Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,157 members, 7,818,503 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair (16486 Views)

Poll: Would you divorce due to old infidelity after 77 years of marriage?

Yes: 17% (17 votes)
No: 82% (79 votes)
This poll has ended

99-year-old Divorces Wife After He Discovered 1940s Affair / My Affair With A Generous Aristo / 97-year-old Woman Marries 86-year-old Man, Keeps Her Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 30, 2011
99-Year-Old Italian Man to Become World's Oldest Divorcée

Meet "Antonio C," the name court documents give to a nearly century old Italian man looking to divorce his wife of 77 years. The Telegraph, reporting the story to the Anglophone world, says that Antonio and Rosa's divorce, if finalized, "appears to set a new record, at least for the age of the oldest protagonist – the previous oldest couple to divorce were Bertie and Jessie Wood, both aged 98, from the UK."

The reason for ending a 77-year-long marriage? One so long that they had five children, 12 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild? So long that for their first 36 years of marriage divorce wasn't even legal in Italy? They're getting divorced for the same reason us younger folk do: Infidelity!

Infidelity that happened back in the 1940s, that is. Just before Christmas, Antonio found old love letters addressed to the now 97-year-old Rosa in a drawer and demanded a divorce. "Guilt-stricken, she reportedly confessed everything but was unable to persuade her husband to reconsider his decision," which is The Telegraph's way of transcribing what we presume was the very passionate Italian-style fight that ensued.

http://news.yahoo.com/99-old-italian-man-become-worlds-oldest-divorc-213029818.html

-----

My brother and I were discussing this last night. Initially, I was perplexed as to why someone would divorce after children, grandchildren, a great-grandchild, and 77 years of marriage. It was an affair how many decades ago. I would think one could be angered but be willing to forgive afterwards.

After allowing it to sink in, however, I'm very happy for the man. If his wife had put the affair behind her, why did she still have the letters in her drawer? At her age, she was still able to recall details of the affair. It seems she's still hung up. I wouldn't want to be anyone's second choice. Cheers to the 99-year-old divorcée. I hope he can still find happiness and peace.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Afam4eva(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2011
Nna na wa. This white people are really bored.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by tpia5: 9:02pm On Dec 30, 2011
Senility no doubt, lord have mercy.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by slimyem: 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2011
there's no point.
I'd just forgive and live with it.
Better than dying alone.

1 Like

Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by MrCork17: 9:40pm On Dec 30, 2011
Slimyemm. sweeery with that extra large wig u wear, I would divorce u with immmmedite effect! angry
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by r231(m): 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2011
undecided undecided
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 11:00pm On Dec 30, 2011
slimyem:
there's no point.
Better than dying alone.

He could, but the secret is almost as old as the marriage. She had several chances to either come forward or hide the details, but obviously it's something to which she's been holding on and hasn't let go.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Natasha2(f): 11:07pm On Dec 30, 2011
hahahaha yeye man grin no be say if him know that time he go even divorce her oh, pheww I guess old age na curse to some people grin
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 3:22am On Dec 31, 2011
Unfortunate story.
There're many unanswered questions.

ogugua88:

I hope he can still find happiness and peace.
Yes. Tough place to be in, at that age too.
I hope he has forgiven her . . .or will, before he leaves this earth. Important above all else.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by InkedNerd(f): 3:48am On Dec 31, 2011
@OP: I heard about this story earlier on this week. support the husband's decision to divorce his wife. Most of the people I have spoken about this story only seem to care that the years they spent together was a waste. I personally don't see it that way. I never understood why outsiders of a relationship always insist on keeping people together when one or both individuals want nothing to do with each other. What is it that they'll gain from trying to force one or two people together who clearly want a permanent separation? Suppose the husband listens to what others tell him and decides to stay despite the fact that he is unhappy in the relationship, then what? Should he sacrifice his personal happiness to make everyone else happy? Also, I find it odd that people think that just because the affair happened long ago, that it is excused. It being an event of the past doesn't change the fact that this woman tainted to sanctity of their marriage.

1 Like

Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Mynd44: 4:26am On Dec 31, 2011
This is what boredom causes
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Repubocrat(m): 4:37am On Dec 31, 2011
slimyem:

there's no point.
Better than dying alone.

