Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,037 members, 7,956,844 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:29 PM

Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. (21940 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / APC Wins All The Rerun Elections In Kaduna,Niger, Nassarawa And Plateau States / Gov.Mimiko Leads In 12 LGAs In Gubernatorial Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by ifyalways(f): 7:57pm On Dec 31, 2011
Auwal,you seem to know 'more' about BH.

@Topic,Not yet uhuru.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Lestyman: 8:02pm On Dec 31, 2011
I think what GEJ did is a good move but it would av been better if it affect d whole concerned states. God bless Nigeria.

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by TomFord: 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2011
If the declaration of a state of emergency is evoked,the Parliament has to ratify it right?
If that's the case,someone mentioned the Parliament is on recess.

My question then is the time gap that exists before the Parliament reconvenes,isn't that enough headstart for the sect to re-organize their strategies(move out en masse)or are soldiers to be deployed right away?

Can any knowledgeable fellow please respond,thanks
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Dec 31, 2011
Why cant we have this with people patroling it

What is about to befall nigeria is no joke

We need to stop influx of people from Niger and Chad
Before Boko Haram, we had Almajiri kids coming into Nigeria from these areas just because folks want to influence Census results, National allocation, election outcome or claim to be in the majority. This is the fact.

It is important for the future of Nigeria to have this kind of boarder control. This is destroying Nigeria. It is not just about boko haram

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by xterra2(m): 8:09pm On Dec 31, 2011
Lestyman:

I think what GEJ did is a good move but it would av been better if it affect d whole concerned states. God bless Nigeria.
why did you post your picture ??
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Orikinla(m): 8:12pm On Dec 31, 2011
About time.

Now I know that we have a Commander -in- Chief.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by VoodooDoll(m): 8:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
@Tom Ford

I don't think the Military would wait for National Assembly before moving into the area.

The executive arm as CIC may have the power to send the military in and to close the borders before NA ratifies the decision.

The NA would be required though to suspend the state governors powers in those LGAs and to suspend the powers of the LGA chairmen. Does this mean Sharia is suspended in those affected areas?
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by 2mch(m): 8:14pm On Dec 31, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

We thank God for GEJ. His beauty pageant is over. I dont know if he thought ruling a chaotic country like Nigeria is beans. And he will rule without any blood on his hands. Anyway, lets see what action he will take. This administration has been known to blow big grammar with no substance, thought or action. grin. First stop let us trap that alj harem in a net on this NL. That guy is a big snake and part of the problem. He has not commented here, I hope his village is surrounded. tongue
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by otokx(m): 8:15pm On Dec 31, 2011
oh well
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 8:17pm On Dec 31, 2011
VoodooDoll:

@Tom Ford

I don't think the Military would wait for National Assembly before moving into the area.

The executive arm as CIC may have the power to send the military in and to close the borders before NA ratifies the decision.

The NA would be required though to suspend the state governors powers in those LGAs and to suspend the powers of the LGA chairmen. Does this mean Sharia is suspended in those affected areas?

Yes, it does. I had wanted to say so earlier, but didn't think it was appropriate.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by cold(m): 8:18pm On Dec 31, 2011
I honestly want this president to succeed against all odds but lately i've been completely disillusioned by Mr President's lethargic approach to issues.Suddenly it seems like the president is starting to make the right noises & all the right moves.Those of you who continued to cheer the President's slow & snail speed approach to issues & describing it as methodical should  be ashamed of yourselves.How many more  people would have to die before the appropriate steps are taken?
The gloves need to come off,if it's war they want,it's war they'll get.Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition has always been my mantra.It should be Mr President's too
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by demoise: 8:21pm On Dec 31, 2011
what has he done and stop being a surface minded person hes declaring state of emergency in LGAs thats just another foul move by the hatted fool we all know how terrorist group operates they do in cells and if u block off areas where they have previously attacked other cells take this off and now i see other LGAs in some state being exposed. This is a suicide attack and u are using face to face combat these group of people are ready to die and take as many casualty with em and we all know how stupid the police ll be at check point causing a heck of traffic with too many cars which can be a place for a suicide bomber to detonate. Let that hatted fool called ebele go after the sponsors of boko haram and stop fooling himself and end this crisis we know state of emergency aint gonna stop this act it ll just encourage it to spread
this is where the intelligence unit of our country should come to play but no I WEEP FOR OUR DEAR COUNTRY
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by chino11(m): 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2011
xterra2:

why did you post your picture ??

