Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,032 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? (5605 Views)

How To Insure A Car In Nigeria / Why Do Nigerians Avoid Diesel Cars When Buying A Vehicle? / What Will Happen To The Odometer Of A Vehicle If The Engine Is Replaced??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 2:36am On Jan 14, 2012
Hi Nairalanders,
Please how much will it cost to insure a vehicle that is a little above 1m at time of purchase , which best insurance company can you refer someone to and is it possible to insure a nigerian used vehicle you bought at the above mentioned rate

My vehicle was once snatched  at gun pointand haven't found it almost 5months now check link below to confirm

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-782901.0.html

Mr siena asked me on the link if it was insured and i answered yes because i bought the vehicle toks and the seller said some rubbish when i called him if the vehicle was insured and it also stated on the docs that the vehicle was insured

A friend of mine muzzle car was snatched he bought it toks , his was snatched 2 months after mine and he told me 3rd party insurance will buy another one for him after 6 months if the vehicle is not found , OMG i was a fool but how real is this??

Cause i am trying to buy a vehicle this month but not toks naija used toyota camry 04

Please advises needed not Abuses
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 3:57pm On Jan 14, 2012
I need replies NLers thanks

1 Like

Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2012
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 3:58pm On Jan 14, 2012
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 14, 2012
Bro, sorry about your stolen car. God will certainly ensure the stolen car will not benefit those responsible.

The cost of insuring an automobile varies, no one can actually give an accurate response. Cost of your insurance premium will depend on the following:

01) Make of automobile.
02) Model of automobile.
03) Year of automobile.
04) Engine size of automobile (larger or more powerful engine can attract higher premium).
05) Type of licence you hold, and duration held.
06) Area automobile is registered to. (some areas are classed as high risk).
07) How many drivers have access to the automobile.
08) Body style (Coupe's attract higher premiums than sedans / wagons).
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 14, 2012
purefella:

Mr siena asked me on the link if it was insured and i answered yes because i bought the vehicle toks and the seller said some rubbish when i called him if the vehicle was insured and it also stated on the docs that the vehicle was insured

I don't get you. The vehicle could have been insured for the seller or previous owner, not you. It's your responsibility to insure your vehicle for your own use. An Insurance Certificate is NOT transferrable from person to person.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 7:36pm On Jan 14, 2012
Thanks a bunch bro that was useful but if anyone has an insurance on his vehicle or recently insured his vehicle please reply , I will like to learn more
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Benez: 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2012
Bros for ur stolen car. Principally, the value of the car dictates the premium. Just apply 6% on the value. That is ur premium. U can reach me on 08023198878 for the breakdown of the above premium and further info.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by jbak: 11:45pm On Jan 14, 2012
You could get a comprehensive insurance for 5% of the vehicle's worth and I would advice you also install a tracker on it.
If u need referrals, I got a contact from mutual benefit
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Benez: 8:15pm On Jan 15, 2012
5% with Excess Buy Back? I am not sure any reputable ins co will accept such offer. Bros, make sure u buy excess, this is my line and i know wat i am talking about. If u insure ur car, do u need a tracker? NO!
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 1:20am On Jan 16, 2012
Benez:

Bros for your stolen car. Principally, the value of the car dictates the premium. Just apply 6% on the value. That is your premium. U can reach me on 08023198878 for the breakdown of the above premium and further info.

Thanks alot jbak and Benez i will call you before Monday evening
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by ayojango(m): 3:27am On Jan 16, 2012
5percnt flat of d vehicle amount for comprehensive,and 2500 for third party.this does not cover fire,malicious damage.

Most insurance coys will giv u free tracker of vehicles worth 3million and above.you can try equity assurance your cert wil b ready in 5mins.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 4:17am On Jan 16, 2012
ayo jango:

5percnt flat of d vehicle amount for comprehensive,and 2500 for third party.this does not cover fire,malicious damage.

Most insurance coys will giv u free tracker of vehicles worth 3million and above.you can try equity assurance your cert wil b ready in 5mins.

Thanks for the reply it means to insure a N1m vehicle will be 50k at the 5% rate you mentioned , i don't think that's too much , equity assurance you said how reliable are they have you tried them before sorry to be asking this i will like to know
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by ayojango(m): 4:24am On Jan 16, 2012
Yes,am an agent ther and iv insured as many as possible,contact me on 08033738049
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 4:44am On Jan 16, 2012
i have saved your # and will call you
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Benez: 9:27am On Jan 16, 2012
Hello house, i am not here to damage d reputation of any co. But we know ourselves. It is not the certificates that matter rather, it is claims settlement. If u insist on 5%, no problem, go ahead but note that in the event of any loss, u r not getting ur claim amount in full.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by ayojango(m): 10:14am On Jan 16, 2012
@benez I belive ds forum is about respectin one another,your statement lacks experience and senile.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by igahdavid(m): 12:26pm On Jan 16, 2012
call me up for the tracking
0803 3141 851
www.dtechcartracking.com
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 1:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
ayo jango:

@benez I belive ds forum is about respectin one another,your statement lacks experience and senile.

