Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? (25948 Views)

Past Adu: Yoruba Christians Have Peculiar Spiritual Challenges – Daily Sun / Adeyinka Grandson's Message To Yoruba Muslims / The Lost Yoruba Tribe - Yoruba Muslims Of Sierra Leone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 5:35pm On Jan 19, 2012
I'm a yoruba like everyone in my family but our ancestors were not even Nigerian but from different countries- We dont know anything other than yoruba. . . .  lol is it my fault that my ancestors loved yoruba language/culture/way of living so much they decided to become yorubanized and marry with indigenous yorubas of Nigeria?

what crap.

you'd better try the igbo jew angle. Might make more sense.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Dede1(m): 5:44pm On Jan 19, 2012
Katsumoto:

I hope you are not implying that Afonja was a Muslim because he wasn't. Betrayal is part of any normal society; the larger the society, the more pronounced the betrayal. There were more betrayals per day in the Roman empire than there were during all of the Oyo Empire. Afonja's case is not that special in any case.

When did you become a statistician to know that the number of Muslims is increasing? In any case, I am sure it will not be a problem.

I guess you know better than the above post. It would be unforgettable blunder on my part if I remotely insinuate Omo agbaya Afonja was a Muslim.

It does not take a statistician to conclude there is increase in number of Yoruba who are Muslims. A day spent in Yoruba land holds all the answers.

@T8ksy

You are a hungry ninny. Afonja’s incarnate.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 5:48pm On Jan 19, 2012
Dede1:

I guess you know better than the above post. It would be unforgettable blunder on my part if I remotely insinuate Omo agbaya Afonja was a Muslim.

It does not take a statistician to conclude there is increase in number of Yoruba who are Muslims. A day spent in Yoruba land holds all the answers.

So what were you suggesting with the comment below?

Dede1:

Yoruba must deal with the issue of increasing number of Muslims among them. The case of Afonja is still fresh in our collective but historical memories. smiley smiley

Please connect the dots for me. How can we connect the alleged rising number of Muslims in Yorubaland to Afonja's betrayal?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 6:01pm On Jan 19, 2012
It appears that you are taking this debate as some sort of superiority of the Yorubas over others. That is not the case. All groups are unique and special in their own ways. I am only debating about the UNIQUENESS of the Yoruba vis-a-vis subjective harmony in a multi-cultural and multi-religious society. The Yorubas were not the only groups in the world that were taken as slaves to new countries. There are many examples of that all over the world. The Yoruba are however the only group that were transplanted in strange lands that not only continued with their system of beliefs, culture, and religion but also converted and assimilitated other cultural and religious beliefs.

well, for starters i never took it as some sort of superiority because when u initially posted your write-up, i didnt debate it because to me there wasn't anything unique about it but just had to leave u to your belief system. and i guess because u felt inferior after i gave reason why hausa-fulani muslims do not respect yoruba muslims, u insinuated that i made that comment because i felt they were the ones who introduced islam to yorubas. and then decided to post your comment again with my moniker addressed to it, and that was why i debated and gave u reasons why it is not unique to yoruba alone and i gave u examples of how nigeria groups have been able to modify religion to suit their customs and language but  it wasn’t good enough for you cos to you it is only yoruba that can do such because you only understand the dynamics of yorubaness and not those of other nigerian groups. the people in calabar were even able to modify christianity and ended up with olumba olumba obu.

For instance, there are Yorubas in Salvador who can not point out the location of Yorubaland on a map but are ardent Ifa worshippers.

and isnt it ironic that some yoruba who have never set foot outside nigeria do not know anything about yoruba religious traditions and are ardent christians and muslims, while those taken as slaves to far away land were able to preserve the religion? and that also applies other nigerians groups who have people who have never set off outside the country but na dem believe in christianity pass even the oyinbos wey bring am? not to talk of those wey carry mohammed for head.

