Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

I Want To Drop Out Of School - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Want To Drop Out Of School (11530 Views)

When You Are A Drop Out In Nigeria (picture) / Shekarau Meets Commissioners Over Extension Of School Holiday (Ebola Prevention) / OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by tpia5: 9:56pm On Jan 11, 2012
'We need an education'

The scene reveals the desperation of many South Africans to get an education.

In the past 24 hours, the university has taken 9,000 late applications, competing for around 800 places.

"I fell and lost my footing, I couldn't breathe," said one student, who did not want to give her name for fear of jeopardising her chances of a university place.

She was among other students who had been there all night queuing swapped stories of their experiences.

Showing us a mark on her cheek, she said: "I had someone tread on the side of my face. I was crying, completely not knowing what to do or how to get out."

Johannesburg police have confirmed 22 others were injured in the stampede. University officials say the application procedure has now closed.

These places were a vital lifeline for poor students, Prof Rensburg explained, as they do not receive help or advice on how to apply from a public school system which has very low expectations for its mainly black pupils.

Late applicants often come from areas where students are not expected to continue their education after high school and so may have missed the deadline.

Others do not expect to pass, so when they do, they rush to try for a place.

Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by tpia5: 9:58pm On Jan 11, 2012
"We must do everything possible for a community that simply doesn't have access to information," Prof Rensburg said.

However, in a hastily arranged press conference, South Africa's education minister said that the government was considering halting last-minute university applications after Tuesday's tragedy.

"It's something that we are seriously considering. We think that the price we are paying is too much," the minister, Blade Nzimande, said.

Adam Habib, another vice-chancellor at the university, said: "If we close it down, we close hope for the most desperate of people."

Even if black families can afford the fees, they may not have the culture of saving for university, or even the confidence that their child will make it.

"So when they do get the results, and realise they can afford it after all, they suddenly rush to see if they can get into university," he added.

The problem is not limited to Johannesburg. Further south, the University of KwaZulu-Natal had 60,000 applications for 9,000 undergraduate level places this year.

South Africa's universities are hugely oversubscribed, with more than 180,000 high school graduates failing to find a place this year.

The education minister has promised previously to increase the number of places but critics of the government point out a lack of action to match those words.

After the stampede and before the application process ended, I asked Phumzi, 22, from Soweto, if it was still worth the risk.

"I think it is worth it. It's my only chance," she said.

"I am even walking on my feet with no shoes. I lost them in the stampede but I'm not giving up."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16496892
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by freecocoa(f): 10:20pm On Jan 11, 2012
Na wa o see how they just deleted all my posts alongside the advice I gave,well since this is a mature section I'll maturely go ahead and give another one despite all that has transpired since the inception of this thread.

@OP, you've pretty much been told everything you need to hear so I'll not say much cos I'm a woman of few words,I'm sure you know that by now. Alright this is your future we are talking about here so its no joke.

You may not see the importance of school now but I bet you,years from now you'll know that being educated is one of the best things to happen to you.
I know school can be frustrating but knowing that its for the best should keep you going.

True a certificate or even going to school does not guarantee success but it goes a long way to create opportunities.

You may think you can't or don't apply most of the things taught in class in life but that's not true,you do even though you may not know it,your mum is doing what she is cos she wants the best for you.

You've come this far please don't relent now,our people say that, a thing which remains only one is almost finished, so hang in there and stay focused,you'll definitely pull through.

Ehen as an old woman that you crowned me,I'd love to advice you further like an elder would a youngie. Don't take it the wrong way but please be careful in your dealings with strangers,this world is not a very safe place to live in as you may think.
As an igbo girl I believe you are,you know how we uphold virtue so biko do ru o isi na ulo. Ka chineke mezie okwu. Udo.