I think if you are too sure of what you are saying your speech might sound indifferent and i think that's what make benez statement look that way to you and it is better for me to investigate further in what i have heard from both of you

Thanks please NLers keep replying it's making I and some others who are interested in insuring there vehicles learn
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by igahdavid(m): 2:05pm On Jan 16, 2012
@purefella, I think what u re looking for is called comprehensive insurance. u can ask around. there is a lot of insurance companies out there
Zenith Insurance, Standard Alliance, Industrial and General Insurance - IGI, Leadway Assurance, Niger Insurance etc. google them and u can get there contacts and call them
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 16, 2012
ayo jango:

I see nothing wrong in Benez's statement. What he said is very correct.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by alexis800(m): 9:28pm On Jan 16, 2012
Hi, My name is Alex.I work wth Industrial and General Insurance (IGI), Well,it doesn't rily cost much tu insure a car worth 1m, U can call mi on dis no to enlighten u more on it, 08023853598, Alex
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 11:00pm On Jan 16, 2012
alexis800:

Hi, My name is Alex.I work wth Industrial and General Insurance (IGI), Well,it doesn't rily cost much tu insure a car worth 1m, U can call mi on dis no to enlighten u more on it, 08023853598, Alex

Thanks for the response i will try and give you a call but i think some other people might be interested if you can summarize the benefits of insuring vehicles through IGI on here
thanks
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by alexis800(m): 11:30pm On Jan 16, 2012
Ok, well,in summary,we ve 2 classes of Motor Insurance policy, The comprehensive and Third Party insurance, But in reality,d comprehensive has advantages dan d Third party, The merit aspect of it are--Replacement of ur car,which is subject to d stated worth value of d car, The repair of ur damage car as a result of accident or given u d cash owing tu d cost u expended in repairing it urself, The premium charge is 5% of d value of d car and is being paid annually, And also,if u re insure a car worth of 3m above,d company gives u free tracking device, I hpe u ok wth dis,
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Benez: 5:00am On Jan 17, 2012
@ Sienna, thanks.
House, i have spent more than 12 yrs in dis insustry. Most claimants have issues with Insurance coys at d point of claim. The issue is dat clients are not well educated b4 picking up an Ins. Policy.

Now, back to my point. I quite agree that it is 5% but for a standard Motor policy, there is an Excess, which is an amt or a %age of the would be amt claimed (whichever is greater) imposed by an Ins. Coy. For instance, an excess could be #20k or 5% of claim (whichever is greater). What it means is that, for a car of #1m, at the point of claim, if the loss/damage is #400k, d coy will find 5% of #400k. The greater btw the result and the above        #20k will now be deducted from d #400k and the bal. Is given to u. That means instead of #400k, u will get #380k subject to depreciation.

The impact is felt more in d event of a total loss/theft because basically, d coy will apply percentage which will definitely be higher than the excess amt. In the above example, if the vehicle is stolen, the excess deductible is 5% of #1m. Some clients end up bearing up to #200 - #300k because it is value that determines the excess. In otherwords, the higher d value of a vehicle, d higher d excess.

But there is a way u can negotiate at d inception of the policy that u don't want d coy to deduct any excess from your claim in the event of a future loss, so d coy will then charge u 1% of the value of d car and add it to the premium of 5% to make it 6%.

U must equally note that for vehicle theft, Insurance coys settle after three months because of investigation and to see if d car will be recovered.

This is my submission. For enquiry and patronage, call me on 08023198878  or 08173198878.

Thank u.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 7:22pm On Jan 17, 2012
alexis800:

Ok, well,in summary,we ve 2 classes of Motor Insurance policy, The comprehensive and Third Party insurance, But in reality,d comprehensive has advantages dan d Third party, The merit aspect of it are--Replacement of your car,which is subject to d stated worth value of d car, The repair of your damage car as a result of accident or given u d cash owing tu d cost u expended in repairing it urself, The premium charge is 5% of d value of d car and is being paid annually, And also,if u re insure a car worth of 3m above,d company gives u free tracking device, I hpe u ok wth dis,

That's well stated i appreciate that

Benez:

@ Sienna, thanks.
House, i have spent more than 12 yrs in dis insustry. Most claimants have issues with Insurance coys at d point of claim. The issue is dat clients are not well educated b4 picking up an Ins. Policy.

Now, back to my point. I quite agree that it is 5% but for a standard Motor policy, there is an Excess, which is an amt or a %age of the would be amt claimed (whichever is greater) imposed by an Ins. Coy. For instance, an excess could be #20k or 5% of claim (whichever is greater). What it means is that, for a car of #1m, at the point of claim, if the loss/damage is #400k, d coy will find 5% of #400k. The greater btw the result and the above        #20k will now be deducted from d #400k and the bal. Is given to u. That means instead of #400k, u will get #380k subject to depreciation.

