Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,680 members, 7,816,783 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? (6035 Views)

For Married Peps Only: A Favourite Pastime Between You And Your Boo / Should Parents Have A Favourite Among Kids? / Is It Possible To Get Pregnant Two Days Before The Period? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by slimyem: 1:27am On Jan 18, 2012
so i had an argument with a friend on this issue and decided to bring it up on here.
My friends says there's always a favourite child and i say 'not in all cases' basing my argument and example on my family and the fact that i didnt see any sign of favouritism while growing up and still havent till now.
What do you think?
Does it makes sense to have a favourite amongst your children?
What are its positives and negatives?
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by tpia5: 1:45am On Jan 18, 2012
Who are these witches concerning themselves with other people's children?

Go and fixate on your own or is it by force to open thread.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by moremi2008(m): 1:54am On Jan 18, 2012
Let's not deceive ourselves. Each parent always has a favorite child. However, the reasons for liking one child just a LITTLE bit more than the rest vary. Sometimes, a child behaves or looks just like the mum or dad. Sometimes, the favorite child is the first child, the brainiest child or the most responsible. Occasionally, the favorite child might be the most athletic or the most outgoing.

I am my Mum's favorite because we share a LOT of similar traits like generosity to the point of foolishness, outgoing character, last-minute planning, quick tempers and strong empathy for others. My younger sister is probably brainier than I am but she is kinda stingy like my Dad and she is the family introvert (she was my Dad's favorite when he was alive). My other siblings are little teenagers and are completely irrelevant because we the adults don't really think too much about them unless its time to buy them clothes/shoes/electronic gadgets and pay their boarding school fees!  They came MUCH later and they have never really fit into our adult world. grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by slimyem: 3:13am On Jan 18, 2012
tpia@:

hello??
Did something snap up there?
Do you need help?
The health section is there for you.
All it'll take is just a click.
You'll be alright.okay?
I await your testimony. grin wink
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by tpia5: 3:26am On Jan 18, 2012
^^witches and b!tches like you are irritating.

like i said, go and chew up your own kids or is it possible you type here out of frustration.

of course after lapping up your vomit as you showed in food section.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mutter(f): 10:46am On Jan 18, 2012
I do not have a favourite child. My kids are all different and have different needs. Some simply need more attention but that does not mean you love the child more. Sometimes one has to be careful with kids because kids can be real sensitive and feel that they are not as loved as the other child.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by freecocoa(f): 12:12pm On Jan 18, 2012
@Tpia I've asked you to fill me on this witch thing so I go know people to avoid here abeg,I nefa wan die. grin

@OP,yeah some parents have favorites amongst their kids,I'm a typical example of that.

My dad doesn't joke with me till tomorrow,it caused a lot of trouble when my siblings and I were much younger,at times it even causes a little brouhahaha between my parents,I don't know how possible it is for a kid to be favorite for both parents but my siblings sometimes accused our mum of loving me more too but she always denied it saying"I love you all equal" though I noticed she had a certain way of handling me,she just never admitted it.

I knew I was(is) the special one for my dad as he doesn't even try to hide it,he says it without mincing words,often using me as an example of a perfect child when scolding my siblings.

As a kid who was very introverted,I clung to my dad a lot distancing myself from my siblings,I only played with them(especially my bro) on few occasions, then it seemed like they hated me but my mum like the wise woman she was did her best to salvage the situation.

As I grew older I saw the danger playing daddy's girl was doing to my relationship with my siblings and started to get closer to my siblings,I thank God for my mum who played a great role in that.

My dad is a very loving man who loves all his kids but he just can't help showing a special type of affection when it comes to me,the funny thing about it is that I'm even the most stubborn out of all my siblings.

I don't advice any parent to show favoritism cos believe me it can spoil something,it almost did in my family.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by ronkebp(f): 3:30pm On Jan 18, 2012
Just wondering how a mother would have a favourite amongst her children. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by jaybee3(m): 3:33pm On Jan 18, 2012
ronkebp:

Just wondering how a mother would have a favourite amongst her children. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Perfectly possible and somewhat understandable sometimes
I'm supposed to be the fav simply because i'm the only boy as well as being the last with six elder sisters. tongue tongue
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 3:58pm On Jan 18, 2012
ronkebp:

Most of the time it is not deliberate and it is subconscious. It may happen because of the way each child responds to the parent. Let's face it, children love their parents in varying degrees and for different reasons. Belief it or not, you will love a particular child more than the rest. However, you MUST be fair at all times irrespective of that love you have.

People seem not to understand the importance and meaning of the word 'Duty' anymore. Summary is:

You cannot love your children equally, but you have a DUTY to treat them fairly and equitably!
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by emofine2(f): 4:36pm On Jan 18, 2012
jay bee:

Perfectly possible and somewhat understandable sometimes
I'm supposed to be the fav simply because i'm the only boy as well as being the last with six elder sisters.  tongue tongue

Really? I never knew you were yarning true last time. You're in a similar position to my brother then. I even used to suspect my brother was the favourite once upon a time due to the reasons you listed but I discovered otherwise.

maclatunji:

You cannot love your children equally, but you have a DUTY to treat them fairly and equitably!

