Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,996 members, 7,821,476 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1931) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1633431 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1928) (1929) (1930) (1931) (1932) (1933) (1934) ... (2217) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 1:11pm On May 14, 2022
You no even wait for game to end, you don already drop excuse. I mean who tells us anybody that, oh you won because of your rebounding. Am i not supposed to try to rebound?
steady986:
If the Warriors win this game, it will be because of their rebounding (and the referees cool )
Re: The NBA Begins by benji93: 1:14pm On May 14, 2022
I don't know why you replied. This person either doesn't know what spamming means abi he just feels the need to throw Steph Curry into his argument. Steph Curry is fast becoming a constant. cheesy grin
Skrrrrrrr:

grin grin grin grin
I just saw this.
What won't I see on this thread.
Someone with a FG% of 47% is what you call a spammer grin grin grin
For emphasis, that's a higher FG% than Kobe Bryant.
Curry shoots a Ton of 3s and save for this erratic season, he has never shot less than 40%, you can't be a spammer when you make them that high.
You need to be flogged for this blasphemy...
Re: The NBA Begins by afrodoc2: 4:27pm On May 14, 2022
Khanben:

What of CP3, Booker are they also bad midrange shooters. You keep bringing up this argument as if we all don't know if we judge by modern standards the likes of Kobe, Tmac and Ai so called midrange masters will be called inefficient shooters. The only wing player in history who shot the midrange at an efficient percentage is MJ and that is the whole list

Not only MJ. Bernard King was a quiet midrange killer. And very efficient too.

Your general premise on 3 vs 2 is right though as teams become more proficient at shooting and guarding 3s it opens up potential real estate for a midrange expert.
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 4:52pm On May 14, 2022
A40:
I can see that you just enjoy pointless jejune arguments. Whether big whether small. I'm talking of the general dearth in guys that used to be able to knock it down from midrange.

Settling for the way 'easier' shots you cannot make is why a Houston Rockets team will miss 27 3s in a row in a must win game and shoot themselves out of a chance to get to the Finals. It's also why the Suns never made the Finals and even the Warriors had to get a midrange killer to vanquish Lebron and the Cavs

Stop telling me what I already know about the era of basketball we are in. My point was if you're a team with a glaring 3pt shooting weakness do you keep fighting with an arm tied behind your back or have some form of counter. Which is the midrange game if you have a reliable one.

Again you're going out of your way to misunderstand yourself. I didn't say every shot should be a midrange shot. Your analogy is actually useless as Milwaukee shot less than 26% from 3. So your 35% from 3 analogy does not apply. If you're a traditionally poor shooting team like Milwaukee do you fold and keep spamming 3s or play to your other strengths.

Having players that can knock down 45% from midrange is better than a Trae Young that can go 16% from 3 in a series while taking 8 3s per game

What do you mean nobody on my list was shooting 45% from midrange. Prime Dirk was making 60% from that area some postseasons. He averaged 47% his entire career

So all of the great players you listed only Dirk shot a measly 47%, Dirk who is one of the greatest shooters of all time and also 7ft tall. So your logic is that coaches should encourage a shot that only the GOAT and a Unicorn could make at above 45% as a great strategy.
I was using 45% as an example to be generous, there is no way in hell any player alive will shoot 45% from midrange because even the OGs who made it a focus of their game did not shoot 45%.
On a bad shooting night the Bucks who are not the best 3 shot making team, shot 26% from 3, with 24 of those shots taken by role players and they still contributed 21pts.
On a bad shooting night the Suns who are the best midrange shooting team, the whole team went 10/33 and contributed 20 pts to a losing effort. They shot 4 more shots and made 3 more than the Bucks but still contributed less points.

DeRozan is the perfect study for what the midrange game is in this age of efficiency, in case you dont know DeRozan has a way better percentage than Kobe, AI and Tmac and at the same time he, just like them has been for most of his career the guy, who the other team defenses plan for, but you know what his career has amounted to in this age of efficiency, an afterthought.

