Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,955 members, 7,866,597 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 09:01 PM

The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman (2981 Views)

Which Tribe Is The Promiscuous In Women? / Why Are Most Tattooed Nigerian Ladies Aggressively Rude, Unreliable&Promiscuous? / Casual Sex: The Most Promiscuous Cities In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by emofine2(f): 3:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
Notions of the s[i]e[/i]xu[i]a[/i]l status of a man and a woman seem to lay in contrast with one another. Negative perceptions are often attached to the promiscuous woman/virgin male whereas when these roles are exchanged within the genders - i.e. The "stud"/virgin woman - are generally met with approval.

I've observed that it's not unusual for a man who has had numerous s[i]e[/i]xu[i]a[/i]l partners to be met with compliments whilst the reverse is the case for the woman equivalent.
Alternatively, female virgins are usually regarded highly whereas male virgins often times are sneered at.

-why should gender be a factor in how certain roles are determined/received?

-why is there a value attached to a woman's chastity but a man's sexuality?
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
E mo fine! smiley
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by OK2NV: 5:09pm On Jan 08, 2012
mammal males evolved  a nutt-sack for one reason.
think of a nutsack as a fuel tank.
male species suddenly could get more mileage.
we were made to plough as many fields.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 08, 2012
it's all about history. back then women had no rights.
we were but property and here solely for the purpose of baring children.
the number of wives/children a man had was a physical representation of his
status, wealth and actually showed off his being potent. grin  grin The male Ego
and appealing to it, is actually the oldest religion  grin Back then and for the majority
of the world that still practice traditional customs, a man's name is VERY important.
His children and wife/wives MUST have good reputations so as not to taint his name.

In the west culture is not necessarily the factor behind the mentality but still,

if you were a man who wanted to be the "big dog" would you rather have the "wh0rish
vulgar baby mama" or the "de-virgined by me innocent perfect sweetie pie"?  tongue

the years and times have changed but the mentality has not. regardless of your cultural
or religious background it all remains the same. women are regarded as the receivers
of s3x and therefore should be "clean and virtuous" regardless of the status of her male
counterpart.

No it's not fair but we women are actually our biggest critics. We provide the platform for other
women to be ridiculed. Not calling any names, but it's like one NLder who lied on another female
in order to "awe" the spectators and questioned her s3xuality and values in hopes that the men will
chip in. lol so it's actually more complex than we think.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Mynd44: 5:52pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^
The sad reality
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 08, 2012
Mynd_44:

^^^
The sad reality

yah man!! but it's life.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Mynd44: 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^
Too bad the afterlive ain't any better
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jan 08, 2012
Mynd_44:

^^

pessimist aren't we? undecided
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by lolaluv1(f): 7:01pm On Jan 08, 2012
The human language itself is sexist in nature! And this is pari passu to a sexist society. Because attitude and belief is embedded in language!
For example:

Oko Ashawo which is used for males ends up being a compliment.
Ashawo, when used on a female becomes abuse!

Also, an unmarried man is described forever as a bachelor. While an unmarried woman passes from being described as a spinster to an old maid. Old maid connotes dried up and undesirable, while bachelor connotes freedom and desirability.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 08, 2012
lola.luv:

The human language itself is sexist in nature! And this is pari passu to a sexist society. Because attitude and belief is embedded in language!

Oko Ashawo which is used for males ends up being a compliment.
Ashawo, when used on a female becomes abuse!

Also, an unmarried man is described forever as a bachelor. While an unmarried woman passes from being described as a spinster to an old maid. Old maid connotes dried up and undesirable, while bachelor connotes freedom and desirability.

beautiful point however one female Nlder in particular living in Aussie kind of justifies that stereotype grin grin
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by lolaluv1(f): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

beautiful point however one female Nlder in particular living in Aussie kind of justifies that stereotype  grin grin

What the ?
Let me escape before the bullets start flying o!!
cheesy grin lipsrsealed
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 08, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lipsrsealed
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Mynd44: 8:16pm On Jan 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

pessimist aren't we? undecided
You think the afterlive is fair?
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by emofine2(f): 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2012
So from what I'm reading the structure of such role could be appropriated to biological disposition/nature and tradition  . . .

It's interesting however that certain things which would be met with approval can suddenly be rendered as something appalling once the protagonist has a different gender.

sexkillz:

E mo fine! smiley

kedu? wink

Mynd_44:

How did you come to such conclusion? You been there and back? undecided

OK2NV:

mammal males evolved  a nutt-sack for one reason.
think of a nutsack as a fuel tank.
male species suddenly could get more mileage.
we were made to plough as many fields.

