Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,597 members, 7,820,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? (7181 Views)

Thugs Block Roads Leading To Ekiti / Okada Riders Take Over Abuja Express, Headed To Eagle Square (photos) / Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by UyiIredia(m): 11:48am On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

@Uyi Iredia
My guy, when I talk about R&grin, I am not talking about FIIRO. If you have ever been to FIIRO though, you will collapse in tears.
Govt is serious about setting a percentage of the budget aside, strictly for R&grin (I forget the details, though).

You didn't need too. I was pointing out that that Jonathan's administration isn't the first to bring up R&grin.

Beaf:
As for science and tech requiring raw materials, surely that has little to do with the fuel subsidy. No?

It has much to do with the fuel subsidy. Transport is the lifeblood of any economy an increase in the cost of transport is bound to affect science and technology.

Beaf:
The 50% drop in deisel consumption could not have come from people switching to petrol. The major users of desiel are industries who use it to run their generators 24/7, such users cannot switch to petrol. It is glaring that the 50% drop was due to a drop in fraud.

Agreed, but, I posit that part of that drop would involve switching over to petrol to perpetuate fraud and for reasons of 'cost-conservation'.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by nagoma(m): 11:52am On Jan 06, 2012
GEJ government has declared war on Nigerians (all of us "Rats and cockroaches" to borrrow the cliche' from another dictator) all the barricades, the fortifications and the heavily armed soldiers are to ensure that we are gagged, no access to eagle square to express how we want to be ruled. Worse than military , I would say!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by UyiIredia(m): 11:53am On Jan 06, 2012
LeoMax:

@Demdem

I assume you remember that GEJ administration started just about 7 months ago.  I see that impatience is personified

The only marginally reasonable point in your posts thus far. One wishes Mr Jonathan had equally applied patience to the subsidy removal.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by baslone: 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
Eagle square has been blocked, pls pass the info to all our peeps to meet us @ merit house maitama. its the national human right commission opposite NUC!!! be there!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by Beaf: 12:04pm On Jan 06, 2012
jay bee:

How glaring Mr Beaf?
What about the common sense possibility that the small business owners that rely on diesel to run their business couldn't afford to any more once the subsidy was removed

What about the possibility that the soaring cost of truck transportation in the building sector couldn't be contained coupled with the fact of squeeze in money market which in turn affected the once booming construction industry?

Dude, in the diesel consumption arena, small business owners are a micro-dot. What small business user can be compared to the likes of Nigerian Breweries for example? What that single company consumes in a day is what thousands of small users consume in a year.

The bit about trucks is guesswork, because Nigeria has kept recording growth in the construction industry.

The 50% drop in consumption of diesel after deregulation can only be attributed to a drop in fraud. By the time all this shakes through, there is sure to be an eye-popping drop in the fuckry that is reported as fuel consumption in Nigeria as well.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by Demdem(m): 12:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
LeoMax:

@Demdem

I assume you remember that GEJ administration started just about 7 months ago.  I see that impatience is personified

yes ke, the same way he told us that by dec31 2011, we would be boasting of 5000MW of power. am sure we have achieved that abi?

Uyi Iredia:

The only marginally reasonable point in your posts thus far. One wishes Mr Jonathan had equally applied patience to the subsidy removal.

well, maginally u said. the retardeen antecedents since his governorship days suggests to all reasonable peeps that he simply cant be  trusted. he isnt for any change from whatever status quo, he is and stands for the staus quo which is to oppressed the very weak in the society.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by Demdem(m): 12:08pm On Jan 06, 2012
baslone:

Eagle square has been blocked, pls pass the info to all our peeps to meet us @ merit house maitama. its the national human right commission opposite NUC!!! be there!

honestly, what does the govt want to acheive with this? This is cowardice.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by bodejohn(m): 12:15pm On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

Dude, in the diesel consumption arena, small business owners are a micro-dot. What small business user can be compared to the likes of Nigerian Breweries for example? What that single company consumes in a day is what thousands of small users consume in a year.

The bit about trucks is guesswork, because Nigeria has kept recording growth in the construction industry.

The 50% drop in consumption of diesel after deregulation can only be attributed to a drop in fraud. By the time all this shakes through, there is sure to be an eye-popping drop in the fuckry that is reported as fuel consumption in Nigeria as well.

@ Beaf,
Was has the govt. done with the money she got from deregulating diesel?

Do you have any answer to this?

bodejohn:

According to govt. sources some amount was budgeted for fuel subsidy last year but it was overpaid by about a trillion naira, that leaves the govt with some one trillion deficit.
But there is no amount budgeted for subsidy in this year's budget how is the govt expected to make savings? You can only make savings on what you have, how does okonjo iweala plan to make savings on what was not budgeted for?
Will the govt take what she used to pay back from the marketers? A quick answer to my mind confirms the fact that there was no subsidy in the first place. But not to live in my ignorance if that is the case, how does the govt plan to rake in savings of subsidy condering the fact that she will no longer monitor consumption. I need some answers please.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by jaybee3(m): 12:20pm On Jan 06, 2012
Beaf:

How many companies of NB's size do we have in Nigeria? Do you know it's mostly small business that drives the economy of a nation? Solely ignoring the impact they make is definitely far fetched.
Do you know how many people downsized from larger  KVA diesel generators to smaller petrol generators due to the subsidy?
Ignoring these groups as a non factor stats is just very rich coming from you oga beaf.

At best, it's very difficult to put a concrete % impact of fraud on anything in Nigeria due to unavailability of adequate data
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by Gbawe: 12:29pm On Jan 06, 2012
Uyi Iredia:

My brother, even the credit you give him for making a "marginally reasonable point" is undeserved. I only note tedious revisionism . Are supporters of GEJ not ashamed of the worn-out and frankly dishonest mitigation that GEJ has been in power for "only a few months" when we all know he has been substantive President for almost 2 years ?
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by humblebee: 1:03pm On Jan 06, 2012
the truth remains, this present government can not be trusted with the money from subsidy removal, if Jonathan calling for support from the masses can not make any sacrifice ans still gets millions of naira for daily feeding then he is not ready to move this country forward. WE SAY NO TO FUEL SUBSIDY until our refineries are fixed, until jobs are provided, until roads and electricity are in stable conditions.
Jonathan has ordered armed men with ammunition to mount all the roads leading to eagle square in abuja and he's surely ready to sink. i hope he has the guts for all of these
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by mukina2: 1:09pm On Jan 06, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Roads Leading To Eagle Square Have Been Blocked By Soldiers? by KiddyDiva(f): 3:55pm On Jan 08, 2012
The leaders of this country are using our money for their personal needs and they tell us they're broke, jonathan earning more than obama?can you imagine?i'm at home instead of being at school coz some useless president won't listen to ASUU, subsidy or no subsidy nigeria has enough money to carter for the projects.all they use our money for is to hold useless awards and parties, the president doesn't buy food,nor fuel nor does he move on public transport, we the masses are suffering the pain, i'm a Nigerian student and i weep for my country, lets fight good the fight,

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"PDP Is Losing Members" - Bamanga Tukur / Magu's Rejection An Attemt To Undermine Anti-corruption War - Transparency Int'l / Emulate IBB, Treat Nigerians Equally, Iwuanyanwu Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.