PS : What you seem not to understand is that a team like the Bucks does not have any role player who is a great shooter. So in that instance the job of the coach is to draw up the easiest shots possible for them. So making them take midrange shots is way worse than them settling for the 3s because they will end up shooting a worse percentage comparatively from midrange.
The same thing goes for most of the league, and do you know what you see from teams who have great/good shooters as role players, they sometimes take the midrange eg, Herro, Huerter

Also as for Trae Young you really expect someone that short in this era of drop coverage to shoot well from midrange, the Celtics with Tatum and co shot 34% from 15ft in, whenever Giannis and Lopez were both on the floor for the first 3 games of their ongoing series. That is what defense in the league looks like now, there is no longer the 1v1 shut down parade that used to occur in the 90s and 2000s that led to the Jazz, Cavs and co leaving MJ 1v1 against average defenders for not only game winng shots but down the stretch of games.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 4:59pm On May 14, 2022
donlittle25:

Steve nash and Tony parker are inefficient?

Why you they lie ?

See their FG percentages lol

Steve Nash has repeatedly said it that he wished he had just gone all the way and shot more 3s, during his time with the Suns. The results might just have pushed the analysts to figure out why they were winning with this weird brand of basketball, which is what they did when GSW started doing it. If he and Dantoni had just went all the way, he would have been the figure head of the modern 3 dominant basketball rather than Steph
Re: The NBA Begins by donlittle25: 7:05pm On May 14, 2022
Khanben:

Steve Nash has repeatedly said it that he wished he had just gone all the way and shot more 3s, during his time with the Suns. The results might just have pushed the analysts to figure out why they were winning with this weird brand of basketball, which is what they did when GSW started doing it. If he and Dantoni had just went all the way, he would have been the figure head of the modern 3 dominant basketball rather than Steph
That is not the point of the discussion, You said he is inefficient but stats don’t lie. Stop peddling false information man.

You lie abi you no lie?

Also of course he wished that, he is a great shooter and if he has shot more threes he would have made them at a higher percentage that even the players now but on a night when the three ball is not falling, you have another trick in the bag which is the midrange.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 3:47am On May 15, 2022
Now, while I think TNT have done a great job in the assemble of their playoffs studio analysts, especially with the addition of the GOAT (Wayne Gretzky) and absorbing Anson Carter and Liam Mchugh from NBCSN, I still miss the NBSCN group. The cast of Mike Milbury (Whose contract was terminated before the end of last season anyways), Jeremy Roenick (Was also fired in 2020), Pierre McGuire, Keith Jones and the beautiful Kathryn Tappen. As for ESPN? They are as horrible as their NBA pregame shows.

I hope it is not the last time we see P. Bergeron on the ice, otherwise, I wish him all the best if he decides to retire.
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 5:39am On May 15, 2022
Of course it had to be C. McDavid! Talk about speed, control and accuracy in shooting the puck. Kings 2-0 Oilers.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 6:24am On May 15, 2022
Khanben:

Nash is wrong on 2 fronts.

First, skill: The level of skill Steph is displaying is far above anything Nash had either on the Suns or with the Mavs. On both teams, Nash had offensive minded coaches in Dantoni and the crazy genius Don Nelson. The reason Nash didnt shoot more 3s is because of the cap on his skill level. Many of Nash's 3s were as a result of being open, not contested shots like Steph.

Secondly, style of play: There is nothing in Dantoni's Suns style of play that is worth emulating or that can produce one ring, let alone 3. In fact, the suns lost rings to the Lakers and Spurs because Dantoni could never make the in game adjustments required. The Spurs and Lakers constantly figured out how to clamp down on the hot shooting Suns.