He just came on NL. Freshers grin
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 31, 2011
it appears everyone here is a security expert
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by demoise: 8:29pm On Dec 31, 2011
@ careytomi u dont have to be an expert here but wat can we do wen the pple the experts refuse to do dere work my brother i tire o
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 31, 2011
demoise:

what has he done and stop being a surface minded person hes declaring state of emergency in LGAs thats just another foul move by the hatted fool we all know how terrorist group operates they do in cells and if u block off areas where they have previously attacked other cells take this off and now i see other LGAs in some state being exposed. This is a suicide attack and u are using face to face combat these group of people are ready to die and take as many casualty with em and we all know how silly the police ll be at check point causing a heck of traffic with too many cars which can be a place for a suicide bomber to detonate. Let that hatted fool called ebele go after the sponsors of boko haram and stop fooling himself and end this crisis we know state of emergency aint gonna stop this act it ll just encourage it to spread
this is where the intelligence unit of our country should come to play but no I WEEP FOR OUR DEAR COUNTRY
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

you are very sensible, you dont need state of emergency to deal with this faceless group. Go after their sponsors first, then later go after the errand boys themselves.
This is the same plan US employed against terrorists, go after the financial backers, then later the terrorists.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2011
Baby steps but in right direction.  wink
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by roots: 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2011
I can bet with anyone on nairaland that state of will not the problem of insecurity. My reason is this and you can also make your findings. The Governor of Plateau State was stripped off the power of security and it was handed over to Chief of defence staff about two months ago. This means tht State of emegency on security was declared in the state indirectly by GEJ. Since then, killing n bombing have not stop. Now GEJ is declaring another state of in some local govn which means they wil hav two Chiefs of defence staff, funny!
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by nex(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2011
This is amazing. First President in the world to impose a Local Government Of Emergency. Please, you people should stop calling it a State Of Emergency. This is ridiculous!

Now the question is, does this man even know the meaning of this Local Government Of Emergency he has imposed? Where are the borders that within which the declaration will be upheld? And since Mr. President knows that he has done all in his power to combat Boko Haram and has failed, what new thing is he now going to do? Or does he think that "State Of Emergency" is a magic spell that once spoken against a particular area, things will automatically start getting better?! I laugh!
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2011
enitan2002:

you are very sensible, you dont need state of emergency to deal with this faceless group. Go after their sponsors first, then later go after the errand boys themselves.
This is the same plan US employed against terrorists, go after the financial backers, then later the terrorists.

The invasion of Afghanistan and drone attacks in nuclear powered Pakistan are several notches above a comparatively mild state of emergency. By the way, where should the US have declared a state of emergency? Washington DC?

careytommy:

it appears everyone here is a security expert

Exactly! Lol!
Or some are just seeking attention.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by auwal87(m): 8:45pm On Dec 31, 2011
A state of emergency is a governmental declaration that may suspend some normal functions of the executive, legislative and judicial powers, alert citizens to change their normal behaviours, or order government agencies to implement emergency preparedness plans. It can also be used as a rationale for suspending rights and freedoms, even if guaranteed under the constitution. Such declarations usually come during a time of natural or man made disaster, during periods of civil unrest, or following a declaration of war or situation of international or internal armed conflict. Justitium is its equivalent in Roman law.

In some countries, the state of emergency and its effects on human rights and freedoms and governmental procedure are regulated by the constitution and/or a law that limits the powers that may be invoked. Rights and freedoms may be suspended during an emergency, for instance, freedom of movement, but not non-derogable rights.[1] In many countries it is illegal to modify the emergency law or the constitution during the emergency.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 8:56pm On Dec 31, 2011
^
The above is precisely what i tried to explain to you earlier:

Beaf: Lol! You do not understand that the law has been suspended and democracy snatched away in the areas affected. Its now an "anything-goes, hit 'em phuckers with nukes" style battle.
Whole communities will be uprooted, dislocated and strong armed in ways that will make Lucifer bawl out. Its not gonna be a tea party and I truly feel for those unfortunate people. They will be so pressured, traumatised, fried, put under the grinder to the extent that even if they were not hiding boko haram members they would volunteer to go out and search for them.

