Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,644 members, 7,816,652 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech (31402 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / Jonathan's Speech At Handover Presentation. / Jonathan's Speech At The UN General Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by boles80sg(m): 10:35pm On Jan 07, 2012
so why are luxurious buses increasing their fare?They use diesel which has deregulated 6years ago!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by goinggreat: 10:36pm On Jan 07, 2012
this man obviously think Nigerians are kids watching cartoons.and maybe he thinks that we are fools.many people here are workers.if he is sincere, why not give exact figures to at least try to earn our trust?he should be able to say I am giving up somuch from my salary.he is being as vague as is possible. besides,all workers know that basic salary is not that much, but when they work out all allowances, the pay shoots up.as well know,is there any political office holder who lives on their salary?the president supposedly earns N3milion per month.we all know that they have their ways of making money-contracts etc. with jona now i know that a phd holder can display less intelligence than a primary school leaver.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by muyoto: 10:37pm On Jan 07, 2012
BTW, hasn't the budget already been made? And its NOW he realizes a pay cut is expedient?  undecided
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by backbelle: 10:38pm On Jan 07, 2012
Think d president deserved to be given a chance at least to prove himself, He needs us more, I can see sabotage in the security issue.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by son5070: 10:38pm On Jan 07, 2012
~Bluetooth:

My advice is that you dont go out there and talk this thrash else you may be mobbed.People are angry and you are preaching.WTF

Do i seem a pastor to you?Can you back up your claim if need be?You don't just type anything on a forum just because you can my friend,that's d message!
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by muyoto: 10:39pm On Jan 07, 2012
Hardunnii:

25% of basic Why not gross

you no want make them chop again?  grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by EvilBrain1(m): 10:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
back belle:

Think d president deserved to be given a chance at least to prove himself, He needs us more, I can see sabotage in the security issue.

He's had over 22 months to prove himself. The only thing he needs to do now is GTFO.

#OccupyNigeria
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by 989900: 10:41pm On Jan 07, 2012
so why are luxurious buses increasing their fare?They use diesel which has deregulated 6years ago!

On the one part it is morally wrong for them to do so (100%+ increase)

On the flip side PMS' pump price would automatically inflate every other market. item and service in the country. They need the extra cash to meet up rents, food, services and e.t.c too.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by gabbytabby: 10:42pm On Jan 07, 2012
Good points if they can be trusted to implement them. With the transportation situation its easy enough to wait and see if this happens in the next week or so.

In very important parts I found his statement to be vague. We need to be able to hold him to account based on the promises and the detail of this appears to all be contained in the subsidy reinvestment and empowerment programme document and this needs to be made available in order to fully know what he is talking about. If anyone comes across this document, please I would be interested to have a look at it.

Personally I think we should give President Jonathan (after the gaffe its really difficult for me to refer to him as Goodluck ever again) an opportunity to right his wrong as all this should have been put forward before or at the time of the subsidy removal. He and his cronies underestimated the anger of the Nigerian people and I hope they have learnt not to pull this kind of totally ignorant crap.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by abbey621(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
We have  a lot of goats and animals here on nairaland, the same people cursing the president now are the ones who praised him heavily at the time of election and who termed him as the saviour. Now, you all want the president to do everything, as if he's a one man army, government is way too big and Jonathan cannot be the one to solve all of Nigeria's problem, the solution starts with sacrifice and good policies such as deregulation, let's deregulate every sector and see if we are not better off, we need to stop thinking about what we can gain now and look at the bigger picture but I can understand the skepticism from Nigerians, the government cannot be trusted and their extravagant spending is completely outrageous, but let's not let that cloud our judgement.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by dayokanu(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
This shameless Retardeen must think we are dumb.

How about the humongous allowances for the executive and legistative arms of govt?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by makonko(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2012
liteleto:

Is that what NairaLand is all about. To come to a public forum and rain abuses on your president. Fuccck NL and fucck y'all.
   Even though i don't support fuel subsidy but to come out and rain abuses on an elderly man like that was not part of my training. Gosh!

