Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,378 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer (13570 Views)

Nairaland Has Changed My Name From Pc Guru To Pcguru1 / I Don't Need Math / Have Problem Finding My Database; A Java Guru To Assist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2011
omo_to_dun:

"If you have to ask whether you need Mathematics, then you are NOT a programmer."

[size=15pt]+1[/size]
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2011
IbroSaunks:

i just thought i should post this , after i did that google search kobojunkie said *ellipsis*

http://www.impactinterview.com/2009/10/140-google-interview-questions/

You should note that these are not the kind of questions you get in an ACTUAL google interview. You get these questions when you have PASSED the ACTUAL interview.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2011
what kinda questions do they ask fayimora?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2011
IbroSaunks:

what kinda questions do they ask fayimora?
Sorry am not at liberty to discuss that. You just have to take my word for it.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 28, 2011
musKeeto:

All4naija abi all4Mumu, wetin dey make you vex today?
Hehehe . . . I couldn't help laughing at the 'all4Mumu'. You are very funny. Just that I don't like concluding tone like yours in your previous comment that I have to quickly clarify you of your perception. I am entitled to whatever I say here - so, I am not beholden to anybody in any way.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 28, 2011
NO wahala grin grin
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2011
confirm!!thank God say fight no shele
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 28, 2011
lol, na fayimora axe we go use fight?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Dec 28, 2011
Fayimora:

You should note that these are not the kind of questions you get in an ACTUAL google interview. You get these questions when you have PASSED the ACTUAL interview.

Wrong!! Those are actual Google interview Questions.

Why would they need to ask you questions of that sort AFTER you have passed the actual interview??
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 8:58pm On Dec 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Wrong!! Those are actual Google interview Questions.

Why would they need to ask you questions of that sort AFTER you have passed the actual interview?? 

Don't say that too fast. A bit off point but I expected YOU to know that there is NEVER a wrong answer!.

All I can say is that those questions are what you get in companies like ITRS and Goldman Sachs. Not sure anyone is familiar with these companies but at least that is what I was told to expect and that is what I got.

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 9:21pm On Dec 28, 2011
Fayimora:

Don't say that too fast. A bit off point but I expected YOU to know that there is NEVER a wrong answer!.

All I can say is that those questions are what you get in companies like ITRS and Goldman Sachs. Not sure anyone is familiar with these companies but at least that is what I was told to expect and that is what I got.

i may not know the first but i think i know Goldman sachs. isn't it a financial firm?

nice font by the way
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 10:11pm On Dec 28, 2011
Fayimora:

You are told those particular questions where questions from Google's own repertoire of interview questions. To state that they are not is WRONG!!

Well, I have been interviewed at some of the firms that you are unfamiliar with, including google, Lockheed, I can confirm that questions such as those available at the link provided are asked during interviews, not AFTER you have passed the interview. I have been to interviews where I am simply given a sheet with 5 programming problems, a huge white board, and then 2 hours to attempt to solve all 5. We are not all at the same place you are.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 10:17pm On Dec 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You are told those particular questions where questions from Google's own repertoire of interview questions. To state that they are not is WRONG!!

Well, I have been interviewed at some of the firms that you are unfamiliar with, including google, Lockheed, I can confirm that questions such as those available at the link provided are asked during interviews, not AFTER you have passed the interview. I have been to interviews where I am simply given a sheet with 5 programming problems, a huge white board, and then 2 hours to attempt to solve all 5. We are not all at the same place you are.
wow!!!
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 10:57pm On Dec 28, 2011
Like I said earlier, it depends on how good of a Software Engineer one is willing to become.

Being able to right a script in PHP/ruby or any other high level programming language is not what it means to be a Software Programmer. There is so much more to it than what you find in the mainstream. Those who go to college to study these things for years are not daft idiots.

I have seen so many of the so-called self taught programmers boast of how they are as good as those who spent years in college studying these things, but in reality many of them are only just good enough for the jobs available in small fraction of the industry. The core jobs still go to those with the high-end skills.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by kaboninc(m): 6:04pm On Dec 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Like I said earlier, it depends on how good of a Software Engineer one is willing to become.

Being able to right a script in PHP/ruby or any other high level programming language is not what it means to be a Software Programmer. There is so much more to it than what you find in the mainstream. Those who go to college to study these things for years are not daft idiots.

I have seen so many of the so-called self taught programmers boast of how they are as good as those who spent years in college studying these things, but in reality many of them are only just good enough for the jobs available in small fraction of the industry. The core jobs still go to those with the high-end skills.
Please can you help me?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by logica(m): 6:40pm On Dec 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

It seems you have decided self-taught = set of all web programmers e.g PHP "gurus". If that's the case I think you are mistaken. Many of the pioneers of game graphics and computer game development techniques were self-taught (e.g John Carmack). Now a bunch of the concepts they came up with are being TAUGHT in college classes. Besides you can still be in college and self-taught in the sense that you are picking up skills not taught in class. The fact remains that the best programmers in college had already started off by themselves probably way before college. If I was to depend on what I was taught in college, I don't think I would have stretched my career this far.

