, Steve Nash in his prime, Isaiah Thomas, Iverson, Gary Payton (beast in size).

I follow college basket ball religiously, I have three cousins who play AAU basketball, i watch them when i can and they would tell you all the coaches care about is small ball and developing a shooting range irrespective of skill set and you are here yarning improvements in skills.

Let me not even talk about defense because it is on ghost mode and guys are hating Isiah Thomas for stating the obvious.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by SmooshCHN: 4:35am On Apr 13, 2016
A team growing day by day into a championship team is far different from acquiring mass of great players at a time because you want to win. Needing help and "singlehandedly" are Contradictory and have different meanings. So you can't say LBJ singlehandedly won a ring and needed help. The right word is: he made sure he had a constellation of stars before moving to Miami or back to Cleveland. If he doesn't win the finals, I bet he'll opt out.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 1:06pm On Apr 13, 2016
roland17
what is the cutoff point between the old nba and the new one ?
i think for THIS discussion to be clearer you guys need to define the boundary for example is kevin durant old school or new school ?
and on some of this point and i mean no disrespect by this,nostalgia might be clouding your judgment a bit,i mean considering the amount of scouting and the talent pool of potential players in the USA and the world in general it isn't right to really say the league as regressed,infact i think it is the opposite you need to be a multifaceted to make it in today's NBA.
is Towns or anthony davis not talented enough to build a roster around ?
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 1:42pm On Apr 13, 2016
SIRcumalot:
roland17
what is the cutoff point between the old nba and the new one ?
i think for THIS discussion to be clearer you guys need to define the boundary for example is kevin durant old school or new school ?
and on some of this point and i mean no disrespect by this,nostalgia might be clouding your judgment a bit,i mean considering the amount of scouting and the talent pool of potential players in the USA and the world in general it isn't right to really say the league as regressed,infact i think it is the opposite you need to be a multifaceted to make it in today's NBA.
is Towns or anthony davis not talented enough to build a roster around ?

Durant, Curry, Kawahi, Blake Griffin, Paul George, headline the newer generation if you ask me, I am not sure I want Wade, Lebron, Dirk, Melo, Howard in the newer generation mix and I think they adapted well either ways and have found ways to remain dominant despite the changes in the league.

When you mention multi facet, what do u mean? What skill set do you combine in today's NBA to be termed multi facet?

In a two conferenced league you are only able to mention two newer generation young players with the potential of building a franchise, does that interpret anything to you? I even thought Kawahi would lead your list.

I have seen too many bursts start out fast, I appreciate town's record and current skill however you of people should know it is way too early to define success and sustainability, this his is rookie year.

Davis is talented again what have we seen in terms of sustainability? Can you build a franchise around Davis? Absolutely.. Can Davis lead a franchise? That is an entirely different debate, the kid has regressed significantly and the coming season is very important for him however I still believe in his talent.

Take the 76ers for instance, with every variable remaining constant which coach do u think would achieve the best result in winning between Popovic who represents a different era and Steve Kerr a newer generation coach?
Re: The NBA Begins by SIRcumalot: 2:57pm On Apr 13, 2016
Roland17:

Durant, Curry, Kawahi, Blake Griffin, Paul George, headline the newer generation if you ask me, I am not sure I want Wade, Lebron, Dirk, Melo, Howard in the newer generation mix and I think they adapted well either ways and have found ways to remain dominant despite the changes in the league.

When you mention multi facet, what do u mean? What skill set do you combine in today's NBA to be termed multi facet?

In a two conferenced league you are only able to mention two newer generation young players with the potential of building a franchise, does that interpret anything to you? I even thought Kawahi would lead your list.

I have seen too many bursts start out fast, I appreciate town's record and current skill however you of people should know it is way too early to define success and sustainability, this his is rookie year.

Davis is talented again what have we seen in terms of sustainability? Can you build a franchise around Davis? Absolutely.. Can Davis lead a franchise? That is an entirely different debate, the kid has regressed significantly and the coming season is very important for him however I still believe in his talent.

Take the 76ers for instance, with every variable remaining constant which coach do u think would achieve the best result in winning between Popovic who represents a different era and Steve Kerr a newer generation coach?

bigs; shouldn't just be black holes on offense they should be able to pass,block shot and provide some range better if (they shoot threes) towns,AD and porzingis basically a two way player.okafor,wiley cauley stein and whiteside (all similar to howard who is becoming irrelevant) are relics of the past era and are limited by theirs skills so far.

for smalls;basically decent shooting,decent ball handling and ability to create your own shot and run a decent offense and a play passable defense,so many players fit this bill the league belongs to the guard nowadays anyway.

i only mentioned a few names because i only want to name certifiable franchise player and since i only have from durant class to work i really can't comu up with enough numbers compared to you since history is on your side and you can go back 20yrs to name a super star player.

considering towns and AD i feel like if we go back to duncan,jordan,lebron,wade or any other superstar in their first or second year you would repeat this argument and you would be right we can only judge based on there body of work so far and both of them are putting up numbers.

i can't say anything concerning pop and kerr since i believe you're only as good as the talent you manage. but if i really have to choose then pop.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:31am On Apr 14, 2016
Great effort by my Celtics to finish the season with a W at the TD Garden. troubling seeding though but proud of my C's this season.

#greenrunsdeep
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:36am On Apr 14, 2016
I gave a standing ovation alongside the crowd for the 'black mamba", his heart was his greatest skill. you never learn that.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (2217) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.