It is obvious how well brought up u r. Na wao!

fck ya  cool
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by moshmusth(m): 10:44pm On Jan 07, 2012
GEJ body language lack charisma to carry nigerians along 2, there is not iota of zeal in his speech to make us believe he feels our pain and he is a concerned nigeria 3,the 25% reduction should not apply only to excutives but to all tiers of govt or even make all of them dey receive 18k gan self,  Lastly make we all come out and protest on monday cause ur voice count
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by ARareGem(f): 10:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
I do hope the president remembers that students are at home wasting away because of ASUU strike! Or is he not even aware of the strike? angry
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Remii(m): 10:46pm On Jan 07, 2012
rafhell:

i honestly think we should give GEJ a chance.

the problem is that nigerians are too conservative people who dont like change.

wake up guys and see the reality on ground.

how many past leaders have we given chances? This guys are what they are,
I wonder how people talk of patience and given chances to tormentors as if they have unlimited life spans. Nigeria as it is now, some youths may not do any meaningful work in their active lives. People graduate at age of ~30yrs look for work for another 5 years, get married at ages their parents already finished having 6 children.
Most today's parents would have retired before their kids are out schools, not to talk of getting married.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by mrjingles(m): 10:47pm On Jan 07, 2012
muyoto:

you no want make them chop again?  grin

I tire o! reason has gone out the window and the crowd is baying for blood. The situation now is a like a man who is inflamed with passion for a woman he will not listen to any reason until he sleeps with her, only afterwards will he realize what he has done. UNTIL people have their strike they cannot rest. But it will all be for a waste cos nothing will change. Labour just dey do gragra to save face. I doubt if this Govt. will allow them have a dignified exit out of this one, they may well end up a discredited bunch.

Two cars are heading for a collision and neither driver wants to brake.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by omicron(m): 10:48pm On Jan 07, 2012
Speech lacks details. So how much does the 25% pay cut amount to?! Cause that is what matters
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by SILAKABUWA: 10:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
GEJ CUTS 25% of NATIONAL ASSEMBLY SALARY, THEY FIX AN EMERGENCY MEETING tomorrow grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by yd849ja: 10:49pm On Jan 07, 2012
What a joke of a speech! Who ever wrote this speech should be sacked forthwith and I have to admit the future of this country is surely bleak if these are the kinds of thoughts that goes into ruling this country. I was hoping to hear concrete measures of developing this Nation all he talks about is 25% reduction in his salary. I was expecting him to withdraw his proposed budget and talk about alternate mode of transportation, electricity generation to the tune of 30 000megawatt in the next 3yrs, road infrastructure and networks, social welfare for the unemployed, good health care facilities, modified and improve tax structure of making the rich pay more and diversifybthe economy etc. He's here talking about sacrifice and feeling our pain. We don't need you to empathise with us we want you to start acting and earn our trust not this charade of a speech n 1600 buses, for what? If I may ask. The same buses Obasanjo released where are they and what did they achieve. Our leaders truly don't know what governance is all about.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by DRANOEL(m): 10:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
25% basic of the executive arm;president,vp sgf,ministers,sa's etc combined is not upto 125million! why didnt the fisher tell us that he's not going to collect allowances again and he's going to feed,clothe etc from his salary like the rest of us do?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by stiyke(m): 10:51pm On Jan 07, 2012
Nigerians are spoilt kids.
Ghana removed their subsidy and am wondering why they didnt occupy their country?? Maybe its Nairaland Nigerians that are very lazy.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Remii(m): 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
SILAKABUWA:

GEJ CUTS 25% of NATIONAL ASSEMBLY SALARY, THEY FIX AN EMERGENCY MEETING tomorrow grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

those  NASS members sef, they are always on recess when Nigeria is in crises. I wonder when they work.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by cgem: 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2012
Dear Compatriots: 1.     A week ago, I had cause to address Nigerians on the security challenges we are facing in parts of the country, which necessitated the declaration of a state of emergency in 15 Local Government Areas in four states of the Federation. That course of action attracted widespread support and a demonstration of understanding. With that declaration, government had again signaled its intention to combat terrorism with renewed vigour and to assure every Nigerian of safety.