The warriors style of play are more like the princeton offense popularized by Rick Adelman while with Kings, and also Rockets. Completely different beast even though it looks flashy like Dantonis's style. You will notice that just like Webber a big PF on the Kings touched the ball a lot, the bigs on the warriors are very involved in ball movement.

The main reason the Kings dont have a ring with Adelman was the infamous game where the refs decided Lakers must win. Was it game 6 WCF? Cant remember now. Man, I have goosebumps just remembering Peja and Bibby

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:18am On May 15, 2022
Khanben:

So all of the great players you listed only Dirk shot a measly 47%, Dirk who is one of the greatest shooters of all time and also 7ft tall. So your logic is that coaches should encourage a shot that only the GOAT and a Unicorn could make at above 45% as a great strategy.
I was using 45% as an example to be generous, there is no way in hell any player alive will shoot 45% from midrange because even the OGs who made it a focus of their game did not shoot 45%.
On a bad shooting night the Bucks who are not the best 3 shot making team, shot 26% from 3, with 24 of those shots taken by role players and they still contributed 21pts.
On a bad shooting night the Suns who are the best midrange shooting team, the whole team went 10/33 and contributed 20 pts to a losing effort. They shot 4 more shots and made 3 more than the Bucks but still contributed less points.
I was talking overall career. Some of the others I listed were able to top 45% in separate singular seasons as well.

Again you can see here that there are players on this list still utilizing the mid range.

https://www.nba.com/news/derozan-durant-lead-top-10-mid-range-scorers

The Suns 10/33 from midrange was an extreme outlier. While the Bucks have been a consistently bad 3pt team in the postseason. Milwaukee's only edge comes from size and points in the paint whereas on average Phoenix is still going to score and average more points than Milwaukee so I don't see how your example holds here. Milwaukee's poor shooting is closer to the mean. Phoenix is not

Khanben:

DeRozan is the perfect study for what the midrange game is in this age of efficiency, in case you dont know DeRozan has a way better percentage than Kobe, AI and Tmac and at the same time he, just like them has been for most of his career the guy, who the other team defenses plan for, but you know what his career has amounted to in this age of efficiency, an afterthought.
DeRozan's downfall is running to Lebron. And his extreme aversion to shooting 3s in a 3 dominated era, Nothing more. We can see what an improved version of DeRozan. Kawhi Leonard was able to do with his midrange game.

Khanben:

PS : What you seem not to understand is that a team like the Bucks does not have any role player who is a great shooter. So in that instance the job of the coach is to draw up the easiest shots possible for them. So making them take midrange shots is way worse than them settling for the 3s because they will end up shooting a worse percentage comparatively from midrange.
The same thing goes for most of the league, and do you know what you see from teams who have great/good shooters as role players, they sometimes take the midrange eg, Herro, Huerter
Stop being ridiculous. We're in a copycat league. One team stumbles on a magic formula and every other team is out there trying to duplicate it to death whether they have the requisite skillset and personnel or not. We used to have stretch 4s and spot up guys that could get to their spot on the floor and had an almost automatic 10-15 footer.

There's no excuse for mediocre 3pt shooters to keep spamming 3s when they can work on a nice 12 footer and not shoot their teams out of games

Khanben:

Also as for Trae Young you really expect someone that short in this era of drop coverage to shoot well from midrange, the Celtics with Tatum and co shot 34% from 15ft in, whenever Giannis and Lopez were both on the floor for the first 3 games of their ongoing series. That is what defense in the league looks like now, there is no longer the 1v1 shut down parade that used to occur in the 90s and 2000s that led to the Jazz, Cavs and co leaving MJ 1v1 against average defenders for not only game winng shots but down the stretch of games.
So who's on Miami that is as big as Giannis and Lopez? How much taller is Chris Paul compared to Trae Young? You have no argument here trying to overhype this present era of defense. Tatum is facing a top 2 defense I can almost guarantee his numbers would be better against any other opponent in the playoffs

I told you Trae Young had no bag outside of spamming 3s and I was proven right while you keep flooding this thread with excuses. The irony is Trae Young actually shot a decent percentage from 10-16ft. The only problem? Less than 10% of his attempts came from that area of the floor.

