Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta (2446 Views)

Nigeria Arrests one of its biggest Oil Tycoon As Corruption Probe Widens / Nigeria Arrests 15 Russian Sailors For Arms Smuggling / Breaking News: Nigeria Arrests Boko Haram Spokesman Abul Qaqa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 1:27am On Oct 07, 2007
Posted by I-man
Stop reasoning like a stark illiterate.What law can you cite that prohibits the above.Since when did inhabitants of Nigeria need Govt consent to film our "dirty laundry".

My man, first I will advice you to simmer down and show some respect by not exhibiting your maturity level. This is not a fight, it is absolutely OK for us to view this issue differently.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 1:30am On Oct 07, 2007
The offence of these folks could be seen as "Sedition"
Moreover, I've you thought of these folks action as also condoning the terrible behaviour of the "Niger Delta Militant Group"?

We must rise up, find a better solution and keep our dirty laundry to ourselves.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Iman3(m): 1:52am On Oct 07, 2007
Big B1:

The offence of these folks could be seen as "Sedition"

You must be having a laugh.Videoing Ijaw youths is sedition? grin grin grin

They are accused of espionage and no where has sedition been mentioned,for one thing their action couldn't amount to sedition for anyone who has the vaguest idea as to what sedition involves.

If they are spying,they must be spying on someone's behalf.On whose behalf are they spying?
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 1:58am On Oct 07, 2007
The question is, can these same folks take their camera to United States to run special on JENA6 without the propal permission of the US officials?

I don't care how long this white lady has been married to a Nigerian or how positive her intentions are; she must still follow proper steps. This is a new Nigeria, new future and those old days are gone.

FYI:People will only treat your country the same way you've presented the nation to them.
If we don't start respecting our country, no one else will show any respect.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 6:30am On Oct 07, 2007
Big Bee , your rationale for banning video coverage of selected events in Nigeria is generous on emotion and rhetoric, but sparse on known facts.  Specifically your assertion that any person seeking to film a news event in the US would only be able to do so with "permission" is blatantly false in a general sense, since the ONLY venues where the press do require an entry pass are scheduled White House press conferences in which the press corps are checked out and screened for weapons at the door as a routine security precaution.  Provided one does not choose to film the inside of a FENCED OR SIGN POSTED military or other off-limits secure facility, there are ABSOLUTELY NO RESTRICTIONS on where a video news crew may roam in the USA, no matter how ardently a bunch of obscure Nigerian internet commentators bellow to the contrary.

The existence of a German video crew filming the squalor and poverty in the oil-rich Niger Delta is certainly bound to be a worrisome development to those in the ruling class of the country who are quietly amassing enough wealth to buy up entire streets of homes in Europe and America by diverting the proceeds of crude oil exports into private pockets, while those resident on the land and creeks above those oil deposits slowly die from government neglect, oil slick pollution and the inhalation of hydrocarbon laden air from continuous gas flaring. 

Are you a part of that secret society that is getting obscenely rich off Nigeria's oil wealth Big Bee ?   If so then for sure I can understand your nervousness at the appearance of a foreign film crew anywhere near the "Ground Zero" of your feeding grounds/ killing fields where those poor indigenous "fools are thirsty, in the abundance of water", as Bob Marley would sing.

President Yar Adua would do well to IMMEDIATELY order the unconditional release of that wrongly accused German film crew, whose only "offence" was to assume Nigeria to be the free and democratic nation it portrays itself to be on the world stage
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 6:51am On Oct 07, 2007
Big B1:

The question is, can these same folks take their camera to United States to run special on JENA6 without the propal permission of the US officials?

I don't care how long this white lady has been married to a Nigerian or how positive her intentions are; she must still follow proper steps. This is a new Nigeria, new future and those old days are gone.
FYI:People will only treat your country the same way you've presented the nation to them.
If we don't start respecting our country, no one else will show any respect.

erm,  Where are you from again? undecided
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by texazzpete(m): 12:59pm On Oct 07, 2007
@BigB1
Jakumo just said exactly what i was about to say to you. If you honestly mean to imply that Reuters and other foreign news agency cannot be allowed to film in the US without 'permission', then it says a lot about your level of exposure.

But i don't blame you. Nigerians that are too used to restrictive and oppressive laws compensate by imagining conditions are the same everywhere else. Pitiful, really.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by BigB11(m): 3:28pm On Oct 07, 2007
It is amusing to me that you guys find it very difficult to present your points without getting personal.

Are you a part of that secret society that is getting obscenely rich off Nigeria's oil wealth Big Bee ?   If so then for sure I can understand your nervousness at the appearance of a foreign film crew anywhere near the "Ground Zero" of your feeding grounds/ killing fields.

Jakumo, your statement is totally unnecessary and of all people, you should be smart enough to know better.

Texazzpete, if you knew Big b1's identity, trust me, you wouldn't have opened your mouth just like that to expose those yellow spikes.

Absolutely senseless and unnecessary!

If it makes you guys feel better, please go ahead and also allow these folks to film your entire villages; and we shall all see the end result.

One love!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by denex: 5:08pm On Oct 07, 2007
It is obvious that some people don't know why spies are called spies. It is because they blend in so well that it is difficult to even suspect them.

Most spies enter their target countries as diplomats, diplomatic aides, aid workers and journalists.

Now to mrs Asuni and her fellow "aids" workers, have they chosen to aid terrorist in broadcasting terrorist propaganda?