QUESTION: HAS STATE OF EMERGENCY SOLVED KILLINGS OF NIGERIANS IN TOWN HALL MEETING TWO DAYS AGO IN ADAMAWA?
HAS IT MADE NIGERIANS FEEL SAFER? HAS IT STOPPED THE POLICE (SECURITY OPERATIVES) FROM KILLING INNOCENT NIGERIANS?

2.    The support that we have received in the fight against terrorism from concerned Nigerians at home and abroad has been remarkable. We believe that it is with such continued support that progress can be made on national issues. Let me express my heartfelt appreciation to everyone who has expressed a commitment to support us as we strive to improve on the country’s security situation, and build a stronger foundation for the future.  The recent mindless acts of violence in Gombe, Potiskum, Jimeta-Yola and Mubi are unfortunate. I urge all Nigerians to eschew bitterness and acrimony and live together in harmony and peace. Wherever there is any threat to public peace, our security agencies will enforce the law, without fear or favour.

WHO ARE THESE GHOST PEOPLE THAT HAVE SUPPORTED YOU? HOW HAVE YOUR SECURITY AGENCIES ENFORCED THE LAW? THEY JUST KILLED AN INNOCENT PROTESTER SOME DAYS AGO? ARE YOU SO DUMB THAT YOU DID NOT EVEN CARE TO MENTION HIM IN YOUR SILLY SPEECH?

3.    This evening, I address you, again, with much concern over an issue that borders on the national economy, the oil industry and national progress.  As part of our efforts to transform the economy and guarantee prosperity for all Nigerians, Government, a few days ago, announced further deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. The immediate effect of this has been the removal of the subsidy on petrol.

YOU SO HAVE CONCERN FOR THE ECONOMY INDEED WHEN YOUR FOOD BUDGET IS OVER $6MILLION, THAT MONEY IS ENOUGH TO HAVE A DECENT CANCER CENTER FOR NIGERIAN. CONCERN FOR THE ECONOMY MY FOOT!

4.    Since the announcement, there have been mixed reactions to the policy. Let me seize this opportunity to assure all Nigerians that I feel the pain that you all feel.  I personally feel pained to see the sharp increase in transport fares and the prices of goods and services. I share the anguish of all persons who had travelled out of their stations, who had to pay more on the return leg of their journeys.

IF 5% OF NIGERIANS SUPPORT THE SUBSIDY REMOVAL AND 95% SAY NO TO IT, WILL WE CALL THAT MIXED? WHEN YOU SAY MIXED REACTIONS IT SUGGEST 50:50 OR ALMOST ON BOTH SIDES. HOW DO YOU SHARE THE ANGUISH OF NIGERIANS WHO TRAVELED? DO YOU EVEN KNOW THAT IT IS NOT JUST THE HIGH TRANSPORT COST, IT IS ALSO THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE TO GRAPPLE WITH BAD ROADS AND ARMED ROBBERS ON THE HIGH WAYS? HAVE YOU EVER SHARED THAT BEFORE? STOP LYING JOE ODECHUKWU!

5.    If I were not here to lead the process of national renewal, if I were in your shoes at this moment, I probably would have reacted in the same manner as some of our compatriots, or hold the same critical views about government.  But I need to use this opportunity as your President to address Nigerians on the realities on the ground, and why we chose to act as we did. I know that these are not easy times. But tough choices have to be made to safeguard the economy and our collective survival as a nation.

YOU ARE NOT IN OUR SHOES SO JUST SHUT UP! THEY ARE SO EASY TIMES FOR YOU AS YOU WALLOW IN PROFLIGACY! OFCOURSE IT IS SO OBVIOUS THEY ARE NOT EASY TIMES FOR NIGERIA, DON'T YOU GET? YOU ARE STATING THE OBVIOUS WE DON'T NEED TO HEAR THAT!

6.     My fellow Nigerians, the truth is that we are all faced with two basic choices with regard to the management of the downstream petroleum sector: either we deregulate and survive economically, or we continue with a subsidy regime that will continue to undermine our economy and potential for growth, and face serious consequences.

THAT IS NOTHING BUT A LIE! IF IT WERE EVEN TRUE, THEN NIGERIANS WILL CHOOSE THE 2ND OPTION DUMMY!