Similarly, Santeria and Candomble are religions that are mixtures of Ifa/Orisha worshipping and Catholitism in Cuba and Brazil respectively. The Yorubas that were taken to the US and other English Caribbean countries were mixed with other groups so as to stop them retaining their identity. The Yorubas that were taken to Spanish and Portuguese colonies on the other hand were allowed to not only retain their identities but also their religious and cultural beliefs. But guess what, they weren't the only ones allowed to do so but they certainly were the only ones ABLE to do so.

the reason why slaves were taken, where they were take to, and why they were mixed up is none of my business. and they may have been able to do so because they were the dominant group and it may all boil down to numbers. 1000 yoruba-slaves will certainly swallow up 100 slaves from another region. population do help in sustaining culture and the smaller groups who do not have an organized social and political system to fall back on that would resist that of the dominant group are bound to get assimilated into the dominant group over time.   

There are parks and man-made lakes built in Salvador symbolizing Orisha worship. Next month, during the Carnival week in Brazil, there will be carnivals in Rio and Salvador. One of the three parades in Salvador will be one in Pelourinho. Because of the historical significance of Pelourinho, the parade their is more cultural and spiritual unlike the parades in Ondina and Campo Grande which are witnessed by more party revelers. In Pelourinho, there is African music and dance and don't be surprised to see some Yoruba Orisha procession (not a real one). There is a group called Olodum (short for Olodumare) that is very popular in Brazil.

oh really? good.

There is no ETHNIC group that is African-American. They are a group all right. If I am correct, the American cencus does not use Ethnic groups; it uses groups such as Caucasian, hispanic, African-American, Asians, etc

so what is the purpose of that categorization if not to determine ethnicity? african-americans have their own culture within the US and even have their own language ebonics which just like nigerian pidgin and jamaican patois, is a modification of english language to suit their tongue.

You really must name these other groups in Nigeria that have sizeable Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Traditional, etc groups.

i have already given u groups and u said because they were not scattered around african countries demarcated by europeans and do not have enclaves in the diaspora due to slave trade, their case is different. and btw, apart from islam,christianity and traditionalist, do yoruba have a sizable amount of the other religions amongst them? anyway, if it will make u happy, there is a hindu temple in benin and they do have followers who are allowed to practise their religion peacefully without persecution from others.

Your use of America in this case is irrelevant because Americans do not belong to one Ethnic Group. You have to keep up.

and that was why i wondered why u included americans in the first place because if it is the caucasians u were talking about, they are just like african-american who cannot tell what part of europe they came from without going to ancestry.com or taking a dna test so they just identity as "white" while AA identify as "black". however, i was still able to give u an example of how white-americans modified a religion like christianity to suit themselves or was it the black-americans were u talking about? well, those were also able to modify islam to nation of islam to suit themselves, something only the yorubas can do, in your book. so u have to keep up and be clear. which of the americans were u taking about?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 6:02pm On Jan 19, 2012

dont know about that.

i thought they said its igbo muslims who are increasing.

yorubaland has always had large numbers of muslims stretching back generations.

if you spend a day in a muslim town in the southwest, then of course you'll see majorly muslims there.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Obiagu1(m): 6:05pm On Jan 19, 2012
Una still dey here dey give una selves blow.job?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by T8ksy(m): 6:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
Dede1:

It does not take a statistician to conclude[b] there is increase in number of Yoruba who are Muslims[/b]. A day spent in Yoruba land holds all the answers.

@T8ksy

You are a hungry ninny. Afonja’s incarnate.  

And you, my dear "prof", are a damned, shameless and slimy LIAR.

And so what if there's an increasing number of yoruba muslims in the sw? How's that your headache? We yorubas are not shaking!!!

Or is it a case of wishful thinking on your part? Oh well, keep on dreaming but there will never be religious fracas between we yorubas.

