Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:21 PM

Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. (21822 Views)

Fayose Dares Buhari On State Of Emergency In Ekiti, Rivers, Says It Won't Work / APC Wins All The Rerun Elections In Kaduna,Niger, Nassarawa And Plateau States / Gov.Mimiko Leads In 12 LGAs In Gubernatorial Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Pharoh: 5:11pm On Dec 31, 2011
The Nigerian presidency has just issued a proclamation declaring a state of emergency in certain parts on Nigerian as follows:

Fellow Nigerians, it has become necessary to address you on recent events in some parts of the country that have threatened our collective security and shaken the foundations of our corporate existence as a nation.

2.    You are all aware of the security challenges which the activities of the Boko Haram sect have foisted on the country. What began as sectarian crises in the North Eastern parts of the country has gradually evolved into terrorist activities in different parts of the country with attendant negative consequences on our national security.

3.      Government in an effort to find a lasting solution to the security threats occasioned by the activities of the Boko Haram sect, constituted a Presidential Committee under the Chairmanship of Ambassador Usman Gaji Galtimari, to ascertain the immediate and remote causes of the crises. While efforts are being made to implement the recommendations of the Committee, the crises have assumed a terrorist dimension with vital institutions of government including the United Nations Building and places of worship becoming targets of terrorist attacks.

4.   While the search for lasting solutions is ongoing, it has become imperative to take some decisive measures necessary to restore normalcy in the country especially within the affected communities. Consequently, I have in the exercise of the powers conferred on me by the provisions of section 305(1) of the Constitution, declared a state of emergency in the following parts of the federation, namely:

(i)  Borno State

a)  Maidugiri Metropolitan LGA

b)  Gamboru Ngala LGA

c)   Banki Bama LGA

d)  Biu LGA

e)   Jere LGA

(ii)  Yobe State

a)  Damaturu LGA

b)  Geidam LGA

c)   Potiskum LGA

d)  Buniyadi-Gujba LGA

e)   Gasua-Bade LGA

(iii) Plateau State

a)  Jos North LGA

b)  Jos South LGA

c)   Barkin-Ladi LGA

d)  Riyom LGA

(iv) Niger State

a)  Suleja LGA

The details of this proclamation will be transmitted to the National Assembly as soon as they reconvene from their current recess, for their necessary action.

5.    The Chief of Defence Staff and the Inspector-General of Police have been directed to put appropriate measures in place to ensure the protection of lives and properties of residents in the affected parts of the country. I therefore urge the political leadership in the affected states and Local Government Areas to give maximum cooperation to the law enforcement agencies deployed to their respective communities to ensure that the situation is brought under control within the shortest possible time.

6.   The Chief of Defence Staff, in collaboration with other Service Chiefs, has also been directed to set up a special force unit within the Armed Forces, with dedicated counter terrorism responsibilities.

7.   As part of the overall strategy to overcome the current security challenges, I have directed the closure of the land borders contiguous to the affected Local Government Areas so as to control incidences of cross boarder terrorist activities as terrorists have taken advantage of the present situation to strike at targets in Nigeria and retreat beyond the reach of our law enforcement personnel.

8.  Let me assure our neighbours, especially within the ECOWAS sub-region, of Nigeria’s commitment to its international obligations as provided by the ECOWAS Protocol on Free Movement of Persons. The temporary closure of our borders in the affected areas is only an interim measure designed to address the current security challenges and will be reviewed as soon as normalcy is restored.

9.   I commend the efforts of our political leaders at various levels as well as our traditional and religious leaders for their support for the various conflict resolution mechanisms and peace building measures that have been initiated by this administration. We call on the citizenry to continue to provide useful information to our law enforcement agencies to enable us arrest the situation.

10. Terrorism is a war against all of us. I call on all Nigerians to join hands with government to fight these terrorists.