7.    As you all know, the subject of deregulation is not new, we have been grappling with it for more than two decades. Previous administrations tinkered with the pump price of petroleum products, and were unable to effect complete deregulation of the downstream sector. This approach has not worked.  If it did, we would not be here talking about deregulation today. I understand fully well that deregulation is not a magic formula that will address every economic challenge, but it provides a good entry point for transforming the economy, and for ensuring transparency and competitiveness in the oil industry, which is the mainstay of our economy.

TRANSPARENCY? TELL THAT TO YOUR WIFE THAT WAS CAUGHT WITH MONEY!

8.    As a President, elected and supported by ordinary Nigerians, and the vast majority of our people, I have a duty to bring up policies and programmes that will grow the economy and bring about greater benefits for the people.  Let me assure you that as your President, I have no intention to inflict pain on Nigerians.

THIS IS JUST LIKE WHIPPING AN INNOCENT CHILD AND TELLING HIM YOU HAVE NO INTENTION TO INFLICT PAIN ON HIM. ARE YOU THAT DUMB? HABA JONA!

9.     The deregulation of the petroleum sector is a necessary step that we had to take. Should we continue to do things the same way, and face more serious economic challenges? Or deregulate, endure the initial discomfort and reap better benefits later? I want to assure every Nigerian that whatever pain you may feel at the moment, will be temporary.

RIGHT NOW THERE IS SERIOUS ECONOMIC CHALLENGE IN THE LAND! NO SIGNS IT WILL GET BETTER IN THE MEDIUM OR LONG TERM, SO STOP RANTING THIS CRAP

10.    The interest of the ordinary people of this country will always remain topmost in my priorities as a leader. I remain passionately committed to achieving significant and enduring improvements in our economy that will lead to sustained improvement in the lives of our people.

INTEREST OF THE ELITES YOU MEAN? IMPROVEMENTS IN WHOSE LIVES? TO MAKE YOUR WIFE KEEP GROWING FATTER AND PERHAPS BURST ONE DAY?

11.    I am determined to leave behind a better Nigeria, which we all can be proud of. To do so, I must make sure that we have the resources and the means to grow our economy to be resilient, and to sustain improved livelihood for our people. We must act in the public interest, no matter how tough, for the pains of today cannot be compared to the benefits of tomorrow.  On assumption of office as President, I swore to an oath to always act in the best interest of the people. I remain faithful to that undertaking.

IN ACTUAL FACT YOU ARE LEAVING BEHIND A BY FAR WORSE NIGERIA. YOUR PRESIDENCY HAS MADE ABACHA AN ANGEL! THANKS TO YOUR BADLUCK!

12.     To save Nigeria, we must all be prepared to make sacrifices.  On the part of Government, we are taking several measures aimed at cutting the size and cost of governance, including on-going and continuous effort to reduce the size of our recurrent expenditure and increase capital spending. In this regard, I have directed that overseas travels by all political office holders, including the President, should be reduced to the barest minimum. The size of delegations on foreign trips will also be drastically reduced; only trips that are absolutely necessary will be approved.

THIS ARE NOT MEASURABLE GOALS! HOW COME YOU KNEW THIS AND TOOK 200 GOVT OFFICIALS TO AUSTRALIA, NOT JUST THAT ONE OF THEM DISGRACED US BY SEXUALLY ASSAULTING ONE OF THE HOTELIERS IN SYDNEY? TELL THIS ONLY TO FOOLS! MY GUESS IS THAT NIGERIANS ARE NO LONGER FOOLS!

13.    For the year 2012, the basic salaries of all political office holders in the Executive arm of government will be reduced by 25%. Government is also currently reviewing the number of committees, commissions and parastatals with overlapping responsibilities. The Report on this will be submitted shortly and the recommendations will be promptly implemented. In the meantime, all Ministries, Departments and Agencies must reduce their overhead expenses.

OH MY GOSH! MR PRESIDENT WE ALL KNOW THAT BASIC SALARY IS NOTHING COMPARED TO HUGE MONSTROUS ALLOWANCES! NOW I CAN SEE YOU THINK NIGERIANS ARE DUMB AND FOOLISH!