I know its difficult for you ibos to understand how we yorubas roll, spiritually but if you like why don't you start another trouble in yorubaland and

see how quick we will be roasting ya' all' flat-headed a.rses.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 6:57pm On Jan 19, 2012
exotik:

and isnt it ironic that some yoruba who have never set foot outside nigeria do not know anything about yoruba religious traditions and are ardent christians and muslims, while those taken as slaves to far away land were able to preserve the religion? and that also applies other nigerians groups who have people who have never set off outside the country but na dem believe in christianity pass even the oyinbos wey bring am? not to talk of those wey carry mohammed for head.

There are Yoruba traditionalists, Santeria and Candomble worshippers, and Christians in Brazil, Cuba, and every other American country. Just as there are Yoruba traditionalists, Christians and Muslims in Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Benin.
exotik:

well, for starters i never took it as some sort of superiority because when u initially posted your write-up, i didnt debate it because to me there wasn't anything unique about it but just had to leave u to your belief system. and i guess because u felt inferior after i gave reason why hausa-fulani muslims do not respect yoruba muslims, u insinuated that i made that comment because i felt they were the ones who introduced islam to yorubas. and then decided to post your comment again with my moniker addressed to it, and that was why i debated and gave u reasons why it is not unique to yoruba alone and i gave u examples of how nigeria groups have been able to modify religion to suit their customs and language but  it wasn’t good enough for you becos but to you it is only yoruba that can do such because you only understand the dynamics of yorubaness and not those of other nigerian groups. the people in calabar were even able to modify christianity and ended up with olumba olumba obu.

Firstly, I mentioned your moniker because my original post on this subject in another was addressed to you. I did that for clarity.

Secondly, you are making assumptions about my religion and ethnicity. In any case, you are wrong on both cases. I was just enjoying having a debate with you on a subject that I have read a lot about. I made no assumptions about your ethnicity or religion. I haven't used any denigrating language on you and I resent your use of 'inferior' on me even though you are wrong about the context.

Thanks
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by okunoba(m): 6:59pm On Jan 19, 2012
Every day in Yoruba land we are losing many muslims to the Pastor Adeboye`s of this World. Islam is a dying religion in Yoruba land. More and more of our people are leaving Islam to become Christians or non believers. Half of the Yoruba Muslim Families I know have all converted. I believe in 20 yrs time less than 20% of us will be practicing muslims.

Education is bringing the natural death of Islam in Yoruba Land. The orisha`s have not abandoned us.

Yoruba kwenu
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 7:07pm On Jan 19, 2012
and i guess because u felt inferior after i gave reason why hausa-fulani muslims do not respect yoruba muslims

. . . . when we start slaughtering ibos they will.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Obiagu1(m): 7:10pm On Jan 19, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

. . . . when we start slaughtering ibos they will.   

I pray for the day it will begin. I'm seriously waiting for it, should probably be termed Nigeria Final Showdown.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 7:11pm On Jan 19, 2012
Firstly, I mentioned your moniker because my original post on this subject in another was addressed to you. I did that for clarity.

Secondly, you are making assumptions about my religion and ethnicity. In any case, you are wrong on both cases. I was just enjoying having a debate with you on a subject that I have read a lot about. I made no assumptions about your ethnicity or religion. I haven't used any denigrating language on you and I resent your use of 'inferior' on me even though you are wrong about the context.

we all fall victims to assumptions online because it is difficult to tell the true intent/identity of someone u are having a conversation with who u cannot see physically. so my apologies if my assumptions came off as an insult.

however, if u are not yoruba and maybe who knows, you are probably not nigerian? why are you still adamant that this topic is only unique to yorubas even though i have clearly stated in my comments how it is not?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 7:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
okunoba:

Every day in Yoruba land we are losing many muslims to the Pastor Adeboye`s of this World. Islam is a dying religion in Yoruba land. More and more of our people are leaving Islam to become Christians or non believers. Half of the Yoruba Muslim Families I know have all converted. I believe in 20 yrs time less than 20% of us will be practicing muslims.