He was so fixated on spamming 3s he did not even see his best % shooting was from 10-16. Hence he kept spamming shots from an area he was making it at a less than 20% clip not giving his team a fighting chance to win games. Cos you're basically saying it's better to keep attempting 55% of your shots from a place where you're only making it at an 18% clip just cos it's a 3. That's just ridiculous
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:26am On May 15, 2022
birdman:

Nash is wrong on 2 fronts.

First, skill: The level of skill Steph is displaying is far above anything Nash had either on the Suns or with the Mavs. On both teams, Nash had offensive minded coaches in Dantoni and the crazy genius Don Nelson. The reason Nash didnt shoot more 3s is because of the cap on his skill level. Many of Nash's 3s were as a result of being open, not contested shots like Steph.

Secondly, style of play: There is nothing in Dantoni's Suns style of play that is worth emulating or that can produce one ring, let alone 3. In fact, the suns lost rings to the Lakers and Spurs because Dantoni could never make the in game adjustments required. The Spurs and Lakers constantly figured out how to clamp down on the hot shooting Suns.

The warriors style of play are more like the princeton offense popularized by Rick Adelman while with Kings, and also Rockets. Completely different beast even though it looks flashy like Dantonis's style. You will notice that just like Webber a big PF on the Kings touched the ball a lot, the bigs on the warriors are very involved in ball movement.

The main reason the Kings dont have a ring with Adelman was the infamous game where the refs decided Lakers must win. Was it game 6 WCF? Cant remember now. Man, I have goosebumps just remembering Peja and Bibby
People don't understand that Steph and Klay Thompson are an anomaly. Trying to outdo them at their area of strength is asinine. Nash and the Suns would have fallen short. Same way your Houston Rockets fell short trying to outshoot the Warriors. I mean they got as far as a team could possibly go but trying to be the bootleg version of a great team will only make you an also ran. They were the Chrysler 300 to Golden State's Phantom

James Harden for example spams 3's at almost the same clip as Steph but he's never going to get same results. Why? Cos he is 7% worse at it than Steph is on average.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:30am On May 15, 2022
Roland17:
Now, while I think TNT have done a great job in the assemble of their playoffs studio analysts, especially with the addition of the GOAT (Wayne Gretzky) and absorbing Anson Carter and Liam Mchugh from NBCSN, I still miss the NBSCN group. The cast of Mike Milbury (Whose contract was terminated before the end of last season anyways), Jeremy Roenick (Was also fired in 2020), Pierre McGuire, Keith Jones and the beautiful Kathryn Tappen. As for ESPN? They are as horrible as their NBA pregame shows.

I hope it is not the last time we see P. Bergeron on the ice, otherwise, I wish him all the best if he decides to retire.

The Leafs are cursed at this point. Good to finally see McDavid win a series

This has the potential to be a landmark end of season. My Penguins look like they're about to blow a 3-1 lead. Might be the end of the road for guys like Bergeron, Malkin who knows maybe even Crosby.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:39am On May 15, 2022
donlittle25:
That is not the point of the discussion, You said he is inefficient but stats don’t lie. Stop peddling false information man.

You lie abi you no lie?

Also of course he wished that, he is a great shooter and if he has shot more threes he would have made them at a higher percentage that even the players now but on a night when the three ball is not falling, you have another trick in the bag which is the midrange.
I don't know why I bother with him. When he was mentioning Trae Young with Tony Parker is when I should have known he was just trying to constitute nuisance on this page.

Being overly reliant on the 3 makes you highly susceptible to terrible playoff performances. On nights you can't hit you look like amateurs. Guys like Harden, Trae Young this year showed that. Donovan Mitchell too.