11. I wish all Nigerians a very happy New Year.

12.   Long Live the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/nigeria-president-jonathan-declares-state-emergency-parts-nigeria
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by gangar(m): 5:12pm On Dec 31, 2011
Founded by Late Muhd Yusuf in the year 2002. He started preaching in 1996 in M/guri like an ordinary Muslim scholar but later introduced some creeds that distinguished him from the rest of the Muslim scholars and that was the beginning of the conflict between him & all the Muslim preachers in M/guri. He generated large followership not because of convincing evidences in the QUR’AN & SUNNA but, he actually has a very good human relation and very clever that he doesn’t forget people’s names easily and above all he criticize the govt more than all other preachers & naturally, what do you expect in a situation whereby the govt does not provide the dividend of democracy to the people.
However the population of Borno state is almost three million (3000, 000.000) and the members of the Boko Haram sect in Borno are not up to twenty thousand (20,000.00). Furthermore, in the year 2009 prior to the war he lost about 60% of his followers due to some disagreements concerning the legality of fighting the govt. bcoz some considerd it as leading the muslim UMMAH to FITNAH (sorrow).
Moreover, after the 2009 war, most of them including their leader Yusuf were killed and some fled out of the town.
However, the following are their unique features:
1- That Democracy is KUFR (infidelity) that the SHARI’AH implemented under democratic system of government is null & void and declared all politicians KAAFIR (infidels). In real sense they do not have a politician friend.
2- That the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria is not to be accepted by all Muslims. Insisted that the Holy QUR’AN is the only constitution acceptable for a Muslim, in this way they declared all legislators & legislative workers KAAFIR (infidels). It is so ironical & deceitful the claim that a politician & a legislator is their financier.
3- That western education (BOKO) is HARAM (prohibited) because it teaches evolution, it teaches Marxism, Leninism, and many other aspects of western education that are in conflict with ISLAMIC teachings and declared all students of western education as KAAFIR (infidel). As a result I can recall in 2002 a large number of very useful boys & girls quit schooling.
4- That working under govt. as solder, police, custom, immigration, civil defense is TAAGUT (idolatry), and declared all people in these service as number one enemies and that killing them is JIHAD (exerting effort towards the upliftment of ISLAM).
5- That civil service too is HARAM (prohibited) because the source of the money generated to pay your salary is not purely HALAL it include bank transactions, VAT from breweries etc. as a result I can recall that in the year 2002, many of their followers quit civil service and join farming, sells of tea, date fruit, scent etc.
6- That we have no excuse remaining under KUFR (democratic) system, that w must come out and declare JIHAD, overthrow the govt, and establish an Islamic state.
7- None of them believe in National ID card, Voter’s card or driving license. That’s why they encounter lots of trouble with highway patrol teams.
Above is briefly what distinguished the BOKO HARAM sect from the rest of the Muslim community.
Great Islamic scholars both within and outside Nigeria explained vividly the invalidity of all their claims with QUR’ANIC verses and HADITH of the prophet but they rebuffed in pride. Our most reputable scholar Sheikh Ja’far Mahmud Adam (RAHIMAHULLAH) of blessed memory lost his life in the process, however many of his students in M/guri who openly criticize the BOKO HARAM sect, were assassinated.
Now the bond of contention is that the security and all other Christians feel as if every Muslim in the north is Boko Haram. pls do justice to us…
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by rexdmx(m): 5:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
It just became breaking news on BBC right now!
A new anti-terrorist force to be set up
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by OmoPastor(m): 5:14pm On Dec 31, 2011
Posted by: Pharoh
It could possibly be  a warning that if any state governor does not sit up tight concerning security issues then his state can be taken over by the federal Government.

Thats it! Gbam!!!
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Dec 31, 2011
Good move!

There has been emergency in those LGAs already but still it will confer enormous powers officially and legally , a power of immunity of some sort, on soldiers to at least deal with the Boko Haramists. But a more effective one would have been declaration of emergency throughout the affected states.
The counter terrorism unit should be made permanent.

