Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:07 AM

Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta (13055 Views)

Nigerian Twitter Users Call Out Ambode Over Report That Fashola Spent N139m On / Fire Near Alausa Central Mosque / KPMG Report That FG And NNPC Hid From Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2012
surveycash:

@Remi,

154 POB, on a single wellhead? Pls expatiate.

All but two of the 154 workers on the rig and a nearby support barge were evacuated and treated on a nearby platform. They were expected to be taken ashore on Monday evening.

check this link: http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article298186.ece

@surveycash: That is an offshore rig, obviously, they are at end of drilling phase, so you would have both Drilling and completions crew on the the rig. Also due to harmmartan, it is possible you have personnel over flow because of helicopter delays or having personnel on the rig days before their operation. It is cheaper to keep personnel longer the rig than having downtime due to inadequate or non availability of required expertize. I hope I have communicated.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 7:01pm On Jan 17, 2012
identified:

Pls house who knows the exact location of OML 86. I've been searching for a higher resolution map of Nigeria's concessions and licenses all day.

that is former texaco field, somewhere offshore bayelsa / delta state.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 7:16pm On Jan 17, 2012
lapazarian:

Not funny people.

Remii, I read on the news that it was a gas kick on an exploratory well, it probably wasnt handled well.
Any details on why it couldn't be contained? How do they intend to stop the fire?

until official report is out, you can only speculate. gas kick expands as it moves to surface as the volume double with half TVD distanced moved upwards (from gas law PV=K), if not detected of released in a controlled manner, it could lead to explosion on surface.

Killing: One option is drilling a relief well into the same wellbore with another rig to pump in kill mud. The well could also die on its own if the reservoir got depleted.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by member67023: 8:33pm On Jan 17, 2012
identified:

Pls house who knows the exact location of OML 86. I've been searching for a higher resolution map of Nigeria's concessions and licenses all day.

I may be wrong but this is from google.
http://itouchmap.com/?c=ni&UF=-2007219&UN=-2793763&DG=STM
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by lapazarian: 9:23pm On Jan 17, 2012
Remii:

until official report is out, you can only speculate. gas kick expands as it moves to surface as the volume double with half TVD distanced moved upwards (from gas law PV=K), if not detected of released in a controlled manner, it could lead to explosion on surface.

Killing: One option is drilling a relief well into the same wellbore with another rig to pump in kill mud. The well could also die on its own if the reservoir got depleted.

Not sure u wld want to wait for an unquantified gas reservoir to deplete in this case. Plus mobilizing another rig to drill the relief well will involve some lead time. I just hope it doesn't escalate into an environmental disaster before they sort it out.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 9:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
^^ you already have a disaster in your hand, it does not get worse, you can only prevent disaster before it occurred. there is fire burning on water that is all you have now, for sure it can not dry up the sea. as for relief well, it takes the same amount of time and tech to drill all wells in the same drilling zone, so you don't expect that to happen in less that 6 weeks, depending on depth of target and the ability of the directional drilling company to hit the well bore on first  attempt.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 9:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
identified:

OML 86 is arrowed in black

Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by snthesis(m): 8:57am On Jan 18, 2012
transocean has been contracted to drill the relief well
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by identified(m): 10:22am On Jan 18, 2012
Yay! Nice one guys. Glad we still have intellects on nairaland. Some site (nigerian) said the incident was triggered by maintenance work going-on on a nearby barge and they were bringin up all the conspiracy theories. The good thing is this well is just a gas well, imagine if it had oil with it, we would have been dealing with an environmental disaster. I guess chevron personnels wouldn't have been much on the rig. Does anyone kno about other operating firms with personnels on the rig?
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by snthesis(m): 11:19am On Jan 18, 2012
^^^in regards to the oilspill - reports suggests the quantity of spill is in d region of approx 13barrels.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by lapazarian: 8:57pm On Jan 18, 2012
snthesis:

^^^in regards to the oilspill - reports suggests the quantity of spill is in d region of approx 13barrels.

Probably condensate from the gas. It would probably vaporize on its own.
They are really lucky this was not an oil well,
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by Remii(m): 7:18am On Jan 19, 2012
lapazarian:

Probably condensate from the gas. It would probably vaporize on its own.
They are really lucky this was not an oil well,

maybe the environment is. but this is a great loss, especially for the families of 2 or 3 persons still missing. this a brand new rig, less than 2 years out of shipyard, owned and run by a Nigerian company. This is not a good for development of Local Contents initiatives.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by snthesis(m): 3:45pm On Jan 19, 2012
d search for d missing men has been suspended
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by member67023: 9:17am On Jan 22, 2012
UPDATE AS AT 20/1/12
Chevron has discontinued the search for the 2 missing workers and they are now presumed dead. Work has begun to drill a relief well to kill this well and will take some time. Below are satellite images taken today over the rig fire location. Oil on the surface is now clearly leaking from the well.

Read more: http://www.drillingahead.com/page/chevron-ks-endeavor-platform-on-fire-off-nigeria-coast-possible-b?xg_source=activity#ixzz1kAmDvzNR

I wonder if the FG (Dept of Petroleum Resources) is taking any action regarding this incident.

Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by member67023: 1:23pm On Feb 06, 2012
Two weeks gone and this rig is still burning.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by lapazarian: 7:51pm On Jun 30, 2012
Close out on this thread. Heard the fire quit on its own while a relief drilling campaign was mobilised. The well has since been killed, plugged and abandoned. No major environmental issues as it was a gas well, the condensate either burnt or was vaporised. 2 missing ppl from the incident were never found. May they rest in peace.
Re: Chevron Report That An Oil Rig Caught Fire Near Niger Delta by jonathanlange: 8:27pm On Apr 02, 2016
Hi, my name is Jonathan and I am a litigation assistant for attorneys in California who represent persons in the nearby coastal communities for damages suffered because of the KS Endeavor explosion.

We are interested in talking with anyone who may have information about what happened before, during and after the explosion, both in terms of what caused the blowout, and what pollution and other materials were released into the surrounding waters as a result.

If anyone out there has information on this tragedy, please post a reply to this thread and provide a way for me to get in touch with you. Or you can send me a direct message via the Nairaland website.

We will guarantee confidentiality if requested.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ganduje: Kano Assembly Vows To Continue With Investigation Despite Court Order / Ngige: Godfathers Removed Me For Protecting Anambra Treasury / Cloned PVCs Cannot Be Used On Election Day – Jega

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.