@VIVIKA,Nne ichokwa we'll continue where we left it without much ado.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by tpia5: 10:46pm On Jan 11, 2012
the girl is just f.ooling around, imo.

she doesnt sound serious at all.

seems like she has associates who are backing her up, she could be male, or just one of these everlasting trolls all over the place.

anyway, his or her business.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by tpia5: 10:47pm On Jan 11, 2012
you go school, you no go school, na your own wahala.

you marry celebrity, you no marry celebrity, na you sabi.

who cares.

do you know how many others are waiting in line to have dibs at your spot.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by chika98: 11:21pm On Jan 11, 2012
Nairaland loves discussion eh. This chic wants to drop out; let her drop out na. If she's acquires an education is she doing it for me? Abeg drop out if you want. Life is not that complicated at all abi wetin else were you expecting to hear?
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 2:37am On Jan 12, 2012
make the girl drop out abeg. Sounds like another spoilt child of privilege who doesnt know what it means to work hard for everything you have. She's lucky, she already has a family business to fall back on . . . the business built up by the hard work and sacrifice of others.
Just another "see my b[i]o[/i]obs" chic.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by armyofone(m): 2:50am On Jan 12, 2012
ha, Davidylan. For where Nwa mama go. where have you been, how now and Happy New Year.
heard it's freezing in Roch, miss that place and dreaming of going there to just go eat my Dibella old fashion submarine cheesy.

with the way the world is going, i think she should think again before dropping out. anyway sha, na her toro.

davidylan:

make the girl drop out abeg. Sounds like another spoilt child of privilege who doesnt know what it means to work hard for everything you have. She's lucky, she already has a family business to fall back on . . . the business built up by the hard work and sacrifice of others.
Just another "see my b[i]o[/i]obs" chic.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by dayokanu(m): 2:51am On Jan 12, 2012
Hauwa sweerriee
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by armyofone(m): 2:52am On Jan 12, 2012
make i run for cover, grin grin
no scatter OP thread biko.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 3:00am On Jan 12, 2012
armyofone:

ha, Davidylan. For where Nwa mama go. where have you been, how now and Happy New Year.
heard it's freezing in Roch, miss that place and dreaming of going there to just go eat my Dibella old fashion submarine cheesy.

with the way the world is going, i think she should think again before dropping out. anyway sha, na her toro.

You need glasses. grin I don comot Roch since almost 2 yrs now . . . where you dey since? Na professional student you think say i be?
Happy new yr jare madam army reserves. . .

abeg make the chic comot for school, at least she has frontal assets . . . see what Mrs. Tiger Woods got for those tiny oranges of hers - $100m!
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by dayokanu(m): 3:01am On Jan 12, 2012
hauwa na late comer. kiss kiss kiss

David don comot Rochester long time ago He is now somewhere closer to Canada

OP, How many times I wan tell you that I am a celebrity, come make we marry na
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by armyofone(m): 3:12am On Jan 12, 2012
lol, oh boy oh boy grin.  I remembered you told me that. Just trying to give you a small gist wey i hear from those left behind now.
i know say you don commot i dey follow you for twitter oh David nwa mama grin. and dayo, who dash you celebrity? no be ponmo and shaki you dey chop, granted lipsrsealed grin . . . i hear say african store plenty there  grin tongue
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 12, 2012
@ poster

It's been two days since you opened this thread, have you dropped out already? Because my new year resolution Is : more action and less words wink
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by IbroSaunks(m): 1:48am On Jan 25, 2012
maybe I'm a little late on this thread but imma just drop two brief points:
i think you need to think positively more often. maybe you're over-analyzing stuff. too much fear, too much negativity. don't be afraid it wouldn't work out well, just work towards making it work.

there was a speech Steve jobs gave at some university back in 05 to graduating students. in the speech, the first 'header' read "connecting the dots". the message was that no knowledge is really lost, and in the mist of all the seemingly useless stuff they teach in school, there's definitely something that would matter later on. if you can, do read the speech.

school is a place to discover yourself, just try to optimize the experience.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by BlackLibya: 2:07am On Jan 25, 2012
Vivika so you are at NYU for business huh? I agree with you, ur business skill cannot be measured in grades because most people with high grades are cheating anyway. What type of business would u like to start? Btw, we should go out sometime lol, i can send u a pic if u want,
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by playahP(m): 2:32am On Jan 25, 2012
maybe your parent treat you like a shiny star Which you are not because you always play ms. goody two shoes.
Playing the good girl to impress the neighbours and old folks while deep down, you just a dumb piece of rusty butt crack angry angry angry angry

Maybe you aren't worth the school fees they pay.
My word of advise, please drop out and do what hoes do.