14.    We are all greatly concerned about the issue of corruption. The deregulation policy is the strongest measure to tackle this challenge in the downstream sector. In addition, government is taking other steps to further sanitize the oil industry.

CONCERNED ABOUT THE ISSUE OF CORRUPTION? AND YET ALAMESEIGHA IS YOUR SPECIAL ADVISER? HABA MR PRESIDENT! THIS IS PLAIN STUPID STATEMENT WE HAVE HEARD TIME AND TIME AGAIN, AND IT NOW LOOKS LIKE A BEE BUZZING OUR EARS! WE ARE TIRED OF THIS PHRASE!

15.    To ensure that the funds from petroleum subsidy removal are spent prudently on projects that will build a greater Nigeria, I have established a committee to oversee the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme. I sincerely believe that the reinvestment of the petroleum subsidy funds, to ensure improvement in national infrastructure, power supply, transportation, irrigation and agriculture, education, healthcare, and other social services, is in the best interest of our people.

HAHAHAHA! COMITTEE AGAIN? FELLOW NIGERIANS HOW MANY COMITTEES HAVE GOVERNMENT SET UP? ARE THEY SUCCESSESS OR FAILURES? MY GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE! JONA THIS IS THE ZENITH OF IT. WHAT HAVE THE SEVERAL COMMITTEES SET UP IN JOS DONE? PLEASE TELL THIS TO BUSH RATS!

16.    Fellow Nigerians, I know that the removal of the petroleum subsidy imposes an initial burden on our people, especially the rising cost of transportation.  Government will be vigilant and act decisively to curb the excesses of those that want to exploit the current situation for selfish gains.  I plead for the understanding of all Nigerians.  I appeal to our youth not to allow mischief-makers to exploit present circumstances to mislead or incite them to disturb public peace.

WHO ARE THE MISCHIEF-MAKERS? YOU MUST BE JOKING! NAIJA YOUTHS THIS IS YOUR TIME TO TAKE BACK THE COUNTRY IN YOUR HANDS, FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE UNBORN NIGERIANS! WE HAVE BE RULED BY CRIMINALS AND ROUGES!

17.     To address the immediate challenges that have been identified, I have directed all Ministries, Departments and Agencies of government to embark immediately on all projects, which have been designed to cushion the impact of the subsidy removal in the short, medium and long-term, as outlined in the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme Document.

LOOK WHO IS TALKING? "WE HAVE IDENTIFIED" WHO CREATED THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE? IS IT NOT THE PRESIDENCY? IS JUST LIKE A DAD WHO SEES HE SON EVERYDAY, SUDDENLY WAKES UP ONE MORNING AND SAY "I HAVE IDENTIFIED MY SON" GIVE ME A BREAK!

18.     Tomorrow, 8th January, I will formally launch a robust mass transit intervention programme to bring down the cost of transportation across the country. The programme will be implemented in partnership with state and local governments, labour unions, transport owners, and banking institutions, and supported with the provision of funding at zero interest rate as well as import duty waiver on all needed parts for locally-made mass transit vehicles, which will create additional jobs in the economy.

IN ACTUAL FACT, NIGERIANS ARE WAITING FOR THE 9TH WHEN THEY WILL SHUT DOWN THE COUNTRY. NO ONE IS LOOKING FORWARD TO 8TH AND WHAT YOU WILL DO THEN!

19.    We will keep these incentives in place for as long as it takes. I want to assure you that Government will not rest until we bring down the cost of transportation for our people.  Let me thank the transporters’ associations that have agreed to reduce transport fares. I have directed the Minister of Labour and Productivity to work with these associations to come up with a sustainable plan to guarantee this within the shortest possible time.

CRAP

20.     In addition, I have ordered the mobilization of contractors for the full rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt –Maiduguri Railway Line and the completion of the Lagos-Kano Railway Line. I have also directed the immediate commencement of a Public Works programme that will engage the services of about 10, 000 youths in every state of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory. This will create an additional 370, 000 jobs.

HAHAAH, NIGERIANS DON'T BE FOOLED AGAIN. GOVERNMENTS HAVE SAID THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. LET US SEE IT! ENOUGH OF TALK!