But I hope state of emergency will not be declared in the whole North at a point in time! Let's see how it goes.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by juman(m): 5:24pm On Dec 31, 2011
Hmmm very complicated country
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by kokoA(m): 5:24pm On Dec 31, 2011
The first good move by GEJ. But why not kick out governors of thoes states?
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Demdem(m): 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2011
OK_2_NV:

this isn't a conventional war or a civil war, this is a war on terrorists and criminals. not everyone in those affected states are terrorists. because these are flash points.let me get this straight, the president of your country is a slowpoke, what does that make you?

U are a big eediot. Confirmed maga. Who are u to tell me what to call him. Abegii dont spoil my mood on this day the retardeen seems to get something right since the beginning of his presidency.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Akwasi(m): 5:29pm On Dec 31, 2011
Good move from gej
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by juman(m): 5:31pm On Dec 31, 2011
Hope it will bring good outcome
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by juman(m): 5:34pm On Dec 31, 2011
talk true:

It could have been better if the state of emergency is declared in the whole state of Borno because they will now relocate to another LG

The governor is from opposing party.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by LEXYLOV: 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2011
I heard that Mr Fisherman just woke up this morning from a lengthy sleeping vacation, he was brief of the situation in the country and he shout ""whaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttt""lets go and see the catholic church now and state of emergency should be declare in some part of north which has already in place before he woke up. Please sir halt the sleeping vacation and watch for your sheep before wolfs finished them up  angry
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 31, 2011
This is the right step:

Declare State of Emergency in Borno and Bauchi State.

Both Governors SHOULD lose their jobs and never to rule those states anymore.  Retrieve all Security Votes (funds)  the Feds has paid them for the past 1 yr.

Other governors will sit up.

Elect military Administrators to take over those states indefinately and till further notice and I personally suggest till Jonathan finishes his tenure.

Close all international borders  and deploy military to mount road blocks in every 2 kilometer stretch with tanks within the states.

Submit a bill protecting informants in the country and law abiding citizens will offer security information to the paramilitary.

Infiltrate the BH sects with spies.

Make life hard for every one in that State and they will fight against BH internally.

Jonathan, being a president isnt a job that you receive ovation while in office, you will get it after office. And one more thing, do not be afraid that the National Assembly will impeach you. They would not, and if they do, you have nothing to lose.

We have just the shot at the Presidency since Indepedence and you should not be distracted by the Hausa cabals.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 31, 2011
about bloody time if you ask me
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 5:45pm On Dec 31, 2011
Demdem:

U are a big eediot. Confirmed maga. Who are u to tell me what to call him. Abegii dont spoil my mood on this day the retardeen seems to get something right since the beginning of his presidency.

Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 5:46pm On Dec 31, 2011
juman:

The governor is from opposing party.

so bloody what? It does not make any difference. Anything to safe lives of masses and innocent citizens being killed on daily basis is supposed to be above ambition or political career of individual irrespective of party affiliation.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by francisj(m): 5:49pm On Dec 31, 2011
good news
up GEJ for 2015 .
6 lga in brono.
6 lga in yobe.
5 lga in plateau.
1 lga in niger.
up GEJ for 2015 ,
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Demdem(m): 5:51pm On Dec 31, 2011
OK_2_NV:

Am mobile. Paste the one with a mobile phone if u like. Abegii stop derailing this thread.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by OmoTier1(m): 5:52pm On Dec 31, 2011
I guess now GEJ realizes that He was fast loosng grip of the rulership of Nigeria. This one has been long coming. Next is the dismissal of ALL service chiefs, sending home of all SSS directors in the North East, dismissal of the IGP, and a complete dissolution of the EFCC and the ICPC through a Parliamentary ACT.

I know we can and we will defeat any terrorist group that raises her ugly head in the land, if only the President can take the lead and ignore partisan politics!

When you are a President, you PUT YOUR PEOPLE FIRST and not PARTY !
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Rich4god(m): 5:57pm On Dec 31, 2011
Plz, kan you guys explain to me how STATE OF EMERGENCY works. Am not all that cleared.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 31, 2011
Omo_Tier1

Nice piece
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Dec 31, 2011
Rich4god:

Plz, kan you guys explain to me how STATE OF EMERGENCY works. Am not all that cleared.

