Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,846 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:35 PM

The Scam Called Staph Infection - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Scam Called Staph Infection (3611 Views)

The Scam In The Cost Of Paternity Test / Can Gaurapad Treat Staph Infection? / Staph Infection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Scam Called Staph Infection by hotcoco(m): 4:27am On Jan 02, 2012
I have seen many people say they had Core infections diagnosed as Staph, which the 'doctors' claim is difficult to treat. I think this mass delusion is a serious public health problem.

What you need to know is:

A Core infection can be sexually transmitted or an overgrowth of some resident bacteria or yeast.

Sexually transmitted:

Commonly Trichomoniasis, Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. Others are Core ulcer diseases like Chancroid, syphilis, LGV etc.

Overgrowth:

Bacterial vaginosis (causes fishy odor after sex), and Candida (yeast infection).

For STIs, the patient and the partner should be treated, else re-infection occurs.

Finally, there is no Instruments infection caused by Staph. Some of these STIs i noted above need specialized tests for diagnosis. For example, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are detected by PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) or special culture. These tests cannot be performed by most Nigerian labs, so they`re commonly treated empirically based on the doctor`s findings on examining the patient.
It is easy to claim Staph causes all these infections they can`t point out in the lab.

PS: Staphylococcus is an important hospital-acquired infection, this is one way it could get in the Cores. (i don`t know how common this is though)
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by FXElixir: 8:43am On Jan 02, 2012
hotcoco:

I have seen many people say they had Core infections diagnosed as Staph, which the 'doctors' claim is difficult to treat. I think this mass delusion is a serious public health problem.

What you need to know is:

A Core infection can be sexually transmitted or an overgrowth of some resident bacteria or yeast.

Sexually transmitted:

Commonly Trichomoniasis, Chlamydia or Gonorrhea. Others are Core ulcer diseases like Chancroid, syphilis, LGV etc.

Overgrowth:

Bacterial vaginosis (causes fishy odor after sex), and Candida (yeast infection).

For STIs, the patient and the partner should be treated, else re-infection occurs.

Finally, there is no Cores infection caused by Staph. Some of these STIs i noted above need specialized tests for diagnosis. For example, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are detected by PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) or special culture. These tests cannot be performed by most Nigerian labs, so they`re commonly treated empirically based on the doctor`s findings on examining the patient.
It is easy to claim Staph causes all these infections they can`t point out in the lab.

PS: Staphylococcus is an important hospital-acquired infection, this is one way it could get in the Cores. (i don`t know how common this is though)

Are you an expert of some kind ?
If not I suggest you be a little more careful how you court controversy around here. Did u say scam?

[b]
Resistant Staph hits the bedroom

Brand new on the list of "Sexually Transmitted
Diseases" is MRSA Infection, more commonly
known as a "Flesh-eating Bacterial Infection."
What's new about this disease is not the fact that
it exists at all, for it has been encountered for a
long time in hospitals. In the hospital setting, it is
known as a "hospital infection," "nosocomial
infection," which means "an infection caused by
the care given." There in the hospital, MRSA
(Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureous)
targets patients whose immune defenses are
compromised by other serious illnesses or who
have open wounds as a result of surgery or
trauma.
Such infections spread more readily in hospitals,
partly because the people gathered there are the
most vulnerable, and partly because the
caregivers there can act as vectors for the
bacteria - without any signs of illness themselves.
However, other places where many people live
close to one another, in group homes, for
example, or in certain jobs and in military
barracks, may also be conducive to the spread of
such infection. These potential "hot spots" have
long been recognized as breeding grounds for the
more dangerous bacterial infections.
What's new, and what's alarming, is that MRSA
infections are now suspected to be transmitted
by heterosexual activity, between husbands and
wives and between other monogamous couples.
*Infectious Disease News* (1), in its April 2007
issue, reported that three cases of heterosexual
activity transmission of MRSA have been identified
and confirmed in Manhattan.
[/b]

http://www.helium.com/items/313393-the-new-std-drug-resistant-staph-hits-the-bedroom

Maybe if you said the 'scam of staph treatments' it would have been more acceptable. But to say staph itself is a scam

Please go and read more, enlighten yourself before scribbling about what u don't know about STAPH is REAL.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by hotcoco(m): 4:25pm On Jan 02, 2012
Dear FX Elixir,

If you read the link you posted closely, you`d notice it was mentioned that Staph caused Skin Abscesses aka BOIL.

