Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,056 members, 7,852,582 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:51 PM

President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol (34296 Views)

Jonathan Approves Diezani’s Sister And 60 Others For Political Appointments / Pres Jonathan Approves Automatic Promotion for Soldiers who Liberated Baga / Falling Crude Oil Price and Nigeria's N97/Litre Fuel Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by otondo55: 9:57am On Jan 16, 2012
Now he is using soldiers against the will of the people.
You can never force horse to drink !

Mr Joker Duck luck
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by weirdmind: 9:58am On Jan 16, 2012
GEJ's stupidity and aloofness from the anger of the people are crushingly painful & embarrassing. How can a president of a land not understand the dynamics of things about his people he professes to govern? In Nigeria it is common knowledge that a little increase in the cost of an input(in this case oil) always leads to more percentage increase in the price than the cost that triggerred it. If the price of fuel increases from N65 to N70,a mere 7% increase, may lead to prices of goods soaring to as high as 50-60% increase or even more. It doesn't hv a pattern or science.It's crude, and heavily weighted against the common buyers who are in millions. That is the Nigerian experience, that is the reality and that is what we know.Which is the ignorance the president betrays,or the calllousness in his admin policies. So,what the hell was the president trying to achieve by reducing the price of PMS from N141 to N97 when the economic consequences are the same in the unregulated, haggling-based, Nigerian markets? I know it is only trying to give labour & the society groups a bad name. He has failed!

The people have made their position known:come back to N65 or nothing doing! Once we are there, we would begin to address other issues. But our government is deaf to the voice of reason, but being egged on by a gaggle of shameless dogs who would rather hv the masses emasculated and destroyed just to have a taste in the looting spree,

Are we now practising oligarchy with copious vestiges of militarism or democracy? Expect war!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 16, 2012
My conclusion is this! Before anything can turn around in Nigeria, it will take a revolution in the way we think and do things. We are just too complex for the faint at heart! God bless Nigeria, and as usual when the human resolve fails, its time to look to a higher power. May God help us all.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 989900: 10:01am On Jan 16, 2012
This is bigger than GEJ now. Our country is slipping away from us into the hands of tyrants, including governors, rtd soldiers & businessmen

If we accept N97, we'll get screwed both ways. We'll pay double and we'll give GEJ an excuse for subsequent under-performance
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 16, 2012
His Speech is been repeated again on channels TV at the moment. This is good tactics on GEJ's side, trying to assert himself, showing confidence, Leadership 101.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Softness: 10:03am On Jan 16, 2012
OH! NLC and TUC have sold out to GEJ, They seem to forget that we were on the streets before they came in! #Occupy Nigeria
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 989900: 10:04am On Jan 16, 2012
What did GEJ say about his N1b feeding budget? What did he say about security votes? Nothing! That's the way of the corrupt.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 16, 2012
[b]eds announced N97 Naira
NLC disagrees and says, Strike continues but street protest has been stopped to allow for negotiation
OutLaws, led by Seun, a social miscreant, the son of the AIDS killed, igbo smoking, fatally womanizing Fela vows to continue the protest against the decision of the NLC/TUC and other legally instituted bodies.
Seun Fela is a nobody and needs to be arrested and jailed to civil disobedience. May be he thinks any enlightened human being buys indian hemps records.

Having said that; I want to warn Fashola as follows;
There are only Two Entities you can not fight against and they are God and the Government
If rioting and civil disobedience continues in Lagos, a state of emergency will be declared and everyone knows that once that is done, the governor and the state house is sacked for good and I can assure you, the military administrator that will take over will ensure that PDP takes the sit, and I for one will vote PDP just so that toll-gate and all other BAT/BRF empires will be decimated.

Protest wouldnt be that bad for the PDP, would it ?[/b]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by montelik(m): 10:08am On Jan 16, 2012
989900:

What did GEJ say about his N1b feeding budget? What did he say about security votes? Nothing! That's the way of the corrupt.

They are being looked into.  cool
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 989900: 10:09am On Jan 16, 2012
Auto switch

Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 16, 2012
989900:

Auto switch
I hope you are have not disappointed your community that contributed money to train you in school. Is this all you can do ?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by kevoh(m): 10:15am On Jan 16, 2012
Is this even deregulation or imposition of price? How can the FG be shouting deregulation through removal of fuel subsidy here and there yet it is fixing price haphazardly? #141? #97? What next #80 if we pressurize them the more or maybe #160 if we allow them?