Education is bringing the natural death of Islam in Yoruba Land. The orisha`s have not abandoned us.

Yoruba kwenu

your contributions are always 100% igbocentric.

your head not being correct explains this particular post of yours.

you spawn of satan should just continue exposing yourselves on this thread.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by dayokanu(m): 7:26pm On Jan 19, 2012
^^ Nice one tpia, I was about to reply to the idi0t.

okunoba:

Yoruba kwenu

If you are Yoruba like you have always claimed, You should have some Moslems in your extended family, How about you just go ahead and kill them.

The normal Yorubas dont see any biggie with religion. Fashola married a still practising Xtian, Same with Tinubu.

We all eat Xmas chicken together as well as eat Sallah ram. My dad a christian every year buys ram for his aunt a practising Moslem
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by okunoba(m): 7:57pm On Jan 19, 2012
@tpia, waitin concern Ndigbo with my talk. I am talking from reality, Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in droves everyday. If u are Yoruba u must have muslims that have converted to Christianity, but I doubt if u will find a Yoruba Christian converting to Islam. Educated Yoruba`s have been leaving Islam from the 60s, the first Ibadan Doctor, Dr Agbaje, was born into a prominent Yoruba muslim family, Salami Agbaje, but the Dr converted to christianity after his education and many more from the same family have all abandoned imolele(forced religion) religion. Alhamdulillah
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by NegroNtns(m): 8:01pm On Jan 19, 2012
Okunoba,

If every Yoruba became christian. . . we all would still be one Yoruba! Unlike iboland where the freeborn christian is not allowed to intermarry or interact with the osu born christian. What kind of christianity is that?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by okunoba(m): 8:08pm On Jan 19, 2012
@Dayokanu, Half of my family are Muslims, but like I wrote earlier almost half of them have converted to christianity or are just non believers. U are right about muslims and christians eating and celebrating together, I am a product of that union, mom muslim and dad christian, but that doesn`t take away from the fact that many Yoruba`s are leaving Islam to become pentecostal Christians or non believers. With education more of us will continue to leave Islam and hopefully christianity as well. We need to abandon dogma and embrace reason.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 8:15pm On Jan 19, 2012
okunoba:

@tpia, waitin concern Ndigbo with my talk. I am talking from reality, Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in droves everyday. If u are Yoruba u must have muslims that have converted to Christianity, but I doubt if u will find a Yoruba Christian converting to Islam. Educated Yoruba`s have been leaving Islam from the 60s, the first Ibadan Doctor, Dr Agbaje, was born into a prominent Yoruba muslim family, Salami Agbaje, but the Dr converted to christianity after his education and many more from the same family have all abandoned imolele(forced religion) religion. Alhamdulillah

you are talking crap, and as i said before, out of your azz.

your post shows nothing but mischief and total ignorance of the subject matter.

if yoruba traditional religion is still going strong centuries after colonization, then explain how you arrived at the conclusion Islam isnt doing the same.

rubbish.

there are Islamic scholars of yoruba extraction whose work I check out every now and then. Most people arent aware such scholars exist because they keep a low profile but are nevertheless still very active in the Islamic world.

anyway, those of you hoping for a return of the pre-civil war violence, ori ara yin le ma fi gbe.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by okunoba(m): 8:59pm On Jan 19, 2012
@tpia, U not coherent, what is the crap? that Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in droves, a known but unspoken fact, where is the mischief in speaking the truth.

Ignorance? Sorry mate talking from experience, history and observation of Yoruba history.

Yoruba traditional religion is going but not strong, most that practice it do it in hiding, u don`t hide when strong, only when weak.

Do u honestly know many Yoruba christians that have converted to Islam? I doubt it, but I doubt if u can honestly say u don`t know many Yoruba`s muslims that have converted to Christianity even within the confinement of your family setting? Assuming u Yoruba like me?

