Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,669 members, 7,816,752 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? (19943 Views)

NLC To Senators: Return Exotic Cars Or Face The Wrath Of Nigerians / NLC To Declare Nationwide Strike Against Electricity Tariff Hike, Fuel Scarcity / Strength And Weaknesses Of APC Presidential Aspirants: Who Wins, Who Loses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by oradee: 10:11am On Jan 06, 2012
wait a minuit, r u guys blaming NLC for announcing a strike or the Govt who caused the NLC to announce the strike?,
Pro-subsidy removal campaigners have forgotten that basically everything in Nigeria has been created with a subsidized petrol.
The Niger bridge was created, Aso Rock with all its grandeur was created, abuja as a city was created, the existing refineries that were allowed to rut were built, The N60b abuja stadium ws constructed, third mainland bridge was created, N18b Tafa Balogun stole was available, The one Bode George was arrested for was availble, the one EFCC is chasing Bankole for was available, the one they have been embezzling through ridiculous govt allowances and estacodes have been available, the list is endless,
So if all the above were done with our petrol being subsidized, what magic do they then wanna do with the excess from its removal?, if the country is broke, then they should drastically cut down on their spending spree becos u cannot tell me or any enlightened Nigerian that it is the pure water seller or the okada rider or the aboki man who is making the country bankrupt, as i said earlier,this is the last straw for the already staggering camel,
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by aagarba05(m): 10:26am On Jan 06, 2012
Do you mean stockpiling food items or what? If yes, where's the money to get them in large quantities? The masses ought not to be subjected to more hardship. Let's pencil down our strategic places; common people must be carried along; the oppressed just have to contribute their quota. We've learnt a lot from Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Yemen. We're still gaining intellectually from the happenings in Syria. Now, let's map out some strategies that suit our own state of affairs. The battle should be taken to each member of their immediate families and their beneficiaries within our reach. They should be made to taste part of what we've been forced to be chewing. Each culprit just has to face the wrath of the masses! It's high time we put paid to our cowardice; no one's out there willing and ready to fight for us; let's do shoulder the responsibity so as to create a new Nigeria that will be conducive for living. Only those who have more than essential resources and fear death will stay behind!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by sniperwolf(m): 11:14am On Jan 06, 2012
NLC don't know the economics behind this subsidy removal
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by UyiIredia(m): 11:17am On Jan 06, 2012
sniperwolf:

NLC don't know the economics behind this subsidy removal

It appears the same applies to you.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by oradee: 11:53am On Jan 06, 2012
its comments like these that gives the govt the gutts to make insensitive decisions at the expence of the helpless masses and to the advantage of their pockect, after running a rat race for 50yrs, the best way out is subsidy removal?
i do pray that the labors of our heros past wouldnt be in vain.
When OBJ left office, ALL OUR DEBTS WERE PAID OFF so how do we justify the subsidy removal?///havent they embezzeled enough? some have been lost to swiss bank and other foreign unknown banks, the worst type of robbery is the pen and paper types and insensitive and selfish polices made,
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by oradee: 12:39pm On Jan 06, 2012
If we produce 2.2m barrels/day, and consume just 10% of that, why is it so hard to subsidize that 10% we consume ?

What happened to other parts of our economy
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by monopolist: 12:42pm On Jan 06, 2012
stockpile food and money
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Twoboys: 12:49pm On Jan 06, 2012
We may never agree on: what we really subsidizing: corruption, inefficiencies or fuel, when will be the best time to remove the subsidy etc, but we can at least agree on who should pay for the subsidy for as long as we allow it to exist. That is were GEJ logic has remained superior: NO TO BORROWING OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE FOR SUBSIDIZING US. We have seen the 2012 budget proposals, how do we pay another 1.3 trillion naira? cut personnel cost? labour is already fuming over the proposed merger of parasatal amd ministries becos it may lead to sack of some workers? cut the vote on health, education, agriculture and security etc which have all been said to be inadequate in the first place? Labour need to give her own answer to that question.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by PointB: 12:54pm On Jan 06, 2012
^^^^^^ ^^
Tell us how easy is is for a poor man to stockpile food and money. And while you are at it, kindly educate us on how the tomato and vegetable seller can preserve his/her produce during the indefinite strike whiles at the same time have enough money for food.

like I said NLC remedy is more painful than the malaise it seeks to cure. It is elitist!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by oradee: 1:11pm On Jan 06, 2012
Twoboys:

We may never agree on: what we really subsidizing: corruption, inefficiencies or fuel, when will be the best time to remove the subsidy etc, but we can at least agree on who should pay for the subsidy for as long as we allow it to exist. That is were GEJ logic has remained superior: [b]NO TO BORROWING OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE FOR SUBSIDIZING US. [/b]We have seen the 2012 budget proposals, how do we pay another 1.3 trillion naira? cut personnel cost? labour is already fuming over the proposed merger of parasatal amd ministries becos it may lead to sack of some workers? cut the vote on health, education, agriculture and security etc which have all been said to be inadequate in the first place? Labour need to give her own answer to that question.

our debt was paid off before OBJ left office.
did they borrow 1.3trillion to subsidize 10% of our consumption?
then who then funds their lavish and extravagant spending? is it the masses?
469 NASS members (minus others) gulp N1.12trillion and its OK?
As Tu-face said, If u wanna go to heaven, be prepared to die first.
if the leakage of nigeria is to be mopped up, then the source of the leak must be checked and sealed.
if Obama can reduce call for a salary cut, the British PM reduce his convoy to only two (as i hear, i never go UK before), i don't see any reason why ur GEJ and co cant do the same.
Honestly i blame the financial advisers for not first championing a reduction in govt spending before singing for subsidy removal.
leadership is from top to bottom.
the govt and co can afford the new pump price and every increment that goes with it but not the masses (which include the jobless,the old, the retired without pension, the less privileged, the physically challenged)
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by tollu: 3:08pm On Jan 06, 2012
PointB:

^^^^^^ ^^
Tell us how easy is is for a poor man to stockpile food and money. And while you are at it, kindly educate us on how the tomato and vegetable seller can preserve his/her produce during the indefinite strike whiles at the same time have enough money for food.

like I said NLC remedy is more painful than the malaise it seeks to cure. It is elitist!

The poor people and market women are more than willing to embark on this strike. People have gone on hunger strikes in the past.
Help the less privileged around you.
The vegetable seller shouldn't buy too much stock from Saturday, if they have any left they should barter it. Give me Ugwu, I give you rice.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by muyoto: 4:16pm On Jan 06, 2012
it's a worthwhile sacrifice, IMO
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by onyewec3: 4:25pm On Jan 06, 2012
IS THIS SHAM COUNTRY NOT EVEN ASHAMED. HOW CAN WE CONTINUE TO DEPEND ON OIL FOR OUR LIVING.HW WOULD OIL DICTATES HOW WE WILL GO TO SCHOOL,EAT,ETC.other countries are looking beyond oil as a source of energy here we are killing ourselves and raining curses and abuses.what if oil dries up in nigeria today,den we will carry arms and kill ourselves then.solid minerals is being untapped,agriculture is not well developped.our state governors,local govt chairmen ,senators,house of rep members,president etc are all bunch of nin com poops, DIS IS NOT JUST OIL SUBSIDY, we need to uprrot the entire system, reverting to 65naira doesnt mean aregbeRASCAL andb fash-ole will not continue to giveb Tinubu our money, neither does it stop rotimi amathief frm embezzling.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Twoboys: 4:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
oradee:

our debt was paid off before OBJ left office.
did they borrow 1.3trillion to subsidize 10% of our consumption?
then who then funds their lavish and extravagant spending? is it the masses?
469 NASS members (minus others) gulp N1.12trillion and its OK?
As Tu-face said, If u wanna go to heaven, be prepared to die first.
if the leakage of nigeria is to be mopped up, then the source of the leak must be checked and sealed.
if Obama can reduce call for a salary cut, the British PM reduce his convoy to only two (as i hear, i never go UK before), i don't see any reason why your GEJ and co cant do the same.
Honestly i blame the financial advisers for not first championing a reduction in govt spending before singing for subsidy removal.
leadership is from top to bottom.
the govt and co can afford the new pump price and every increment that goes with it but not the masses (which include the jobless,the old, the retired without pension, the less privileged, the physically challenged)
I absolutely agree with you on all you've said. The only seeming difference is that until we as a people are able to get government to do the right thing as you have listed, it should not be our children who should pay for govt taking us for a ride and we ourselves allowing the corruption to go on like it is free just because its costing the future of our children. My guess is that if we come under this pressure of making the sacrifice, the pain of such sacrifice will force us to confront the government to be more responsible. Nothing on ground before now shows us as a people doing enough to make our leaders accountable, but with such painful sacrifice we just may.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Pain(m): 8:36pm On Jan 06, 2012
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), has condemned today’s invasion of its Secretariat in Abuja by about 70 thugs who were hired by agents of the government.
It also alerted the nation to what it called the “militarization” of Abuja.