Someone please enlighten me on this GEJ madness! Me I no understand!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 10:17am On Jan 16, 2012
Apparently bakare and some other people have been arrested on GEJ's orders!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by mbulela: 10:21am On Jan 16, 2012
it is past 10am, 3 hrs after his speech. i was expecting a speech or presentation by members of his team telling us how that number (97 naira) was arrived at.
i hope it was not plucked out of the backside?
is this deregulation or price fixing?
with 97 naira, is our economy no longer collapsing?
have the cabal being crushed by the God inspired 97 naira price?
do we need another round of strike before we see more power point slides from NOI et al explaining how the price was arrived at?
are they busy at present justifying the new price to themselves and would afterwards come to convince us?
how does this new price answer all the questions SLS, a member of the govt raised against the current fuel pricing regime?
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by heryyy(m): 10:22am On Jan 16, 2012
[size=20pt]Msg to Jonathan:

If a ruler listens to lies, all his officials become wicked.(Proverbs 29:12)

The Righteous One takes note of the house of the wicked and brings the wicked to ruin (Proverbs 21:12)

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered. (Proverbs 21:13)[/size]
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 16, 2012
heryyy:

[size=20pt]Msg to Jonathan:

If a ruler listens to lies, all his officials become wicked.(Proverbs 29:12)

The Righteous One takes note of the house of the wicked and brings the wicked to ruin (Proverbs 21:12)

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered. (Proverbs 21:13)[/size]

Words of wisdom.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by chromoTop: 10:26am On Jan 16, 2012
LeoMax:

[b]eds announced N97 Naira
NLC disagrees and says, Strike continues but street protest has been stopped to allow for negotiation
OutLaws, led by Seun, a social miscreant, the son of the AIDS killed, igbo smoking, fatally womanizing Fela vows to continue the protest against the decision of the NLC/TUC and other legally instituted bodies.
Seun Fela is a nobody and needs to be arrested and jailed to civil disobedience. May be he thinks any enlightened human being buys indian hemps records.

Having said that; I want to warn Fashola as follows;
There are only Two Entities you can not fight against and they are God and the Government
If rioting and civil disobedience continues in Lagos, a state of emergency will be declared and everyone knows that once that is done, the governor and the state house is sacked for good and I can assure you, the military administrator that will take over will ensure that PDP takes the sit, and I for one will vote PDP just so that toll-gate and all other BAT/BRF empires will be decimated.

Protest wouldnt be that bad for the PDP, would it ?[/b]

when reasoning is lost, insults become the handy weapon!  undecided
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by babestella: 10:28am On Jan 16, 2012
The nincompoop called Jonathan and his gang lack credible ideas and creativity on how they can move this country forward, and we really need to be very sorry to our children for making the big mistake of electing the orangutan monkey called Jonathan. He is a failure and will never bring forth any good dividend of democracy to Nigerians. he has never achieved anything as a government official and I can bet you all, he will not achieve anything in his administration, mark it, put fuel at 200 per litre, in the next 2 years he will come with another story to increase pump price again.

NB, one day they will come and tell us that they have been subsidising RICE which every takes as a staple food, and ask us to buy one bag of rice 25,000 per bag.

We are watching, TIME SHALL TELL.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by houvest: 10:34am On Jan 16, 2012
This is obvious to students of Nigerian history. The whole nine yards replayed as some of us predicted. Govt removes subsidy. Labour barks Govt reduces the price of fuel. Labour backs down. Life goes on untill next season of the series. When folks were predicting doomsday and regime change bec ause of this. We laughed. Probably they are too young to know what happens here or have not been paying attention.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by 989900: 10:35am On Jan 16, 2012
I hope you are have not disappointed your community that contributed money to train you in school. Is this all you can do ?

That is less news than the huge "disappointment" GEJ is. . . time to get your head outta your a.$.$ you clueless obtuse oik.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by BetaThings: 10:39am On Jan 16, 2012
989900:

Auto switch

Mobutu, Mugabe, Mubarak Jonathan

FRESH AIR

Ant against Boko Haram
Field Marshal against the innocent and poor people
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by MSItachi: 10:42am On Jan 16, 2012
I just hope that other parties will bring up someone credible in the next election, GEJ must not come back for next term.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by montelik(m): 10:48am On Jan 16, 2012
mbulela:

it is past 10am, 3 hrs after his speech. i was expecting a speech or presentation by members of his team telling us how that number (97 naira) was arrived at.
i hope it was not plucked out of the backside?
is this deregulation or price fixing?
with 97 naira, is our economy no longer collapsing?
have the cabal being crushed by the God inspired 97 naira price?
do we need another round of strike before we see more power point slides from NOI et al explaining how the price was arrived at?
are they busy at present justifying the new price to themselves and would afterwards come to convince us?
how does this new price answer all the questions SLS, a member of the govt raised against the current fuel pricing regime?