All one is saying is that it would be nice if these guys took more midrange shots as there is less likelihood of having ridiculously bad shooting nights that give you no shot
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 7:41am On May 15, 2022
afrodoc2:

Not only MJ. Bernard King was a quiet midrange killer. And very efficient too.

Your general premise on 3 vs 2 is right though as teams become more proficient at shooting and guarding 3s it opens up potential real estate for a midrange expert.
It really is about taking what the defense gives you and playing to your strengths. That's playoff basketball

It's like Dillon Brooks yesterday who was trying to outshoot Klay Thompson. Like who do you think you are
Re: The NBA Begins by haykinzz(m): 10:59am On May 15, 2022
Guys for those teams that tied 3-3 in play off. What’s going to happen next’?
Re: The NBA Begins by Hohenheim(m): 11:27am On May 15, 2022
haykinzz:
Guys for those teams that tied 3-3 in play off. What’s going to happen next’?
Game 7 tonight.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:00pm On May 15, 2022
Tatum is locked in. Giannis is feeding his teammates and luckily they are hitting shots so far
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:22pm On May 15, 2022
Tatum braah
Re: The NBA Begins by Khanben: 9:23pm On May 15, 2022
A40:
I don't know why I bother with him. When he was mentioning Trae Young with Tony Parker is when I should have known he was just trying to constitute nuisance on this page.

Being overly reliant on the 3 makes you highly susceptible to terrible playoff performances. On nights you can't hit you look like amateurs. Guys like Harden, Trae Young this year showed that. Donovan Mitchell too.

All one is saying is that it would be nice if these guys took more midrange shots as there is less likelihood of having ridiculously bad shooting nights that give you no shot

Your assumption, does not hold with the statistics, you mention the Rockets lost a game with bad shooting form 3s and I can mention series that were lost with bad shooting nights from long 2s. The Lakers lose to the Pistons ,the 2 finals losses by the Nets. All these series were lost because the losing team shot a bad percentage from 2s.
Your problem is the same problem most people who don't understand statistics have, the fact is, what we assume as common sense and statistics don't always mesh.
There is a greater chance of a team shooting less than 50% from 2s (which constitutes a poor FG%) than a team shooting less than 35% from 3, and that is an irrefutable fact.
let me give you a table of what constitutes equitable percentages cause it seem you don't understand.
Most of the percentages given below I am rounding up to make it easier to understand.

10% from 3 = 15% from 2
20% from 3 = 30% from 2
25% from 3 = 37.5% from 2
27% from 3 = 40% from 2
30% from 3 = 45% from 2
34% from 3 = 50% from 2
40% from 3 = 60% from 2

Any sane person who understands basketball and how shooting can fluctuate on a night to night basis, know for a fact that it is easier achieve the percentages presented on the left that its corresponding percentage presented on the right
Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 9:44pm On May 15, 2022
A40:

I totally agree
Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 9:48pm On May 15, 2022
A40:

I'm so enjoying this

Tell them bro
Re: The NBA Begins by smokers: 9:48pm On May 15, 2022
Bad foul from giannis

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 9:50pm On May 15, 2022
benji93:
You no even wait for game to end, you don already drop excuse. I mean who tells us anybody that, oh you won because of your rebounding. Am i not supposed to try to rebound?

The guy dey always talk nonsense

Beer parlor Mama Ebuka Analyst
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 9:53pm On May 15, 2022
Brook Lopez has been the story of the first half for both teams. He has disrupted everything we want to do inside the paint offensively. His interior presence means Grant Williams is open in the corner, problem is he has struggled to knock his open shots down. When we drive his length is troubling and he blocking shots.

On defense, he has contested and out rebounded us, giving the Bucks multiple 2nd chance points. When the Bucks go inside the paint with him, it gives Giannis the opening to either score or find another open player. I hope they call the 3 seconds violation more, because he pretty much sits inside the paint.
Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 9:54pm On May 15, 2022
Khanben:
At least the Steph and Draymond slander can rest.