Now they don strip una of subsidy tongue sad
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Mynd44: 8:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^
i might have been there and back
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by claremont(m): 8:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
emöfine:

So from what I'm reading[size=14pt] the structure of such role could be appropriated to biological disposition/nature and tradition [/size] . . .

. . . and more importantly, it is biblical for women to ALWAYS be submissive to men grin;---- Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in EVERYTHING.

The origins of sexism is in the Bible.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 9:07pm On Jan 08, 2012
claremont:

. . . and more importantly, it is biblical for women to ALWAYS be submissive to men grin;---- Ephesians 5:22-24 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in EVERYTHING.

LMAO! grin Atheist dey quote bible as e reach woman matter. . . Chei!
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 08, 2012
emöfine:

kedu? wink

Odinma! Giwa kwanu? cheesy
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by coogar: 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2012
emöfine:

Notions of the s[i]e[/i]xu[i]a[/i]l status of a man and a woman seem to lay in contrast with one another. Negative perceptions are often attached to the promiscuous woman/virgin male whereas when these roles are exchanged within the genders - i.e. The "stud"/virgin woman - are generally met with approval.

I've observed that it's not unusual for a man who has had numerous s[i]e[/i]xu[i]a[/i]l partners to be met with compliments whilst the reverse is the case for the woman equivalent.
Alternatively, female virgins are usually regarded highly whereas male virgins often times are sneered at.

-why should gender be a factor in how certain roles are determined/received?

-why is there a value attached to a woman's chastity but a man's sexuality?

man - stronger sex
woman - weaker sex

man - predator
woman - prey.

predators are hailed with the number of preys they kill.
preys get accolades for the number of predators they evade.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 08, 2012
Mynd_44:

You think the afterlive is fair?

yes sweetie because you see women get 72 male virgins after death. wink wink

sexkillz:

LMAO! grin Atheist dey quote bible as e reach woman matter. . . Chei!

i could have told you LONG TIME that claremont is full of it!!
the guy is as much of an atheist as I am Somali tongue tongue grin
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by emofine2(f): 10:21pm On Jan 08, 2012
@ Coogar Interesting. Sound analogy.

@ Claremont, yeah I guess religion has also been an influence to that mould.

sexkillz:

Odinma! Giwa kwanu? cheesy

I no know Igbo like that o. In english biko embarassed

MsDarkSkin:

yes sweetie because you see women get 72 male virgins after death.  wink wink

Really? I thought it was only a few but not up to double digits lol. . .
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

i could have told you LONG TIME that claremont is full of it!!
the guy is as much of an atheist as I am Somali tongue tongue grin
grin grin
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

it's all about history. back then women had no rights.
we were but property and here solely for the purpose of baring children.
the number of wives/children a man had was a physical representation of his
status, wealth and actually showed off his being potent. grin  grin The male Ego
and appealing to it, is actually the oldest religion  grin Back then and for the majority
of the world that still practice traditional customs, a man's name is VERY important.
His children and wife/wives MUST have good reputations so as not to taint his name.

In the west culture is not necessarily the factor behind the mentality but still,

if you were a man who wanted to be the "big dog" would you rather have the "wh0rish
vulgar baby mama" or the "de-virgined by me innocent perfect sweetie pie"?  tongue

the years and times have changed but the mentality has not. regardless of your cultural
or religious background it all remains the same. women are regarded as the receivers
of s3x and therefore should be "clean and virtuous" regardless of the status of her male
counterpart.

No it's not fair but we women are actually our biggest critics. We provide the platform for other
women to be ridiculed. Not calling any names, but it's like one NLder who lied on another female
in order to "awe" the spectators and questioned her s3xuality and values in hopes that the men will
chip in. lol so it's actually more complex than we think.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2012
^^^your arguments fall flat when you regard the Spartan society where women enjoyed almost equal rights as men, were no tool for child-bearing, and certainly no physical representation of a man's wealth or social status. Yet praises were sung of virgins by men and women alike!
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by emofine2(f): 1:17am On Jan 09, 2012
sauer:

^^^your arguments fall flat when you regard the Spartan society where women enjoyed almost equal rights as men, were no tool for child-bearing, and certainly no physical representation of a man's wealth or social status. Yet praises were sung of virgins by men and women alike!

Interesting.
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Mynd44: 9:21am On Jan 09, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

That makes the afterlive unfair. They would ravage your punny so badly, you would wish for the pains of live itself
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 2:27am On Jan 10, 2012
emöfine:

Really? I thought it was only a few but not up to double digits lol. . .