I have been waiting since. One would have expected them to send out their experts in a blitz after this mornings speech. Let them produce d arithmetic and reasoning used to arrive at N97, just like they did with d initial N145. I hope Sanusi, Okonjo e.t.c will soon with d airwaves to explain how we got this new price.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by stiyke(m): 10:48am On Jan 16, 2012
For those insulting GEJ, You guys are bunch of hypocrites!!
How can you guys claim to want democracy and yet dont want to see or hear or let those opposed to your view carry on their business as they like??
I commend GEJ for deploying additional security for nigerians that want to go about their business.

How can someone that is not government make this sort of pronouncement yet scream democracy:

@NigeriaNewsdesk Nigeria Newsdesk
Joint Action Front, yesterday in Lagos, advised Nigerians, who would not want to be part of the street protest & mass action to say at home.

GEJ should do all within his power to ensure those that want to conduct their business go on doing so with adequate protection!!!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by hbabe(f): 10:51am On Jan 16, 2012
I thought it was said the country will collapse if fuel is not sold at N141/ltr; why did GEJ reduce it? I hope the economy will no longer collapse or is GEJ hoping/planning to take it up to N141 by April?
This action is not that of a democratic government at all, it looks more like a military dictatorship. Hope we are not breeding another African leader that will need foreign intervention to 'hear word'!

As for the heavy military presence in Lagos, me thinks our leaders are saying civilians cannot rule the nation! Just my thought.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by PrettyLil: 10:53am On Jan 16, 2012
What a shame - to b called d giant of africa - yet all d pics online n bb - shows we are yet to attain the status of a democratic govt! I pray next time we can vote better - Occupy Nija / SNG and to all who went out n walked d streets - YOU VE SHOWN strength, might n honour! to all who lost lives - we pray the Lord grants their families entire peace n ability to accept the loss. As for you Jonathan - surely we voted you in - surely u wil depart - I pray that wen you finally step down frm aso rock - you are able to live in nija - fr d ones dat collect egunje n carry on the cartel - you wil ve a good life - bt at d very end of urs n d beginn of ur childrens - peace shall depart from you households - as some mothers have buried their young - so also u wil bury urs jst wen u r about to reap d fruit of your blood money!

Nijas - lets pray fr this great nation of ours
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by jamace(m): 10:55am On Jan 16, 2012
The Goliath of our time!
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by walemoses2(m): 10:55am On Jan 16, 2012
@Naira2011,What hath the bag the honourable minister carried got to do with Nigeria situations that need urgent attention,pls and pls dont let us be derailed,the price of the bag you even told us is misleading because is far less than that on the internet apart the honourable minister can even afford the bag either she works as a minister or not,have you forgotten that she is still a director in shell petroleum Dev. Co.,she is just seconded to GEJ cabinet.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by OtunbaGm: 10:58am On Jan 16, 2012
Our president should listen to voice of the people so that He won't regret later. He does not want to accept defeat! Where is Gadhaffi today, Mubarak Nko? Dis guy for Tunisia,some should remind me his name! They are all history now. GEJ watch your back
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by esmoggims: 10:59am On Jan 16, 2012
If I were GEJ, I will consider the security and safety of lives more serious and important. I will suspend whatever 'rational' facts I've got for the removal of subsidy and revert back to N65. Then, I will tackle Boko Haram and other massacres first. Now, he is faced with the twin problems of social and economic insecurity - and as rightly pointed out by guys, he is pathetically clueless.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by john20166: 11:02am On Jan 16, 2012
Meaningless speech from the president of the most populated state in Africa, shame!!

Dear Compatriots,
1.    This is the second time in two weeks I will address you on the deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. In the last seven days, the nation has witnessed a disruption of economic activities.  Although, the economic imperatives for the policy have been well articulated by government, the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) went ahead to declare a nationwide strike.

As the President of the FRN, be addressing an issue twice in two weeks that has made the country in total economic collapse, very stupid introduction you should be able to address us regularly and receive questions from the press not issuing statements, is this some military regime,

2.    There was also near-breakdown of law and order in certain parts of the country as a result of the activities of some persons or groups of persons who took advantage of the situation to further their narrow interests by engaging in acts of intimidation, harassment and outright subversion of the Nigerian state. I express my sympathy to those who were adversely affected by the protests.

Breakdown of law and order is a result as the government not being able to provide security during the protest, that is your problem not ours, deal with your problem and act, dont be stupid!!!

3.    At the inception of the deregulation policy, Government had set up the Justice Alfa Belgore Committee to liaise with Labour and other stakeholders to address likely grey areas in the policy, but despite all our efforts, Labour refused the option of dialogue and also disobeyed a restraining order of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

We as nigerian want to be fully involved with the whole discussion, Dont you understand, we dont want your schemes anymore, we want change!!!

4.    However, following the intervention of the Leadership of the National Assembly, and other well-meaning Nigerians, Labour accepted to meet with government, but this yielded no tangible result.

