Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,697 members, 7,809,637 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria (19245 Views)

The 2013 BMW M3 Coupe / 2013 Audi S5 Or 2013 BMW M3? / A Nigerian Man Was Stabbed And Stuffed In The Trunk Of His For Sale Bmw M3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 6:17pm On Jan 02, 2012
Siena, my Australian colleague who went through this thread this afternoon with great interest said none of the cars mentioned could match a HSV W427 in beauty, Handling and performance,  I couldn't argue because I have only seen the Vauxhall VXR8 (which looks very similar but had to be modified to meet some of the UK regulations) and its not as powerful as the Holden according to my colleague.

Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 02, 2012
baby-boy:

Siena, my Australian colleague who went through this thread this afternoon with great interest said none of the cars mentioned could match a HSV W427 in beauty, Handling and performance,  I couldn't argue because I have only seen the Vauxhall VXR8 (which looks very similar but had to be modified to meet some of the UK regulations)

Bro, beauty in an automobile is subjective. I personally don't like the Holden, and regardless of performance, Holden / Vauxhall / Opel / GM can't match the build quality offered by their German rivals. Adam Opel AG is not wholly German, it's a subsidiary of General Motors, and the German marques have nothing to fear from GM.

The three contenders tend to be Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Even the Nissan Skyline GTR R35, which is a formidable weapon in itself never gets mentioned as a competitor.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 02, 2012
@sweet_gala, I would take the R35 skyline GTR over that vauxhall VXR8, that GTR has put so many performance cars to shame. @ baby_boy: the VXR8 is a highly capable rwd performance car, its platform is also being used by the chevy camaro. Its just a lil heavy,
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 02, 2012
platinumricky:

I really love this thread, its very entertaining. I would like to correct one impression, its very unfair to compare the Bangle Era BMW M5 with  the W124 E500 performance wise. Both cars are from different eras. @siena: are you keen on the previous Audi S8 because of the Lamborghini V10 in it?

Check out this S8, THE SOUND AND ACCELERATION IS JUST BRUTAL!  I prefer Audi S8  because its a combination of top-notch luxury with performance.  And when it comes to luxury performance cars, no come close to AUDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcxHb0EdBP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfXq5uXzAM
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 02, 2012
Kushite:

I still don't get why any one would go for M3 or M5 when all you need to do is go for Porsche 911 Carrera.

Porsche Carrera 911 is a known performance car in the performance  house and very reliable. I say reliable because 90% of people who have been privileged to own one of these say it is very reliable. Now, if I really have to go with Porsche 911 it would have be the  Porsche 911 Twin Turbo trim! Absolutely gorgeous and brutal, just like the idea of quad exhaust on the rear of any high performance car! And this is one car that retains 80% of its resale value after 10 or 20 years later!

911 TURBO REVIEW BY CLARKSON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJemsVMhEhs
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jan 02, 2012
@​ danka: so U̶̲̥̅̊ are another audi fanboy? Interesting. The audi S8 is competent allround (i particularly like its AWD system), its just that It looks lyk a Stretched S4 on steroids. Audi's design language is getting boring by the day, they all seem to look alike @ siena: i think U̶̲̥̅̊ Я being biased against the GTR, that car is a rocket (considering the fact it's a V6). Am sure U̶̲̥̅̊ would have seen things differently if that car wore an audi badge.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 7:12pm On Jan 02, 2012
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 02, 2012
Has any one seen one of these in Nigeria? I am a sucker for this car, drop down gorgeous!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TktKkmLZAPM

Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 02, 2012
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 02, 2012
As a matter of fact, i hv seen one in abuja. We have serious performance brutes over here, SRT8 chrysler 300s are also here as well. Abuja has a lot of performance cars, I have seen jag. XKRs, jag. XFRs, E63 AMGs, C63 AMGs, ML63s and a Bmw M6, Naija no dey carry last.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 02, 2012
platinumricky:

As a matter of fact, i hv seen one in abuja. We have serious performance brutes over here,  SRT8 chrysler 300s are also here as well. Abuja has a lot of performance cars, I have seen  jag. XKRs, jag. XFRs, E63 AMGs, C63 AMGs, ML63s and a Bmw M6, Naija no dey carry last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crvw6PNj1ys

U me nam! I no believe say Jeep SRT8 done reach Abuja.  I really one bring the SRT8 come home this summer.  Nah wish side of Abuja you dey. I dey Maitama side.