LOL!! 72 to choose from! We women are picky you know  wink

sauer:

dude seriously? grin let's talk the REAL FACTS!! I am well aware of Spartan history and the freedom of the women compared to other Greek women, however the women still had their roles to play. None could call shots in gov't (unless the men were off to fight a war) or run the clan yet they were able to go to school and enjoy rights like their male counterparts. EVERY Spartan woman would strive to birth healthy sons as opposed to daughters due to their tribe's reputation of producing strong and fierce male warriors hence their women being required to be physically fit as they believed a strong woman would give birth to a strong son. Every woman was raised to respect every male and women's influence was felt mostly IN THE HOUSEHOLD. The society was still patriarchal no matter how you flip the coin.

Goddesses are nothing new or unique to the Spartans, look @ the yoruba tribe. There were female deities and mythical Goddesses yet women dare not try to pass their places or force their rights to be equal to a man. And ancient egypt too had goddesses yet NO woman dared be aspire to be a priest or pharaoh. In all three societies as with the rest of the world men were still regarded as the "top dogs and shot callers". Also men were able to wed as many women they wanted to. Again Sparta only differs in that women could file for divorce however unlike the men they could only have one partner at a time, only allowed to engage in 'ok'd' wife sharing-affairs (permitted by the husbands) to produce strong sons for other childless men in order to produce strong boys for their tribe. (WEIRD!! LOL)

On a global scale disrespect, double standard and second class citizenry of women is ancient and present. The past has everything to do with the bull women still face today.

Mynd_44:

That makes the afterlive unfair. They would ravage your punny so badly, you would wish for the pains of live itself

dude, go to bed  grin
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by Nobody: 3:16am On Jan 10, 2012
MsDarkSkin:

dude what did one tribe in Greece have to do with the attitudes of the rest of the ancient world? what is your point?? seriously. I am well aware of Spartan history and the freedom of the women compared to other Greek women, however the women still had their roles to play. None could call shots in gov't or run the clan yet they were able to go to school and enjoy rights like their male counterparts. EVERY Spartan woman would strive to birth healthy sons as opposed to daughters due to their tribe reputation of producing strong and fierce male warriors hence their women being required to be physically fit as they believed a strong woman would give birth to a strong son. Every woman was raised to respect every male. The society was still patriarchal no matter how you flip the coin.

Goddesses are nothing new or unique to the Spartans, look @ the yoruba tribe. female deities and mythical Goddesses yet women dare not try to behave or act like a man, ancient egypt too had goddesses yet NO woman dared be aspire to be a priest or pharaoh. In all three societies as with the rest of the world men were still regarded as the "top dogs and shot callers". Also men were able to wed as many women they wanted to. Again Sparta only differs in that women could file for divorce however unlike the men they could only have one partner at a time.  cool

On a global scale disrespect, double standard and second class citizenry of women is ancient and present. The past has everything to do with the bull women still face today.

Actually, it's high time people stopped tying every bit of societal "incongruity" to patriarchy. Some things are better explained with other arguments. My points? it's simply that negative connotations associated with "the virgin male" or "the promiscuous woman" do not necessarily have anything to do with how lofty men have been held or how denigrating women have been treated  over the centuries. Even today, in western societies, where free ideas hold sway and male domination almost vanishing, these connotations remain. How then could patriarchy play a role?
You see, it's the habit of many women to immediately hold history responsible when they are short of explanations for many a thing. Just so you know, even in societies where matriarchy is tradition, such as that of the Iroquois, these connotations exist. And a woman virgin always meets societal approval. So, it's best to quit thinking too often along those worn-out lines.

And indeed, in ancient Sparta, women did call the shots sometimes. Yes, there were priestesses of high positions in ancient Egypt. And aren't there indications there may have been women pharoahs?

My point really is, societies of old did take different forms, with women assuming positions of leadership in some. Certainly, men exercised greater authority, but whether a society was patriarchal or dominated by women has little to do with the topic: that male virgins and promiscuous women are negatively regarded. This, in my own opinion, is as a result of something entirely different, and for which a sound argument can be made!
Re: The Virgin Male And The Promiscuous Woman by gst101: 7:11pm On Apr 18, 2012
@ emofine
it will interest you to know that women are the very ones who spit at a man being virgin. Ask a woman if she wants a man who's virgin as a husband and you will be suprised at the response you will get. My mother told a couple of ladies that i have never done it before and the ladies made mockery of me. I felt so embarrased.
So men or patriarchy is not what is responsible for the stereotype. I hate it so much when women try to blame men for all the things gender based. The sort of hatred i have for it cannot be quantified.

(1) (Reply)

Co-habitation / Disadvantages Of Being Beautiful / Woman With 3 bosom Speaks On The Challanges Of Having Extra Tit (with Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.