Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala (3661 Views)

Senate Reveals Mtn’s N300bn Proposal As Settlement For Fine / Sheriff Still Under N300bn Borno Allocation Probe –EFCC / Female Suicide Bomber Refuses To Strike In Borno (pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by patrikobi: 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2012
You are here: Home / Business / Business & Economy / Nigeria lost N300bn to strike – Okonjo-Iweala
Nigeria lost N300bn to strike – Okonjo-Iweala
January 17, 2012 by Ifeanyi Onuba 58 Comments

The Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has said that based on Gross Domestic Product estimate, the week-long strike ordered by the organised labour to protest the removal of petrol subsidy cost the country about N300bn.

The minister gave the figure on a television programme monitored by our correspondent on Monday in Abuja.

She noted that the amount was not more than that because the economy was not totally shut down as a result of the strike.

The six-day industrial action was suspended on Monday six hours after President Goodluck Jonathan reduced the pump price of petrol from N141 per litre to N97.

Explaining the implication of the action, the minister said that if the economy was totally shut down, the country would have lost about N500bn for the period the strike lasted.

Okonjo-Iweala explained that while the protests paralysed economic activities in some states, those in the South-East region were bubbling with economic activities.

She said, “I think we can determine the amount lost when the GDP is considered and that would amount to about N500bn. But don’t forget that the economy was not totally shut because we still had some people who went about their normal businesses. So, it will not be right to say that because there were protests in some few cities like Lagos and Abuja, then the whole economy was totally shut down.

“I am sure you are aware that economic activities were not paralysed in the South-East states and some other areas, and if you put that into consideration, then we can say that the economy lost about N300bn to the strike action.”

The Central Bank Governor, Mr. Lamido Sanusi, had said last week that the country was losing N100bn daily to the strike.

The minister commended the organised labour for suspending the strike, adding that the move would ensure the revival of economic activities in the country.

She also said that the Federal Government would continue to pay subsidy on petrol but at a reduced cost to the country.

According to her, instead of the initial N76 per litre, which government was paying as subsidy, it would now have to contend with N44 per litre.

The N44, according to her, is the difference between the reduced price of N97 and the market price of N141 per litre.culled from http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/nigeria-lost-n300bn-to-strike-okonjo-iweala/

Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by GeneralGEJ: 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
I dont know - why i employed this ugly woman grin - They say she has sense - ok i will manage her for bit longer.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by Wily1Wily: 3:23pm On Jan 17, 2012
I still don't know the reason why Yorubas are afraid of her.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by EkoIle1: 3:41pm On Jan 17, 2012
“I am sure you are aware that[b] economic activities were not paralysed in the South-East states[/b] and some other areas, and if you put that into consideration, then we can say that the economy lost about N300bn to the strike action.”

What else is new? We know ibo and the creek losers are lazy and incompetent people, they have no self worth, no sense of belonging. Why not just come out and say what your dumb and tribal a//ss wanted to say.

I can't believe we have these tunnel visioned and tribal clowns in government.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by Seun(m): 4:18pm On Jan 17, 2012
She was trying to say they continued to work in spite of the strike.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by doctokwus: 4:19pm On Jan 17, 2012
Another reason y she is far from reality.So because some, ah,what a waste of energy;anything u say madam
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jan 17, 2012
edit - nigeria lost 300bn to the foolishness of diezani
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by talktrue1(m): 4:22pm On Jan 17, 2012

The Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has said that based on Gross Domestic Product estimate, the week-long strike ordered by the organised labour to protest the removal of petrol subsidy cost the country about N300bn.

The Central Bank Governor, Mr. Lamido Sanusi, had said last week that the country was losing N100bn daily to the strike.

According to Sanusi, N100bn x 6 days = N600bn

So whom do we believe now?
But I know its far more than that because only airline lost more than N300bn
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by slap1(m): 4:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nigeria. . . Poor People, Rich Nation.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by lao(f): 4:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
Nigerians lost N300bn or Jonathan and his peers lost N300bn   I don't see how the money get into the hands of the masses or how the money is benefiting the masses.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by jedisco(m): 4:28pm On Jan 17, 2012
Eko Ile:

What else is new? We know ibo and the creek losers are lazy and incompetent people, they have no self worth, no sense of belonging. Why not just come out and say what your dumb and tribal a//ss wanted to say.

I can't believe we have these tunnel visioned and tribal clowns in government.
And the Yoruba folks are so hardworking, competent, full of self worth and with every sense of belonging.