21.    Government has taken these decisions in the best interest of our economy, so that we not only have benefits today, but to ensure that we bequeath even greater benefits to our children and grandchildren.

DECISIONS THAT HAVE ACCUMULATED WEALTH FOR YOUR GENERATIONS TO COME ABI? RUBBISH!

22.     Let me assure Nigerians that every possible effort will be made to ensure that we march forward, with a collective resolve to build a Nigeria that can generate greater economic growth, create and sustain new jobs, and secure the future of our children.

TELL ME ONE NEW JOB YOU HAVE CREATED SINCE YOU BECAME PRESIDENT? I GUESS YOU HAVE GENERATED JOBS WERE PEOPLE ARE RECRUITED TO BE SUICIDE BOMBERS!

23.     This Administration will aggressively implement its programme to reposition and strengthen our economy, while paying adequate attention to the immediate needs of our citizens.

SAVE ME READING TIME
24.     I assure you all that we will work towards achieving full domestic refining of petroleum products with the attendant benefits.

25.     As I ask for the full understanding of all Nigerians, I also promise that I will keep my word.

26.    Thank you. May God bless you; and may God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA TOO, AND GOD BLESS THE OCCUPY MOVEMENT, NAIJA HACTIVIST, DIASPORANS AND ALL NIGERIANS THAT HAVE JOINE IN THIS MOVEMENT TO SEE THAT OUR FUTURE IS NOT DASHED BY ROUGES AND CRIMINALS. #OCCUPY NIGERIA WE WILL AND OCCUPY NIGERIA WE MUST!

Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR
President
Federal Republic of Nigeria
January 7, 2012

EMBARGOED: NOT FOR BROADCAST BEFORE 9.00PM, JANUARY 7, 2012
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by muyoto: 10:53pm On Jan 07, 2012
DRANOEL:

25% basic of the executive arm;president,vp sgf,ministers,sa's etc combined is not upto 125million! why didnt the fisher tell us that he's not going to collect allowances again and he's going to feed,clothe etc from his salary like the rest of us do?

Are you sure of this? is it per month or per year?
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Moreti(m): 10:54pm On Jan 07, 2012
I am still shocked on what some Nigerian pple are askin for and wishing for.

My point is, paying corrupt oil thieves (subsidy) is not what we shuld be quarrelling and wanting to be rversed, not at all. A subsidy that cannot be audited and monitored because they all have papers from the ports, and PPPRA pays by dcuments (fake papers gotten through bribes) and even if you take them to court, no evidience becuase they have signed papers from the port.

I assure you all the big boys in NNPC, DPR, PPPRA have fake oil companies which we pay "subsidy"to without bringing in one drop of PMS.

Little wonder the subsidy money keeps increasing every year, becuase more people "eye" dey open, all uneed do is register a company, bribe your way through DPR, NNPC, PPPRA and BOOM you start getting fuel subsidy.

Shuld we be fighting for reversal of payment to oil thieves (subsidy)? This is one good thing that has ever happened in thei country and am still amzed at how Jonathan can do this.

This is a right step and we shuld not be fighting for its reversal, becuae it means we shuld continue paying few already rich corrupt pple that u cannot track, rather we shuld fight for the subsidy to be reversed to the pockets of the masses. Yes we will buy the fuel at whatever market rate, butt he government shuold subsidise by:

1. Increase minimum wage - to buffer the increase in PMS
2. Pay walfare or oil subsidy walfare (something like that)
3. provide alternative transport.
4. and any other thing that will directly benefit the ordinary nigerian not the other way round.

This what we shuld strike for, not to strike for govt to continue paying corrupt money (I wonda y Jona is even insisting not ot reverse, after all they will benefit more)

Another reason we should fight and strike is for their allowances and salaries/benefits to be reveiewed and government spendings, audited and make them accountable. this are beta reasons to fight.

NLC shuld fight for the subsidies to be paid to the masses as listed above and for govt benefits and spendings to be reduced and made accountable and auditable, that is a good fight, not to be fighting that subsidy shld be paid to pple who hav been feeding fat.