I am going to have to disagree.    Btw, what's up with the Ageism from some on this thread? undecided

The man is simply sticking to common principles, and I'll add that demanding a paternity test would be a fairly logical subsequent step considering the fact that she kept the secret for so long, and only confessed after she got caught. The results of the test will most likely not alter his relationship with the children, but it could justify his decision to get a divorce if the results are unfavorable.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by InkedNerd(f): 4:57am On Dec 31, 2011
Repubocrat:

I am going to have to disagree.    Btw, what's up with the Ageism from some on this thread? undecided

The man is simply sticking to common principles, and I'll add that demanding a paternity test would be a fairly logical subsequent step considering the fact the she kept the secret for so long, and only confessed after she got caught. The results of the test will most likely not alter his relationship with the children, but it could justify his decision to get a divorce if the results are unfavorable.

I agree on the paternity test as well but I don't necessarily agree that it won't alter his relationship with his children. I've seen men who have walked out on their families having found out that the child wasn't their own. My family knows of a woman who kept the paternity of her child from the father--when the child's father found out, he was heartbroken and couldn't look at both the mother and child the same way anymore. He know it wasn't the child's fault for what her mother had caused but he just couldn't bear the pain. Sadly, the truth of the child's paternity contributed to his death.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by tpia5: 5:10am On Dec 31, 2011
such jokes.

i guess users are trying to drum up more traffic for nl or is it the thread.

afi paternity test na.

slow news day really.

i'll soon log off sef.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 5:20am On Dec 31, 2011
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Repubocrat(m): 5:46am On Dec 31, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

I agree on the paternity test as well but I don't necessarily agree that it won't alter his relationship with his children. I've seen men who have walked out on their families having found out that the child wasn't their own. My family knows of a woman who kept the paternity of her child from the father--when the child's father found out, he was heartbroken and couldn't look at both the mother and child the same way anymore. He know it wasn't the child's fault for what her mother had caused but he just couldn't bear the pain. Sadly, the truth of the child's paternity contributed to his death.

Ok, I agree. That could happen, but I'm still of the opinion that he should go ahead with the test if he has any suspicion of that sort.

If I were put in a similar circumstance, I would want to know the extent to which I was deceived.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by tpia5: 6:12am On Dec 31, 2011
^^by all means, you should definitely know the extent to which you were deceived.

be sure to let your carer know s/he'll need to budget extra time to follow you around as you hunt for clues.

make sure your walking stick is strong and steady.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by tpia5: 6:16am On Dec 31, 2011
btw, isnt someone else supposed to have power of attorney?

can a 99 year old still be making decisions on their own or is something weird about the write up.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Repubocrat(m): 6:18am On Dec 31, 2011
tpia@:

^^by all means, you should definitely know the extent to which you were deceived.

be sure to let your carer know s/he'll need to budget extra time to follow you around as you hunt for clues.

make sure your walking stick is strong and steady.

I see your point and I disagree. The man has chosen to stick to his principles regardless of his age, and I admire that.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by tpia5: 6:24am On Dec 31, 2011
^^which point?

go easy on your paranoia.

if you have a point at all, then why not divorce whoever you're with right now instead of hanging around waiting for news about others.

lead by example.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Jenifa1: 6:26am On Dec 31, 2011
what a touching story.
I think he made the right move.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Repubocrat(m): 6:30am On Dec 31, 2011
tpia@:

^^which point?

go easy on your paranoia.

if you have a point at all, then why not divorce whoever you're with right now instead of hanging around waiting for news about others.

lead by example.

Ok.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Jenifa1: 6:35am On Dec 31, 2011
Repubocrat:

The man is simply sticking to common principles, and I'll add that demanding a paternity test would be a fairly logical subsequent step considering the fact that she kept the secret for so long, and only confessed after she got caught. The results of the test will most likely not alter his relationship with the children, but it could justify his decision to get a divorce if the results are unfavorable.

this makes no sense whatsoever.
the results WILL alter his relationship with his children, grandchildren and grandchild.

the man has suffered enough plz. It's already bad enough that he found the love letters. I bet he is wishing he had never opened that drawer pandora's box in the first place. why do you want him to open another can of worms.
77yrs of marriage. man. his life will never b the same again. definitely will grief till death. but i'm sure the divorce is his way of retaliation. that was pure wickedness on his wife's part.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by InkedNerd(f): 7:57am On Dec 31, 2011
Jenifa_:

this makes no sense whatsoever.
the results WILL alter his relationship with his children, grandchildren and grandchild.

the man has suffered enough plz. It's already bad enough that he found the love letters. I bet he is wishing he had never opened that drawer pandora's box in the first place. why do you want him to open another can of worms.
77yrs of marriage. man. his life will never b the same again. definitely will grief till death. but i'm sure the divorce is his way of retaliation. that was pure wickedness on his wife's part.