We all know this, tell us something we dont know, arent you the president, let us know your thoughts about people suffering in poverty and why in 36states  there are 5 states without peace and you cannot justify your presence as the President in the last two years??

5.    It has become clear to government and all well-meaning Nigerians that other interests beyond the implementation of the deregulation policy have hijacked the protest. This has prevented an objective assessment and consideration of all the contending issues for which dialogue was initiated by government. These same interests seek to promote discord, anarchy, and insecurity to the detriment of public peace.

We are sick of the Corruption with the federal government and seek an end to all of it, we have come out to fight for change if you cannot address the things we have said in all media platforms available and then say to us that we are here for Anarchy, that is exactly what you should get!!, !!!!

6.    Government appreciates that the implementation of the deregulation policy would cause initial hardships and commends Nigerians who have put forth suggestions and credible alternatives in this regard. Government also salutes Nigerians who by and large, conducted themselves peacefully while expressing their grievances. Let me assure you that government will continue to respect the people's right to express themselves within the confines of the law and in accordance with the dictates of our democratic space.

You are showing no way of respecting our rights by enforcing Labour to stop our protests!!!!

7.    Government will continue to pursue full deregulation of the downstream petroleum sector. However, given the hardships being suffered by Nigerians, and after due consideration and consultations with state governors and the leadership of the National Assembly, government has approved the reduction of the pump price of petrol to N97 per litre. The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) has been directed to ensure compliance with this new pump price.

Government, who is the government without the people we do not want deregulation without proper thoughts and consideration of 80% of the masses!!!, We are the government and your methods of pursuing deregulation is not acceptable, so we reject it, start with projects and then we can consider actions not statements hoping to make our lives better, we want to see results not words!!, WE DO NOT TRUST THE GOVERNMENT!!! WE WANT N65, then you can put things in place to reduce the hardship suffered by the common citizens!!!

8.    Government is working hard to reduce recurrent expenditure in line with current realities and to cut down on the cost of governance. In the meantime, government has commenced the implementation of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment projects: including the Federal Government- assisted mass transit programme which is already in place, and job creation for the youth.

We have heard this several times, you just keep saying without acting, your words are not credible, please lets see some real action not all these jargons!

9.     Furthermore, the legal and regulatory regime for the petroleum industry will be reviewed to address accountability issues and current lapses in the Industry. In this regard, the Petroleum Industry Bill will be given accelerated attention. The report of the forensic audit carried out on the NNPC is being studied with a view to implementing the recommendations and sanctioning proven acts of corruption in the industry.

Why dont you come out to speak when these actions have been taking, you are as corrupt as these people, hiding under statements, please we need actions not words, we are sick of hearing all of it,

10.                       Let me assure Nigerians that this administration is irrevocably committed to tackling corruption in the petroleum industry as well as other sectors of the economy. Consequently, all those found to have contributed one way or the other to the economic adversity of the country will be dealt with in accordance with the law.

we have heard, please make another statement if you ever make this possible, hiss

11.My dear compatriots, I urge you to show understanding for the imperatives of the adjustment in the pump price of petrol and give government your full support to ensure its successful implementation. I further appeal to Nigerians to go back to work and go about their normal duties as government has made adequate arrangements for the protection of life and property throughout the federation.

We cannot support;
1, A president that does not have the ability to understand the situation of the common man before making a decision,
2, A government where the senate receive allowances that enter into more than a billion naira yearly, and these allowances arent given to common government workers!
3, A Government where the top people are allowed to have medical treatment abroad but the common government worker isnt giving these kind of oppourtunity, all these    because the same government has refused to improve the health sector!!
4, A Government that cannot provide security when the country is in crisis with the Boko haram.

12.Government will not condone brazen acts of criminality and subversion. As President, I have sworn to uphold the unity, peace and order of the Nigerian State and by the grace of God, I intend to fully and effectively discharge that responsibility.  Let me add that we are desirous of further engagements with Labour. I urge our Labour leaders to call off their strike, and go back to work.

YOU HAVE COMPLETELY FAILED IN DOING THIS AS TENS OF NIGERIANS DIED IN DECEMBER WITH SEVERAL OTHER IN MONTHS BEFORE AND YOU HAVE NOT ADDRESSED US WITH A SOLUTION!

13.Nigeria belongs to all of us and we must collectively safeguard its unity.

TRUE, BUT EVERYTHING STARTS FROM THE HEAD!!!

14.Thank you. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Re: President Jonathan Approves N97/Litre As The New Pump Price For Petrol by Harfolabi: 11:05am On Jan 16, 2012
Protest still countinue u should go back where we before it is N65/liter now dont delay

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Okpokiri Nwanaka Buys 85 Gionee 5 Phones As Constituency Project / The Population Density Of Igbo Land / Okocha Expresses Fear Over Who Swears In Wike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.