Am out.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by stiyke(m): 10:57pm On Jan 07, 2012
[size=20pt]The last i heard Allowances are calculated from basic salary
Why is Ghana not protesting their subsidy removal??[/size]
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by muyoto: 10:57pm On Jan 07, 2012
SILAKABUWA:

LMAO!!  grin grin
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by oiseworld: 10:58pm On Jan 07, 2012
even if JESUS dies the second time, those who would believe would believe, and does who wouldn't still wouldn't. same tin goes for Jona, if he cuts himself with a knife you still would't believe him.

strike or no strike, the removal of subsidy has come to stay. CHIKENA!!!!

who dey vex make he go die.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 07, 2012
lmao,
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by mrjingles(m): 11:01pm On Jan 07, 2012
stiyke:

[size=20pt]The last i heard Allowances are calculated from basic salary
Why is Ghana not protesting their subsidy removal??[/size]

Makes you wonder if most posters are in formal employment and how many therefore pay any tax, we shout about our rights but forget to carry out our obligations. Whoever has taxable income but does not pay tax has no right to carryout ANY kind of protest because those paying taxes are already subsidizing them, asking for fuel subsidy on top of that is too much. How many of us will tolerate a pay cut of 25%? Guy if anybody touch 25% of my anything whether basic or allowance I go wound person.

what is happening in Nigeria reminds me of a book titled Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. Hysteria is the only word that comes to mind, people are shouting and thumping the table demanding that graft should continue, that govt should continue to piss away money in the name of subsidy. Madness of crowds indeed.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by 989900: 11:02pm On Jan 07, 2012
I am still shocked on what some Nigerian pple are askin for and wishing for.

My point is, paying corrupt oil thieves (subsidy) is not what we shuld be quarrelling and wanting to be rversed, not at all. A subsidy that cannot be audited and monitored because they all have papers from the ports, and PPPRA pays by dcuments (fake papers gotten through bribes) and even if you take them to court, no evidience becuase they have signed papers from the port.

I assure you all the big boys in NNPC, DPR, PPPRA have fake oil companies which we pay "subsidy"to without bringing in one drop of PMS.

Little wonder the subsidy money keeps increasing every year, becuase more people "eye" dey open, all uneed do is register a company, bribe your way through DPR, NNPC, PPPRA and BOOM you start getting fuel subsidy.

Shuld we be fighting for reversal of payment to oil thieves (subsidy)? This is one good thing that has ever happened in thei country and am still amzed at how Jonathan can do this.

This is a right step and we shuld not be fighting for its reversal, becuae it means we shuld continue paying few already rich corrupt pple that u cannot track, rather we shuld fight for the subsidy to be reversed to the pockets of the masses. Yes we will buy the fuel at whatever market rate, butt he government shuold subsidise by:

1. Increase minimum wage - to buffer the increase in PMS
2. Pay walfare or oil subsidy walfare (something like that)
3. provide alternative transport.
4. and any other thing that will directly benefit the ordinary nigerian not the other way round.

This what we shuld strike for, not to strike for govt to continue paying corrupt money (I wonda y Jona is even insisting not ot reverse, after all they will benefit more)

Another reason we should fight and strike is for their allowances and salaries/benefits to be reveiewed and government spendings, audited and make them accountable. this are beta reasons to fight.

NLC shuld fight for the subsidies to be paid to the masses as listed above and for govt benefits and spendings to be reduced and made accountable and auditable, that is a good fight, not to be fighting that subsidy shld be paid to pple who hav been feeding fat.

Am out.

If and when you have the time, take your time to read all the posts from pg 1 might give you a clearer perspective of what the people want and what this gov't 's about.
Re: Fuel Subsidy Removal: President Goodluck Jonathan's Speech by Darey00(m): 11:02pm On Jan 07, 2012
Though fuel subsidy removal is d right step 4 9ja,i dont think it is feasible right nw. Nigerians,get ur acts 2geda! Dnt let us neglect BH,dey r killing us in tens daily! Pls,GEJ, handle d issue of security very tight,i beg u!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Emeka Nworie Killed By Boko Haram In Sambisa Forest (pics) / Reps In Free-for-all As Gbajabiamila Suspends Plenary / Zahra And Ahmed Indimi At Rahma's 40th Birthday (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.