I've always understood that parents love their children differently but isn't possible that the strength of the love they have for each child could be "equal" (for some parents at least).
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 4:44pm On Jan 18, 2012
^You mean you discovered you are the favourite or your brother is actually an alien from outer space
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by emofine2(f): 4:46pm On Jan 18, 2012
maclatunji:

^You mean you discovered you are the favourite or your brother is actually an alien from outer space

B) my brother is actually an alien from outer space grin
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by jaybee3(m): 4:49pm On Jan 18, 2012
emöfine:

Really? I never knew you were yarning true last time. You're in a similar position to my brother then. I even used to suspect my brother was the favourite once upon a time due to the reasons you listed but I discovered otherwise.

Yes ohhhhh
Kinda suck though cos growing up I never had someone to play with and the few friends i had at the time weren't allowed to visit.
So many things that happened in the past that i wished i had a brother to talk to who might have been able to guide me accordingly.
Anyhoo, iI'msure momma still proud of me so nothing do me
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by emofine2(f): 5:01pm On Jan 18, 2012
jay bee:

Yes ohhhhh
Kinda suck though cos growing up I never had someone to play with and the few friends i had at the time weren't allowed to visit.
So many things that happened in the past that i wished i had a brother to talk to who might have been able to guide me accordingly.
Anyhoo, iI'msure momma still proud of me so nothing do me

I get what you mean. I even wanted a brother for my brother when I was younger (and to neutralize the female presence).
Funnily enough my brother never cared for an additional brother. Who needs brothers when you have six loving sisters eh grin tongue
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by jaybee3(m): 5:04pm On Jan 18, 2012
emöfine:

I get what you mean. I even wanted a brother for my brother when I was younger (and to neutralize the female presence).
Funnily enough my brother never cared for an additional brother. Who needs brothers when you have six loving sisters eh grin tongue
Nice spin, but sisters aren't known to be good at tutoring when it comes to getting the first girl, getting your first sampling et al
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by iice(f): 6:11pm On Jan 18, 2012
In my family, it seems the favoritism is by turns.  For sometime it's one of us, then it shifts to another, then to another and to another.  And cycle starts all over again.  Now it's my turn grin  And frankly, growing up, we all (siblings) could careless about who is favorite so long as we are treated fairly.  Glad even that someone gets to be favorite, because that means no eagle eye on those are not in the spotlight.    Now though, as we are grown. . .the favoritism, we see as their way to still hold on to us as their babies tongue
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by lastpage: 9:16am On Jan 19, 2012
From my own experience, l will conclude that Parents absolutely do have a favorite child.

Like someone said, as good Parent has to "play it down" so as not to cause friction between siblings.

Favorite child is not always the "best child" in terms of brilliance, beauty, athleticism or any of the "positive points" we think about, it could just be that he/she "strikes a chord" in the parent's heart! shocked grin

For example, growing up, l was stubborn, daring and very adventurous, maybe thats what my Parents like about me but it sure got me into a lot of trouble. Me and my Mum are always at loggerheads even though we could not do without each other for a minute! kiss angry

She can go to any length for me and l would die for her but like Tom & Jerry, you need to see us argue every day!

Out of my children, my second son seems to be my favorite! (I will never admit it to his face or let his other siblings know this lipsrsealed ).

He is not the most handsome or most brilliant of my children but somehow, l just see myself in him!.

Every time l look at him, l see myself "at his age", just like replaying a film!
And when he does some naughty things, l will just smile and ruse to myself "if no be say l don see/do that thing before, l for show you Pepper"! grin grin

The thing is to try to "achieve a balance" that would not upset the other kids, the family as a whole  and would not be a "burden" on that favorite child him/herself.

Lastpage
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by maclatunji: 9:25am On Jan 19, 2012
lastpage:

From my own experience, l will conclude that Parents absolutely do have a favorite child.

Like someone said, as good Parent has to "play it down" so as not to cause friction between siblings.

Favorite child is not always the "best child" in terms of brilliance, beauty, athleticism or any of the "positive points" we think about, it could just be that he/she "strikes a chord" in the parent's heart! shocked grin

For example, growing up, l was stubborn, daring and very adventurous, maybe thats what my Parents like about me but it sure got me into a lot of trouble. Me and my Mum are always at loggerheads even though we could not do without each other for a minute! kiss angry

She can go to any length for me and l would die for her but like Tom & Jerry, you need to see us argue every day!

Out of my children, my second son seems to be my favorite! (I will never admit it to his face or let his other siblings know this lipsrsealed ).

He is not the most handsome or most brilliant of my children but somehow, l just see myself in him!.

Every time l look at him, l see myself "at his age", just like replaying a film!
And when he does some naughty things, l will just smile and ruse to myself "if no be say l don see/do that thing before, l for show you Pepper"! grin grin

The thing is to try to "achieve a balance" that would not upset the other kids, the family as a whole and would not be a "burden" on that favorite child him/herself.