I don't think you fully understand the storm thats cooking.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by dmainboss: 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2011
2mch:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

We thank God for GEJ. His beauty pageant is over. I dont know if he thought ruling a chaotic country like Nigeria is beans. And he will rule without any blood on his hands. Anyway, lets see what action he will take. This administration has been known to blow big grammar with no substance, thought or action. grin. First stop let us trap that alj harem in a net on this NL. That guy is a big snake and part of the problem. He has not commented here, I hope his village is surrounded. tongue

In the midst of all these ignorant posts, you find some sensible few. The bolded explains GEJ's attitude so far. Whether he is right to act like that, i cannot say and would not defend it, but he would have prefered to solved things with dialog. You can also call it a naive stance and you might be right. But it is certainly not weakness. But he has begun to realise that is impossible in the Nigerian situation. Things are a lot more complex than what most of you post here. These guys work with security reports and know things you and I dont know. Most of you just talk like ruling a country is 1+1=2. There are very deep things you hear and see when you are in government. You cannot even mention them. So you only shake your head when you hear people making all kinds of comment.

Like someone said, everyone has become a security expert. In Nigeria, everyone is a coach. But only the coach sees the team training and only with such knowledge can you make good judgements. Some of you talking here, if they tell you only 1 or 2 secrets about Nigeria, you will faint. That is why you wont see military men, especially those above lieutement positions talking anyhow.

GEJ cannot just declare state of emergency anyhow. Declaring a state of emergency is a serious business. It has been the begining of many wars and coups. It is not childs play.

Talking about Boko Aram moving to other states. It doesnt work like that. A terrorist cell cannot just change base. It is not that simple. They have taking time to build trust in the communities where they live. They need to appear normal wherever they live. That is why is is not easy to move down south. By this state of emergency coupled with the closure of the borders, they will be somewhat incapacitated. But again, some of their structures already on the ground might still function but their capacity to grow will be greatly hampered.

Another misconception here is that BH can just spread their wings all over the country. It is not tht simple. What you are witnessing is a development that has span ten years or more. The warnings started going out that Al Qaeda was building a base in Nigeria since 2001, after sept 11. Succesive governments didnt take it serious. The truth is that this is not the regular BH that were wearing blue berets, This is Al Qaeda with a jihad mission but placating as BH.

The real people that can really stop this madness are the northen leaders. But they dont want to because they are more interested in politics. But it will soon bite them on their behind
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by luluosas(m): 9:06pm On Dec 31, 2011
The entire States affected would have been better.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by juman(m): 9:12pm On Dec 31, 2011
enitan2002:

The same state of emergency that was declared at Jos some years ago that produced nada?

Hmmmmm.

nigeria is a destroyed country. We are in difficult situation.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by cold(m): 9:14pm On Dec 31, 2011
juman:

Hmmmmm.

nigeria is a destroyed great country. But we are in difficult situation.
Fixed it for you
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by demoise: 9:16pm On Dec 31, 2011
The hatted fool once told Nigerians to live with the burden on suicide bombers  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Now state of emergency in selected LGAs  cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
I believe he should consult with people even if its to get expatriate he should and get advise from the necessary ends
and people caught should be really prosecuted there was a boko haram guy n sponsor caught and the sponsor was released and the guy was given 3yrs are u kidding me seriously he should be a tool to get in this people and there should intelligence unit infiltrating there cells and strict border rules with the muslim countries
But that Hatted FOOL called GEJ in his stupidity wont do that he ll only come to promote cassava bread as if its new and the old fools called senator are there legislating on gay matter  [b]I BET MOST PEOPLE LL PREFER TO VISIT A GAY FRIEND THAN A BOKO HARAM FRIEND  grin
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by auwal87(m): 9:17pm On Dec 31, 2011
@ beaf

I understand, the issue is, how will it affect their operation?

It is the same nigerian military
It is the same nigerian police
It is the same nigerian sss

The picture below explains everything, not only police but even the military

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by saintohia: 9:19pm On Dec 31, 2011
The entire state would've been better. They can easily relocate to other LGs in those states. Please make it the entire state, if they relocate to a neighbouring state, you extend it to that state.

Nice move GEJ, nothing much though.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by ACM10: 9:35pm On Dec 31, 2011
We'll keep our fingers crossed lipsrsealed
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by TomFord: 9:37pm On Dec 31, 2011
VoodooDoll:

@Tom Ford

I appreciate your response.To your question,i believe a declaration of a state of emergency renders the state law temporarily ineffective.
Thanks again
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 9:39pm On Dec 31, 2011
Nigerians have waited for this for too long! I hope it works out just the way it is planned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Subsidy Probe: Otedola Confirms Bribe To Lawmakers / PDP Members Who Sabotaged Jonathan’s Ambition Will Be Exposed / Buhari Relocates 184 Officials Over Budget Padding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.