Anyway, I agree with omo_to_dun's professor. I can't even believe that question is being asked.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 7:18pm On Dec 29, 2011
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 7:23pm On Dec 29, 2011
logica:

It seems you have decided self-taught = set of all web programmers e.g PHP "gurus". If that's the case I think you are mistaken. Many of the pioneers of game graphics and computer game development techniques were self-taught (e.g John Carmack). Now a bunch of the concepts they came up with are being TAUGHT in college classes. Besides you can still be in college and self-taught in the sense that you are picking up skills not taught in class. The fact remains that the best programmers in college had already started off by themselves probably way before college. If I was to depend on what I was taught in college, I don't think I would have stretched my career this far.

Anyway, I agree with omo_to_dun's professor. I can't even believe that question is being asked.
perhaps you didn't understand the question fully.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 8:44pm On Dec 29, 2011
EQUALS
logica:

It seems you have decided self-taught = set of all web programmers e.g PHP "gurus". If that's the case I think you are mistaken.

?? REALLY??

May I suggest you go brush up on your logic lessons then, because there is NO WAY anyone who has that skill down can translate what I have there in what you came up with and think it correct.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by logica(m): 8:45pm On Dec 29, 2011
IbroSaunks:

perhaps you didn't understand the question fully.
. . .or perhaps, as pointed out, you don't know what programming really is.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by logica(m): 8:47pm On Dec 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

May I suggest you go brush up on your logic lessons then, because there is NO WAY anyone who has that skill down can translate what I have there in what you came up with and think it correct.
Before I go any further to insult you, can you then tell us who you refer to as "so called self taught programmers"?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Dec 29, 2011
Feel free to insult yourself all you want but even logic exists within contexts. All I can tell you is that logically your interpretation there fails considering the original statement cannot be equivalent to the conclusion drawn by you. Unless you are able to prove otherwise, I say no point.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 8:54pm On Dec 29, 2011
logica:

. . .or perhaps, as pointed out, you don't know what programming really is.
The question wasn't if one needs math to  be a programmer. Iv done plenty math man, and i  did not fail. The question is more related to how much math!!
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by logica(m): 9:00pm On Dec 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

All I can tell you is that logically your interpretation there fails considering the original statement cannot be equivalent to the conclusion drawn by you. Unless you are able to prove otherwise, I say no point.
All I can say is the ONLY kind of self-taught programmers that you can ridicule as you did in your post are those PHP programmers, and not the ones who actually provide the syllabus which you go study over a 4 year period. If you can't get that, then I'm afraid of the kind of code you come up with.
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by logica(m): 9:03pm On Dec 29, 2011
IbroSaunks:

The question is more related to how much math!!
. . .and wouldn't the answer be, "as much math as the problem domain required"? Now when you think about how varied the problems programmers are trying to solve are, what does that tell you?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Dec 29, 2011
kaboninc:

Please can you help me?

Help with what?
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 9:09pm On Dec 29, 2011
@logica what exactly are you driving at
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 29, 2011
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by IbroSaunks(m): 9:17pm On Dec 29, 2011
@omo_to_dun
I knew the answer, was just trying to make him understand the question!
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2011
Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Fayimora(m): 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2011
C'mon guys its really not that serious!

@Kobo. . . .  I have noticed the way you bullshit others! Not to be mean but because you have a few years of experience doesn't make you invincible! You still have A LOT to learn. Just be more polite next time.

@logica, @omo_to_dun please do me the favour of not replying to the thread anymore so it dies.

@OP  Doesn't matter if it is "Do you need math" or "how much math". The truth is that you SHOULDN'T be asking such questions. IF you need a particular skill, you would know when the time comes and you should strive to acquire it. I can tell you to spend 2months perfecting your probability skills but what if you never use it?
I would advice you refrain from asking such questions and just perfect your programming skills. If you need to learn spanish along the line, you would know.

Re: Do You Need To Be A Math Guru To Be A Good Programmer by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On Dec 29, 2011
kaboninc:

Hi Kobo, you sound like someone who is well informed about computer science. Please I need your help o.

I spent the last year in the computer science/math department at the university here, working with academics, professionals, and students alike, a sort of internship is all. That has helped me gain some exposure to completely different sides of the computing world that I probably did not put into much consideration before then.

Contrary to what your average professional working in a high-rise office thinks of this world, it is vast, unlimited and growing at a fast rate. And in order to strategically position oneself in such a way that one remains relevant 10 to 20 years from today, I think it is essential that one identifies those areas that are here to stay and are core to IT and stick to building oneself in that area, making sure to stay updated in those areas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Problems Young Developers Face In Nigeria / This Is What A Recruiter Told Me About Software Developers From Nigeria / Junit: How To Set Classpath On Windows Xp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.