Not a big fan of Chrysler 300 (SRT8) and Jaguars, just loathe these cars with innate passion!lol

Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 8:10pm On Jan 02, 2012
Now thats a monster!!!!
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 02, 2012
@​ danka : my main issue with this generation of the GC is the materials used for the interior. Have U̶̲̥̅̊ seen the new model? i stay @​ gwarinpa estate, But am currently in kaduna now. Я U̶̲̥̅̊ on bbm?
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jan 02, 2012
platinumricky:

@​ danka: so U̶̲̥̅̊ are another audi fanboy? Interesting. The audi S8 is competent allround (i particularly like its AWD system), its just that It looks lyk a Stretched S4 on steroids. Audi's design language is getting boring by the day, they all seem to look alike @ siena: i think U̶̲̥̅̊ Я being biased against the GTR, that car is a rocket (considering the fact it's a V6). Am sure U̶̲̥̅̊ would have seen things differently if that car wore an audi badge.

But as it doesn't wear an Audi badge, you'll never know, and you'll merely keep on speculating. It's not a question of bias, it's about personal choice. I've worked in the performance car sector, and still do. I said the Nissan Skyline's GTR's a great car in any guise, from the R32 - R35. But it will appeal to those that want a Grand Tourer kind of car. It's not a mature man's favourite, being mostly Coupe only. And it's not really a tractable car, at least in R33/R34 platform, in the GTR-V Spec. I've driven both, and they're not easy to drive at slow speeds, very snatchy and jerky, it wants to be driven hard, which isn't always practical.

The lesser-powered versions, with single turbo (250 bhp) and RWD were not as quick, but easier to drive in traffic. Besides the Nissan Skyline, Nissan doesn't really make high-performance family sedan or full-size cars that thrill. The Nissan Maxima, Toyota Avalon are luxury offerings from Japan, and whilst they're competent enough in what they do, they're no match for Audi, BMW or Mercedes-Benz, who have high-performance versions of practically every model they build, from the small cars, mid-size, large family sedan to the full-size luxury models, which are not just pure luxury, they're bloody quick too. The Coupe's aren't left out either.

Untill Nissan and Until begin building high-performance cars not just in Coupe format, they'll always trail the three Germans. Why would I purchase a Nissan Skyline GTR, when I can purchase a full-size high-performance German Sedan or Wagon, that could match the Nissan Coupe in terms of speed, handling and power, yet can still seat 5 large adults, and take their luggage on an European trip?

All boils down to choice and practicality.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 11:39pm On Jan 02, 2012
I really love this thread, its very entertaining. I would like to correct one impression, its very unfair to compare the Bangle Era BMW M5 with the W124 E500 performance wise. Both cars are from different eras. @siena: are you keen on the previous Audi S8 because of the Lamborghini V10 in it?

I thought it was a joke until I saw this, though its a RS6 and not a S8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdBKx96IEP4&feature=related
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:39am On Jan 03, 2012
baby-boy:

I thought it was a joke until I saw this, though its a RS6 and not a S8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdBKx96IEP4&feature=related

Proof to your colleague that the Audi RS6 is quicker than the Holden HSV. That was in the dry - the margin between both cars would be even greater if the sprint course was wet, the Audi's AWD advantage would have put her even further ahead.

The Holden HSV's still nice, and I would certainly pick her over the Nissan Skyline GTR R35, more practical, more comfortable, and there's something pretty shocking about the sheer pace of a full-size family wagon. You expect a Coupe Grand Tourismo to be fast, so no surprises there. But a full-size family wagon has no right to be that quick, so it kind of takes you by surprise, in a nice way too. cool
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by n3rve(m): 1:00am On Jan 03, 2012
You should check out DarkKnight MotorSport on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkKnightMotorSport?feature=g-user-u). We own/drive these high performance vehicles, the M series and AMG builds, although most of us use Mercedes. Personally, I'm looking to buy the 2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG before september this year.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by n3rve(m): 1:03am On Jan 03, 2012
And this is a BMW M3 in Nigeria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7lwKUf8SJc smiley
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:26am On Jan 03, 2012
^^^ Thanks for posting, that M3 looks great. smiley
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 2:28am On Jan 03, 2012
The M series cars while still legendary in my opinion have lost some of their edge over the last decade,BMW has porked out all across their lineups,they are now way too heavy and gizmo laden to induce the same kind of visceral feeling of the early 90s M models.not too mention some other automakers are catching up.