Lastpage

EL CLASSICO!
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by r231(m): 9:32am On Jan 19, 2012
tpia@:

undecided undecided
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Nobody: 9:43am On Jan 19, 2012
@ poster, I believe that there is and will continue to be a favorite child. Most parents understand the implication of making it obvious they are always conscious of their action not to draw undue attention towards the child or wound others emotional and psychologically. My parents have never treated any of us differently, but we once triked my dad into confessing who his favorite was and reason for that. You might be surprise reasons while parents pick favorites. My mum till date is yet to give it out. She would put a straight face and see "u all are my favorites". I guess she was just being a dutch politician.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Sholaf(f): 10:00am On Jan 19, 2012
In the eyes of my mum, her only son can do no wrong,
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by gendebs(m): 10:01am On Jan 19, 2012
hw do u expect a mother to love a child dat understands her and d one that don't understand her equally, a child dat comes first in class and a child dat repeat a class equally, a child dat gives and a stingy child equally, a cheerful child and d one dat likes been alone equally, an obedient child and disobidient child equally, a child dat reason with parent and the one that don't equally. D truth of d matter is dat, it's nt possible because they don't share the same character.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by freecocoa(f): 10:10am On Jan 19, 2012
lastpage:

l just see myself in him!.

My mum often told me she saw herself in me,I guess that was why she excused most of the things I did as a child,especially being very stubborn,I can swear that sometimes when I do something that's supposed to get her angry,she just smiles and shakes her head. Though she never admitted I was her favorite. I can't seem to understand why my dad is very affectionate towards me that he doesn't even care whose ox is gored while at it.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by freecocoa(f): 10:18am On Jan 19, 2012
gendebs:

hw do u expect a mother to love a child dat understands her and d one that don't understand her equally, a child dat comes first in class and a child dat repeat a class equally, a child dat gives and a stingy child equally, a cheerful child and d one dat likes been alone equally, an obedient child and disobidient child equally, a child dat reason with parent and the one that don't equally. D truth of d matter is dat, it's nt possible because they don't share the same character.
Are you trying to say they love the goody goody child more? If so then I'll boldly tell you that's not true cos my elder sister is like a dove,very obedient,kind,cheerful etc but she gets no special treatment,I'm like really stubborn,like being by myself,often didn't cooperate with them as kids but had so much attention and was really pampered by my dad.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by stepo707: 10:22am On Jan 19, 2012
There is always a favorite.Even in the bible there are some references to that e.g Joseph the dreamer
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by mukina2: 10:38am On Jan 19, 2012
I knew i was the favourite child , and they openly showed me that, My mum did when she was here, even though we fought a lot, my dad , does that a lot, i used to get whatever i want, he will tell people ' i wish she was a boy., she is so much like me' i sometimes get the toughest  punishments  angry,then i use to  hate it but now i realised it was for my own good,only annoying part is he tends to forget i am no longer a child angry grin, my aunt too. Despite the fact that everyone knew i was the fave, it never caused friction,for they all knew why and we all lived as one. smiley
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by slimyem: 11:15am On Jan 19, 2012
maybe i havent been quite discerning enough as regards this issue in my own family.i have tried to look into it and i still havent found anything that has given any of my sibling or me away as a favourite both with dad and mum.
They treat everyone of us the same way,mete out punishments as at when deserved the same way and care a lot if an ant as much as bite any of us.
We all get whatever reasonable thing we want as at when due too.
Every child seems to be a specially loved child in his/her own way in my family.
Maybe i'm just not seeing what y'all are seeing.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by cardoso111(m): 11:16am On Jan 19, 2012
OUR CREATOR ADMIRES US INDIVIDUALLY BASED ON OUR DIFFERENCES NOT OUR SIMILARITIES.
THERE SHOULD BE NO FAVOURITE BUT CHILDREN DIFFER INTHEIR NEEDS.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Chukkasy(m): 11:45am On Jan 19, 2012
There's always a fav child 4 each parent, 4rm my careful observation, i've noticed that fathers luv their first daughters more, whilst mothers luv their first sons more; may not be 100%, but 9 times outta 10, i've found that 2 b true.
Re: Is It Possible Not To Have A Favourite Amongst One's Children? by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 19, 2012
slimyem:

maybe i havent been quite discerning enough as regards this issue in my own family.i have tried to look into it and i still havent found anything that has given any of my sibling or me away as a favourite both with dad and mum.
They treat everyone of us the same way,mete out punishments as at when deserved the same way and care a lot if an ant as much as bite any of us.
We all get whatever reasonable thing we want as at when due too.
Every child seems to be a specially loved child in his/her own way in my family.
Maybe i'm just not seeing what y'all are seeing.

It's mostly conspicuous where there are more benefits or somethings are at stake.I havent talked with my sister in 8 years since she knew i'm my parent favourite.I felt my parent made mistake letting my siblings to know their special love for me which is threatening the bond within the children now.So you may never notice until your parent do you a big favour that others do not get.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice Pls: Having Intimacy With My Wife After 3 Months Of Giving Birth / How To Communicate With My Yoruba Husband's Family / Lack Of Intimacy With Hubby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.