Staph can cause skin infections, throat infections, pneumonia, and sometimes meningitis. The most severe form of Staph infection is the Toxic shock syndrome, where a localized Staph infection leads to multisystem failure because of an exotoxin produced by the bacteria.
Some Staphylococcus strains are resistant to common antibiotics. These include the MRSA (Methicillin-Resistant Staph Aureus). They are commonly acquired in the hospital (nosocomial) and are treated with specific antibiotics like Vancomycin. Pseudomonas is another organism that commonly causes nosocomial infections.

Ok, now let`s revisit your link.

Staph was labelled as a STI. STIs are generally infections that are transmitted by sexual activity. If we go by that definition, then scabies and lice become STIs too. They don`t affect the reproductive system itself, just like Staph, but they are transmitted by intimate contact.
When we talk specifically about internal or external reproductive system infections, Staph doesn`t fall under any category.

You can read more about Staphulococcus at any reputable online medical resource like www.emedicine.medscape.com or www.mayoclinic.com (more simplified information).

PS: I`m a medical doctor.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by FXElixir: 5:12pm On Jan 02, 2012
Doctor,
My gripe with u isn't to do with what we both know staph is capable of, historically.
True, anyone would tell staph causes boils, carbuncles, furuncles etc.

What I'm saying is even though that knowledge is true, it needs updating. In recent literature, Staph is now been identified as not only causative organism in sexually transmissible infection, it has also been implicated in cases of secondary infertility, most notably PID in the female.
These are things you pick in clinical practice. An academic public health dr can only rely on what is written in the textbook.

I have read the Mayo Clinics staph literature and do agree they're a respectable source of info on the net. However, the info doesn't reflect the current clinical experience in the incidence of staph as an STI.

There are several links and literature on the web which have updated their info on resistant staph infection. Perhaps I can post more of them if you're not convinced. These are academic papers written by clinicians and not just blogs trying to market stuff.

Its only a matter of time before STIs are re classified to include staph across the board. Watch out for new editions of microbiology texts.
Even Mayo Clinic would be forced to update this.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by reindeer: 9:51pm On Jan 02, 2012
Thanks for your post hotcoco
This mass delusion about ''staph'' is unbelievable and only holds sway because of the largely illiterate populace in Nigeria.
You shouldn't be surprised when they come screaming at you because you're trying to enlighten them and by so doing kill off a source of income for scammers.
I wish you the very best. I gave up on trying to educate folks about this scam a long time ago.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by doctokwus: 10:35pm On Jan 02, 2012
@op,ignore them,nigerians like being hoodwinked.
I made similar corrections in anoda thread& that quack that goes by d user name ELIXIR had d nerve to query my post.I ignored him because I know that quacks like him are gettin exposed as d society becomes more enlightened
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by FXElixir: 11:39pm On Jan 02, 2012
Unfortunate Doctokwus
Will u say that u r not a quack ?
Bloody used car salesman like yourserlf
Are u not ashamed of yourself u had a problem with your silly ' correction' being challenged and waited until a Woman came along for you to hide behind.
I wouldn't even buy a used car from u, let alone let u treat my 9 year old DOG !
Let me see u post any silly 'corrections' again.
Bloody fo.ool
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by FXElixir: 11:41pm On Jan 02, 2012
Back to hotcoco:
Doctor,
My gripe with u isn't to do with what we both know staph is capable of, historically.

What I'm saying is even though that knowledge is true, it needs updating. In recent literature, Staph is now been identified as not only causative organism in sexually transmissible infection, it has also been implicated in cases of secondary infertility, most notably PID in the female.
These are things you pick in clinical practice. An academic public health dr can only rely on what is written in the textbook.

I have read the Mayo Clinics staph literature and do agree they're a respectable source of info on the net. However, the info doesn't reflect the current clinical experience in the incidence of staph as an STI.

There are several links and literature on the web which have updated their info on resistant staph infection. Perhaps I can post more of them if you're not convinced. These are academic papers written by clinicians and not just blogs trying to market stuff.

Its only a matter of time before STIs are re classified to include staph across the board. Watch out for new editions of microbiology texts.