Here's a clip of a pro track driver testing an M3 against the Mustang Boss 302.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

BMW and a lot of German manufacturers have sat on their hands the last decade while other upstarts have gotten better.
Cadillac now has the V line up in coupe,wagon and sedan form,Pontiac's G8 GXP are just a few of high performance sleepers that you can get for less than the price of the M series BMWs with a real stick shift, not some crap paddle shift slushbox.

The Nissan GTR blows the doors off most of its German competition,in stock form is neck and neck with the Porsche 911 turbo and modded eats those cars for lunch.Oh and its half the price for admission, Performance is great , but sometimes value is much better.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 11:11am On Jan 03, 2012
Nissan GTR is another car i love,but frown at its asian origin, i'm not a fan of japanese/asian cars. In all of these, nothing will make me happier than driving an M3,E36,
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 11:44am On Jan 03, 2012
@yungboss Oh the Japanese product are not that bad? and they tend to use lighter materials may be less fuel consumption, but they tried to venture into a sector that seems to be dominant by the European motor industries which is the Saloon or Sedan.

Japan held the small car industry and I think they should stick to it, in the 90's the only competition came from the Volkswagen Golf and Renault Clio, but the Golf is becoming more powerful and bigger to be classed as a small car and the Clio is long gone and Renault Megane is not doing it.

On the other hand the Japanese tried the sports car industry and in the only successful product was the Nissan 300 ZX! but wasn't strong in the market, The Toyota Supra Twin-turbo was a flop likewise the Mitsubishi 3000GT or the Honda NSX. I know Nissan came back with the Skyline and the 350 ZX but couldn't hold a candle to what was on offer in Europe!
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by mishooo(m): 2:09pm On Jan 03, 2012
@Siena et al , why is anyone not mentioning VW?? Are they out of the performance competition?? I think they still make good SUVs,
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 5:57pm On Jan 03, 2012
baby-boy:

@yungboss Oh the Japanese product are not that bad? and they tend to use lighter materials may be less fuel consumption, but they tried to venture into a sector that seems to be dominant by the European motor industries which is the Saloon or Sedan.

Japan held the small car industry and I think they should stick to it, in the 90's the only competition came from the Volkswagen Golf and Renault Clio, but the Golf is becoming more powerful and bigger to be classed as a small car and the Clio is long gone and Renault Megane is not doing it.

On the other hand the Japanese tried the sports car industry and in the only successful product was the Nissan 300 ZX! but wasn't strong in the market, The Toyota Supra Twin-turbo was a flop likewise the Mitsubishi 3000GT or the Honda NSX. I know Nissan came back with the Skyline and the 350 ZX but couldn't hold a candle to what was on offer in Europe!

Like I said, the Nissan GTR eats German sport car coupes for lunch, check out the stats my friend, the modded Alpha 10 GTR ran a 9 sec quater mile, no M3,AMG or R8 will come close for what you pay for the GTR which is well under $90k
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by omar22(m): 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2012
Like I said, the Nissan GTR eats German sport car coupes for lunch, check out the stats my friend, the modded Alpha 10 GTR ran a 9 sec quater mile, no M3,AMG or R8 will come close for what you pay for the GTR which is well under $90k

Are you sure about that?

Are we talking about a ten second race?