Yes, we have Yoruba muslim scholars but that doesn`t take away from the fact that we Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in our thousands every year.  There is a movement away from Islam in Yoruba land, without a fight.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 9:11pm On Jan 19, 2012
exotik:

we all fall victims to assumptions online because it is difficult to tell the true intent/identity of someone u are having a conversation with who u cannot see physically. so my apologies if my assumptions came off as an insult.

Thanks, we cool.  wink

You know it's funny. On a debate about Oduduwa's origins, some folks assumed I am Edo because of my views on Oduduwa's origins.  grin  

exotik:

however, if u are not yoruba and maybe who knows, you are probably not nigerian? why are you still adamant that this topic is only unique to yorubas even though i have stated clearly in my comments how it is not?

This may be down to difference of opinion, understanding of the subject, or analyzing the factors.

You have given examples of scenarios that are part captured but not completely. For instance, you talked about Calabar christianity and Olumba Olumba. You talked about Edo Christians, Muslims and Traditionalists. You mentioned different religions in the US, etc but none of them is completely the same as the Yorubas. For instance, the Calabars are mainly in Nigeria and a sizable number are Christians. Edo are also mainly in Nigeria and are mainly Christians but they do take their Culture very seriously (thats why in my view, Oba of Benin is one of the most respected Monarchs in the world). The Americans are made up of many ethnicities who all reside in one country.

Find me one ethnic group who are spread in more than one country and have sizable worshipers in at least three different religions and who practice tolerance for other religions besides their own.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 9:17pm On Jan 19, 2012
okunoba:

@tpia, U not coherent, what is the crap? that Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in droves, a known but unspoken fact, where is the mischief in speaking the truth.

Ignorance? Sorry mate talking from experience, history and observation of Yoruba history.

Yoruba traditional religion is going but not strong, most that practice it do it in hiding, u don`t hide when strong, only when weak.

Do u honestly know many Yoruba christians that have converted to Islam? I doubt it, but I doubt if u can honestly say u don`t know many Yoruba`s muslims that have converted to Christianity even within the confinement of your family setting? Assuming u Yoruba like me?

Yes, we have Yoruba muslim scholars but that doesn`t take away from the fact that we Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in our thousands every year.  There is a movement away from Islam in Yoruba land, without a fight.

Enough with this line of thought already. 'The Yoruba's are leaving Islam in our thousands' - who made Islam the religion of Yoruba people? Yoruba people are free to practice whatever religion they want; is there some catastrophe that will happen if every Yoruba becomes a christian, ifa worshiper or Buddhist? Religion and spirituality is a relationship between an individual and their God/gods. What is it to you if every one else stops being a Muslim or Christian? Do you need others around you before you can pray to your God? This is the problem I have with SOME individuals who see religion as a means of social interaction and cohesion. Practice your religion and leave others to decide for themselves.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2012
Yorubas r lyk a bunch of broom, we believe in UNITY first. I could recalled hw i used to wake up around 4am to prepare food for my Muslem frd who paid me a visit during their last ramadan fasting.
WE ARE ONE PLEASE, DON'T DIVIDE US!
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by exotik: 10:12pm On Jan 19, 2012
For instance, you talked about Calabar christianity and Olumba Olumba. You talked about Edo Christians, Muslims and Traditionalists. You mentioned different religions in the US, etc but none of them is completely the same as the Yorubas.
For instance, the Calabars are mainly in Nigeria and a sizable number are Christians. Edo are also mainly in Nigeria and are mainly Christians but they do take their Culture very seriously (thats why in my view, Oba of Benin is one of the most respected Monarchs in the world). The Americans are made up of many ethnicities who all reside in one country

how do u it expect it to be completely the same when they are not same ethnic groups with same circumstances? for u to expect it to be completely the same does not make sense. well, to any rational being coz even twins born of same mother do not have same behavior and thought-process due to different circumstances and experiences that they go thru, not to talk of ethnic groups who had little or nothing to do with each other.

and how does residing mainly in one country negate the fact the they were able to modify foreign religions? something u thought only the yorubas could do? how does it negate the fact that they have had religious tolerance? another thing u thought was incapable by others apart from yorubas.