Rest how

But for Klay..same Klay I told you was key..we would've lost

I'm not resting

Steph's poor play is going to hurt his legacy

He can't carry a team by himself and this shouldn't be compared to lebron any longer

A GSW fan by the way who says things as he sees them
Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 9:56pm On May 15, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:
Where is that dude that was comparing Steven Adams to Draymond. Adam got outrebounded by both Draymond, Looney and wiggins and scored a total of 4 points in 28mins.
You think it's about Size?
How tall was Charles Barkley again? Dude was shorter than Draymond but is one of the best rebounders of all time.
Draymond may have his issues but he has earned his cred. He was an All star this year. Put some respect on his name undecided undecided undecided undecided

I'm right here homie and I stand by what I said

It's just one game.

Let's see them score 70 rebounds per game in the finals...lollll

GSW co-fans are Soo blinded by sentiments
Re: The NBA Begins by Blueelf: 9:58pm On May 15, 2022
Skrrrrrrr:

grin grin grin grin
I just saw this.
What won't I see on this thread.
Someone with a FG% of 47% is what you call a spammer grin grin grin
For emphasis, that's a higher FG% than Kobe Bryant.
Curry shoots a Ton of 3s and save for this erratic season, he has never shot less than 40%, you can't be a spammer when you make them that high.
You need to be flogged for this blasphemy...

Oga, he is right

Curry has been spamming 3s this season and has been desperately stat padding

That's the truth
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:03pm On May 15, 2022
Khanben:

Your assumption, does not hold with the statistics, you mention the Rockets lost a game with bad shooting form 3s and I can mention series that were lost with bad shooting nights from long 2s. The Lakers lose to the Pistons ,the 2 finals losses by the Nets. All these series were lost because the losing team shot a bad percentage from 2s.
Your problem is the same problem most people who don't understand statistics have, the fact is, what we assume as common sense and statistics don't always mesh.
There is a greater chance of a team shooting less than 50% from 2s (which constitutes a poor FG%) than a team shooting less than 35% from 3, and that is an irrefutable fact.
let me give you a table of what constitutes equitable percentages cause it seem you don't understand.
Most of the percentages given below I am rounding up to make it easier to understand.

10% from 3 = 15% from 2
20% from 3 = 30% from 2
25% from 3 = 37.5% from 2
27% from 3 = 40% from 2
30% from 3 = 45% from 2
34% from 3 = 50% from 2
40% from 3 = 60% from 2

Any sane person who understands basketball and how shooting can fluctuate on a night to night basis, know for a fact that it is easier achieve the percentages presented on the left that its corresponding percentage presented on the right
You're just chatting dust at this point. For starters the Nets played in a different era and were facing superior opponents. Pistons had guys like Rasheed and RIP Hamilton. Yet you're surprised the Lakers lost? Detroit had guys who were better at shooting the 2 so of course they would lose. You have no point

We're seeing how Milwaukee are shooting themselves out of this game rn
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:06pm On May 15, 2022
That bonehead play by Giannis at the half just might have cost the Bucks this series. When you see the nonsense Grayson Allen, Wesley Matthews are playing you wonder why didn't the Bucks just keep Tucker
Re: The NBA Begins by Shittaakeem(m): 10:16pm On May 15, 2022
Well another 2020 ECF finals rematch
Re: The NBA Begins by Roland17(m): 10:18pm On May 15, 2022
LMAO… Here we go again.. How is that an offensive foul on Tatum? Hahahahaha.. We see what you guys are trying to do here… we see it! 4th foul of Tatum, he goes to the bench.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 10:37pm On May 15, 2022
Una don win jare. Save all the ref complaining for the Heat series.

Bucks have shot 4/24 from 3. Even by their standards this is abysmal undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (1928) (1929) (1930) (1931) (1932) (1933) (1934) ... (2217) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.