Nissan GTR Stats

Engine: V6, twin-turbo, 3799cc
Max power: 473bhp @ 6400rpm
Max torque: 434lb ft @ 3200-5200rpm
0 - 60mph: 3.6sec (claimed)
Top speed: 194mph (claimed)

Pagani Zonda

Engine: V12, 7291cc
Max power: 669bhp @ 6200rpm
Max torque: 575lb ft @ 4000rpm
0 - 60mph: 3.4sec (0-62mph, claimed)
Top speed: 217mph (claimed)

Koenigsegg CCR

Koenigsegg had its record-breaking CCR on display at Geneva. The company is claiming the world speed record for a production car, having clocked 387.87kph (241mph) on the Nardo test track's eight-mile bowl. This just beat the McLaren F1's figure of 386.7kph (240.1mph). The F1's figure, however, was achieved on the VW test track's 9km straight, so there should be even more to come from the 'Egg,

Jaguar XJ220

Jaguar bosses had approved funding for a one-off show car and the team had gained the support of a number of third-party suppliers. With Group B regulations and a 200mph top speed in mind, the car was given a 6.2-litre, 500bhp version of Jaguar’s production V12, a bonded aluminium chassis from Alcan, an integrated steel roll cage, underbody Venturis for extra downforce, a four-wheel-drive system from FF Developments, AP Racing brakes with ABS, and race-derived double-wishbone suspension designed to accept four-wheel steering

RUF CTR Yellowbird

Just weeks later, America’s Road & Track magazine organised a little get-together at Volkswagen’s Ehra-Lessien test track in Germany. Amongst the nine cars in attendance were representatives from the supercar establishment, including a Ferrari Testarossa, a Lamborghini Countach 5000S and a Porsche 959, and a handful of highly tuned specials that included an AMG Hammer (a 375bhp Mercedes 300E), a Koenig/RS (a wide-bodied Porsche 911 with twin turbos and 520bhp) and a narrow-bodied, 469bhp 911, officially called a Ruf CTR, but nicknamed ‘Yellow Bird’ by the photographers on the test because of the way its bright paintwork stood out in the dull weather conditions.

Kleemann E55K

Configuration 5.4 Liter Supercharged V8
Valvetrain SOHC 3 Valves / Cylinder
Displacement 5439 cc / 331.9 cu
Power 477.2 kW / 639.9 bhp at 6400 rpm
Bore 97 mm / 3.8 in
Stroke 92 mm / 3.6 in
Compression Ratio 9:1
Bhp / Liter 117.67 bhp
Redline 6500 rpm
Top Speed 330.1 kph / 205.1 mph
0 - 62 mph 4.6 seconds
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 9:23pm On Jan 03, 2012

ha ha ha ha

RUF CTR Yellowbird

The fastest car of the 1980's at a genuine 213mph, just 25 of these startling Ruf CTR 'Yellowbirds' were produced.

Based on Porsche's 964 turbo, the CTR featured carbon body panels (almost unheard of in the 1980s) to keep weight down to a mere 1100kg. All 462bhp was transmitted to the rear wheels through an in-house 6-speed gearbox, again a rare sight in 1988. This combination of high power and low weight meant slingshot acceleration. 60mph arrived in just 3.7sec, with 100mph coming up 3 seconds later - both world records at the time, and still incredibly fast even today.

Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 03, 2012
kabukabu50:

The emphasis here is on "modded" (modified). A standard Nissan Skyline GTR R35 will not run sub-10 second quarter mile times. And I still maintain, Nissan don't have equivalent performance cars like the Germans. The Germans have performance versions on pretty much every platform, while Nissan just makes do with a 4-seater Coupe.

All their sedans or wagons are just regular luxury barges, which is okay. But there's nothing wrong in having a family sedan or wagon, or even full-size sedans that have performance that would put many a Sports Coupe to shame.
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 5:30pm On Jan 04, 2012
'modded' skyline, ok lets see what a modded m3 csl would do against the modded skyline,
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 5:31pm On Jan 04, 2012
'modded' skyline, ok lets see what a modded m3 csl would do against the modded skyline,
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by babyboy3(m): 7:56pm On Jan 04, 2012
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 04, 2012
^^^ Interesting results! smiley
Re: Are There Bmw M3's In Nigeria by yungboss(m): 10:49pm On Jan 04, 2012
nice results,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nissan To Collaborate With NADDC, Unveils Its 380-hectare Plant In Lagos -photos / Help Who Can Help Decode Our 98 Honda Accord Cd Player / Outrageous Custom Duties, Any Real Way To Calculate Accurate Duty On Cars??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.