“As part of its desperate moves to abort the peoples mass protests and intimidate Nigerians, the Presidency this morning turned out heavily armed units of the Presidential guards,” NLC Acting Secretary General Owei Lakemfa said in a statement. “The troops blocked roads, condoned off parts of the city, harassed and frisked passersby.”

He condemned the misuse of the army and a “show of force” it said was designed to intimidate peace loving Nigerians, warning that members of the police and the armed forces are equally affected by the negative impacts of the fuel price hike.

On the presence of the thugs at Labour House, Mr. Lakemfa said the aim was to cause a fracas which would lead to claims that workers are divided over the issue of fuel price increase. He said the thugs later apologized, claiming they had not been told they were being taken to the NLC.

“They revealed that they were promised One Thousand Naira (N1,000) each to carry out the invasion,” he said. “Subsequently, they forced the agents that brought them to pay the N1,000 fee right in the presence of the cameras.”

He regretted that during the invasion, the FCT Police Command ignored calls by NLC officers to come and deal with the situation, and that the heavily armed security men who had condoned off parts of the area also did nothing to stop the invaders.

“The NLC views this incident as another desperate attempt by the increasingly isolated and unpopular Jonathan administration to stop the mass movement against its insensitive and ridiculous fuel price increases of between 120-220 per cent,” Mr. Lakemfa said
The NLC also noted that fraudulent text messages were sent around earlier in the morning, containing the fiction that the government had reversed the price of petrol back to N65, on the strength of which it was said that the Labour Movement had called off the action scheduled for next Monday.

“The NLC informs Nigerians that on this issue of strikes and protests, only statements or messages from the Labour Movement should be taken as authentic,” the statement said.
It reaffirmed the right of Nigerians to peaceful assembly and protest as a fundamental one which no government can abridge, and vowed that the NLC will work with the Nigeria Bar Association to bring those who brutalize Nigerians, and their bosses who issue the orders, to justice.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by obowunmi(m): 4:05am On Jan 07, 2012
They have not yet cancelled my flight. angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by otokx(m): 5:39am On Jan 07, 2012
but GEJ why?
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 9:57am On Jan 07, 2012
Uncle jo shld nw knw dat nigerians v woken up frm his i ve no shoe spells he casted upon them during d last p.election. Reality v done on us all, sentiments and religious/regional considerations that impaired our rationalities during d elections v all disappeared and nw nigerians can see bera. No more luck mr president, just remove dat canoe on ur head u call hat and allow d air of wisdom to pass through ur skull 4once so as to knw dat u v ran out of luck nw and d only way out is to allow reason to prevail by riverting bck to #65/ltr. If a body called FIFA with a staff strenght nt up2 200 at zurish barked @u and u turned a vegetable and unbanned the national football teams hw much more those dat voted 4u to become their leader. So pathetic of u, always loyal and timid 2ur white masters but whn it comes to our wellfare u become a dictator. May God help u.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 07, 2012
The masses are the losers!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
Why are some people condemning NLC for the coming strike action? Why do some people keep on supporting this incompetent morron called GEJ ? Abi oloriburuku niyin ni? Ko ni da fun yin ni kan kan. Aye yin loma ku danu bi elubo. Olosi gbogbo. If you can't fight for your right, why no shut the f**k up and let the people who can fight fight. Olori buruku gbogbo. Won o fe nkan to dara laye won. Epe mi ma mon gbogbo yin subsidy removal supporters ni kankan.
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by aljharem(m): 1:25pm On Jan 07, 2012
tpacalipse:

Why are some people condemning NLC for the coming strike action? Why do some people keep on supporting this incompetent morron called GEJ ? Abi oloriburuku niyin ni? Ko ni da fun yin ni kan kan. Aye yin loma ku danu bi elubo. Olosi gbogbo. [size=18pt]If you can't fight for your right, why no shut the bleep up and let the people who can fight fight.[/size] Olori buruku gbogbo. Won o fe nkan to dara laye won. Epe mi ma mon gbogbo yin subsidy removal supporters ni kankan.

Thank you
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
Weather we like it or not as for me nlc has been bribed with aleast 50billion so dey can protest somanytins has happened for nlc to go strike but gey did not they shld go and lick stew grin shocked embarassed undecided
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2012
Abeg oh nor be me post wetin d̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣γ̲̣ up, make person tell anonymous say I nor be goverment official oh!
How can I say weather? *shrieks*
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Mayy: 3:12pm On Jan 07, 2012
Wait o, what happens to my planned travel abroad on Wednesday? Will NLC refund my hard-scratched flight fare if I can't go or will it reschedule my courses so I dont miss the classes I have paid for? What is all this?!
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
@Chrisbenogor ur so funny, OMG which 1 b "go and lick stew?" Asin rilli! I have never heard that b4 lmao.