The impact is felt more in d event of a total loss/theft because basically, d coy will apply percentage which will definitely be higher than the excess amt. In the above example, if the vehicle is stolen, the excess deductible is 5% of #1m. Some clients end up bearing up to #200 - #300k because it is value that determines the excess. In otherwords, the higher d value of a vehicle, d higher d excess.

But there is a way u can negotiate at d inception of the policy that u don't want d coy to deduct any excess from your claim in the event of a future loss, so d coy will then charge u 1% of the value of d car and add it to the premium of 5% to make it 6%.

U must equally note that for vehicle theft, Insurance coys settle after three months because of investigation and to see if d car will be recovered.

This is my submission. For enquiry and patronage, call me on 08023198878  or 08173198878.

Thank u.

Applause sir Mr. Benez that cleared everything up i won't only contact you but also advise other who may have read this post and interested to insured there vehicles to contact Mr.Benez phone #s BUT at your own risk i have to say this coz i haven't get physical with coys insurance yet
Thanks all
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by Benez: 7:36pm On Jan 17, 2012
U r welcome
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by DisGuy: 8:13pm On Jan 17, 2012
Benez:

@ Sienna, thanks.

Thank u.

and in the course of investigating a stolen car, or repairing a damaged car, is there a complimentary car given to the policy holder or he will just have to leg it for 3/6months?
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 8:16pm On Jan 17, 2012
Dis Guy:

and in the course of investigating a stolen car, or repairing a damaged car, is there a complimentary car given to the policy holder or he will just have to leg it for 3/6months?

I like that question , hope Mr benez , jbak and others would response to this
thanks
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by jbak: 12:26am On Jan 18, 2012
This is a valid point. Its called loss of use. Most insurance policy marketers are silent about this and other points like the excess buy back.

I suppose this is because these two elements increase the percentage to be paid as premium and people are more interested in the cheapest offer.

The loss of use would also indicate how much u'll be paid if u dont have ur car and for how long you'll get that pay.

Another point to note is that, at the point of renewal every year, u have an option of keeping the initial value of the car or depreciating the value as well as provision for discount in premium depending on the initial premium charged.

My candid advice is to read through the policies well and ask relevant questions(like u are doing), I didn't get to know all these until last year, after running a comprehensive insurance policy for over 4yrs.

The basic challenge usually is keeping up with the premium payment annually because once u default and something goes wrong you aint covered. Also, an assurance of getting prompt claims settlement is important. I've never made claims before but I've seen people go through a lot of hassle to get repairs done after an accident.
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by purefella(m): 2:20am On Jan 18, 2012
jbak:

This is a valid point. Its called loss of use. Most insurance policy marketers are silent about this and other points like the excess buy back.

I suppose this is because these two elements increase the percentage to be paid as premium and people are more interested in the cheapest offer.

The loss of use would also indicate how much u'll be paid if u dont have your car and for how long you'll get that pay.

Another point to note is that, at the point of renewal every year, u have an option of keeping the initial value of the car or depreciating the value as well as provision for discount in premium depending on the initial premium charged.

My candid advice is to read through the policies well and ask relevant questions(like u are doing), I didn't get to know all these until last year, after running a comprehensive insurance policy for over 4yrs.

The basic challenge usually is keeping up with the premium payment annually because once u default and something goes wrong you aint covered. Also, an assurance of getting prompt claims settlement is important. I've never made claims before but I've seen people go through a lot of hassle to get repairs done after an accident.

There's much sense in this , I want to ask this question not that i have not learned enough but is there any one that has his or her car insured here and has gotten into problems like the car was snatched or accident how speedy was the insurance company able to help that person and will you be the one to come up with the amount to fix the vehicle or they have there own mechanic that will check and fix it for you , I am sorry if all this question is getting too much but i always like to learn
Thanks NLers
Re: How Much Will It Cost To Insure A Vehicle? by babaijesha: 11:20am On Jan 18, 2012
purefella:

Hi Nairalanders,
Please how much will it cost to insure a vehicle that is a little above 1m at time of purchase , which best insurance company can you refer someone to and is it possible to insure a nigerian used vehicle you bought at the above mentioned rate

My vehicle was once snatched  at gun pointand haven't found it almost 5months now check link below to confirm

I will advise you to use your office insurance coy if you work in a corporate org. I had accident with my Honda Accord abt 2 years ago. Cost of the car was 1.4m and they reimbursed me to the tune of N1.24m after 4 mths, Just had to fill (some forms, car pictures; then police report). Comp Insurance paid was like 5% of the cst.

(1) (2) (Reply)

One In 10 Lagos Drivers Have Valid Driver's Licence / Toyota Corolla Users Need Know Their Mate / The Best Electric Cars On Sale. (PICTURES N SPECS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.