Not everyone is the same. You mean to tell me that if after 77 years of marriage, you find out that your husband had an extramarital affair and fathered children with his mistress you'd just be blasé about it and say "It's ok, honey. . . It was only 77 years ago. No big deal." Some people need closure when it comes to certain matters and if him having this over his head gives him no peace, then I see no reason as to why he should just forget about it because its in the past. If one of my parents did something like that to he other, my relationship with them would not be the same nor would I look at them the same way. Why should he have unrest all for the sake of making other people happy? His wife fücked up an now her bullshit is catching up to her. If she didn't want things to end as they did, she should have thought twice before she had that affair.

Repubocrat:

Ok, I agree. That could happen, but I'm still of the opinion that he should go ahead with the test if he has any suspicion of that sort.

If I were put in a similar circumstance, I would want to know the extent to which I was deceived.

I agree. I would want to know the extent of the affair as well.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 8:04am On Dec 31, 2011
The affair took place roughly a decade after their marriage. A decade of honest love, according to the information at hand, followed by 60 years of an unfaithful wife. He has every right to leave. If she had an epiphany and decided she was going to be 100% committed to her husband, she would have tossed those letters. Imagine having a spouse who reads love letters from another man or mistress behind your back, years after they were written. That's enough to make someone feel worthless. If the third stringer is still alive, then she should go find him.

As for the children? I wouldn't bother with a paternity test if it was me. Blood doesn't make family. If a test turns out they're not his, he probably wouldn't love them any less as they're innocent in all of this.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by freecocoa(f): 8:16am On Dec 31, 2011
Hmmm,this kind story,99 years old man still dey see and even fit read sote get sense to reason divorce,make dem check that man age well first.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by InkedNerd(f): 8:17am On Dec 31, 2011
ogugua88:

The affair took place roughly a decade after their marriage. A decade of honest love, according to the information at hand, followed by 60 years of an unfaithful wife. He has every right to leave. If she had an epiphany and decided she was going to be 100% committed to her husband, she would have tossed those letters. Imagine having a spouse who reads love letters from another man or mistress behind your back, years after they were written. That's enough to make someone feel worthless. If the third stringer is still alive, then she should go find him.

As for the children? I wouldn't bother with a paternity test if it was me. Blood doesn't make family. If a test turns out they're not his, he probably wouldn't love them any less as they're innocent in all of this.

I feel sad for the kids even though they're grown.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Chiori(m): 9:21am On Dec 31, 2011
I don't know what I would do in the circumstance. The man is hurt, and nothing is certain anymore about the 'family' he struggled to build for his lifetime. What betrayal!
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 9:23am On Dec 31, 2011
The man was just trying to treat the wifes fukup, no big deal
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by Nobody: 9:26am On Dec 31, 2011
There is a fulani saying that its in your old age that your wife will reveal the truth about the real paternity of your kids.
This guy was really hurt and if he knew back then of his wife's infidelity he probably would have walked out on her. Isn't better he spends the rest of his life knowing than finding out in the hereafter of his wife's cheating or were her heart really was all these years.
Being old doesn't degrade your humanity it  makes you more patient and tolerant, but somethings can never be swept away.
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by eghost247(m): 9:31am On Dec 31, 2011
Sighs longthing
Re: 99-year-old Man Divorcing 97 year-old Wife Due To 1940s Affair by denony(m): 9:44am On Dec 31, 2011
Arant Ransens

grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Get A Partner That Offer You Values, It Is Not About Money"- Facebook User / Great Love Is Best Not Rushed / Photo: Man Fingers Lady In Broad Daylight While Trying To Ask Her Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.