‎​Our Brothers Hackitvists have successfully gotten all the phone numbers of some government officials.If you don't want to protest, then Please occupy these peoples' not so busy time through Text message.
Tell David Mark how you feel - 08035008888 .
Tell Diezani Alison Maduekwe how you feel - 08034025013.
Tell Rotimi Amaechi how you feel - 07088980000.
Tell H.E Mrs VP how u feel 08055567000.
Tell Sen Bala Muhammed how u feel - 08051009192.
Tell Gen Azazi how you feel - 08085858541.
Tell Gen Gowon how you feel - 080340880084.
Tell Femi Otedola to pass ur msg to GEJ - 07030000222.
Tell Adams Oshiomole how u feel 08055554448.
Tell Bola Shagaya to pass ur msg 08050559999 08121999999.
Tell Gov Muazu how you feel - 08078798811.
Tell Gov Yakowa how u feel 08033146646.
Tell Gov Yuguda how u feel 07058626004.
Tell Oronto Douglas how u feel 08055077077, 08033003890.
Pass the message direct to GEJ via his ADC Col Adegbe - 08036350313.
More numbers are coming, sacrifice a thousand naira, buy credit and occupy these people's lines until they bow to our demands. #OccupyNigeria
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2012
@paris
I did not post that thing, seun or anonymous is playin a dirty trick on me. But to lick stew na normal level na?l??
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by DrKnow1(m): 7:01pm On Jan 07, 2012
I think they should respect the court order and stop the strike because what goes around comes around. they might be in the same position in the future where an injunction may be placed on the FG restraining them from implementing certain action. Should the FG disobey such an order? I think everybody should respect the decisions of the court whether favorable or not.
After all the removal of fuel subsidy could be the breakthrough Nigeria is looking for if only the Funds generated by its removal is wisely spent

Listen to this argument on the link below:

http://asewele-television..com/2012/01/cbn-governor-sanusi-lamido-sanusi.html
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by ifyalways(f): 8:10am On Jan 08, 2012
Bikonu,what has happened to the whole ATM's in VI area of Lagos?None is dispensing cash.

Have the ATM's gone on strike too?
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:56am On Jan 08, 2012
[size=18pt]TUC/NLC as an organisation is a joke. Protest over more pay for workers is reasonable. Protest over gratuity is reasonable. Protest over pension is reasonable. Protest over arrears is reasonable, but protest for credit or subsidies is pure madness and beyond their jurisdiction. [/size]
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by chasee: 12:06pm On Jan 08, 2012
WHILE NLC AND TUC SET TO GO ON STRIKE 2MORROW, SOME COMPANIES IN LAGOS( FRIESLAND CAMPINA WAMCO NIGERIA PLC IN OGBA, GUINESS NIG PLCC) ARE PLANNING 2 GO ON WITH THERE NORMAL WORK FORCING THIER STAFF TO RESUME DUTY. DOES IT MEAN THAT NLC AND TUC DO NOT HAVE AUTHORITY OVER THESE COMPANIES? IF NOT I URGE OCCUPY NIGERIA, LETS OCCUPY THESE COMPANY TOMMORROW AS WE CONTINUE THE PROTEST. NO TO SUBSIDY REMOVAL, JONAH MUST GO, NGOZI SHOULD LEAVE,
Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by seunlayi(m): 12:27pm On Jan 08, 2012
we should wake up, nlc are just trying to get their share of the cake. Their january salary is waiting 4 them, they have noting to lose and they are even part of the system that has failed us.

1 Like

Re: Nlc To Shut Down Airports, Banks, Etc - Advises Masses To Stockpile. Who Loses? by PastorKun(m): 3:05pm On Jan 08, 2012
The insignificant and insincere 'cuts' in expenditure as announced by GEJ yesterday does not even begin to scratch the surface of the problem yet some people are applauding for 'taking a step in the right direction'. Any step short of withdrawing the 2012 appropriation bill currently before the NASS and replacing it with one in which recurrent expenditures has been slashed to not more than 30% of budget as opposed to the current 70% and capital expenditure increased in the same proportion while also capturing the savings to be made from subsidy removal as an addition to the capital vote, would be totally unacceptable to Nigerians. This should not be a fight to retain an abusive and cancerous subsidy but rather a fight for good governance, prudent management of resources and accountability from our leaders so that we can all be collectively better off as a nation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari’s Illness Prevents 10 Envoys From Assuming Duty / MURIC To FG: Give Bailout Funds To Herders To Buy Land For Ranching / Metuh Writes Petition Against Judge, Wants Trial Transferred

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.