I think you should learn to accommodate other peoples opinion without resorting to insults.
I personally was in support of subsidy removal but I didn't call those with other views names
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by drstan(m): 4:40pm On Jan 17, 2012
But despite d strike naira stil remain steady nd ghana cedi los, http://Thisdaylive.com/articles/wdas-naira-stable-on-moderate-trading/107329/
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:44pm On Jan 17, 2012
The figure is far higher than what she is claiming.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by xanadu333: 4:56pm On Jan 17, 2012
that's good.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by 1025: 5:00pm On Jan 17, 2012
and how much have we lost to pdp and their fraudulent members/rulers?
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jan 17, 2012
That's the next President of the Federal Republic. President Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, not a bad name
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by IOludayo(m): 5:34pm On Jan 17, 2012
We exclusively represent Aglomar SL, Monaco, Spain, makers of 2 in 1 dual purpose plaster paint and interior decoration products. Our products save you the costs of cement, paint and sand as well as painting and plastering wages. They have been successfully used in Lagos and Ogun States. It provides a unique, water proof finishing for interior and exterior use with the paint being durable for 12 years. It gives your building a unique, beautiful and classy look. It can be used for homes, factories, hotels etc

We wish to partner with individuals, architects engineers, estate developers and builders throughout the country. Contact Ugo-Rosis & Associates on 081 8836 0168, 081 3223 2989. Distributors and marketers wanted nationwide.

see us online at /ugo-rosis OR connect with the Biz Dev Manager on facebook.com/isaacbiz
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by gentlegg(m): 5:37pm On Jan 17, 2012
So these guys make up to that in this country, yet they said without subsidy removal Nigeria will die. embarassed
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by niddamugu(m): 5:51pm On Jan 17, 2012
Bunch of confused people, When there is too much money to spend you don't need to hold back. just be reckless with figures and spending.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jan 17, 2012
N300 billion - now here is the kicker, ask her to give you a breakdown of how she arrived at that sum - yanshes will start leaking grin and her's is closer to the masses than she assumes grin grin
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by ceejayluv(m): 6:38pm On Jan 17, 2012
My estimate: Nigeria's GDP = $300bn (2009 estimate).

1 day's loss= 300bn/365 = $821.9m.
Total loss = 821.9*6 = $4.93bn.
Dunno the % contribution of oil in the GDP.
But at 2 million bpd and 40% royalty accruing to govt and $100 per barrel
oil revenue = 2m*100*0.4*7 = $480m durin d strike.
Net loss = $4.45bn
of course some commercial activities still went on, say at 30% level
loss = 0.7*4.45= 3.115bn
which gives 'actual' net loss of 482.8 BILLION NAIRA.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by yeswecan(m): 6:47pm On Jan 17, 2012
It is hard to accept any 'branded estimated' data that comes out Nigeria. " Mr. Lamido Sanusi, had said last week that the country was losing N100bn daily to the strike " and now Okonjo-Iweala with a different figure. I think they are both wrong.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by manny4life(m): 7:05pm On Jan 17, 2012
voltron:

N300 billion - now here is the kicker, ask her to give you a breakdown of how she arrived at that sum - yanshes will start leaking grin and her's is closer to the masses than she assumes grin grin

Perhaps, if you read the first part of the article and I quote;

The bold portion there is the key word, she used 2012 estimate to determine how much we loose per day. I really don't know how much else breakdown you're looking for, It's bold and clearly written.

@ceejayluv,

To be honest, I don't know where you got your estimates that Nigeria's GDP figures were $300; Nigeria's real GDP numbers are way in the mid 200 range. Take a good look at WEO Reports of the IMF, you will see for yourself. According to last years report by the Statistician General, Crude Oil accounted for less than 13% in average of last year GDP.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by ifeci: 9:16pm On Jan 17, 2012
so they make this much na im dem no wan give subsidy? ugly Bit.,ch
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by gerona: 10:19pm On Jan 17, 2012
So how much has the fraud perpetrated by her and her cronnies cost Nigeria. Make she go siddon for gutter.
Re: Nigeria Lost N300bn To Strike – Okonjo-iweala by buJu234: 9:02am On Jan 18, 2012
that means there is alot of money in Nigeria o,

for 1wk= min.300bn
then 52wk= min. 52*300=15.6 trillion naira

and our total budget = max. 8 trillion naira

then where is the remainder going to,

o boy i think its time 4 me to join either d PDP or d cabal, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Suspected Fulani Herdsmen Kill Two STF Policemen In Jos / DPR To Raid Fuel Stations Over Under-dispensing / Obasanjo’s Opinion About #our5k Has Got Everyone Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.