When other do nothings in this section see a your location as "NY" they become all awed-over. And then they start to spew rubbish about what they can't do anything about. is it somekind of inferiority complex

Whatever the case, I wish your posts become a regular feature and I look forward to reading.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by FXElixir: 12:19am On Jan 03, 2012
PS
To Any 'real' doctor on NL if you truly have welfare of gullible Nigerians at heart, then u should take on 'scammers' post for post. And when you do so do it intelligently.
You can educate without the need to castigate or label.
If you're on NL to relax or transact other 'business' then don't constitute an irritation to others.
If you believe others are scammed and you do not show the 'true way',  don't try to bark the wrong tree, it might just be 'poison oak'.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by hotcoco(m): 2:25am On Jan 03, 2012
FX Elixir:

Back to hotcoco:
Doctor,

FX Elixir,

Clinicians all over the world currently practice evidence-based medicine. That is, there's no room for conjecture or anecdotes. If you have found any scientific study implicating Staphylococcus as a cause of PID or secondary infertility, please post it here.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by reindeer: 3:42am On Jan 03, 2012
FX Elixir:

Back to hotcoco:
Doctor,

These are things you pick in clinical practice
[i][/i]. An academic public health dr can only rely on what is written in the textbook.

When other do nothings in this section see a your location as "NY" they become all awed-over. And then they start to spew rubbish about what they can't do anything about. is it somekind of inferiority complex

Whatever the case, I wish your posts become a regular feature and I look forward to reading.

Could you please supply the sources of the bolded parts?
For far too long Nigerians have remained gullible falling for tricks by scammers who barely understand the microbiology of this very common organism.
You said its ''something you only pick in clinical practice''? Surely(if you are a licenced Doctor) you must understand the concept pf evidence based medicine yes?
Like i told the OP, i got tired of trying to enlighten people as obviously, people who make their cash misinforming them will keep churning out unsubstantiated claims.
Their are many species of Staphylococcus,each with it's own unique microbiology, the fact that a ''test'' found it doesnt mean that is the cause of the ailment.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by hotcoco(m): 4:30am On Jan 03, 2012
FX Elixir:

Now that I've been unbanned, shocked shocked

Clinicians currently practice evidence-based medicine. This means practice that is based on scientific data, rather than conjecture or anecdotes.
I need FX Elixir or anyone else to provide a study that implicates Staphylococcus as a cause of PID or secondary infertility because I haven't found any literature suggesting that.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by reindeer: 11:45am On Jan 03, 2012
For some strange reason, i was banned for posting on this thread yesterday.
and my post was deleted.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by reindeer: 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2012
It is obvious taking on the scammers post for post gets you banned.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by hotcoco(m): 3:52pm On Jan 03, 2012
I was also banned from posting, shocked shocked shocked so i took my talents to other sites that don`t suppress free speech.
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by FXElixir: 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2012
Auto Spambot cheesy

Pls come back, where y'all going   grin

NL does free speech, I assure you. wink
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by oliky(m): 11:51pm On Feb 06, 2012
funny
Re: The Scam Called Staph Infection by IHNetworks: 2:08am On Feb 07, 2012
Wow !
What a controversial but interesting subject.
I ve read quite a few staph related threads here and I have to say that nobody can claim to know it all.
I've read the last post on this thread as I did all the others and I was compelled to take up the challenge - "Does staph really cause PID and infertility ?" And if so is there any study or research confirming it ?

I went online, and to my annoyance, all I could find were Nigerian Newspaper articles by 'reporters' echoing what some 'practitioner' said about staph.
But I didn't relent after combing thru a few more pages on google I did come across a few articles from the UK - also anecdotes.

Then I came across the BMJ article about S.Saprophyticus causing NG urethretitis which hade been quoted here on another staph thread.
And a few search pages later, I found quite a few from the US written by MDs
This particular one is from Brighams Womens Hospital in ? Boston, MA.
Its been reviewed by a few Dr with references at the end.
It clearly cites STAPH AND OTHER ORGANISMS as being among the causes of PID in women which may lead to INFERTLITY. This study seems to taken from data obtained in the field ie clinic.

Maybe its not too far fetched when some say doctors have access to little or no research or don't do enough of their own, especially in our part of the globe .

BTW the link is
http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/455/Pelvic-inflammatory-disease-PID?page=2

If you're not satisfied with that, look for more links yourself !

If you have a STI that has defied antibiotics or believe you have 'staph' email ihnnigeria@hotmail.com

(1) (Reply)

CNN Founder Donates $1bn To Nigeria For Polio Eradication / Pictures Of Blacks With Blue Eyes: Natural Phenomenon Or Genetic Mutation? / Orthopedic Mattress : What's Your Experience?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.