One thing we don't realise is that espionage of today is different from that of the 19th century. Besides gathering intelligence, the next major arm of espionage is infusing corrupted information intelligence into the infiltrated country.

Imagine if Nigerian aid workers should be caught in the USA, secretly making videos of Al Qaeda cells. What do you think the CIA will say about that.

Let us not forget that Mrs Asuni has been involved in intelligence workshops involving the Nigeria Police Force and even Nigerian Army. Forget that they give such workshops fancy names. The Nigeria Police know her,and they know who she is. Besides her action amounts to Chinese aid workers filming Al Qaeda Cells training within the borders of the USA. What do you think they would be called? Observers?

When I keep screaming that the CIA is sponsoring MEND, people think I'm mad.

That video being shot is evidence to go and show the bosses at the pentagon that their money and weapons are being used as directed.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by denex: 5:13pm On Oct 07, 2007
It is obvious that some people don't know why spies are called spies. It is because they blend in so well that it is difficult to even suspect them.

Most spies enter their target countries as diplomats, diplomatic aides, aid workers and journalists.

Now to mrs Asuni and her fellow "aids" workers, have they chosen to aid terrorist in broadcasting terrorist propaganda?

One thing we don't realise is that espionage of today is different from that of the 19th century. Besides gathering intelligence, the next major arm of espionage is infusing corrupted information intelligence into the infiltrated country.

Imagine if Nigerian aid workers should be caught in the USA, secretly making videos of Al Qaeda cells. What do you think the CIA will say about that.

Let us not forget that Mrs Asuni has been involved in intelligence workshops involving the Nigeria Police Force and even Nigerian Army. Forget that they give such workshops fancy names. The Nigeria Police know her,and they know who she is. Besides her action amounts to Chinese aid workers filming Al Qaeda Cells training within the borders of the USA. What do you think they would be called? Observers?

That video being shot is evidence to go and show the bosses at the pentagon that their money and weapons are being used as directed.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by Jakumo(m): 7:55pm On Oct 07, 2007
Could Denex or Big Bee at least explain the SPECIFIC nature of the information that these journalists stand accused of seeking to obtain on their purported spy mission to the Niger Delta ? 

You guys seem the most convinced that the arrested journalists are in fact spies, so why not share some of your hypotheses about what Nigeria should be so desperate to keep hidden from outsiders view in the Niger Delta, other than the well documented poverty of the people who reside amidst the oil fields ?

Is there a secret Nigerian submarine base under construction in the mangroves someplace out beyond Yenangoa ?   Have shipments of Chinese anti-aircraft missile components been traced to dock-side warehouses owned by fronts for the Nigerian government ?  Have Al Queda jihadists been training area boys and Ilaje fishermen for suicide missions in Lagos during Environmental Insanity Day ?

The elements of a good novel are all in place, but while we armchair detectives sit around the fire and fabricate plot twists, it really is high time that this INNOCENT German film crew are released unconditionally and with unreserved apologies for the over-zealous conduct on the part of Nigerian law enforcement, whose operatives had obviously been watching too many James Bond movies during their lunch hours.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by ono(m): 4:05pm On Oct 08, 2007
Well, I may not know what the FG is up to in the Delta. But I have travelled round the creeks in boats and on the roads. I even did my NYSC there. There's practically nothing a 60-year old woman would want to spy on and disclose to the outside world that's not already in the archives of most developed economies who do business with us.

Let us not deceive ourself, this country is very much stark naked in the eyes of other countries doing ''business'' with us. There's practically nothing to hide. I will not be surprised if a country like Malawi have in their kitty the architectural design of the residence of our president, Aso Villa.
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 4:12pm On Oct 08, 2007
ono:

Well, I may not know what the FG is up to in the Delta. But I have travelled round the creeks in boats and on the roads. I even did my NYSC there. There's practically nothing a 60-year old woman would want to spy on and disclose to the outside world that's not already in the archives of most developed economies who do business with us.
Let us not deceive ourself, this country is very much stark naked in the eyes of other countries doing ''business'' with us. There's practically nothing to hide. I will not be surprised if a country like Malawi have in their kitty the architectural design of the residence of our president, Aso Villa.

cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy grin I don't think BigB1 gets the message.  He says the "future is the focus", having been blinded and defeaned to the "realities of the present".  What a lad! cheesy Apparently the "Bigness" in his screen name stands for being big in a lot of areas!
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by mrpataki(m): 4:29pm On Oct 08, 2007
denex:

grin grin grin grin grin

And indeed thou must be mad

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wetin CIA get for MEND? And why didnt the CIA factor work in the Obasanjo regime to aid in the release of Asari Dokubo? Must you keep shooting yourself with nonsensical verbiages

Is the CIA now into oil business too?
Re: Nigeria Arrests Foreign "Spies" In The Niger Delta by almondjoy(f): 4:50pm On Oct 08, 2007
mrpataki:

grin grin grin grin grin

And indeed thou must be mad

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wetin CIA get for MEND? And why didnt the CIA factor work in the Obasanjo regime to aid in the release of Asari Dokubo? Must you keep shooting yourself with nonsensical verbiages

Is the CIA now into oil business too?

Oh gosh!  Denex's matter is to be handled delicately or you will find yourself in an insane assylum after he is done with you. grin  That is a no-go area.  That one of a Denex is a case study on any given moment on Nairaland.  Tread carefully I say! cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Obiem: Michael Iheonukara Okpara And The First Higher Institution / The Pdp Has Won In Kwara State's Governorship Election / Speakership: Northern Caucus Backs South West • Mounts Pressure On Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.