Nothing much. In all essential points, it relegates law to the background and allow what is NECESSARY , which may not be LEGAL,  to be done to salvage a situation. For instance, the service chiefs may dismiss the orders of Governor  in the affected LGAs.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 31, 2011
They also need to deploy soldiers to man our borders between Nigeria and Niger/Chad

Soldiers not sympathetic to Boko Haram should be used for this task. Northern Christain and Western Muslim Soldiers should be deployed in those boarders.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Ejine(m): 6:09pm On Dec 31, 2011
Much as I doubt this would instantaneously tackle the issue to the fullest, I still think it is a good start which, if handled which utmost professionalism, would bring about a lot of changes that would ultimately prep the fists for the ultimate blow against Boko Haram.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 6:11pm On Dec 31, 2011
talk true:

It could have been better if the state of emergency is declared in the whole state of Borno because they will now relocate to another LG

If he had done it to the whole of Borno state, maybe some would have argued that he should have done the same to Bauchi and Yobe, cos boko haram can move to those places.
If he had done it to Borno, Bauchi and Yobe, some would have argued that he should have done it to the entire North East, cos boko haram can move to Jigawa etc.

It is a circular argument for those of us that can't be pleased.
Lets see it as a start, and if its not adequate, then we demand more.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 31, 2011
The new counter-terrorism unit should go and learn tricks of the trade from MI5 and CIA

The head of this unit must be a man who has genuine passion to defeat terror.

I always had faith in General Andrew Owoye Azazi as NSA. Called for his appointment long before he even got a looking at. It is time for Gen Azazzi to prove his worth. You have the levers of power, ignore what Gusau and co have to say. They are part of the probleem. Go get some international help. Talk to Mossad if possible.

Train boys you can trust with your mother's life and run a closed circuit unit of insiders you can trust. Security affairs is not one for quota system or federal character!!!!

It is clear there is now treachery and sabbotage everywhere.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Beaf: 6:15pm On Dec 31, 2011
In addition to my earlier post, the declaration of a state of emergency in entire states is a limited action that requires the input of the National Assembly. Thats time that we don't have.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by kokoA(m): 6:16pm On Dec 31, 2011
mikeansy:

The new counter-terrorism unit should go and learn tricks of the trade from MI5 and CIA

The head of this unit must be a man who has genuine passion to defeat terror.

But I thougt we had a counter-terrorism squad before All thoes mean looking guys with red berrete i see around Abuja, Why are the forming a new squad? grin
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 31, 2011
Demdem:

Am mobile. Paste the one with a mobile phone if u like. Abegii stop derailing this thread.
you are really jus a troll, abi?
go and get attention from ur mama
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Arosa(m): 6:20pm On Dec 31, 2011
Nice move GEJ, show those fools who is in charge. haven said that, it would have been better to extend it to the whole of Borno state. angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by olapluto(m): 6:23pm On Dec 31, 2011
Finally, the man from the creeks smells the coffee. Or maybe the innocent dead people are now tormenting his sleep. With state of emergency in place, I think he should remove the hand-brake and let the soldiers clear out those LGs.
Meanwhile, expect retaliatory attacks in coming days. BH tactics are well known by now. They will make their own statements too and they usually make it with blood of innocent people.
Re: Breaking News: GEJ Declares State of Emergency in selected LGAs in Borno, Yobe, Niger and Plateau. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Dec 31, 2011
@Beaf

Let GEJ introduce a bill to the National Assembly seeking approval for Declaration of State of Emergency in the Terrorist States, I want to see who opposes it, then we will know who our enemies are !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

It’s Not Fair To Fulani If Herdsmen Are Declared Terrorists – Miyetti Allah / Appeal Court Affirms Fayemi’s Election, Dismisses Eleka, Pdp’s Appeal / APC Govs Begging Jonathan, Promising Him Automatic Ticket - PDP Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.