If not, stop wasting thread space with useless post such as this.

damn!!!!!
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by lifestyle1(m): 2:44am On Jan 25, 2012
Thank God say no be naija uni she dey, lf to say na naija uni she dey, lecturer for they do trade by batter to pass her without any stress and she no go think of drop out. Oyinbo lecturer no dey demand for se.x and bribe ?
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by hamsky: 3:00am On Jan 25, 2012
A classic case of "I am only doing this because my parent (s) want me to". See OP If I had my ways too I'll drop out from Uni even though I'm in my final year but I can't cos you learn to earn.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by safarigirl(f): 3:11am On Jan 25, 2012
If you don't like school, there isn't much you can do to change your perception.

Some ☺₣ the most successful people in the world dropped out of school, but they had visions and school was just Ǟ hindrance to them.

If you have Ǟ vision that you believe in, drop out ǡŋ₫ get on with it, better than finishing the school ǡŋ₫ ending up Ǟ desperate job-seeker or a miserable employee
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by dasparrow: 3:40am On Jan 25, 2012
life_style:

Thank God say no be naija uni she dey, lf to say na naija uni she dey, lecturer for they do trade by batter to pass her without any stress and she no go think of drop out. Oyinbo lecturer no dey demand for se.x and bribe ?

No, in advanced societies, lecturers don't ask for bribe or intimacy That is what differentiates Nigerian universities from those in western societies. Try asking for bribe or intimacy from your students and you will never be able to teach in a college/university again in that western country if you are caught.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Nobody: 3:50am On Jan 25, 2012
Education is a priority for me o.

To be educated is just a wonderful thing kiss
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by kizito96(m): 3:56am On Jan 25, 2012
You are an adult, follow your mind
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by klairekk: 5:05am On Jan 25, 2012
U need councelling. U may send ur mail ID n I wil contack U. until den remain in school
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Sike(m): 6:43am On Jan 25, 2012
Better Save than Sorry.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by eghost247(m): 6:52am On Jan 25, 2012
this is serious people shouldn't screw with this thread, @Op a the end of the day it all depends on you dropping at school is not the right thing to do
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by maclatunji: 7:01am On Jan 25, 2012
OP, are you saying you are a genious who finds the University system boring because you know all the things you are being taught already? OR You just find University boring?

If it is the former, what proof do you have of your genious and how do you intend to take advantage of it?

If it is the latter, do you really understand the consequences of your action and are you willing to live it?

I advise you to take a break, explore other productive options that make you happy because I can see depression written all over your post and we know what follows after that- so explain to your mother in these terms and make sure that you have your priorities right. Don't get them twisted.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Jenifa1: 7:14am On Jan 25, 2012
ask yourself how many celebrity (assuming athletes and entertainers) wives attended NYU. not very many. so it's better to drop out now. just know that you will be competing with high school drop outs. so chances for you are low.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by nasty45(m): 7:36am On Jan 25, 2012
Viv i must say u got a nice boobs.@ topic-if it's not a major that interest u,just try your best to scale through,after that u can decide what u gonna do wit your life.u owe ur folks jst this last part of trainin.i experienced such wen i was runnin my Bachelor's prog bt i managed to scale tru now am free
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by kunle86(m): 7:41am On Jan 25, 2012
i can't blame u 4 ur action, because i also know how u feel, the samething happens to me in few years ago am stil in school, but felt like droping out that time, pls education is ur priority. Don't do that pls, pray 4 god counceling.
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by millionbuc(m): 7:55am On Jan 25, 2012
My dear, When you live in a society like America, Such decisions are easy to make.

In Nigeria people pay bribes worth thousands of dollars to gain admission into universities, and still get scammed over and over again.

In Nigeria, If you even dare habour such a thought, your mum will disown you even b4 u mentn it. And if you dare mentn. it, she will strngle u dead, has in - literally.

University education for we Nigerians is gold but it does look like for Americans, it has become copper.

Bottom line, whatever rocks your boat girl.

But do try being less selfish for once and consider your mum, you'll be glad you did, I promise.

Take care now, would you?

http://www.5slate..com
Re: I Want To Drop Out Of School by Chnges(m): 8:14am On Jan 25, 2012
@POSTER__ from all i've seen, i think you should your mind has directed you, back up your intentions with the little knowledge you've got from education! Join the family business! set and break records!! And show them what you've got!!! As my high school would say 'success is not your the profession nor your location, SUCCESS is in YOU' I think at last your mum will be proud of you! I hope this would help

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Learn German Language In Port Harcourt at Schneider Institute / Uniben Admission Completed, Clearance Begins! / The Nigerian Teacher/Tutor And The Cane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.