Find me one ethnic group who are spread in more than one country and have sizable worshipers in at least three different religions and who practice tolerance for other religions besides their own.

lol, find u?grin and how do u begin to define this your "spread in more than one country" wey u nor wan let me take hear word? is it those who spread to the diaspora voluntarily through migration? or those who got there through slavery?  or those demarcated by europeans? anyway, i have already given u the groups i know with good examples and dont have time to start googling anything for u. so it is either u accept it or not which was the reason i didnt bother debating the issue in the other thread in the first place and just left u to your beliefs.

btw, u keep using the the word "sizable" to make your points but is there any reliable data to show the proportion of yoruba muslims to christians and to traditionalist apart from just hearsay? maybe u should go find me that before throwing "sizable" around to make your point.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 10:44pm On Jan 19, 2012
@ okunoba

keep fishing there.

better get some jobless goons like yourself to help you out.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by okunoba(m): 12:09am On Jan 20, 2012
@Katsumoto, just speaking the truth, are Yoruba people not leaving Islam in droves? We are one no doubt, but many of us don`t want to be Muslims anymore. That is the reality, we are one regardless of religion.

@Tpia, After all these years civility is still not in your dictionary. Lets be civil sis, no reason to be rude. I am sure u can make your point without resulting to the lowest denominator.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 7:45am On Jan 20, 2012
Okunoba, if you want to sylishly bring religious supremacy and division into this unitarian discussion, then some of us are ready for you.

To say Muslims are shrinking in Yorubaland is false. I grew up in the part of Yorubaland where I, naively as a young primary school pupil, used to think everybody was a Muslim, because everywhere you went, it's Muslims. I never even knew there was any other festival other than Ileya. So low-keyed Christmas used to be then that, as small boys, then we used to make jest of our Ibo(Christian) neighbours that their celebrations are not as colourful as ours used to be. That was in the late 80s as a young pupil, with narrow worldview and inexposure.

In other words, I am from a part of Yorubaland with 90% Muslims and it has not changed even till now.

By factors majorly tendency of Muslim families to be large(polygamous) and even conversion, Muslims in Yorubaland have never shrunk, and in fact, in the last decade there has been serious re-awakening among Yoruba educated Muslims, through MSSN activities in the tertiary institutions and, much unlike before, many young, educated Muslims, now feel proud to identify themselves as one.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 20, 2012
In your Dr Agbaje example too, despite being subject to conversion to Christianity as part of education by the missionaries then, Yoruba Muslims have their own fair share of early educated Yoruba greats that never left Islam despite the missionary pressure in their days of schooling. Professor Saburi Biobaku, Professor Babs Fafunwa, Justice Taslim Elias, Prof M.O Oyawoye, Alhaji D.S Adegbenro, Alhaji Lateef Jakande and many others come to mind here.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Pukkah: 9:04am On Jan 20, 2012
okunoba:

@tpia, waitin concern Ndigbo with my talk. I am talking from reality, Yoruba`s are leaving Islam in droves everyday. If u are Yoruba u must have muslims that have converted to Christianity, but I doubt if u will find a Yoruba Christian converting to Islam. Educated Yoruba`s have been leaving Islam from the 60s, the first Ibadan Doctor, Dr Agbaje, was born into a prominent Yoruba muslim family, Salami Agbaje, but the Dr converted to christianity after his education and many more from the same family have all abandoned imolele(forced religion) religion.  Alhamdulillah

Point of correction please. The local word for Islam is not 'imolele'. It is 'imole' or 'imale' and has no connotation with 'force'. It came from a local rendition of 'Mali' from where the religion spread to Yorubaland. If it were a negative thing, Muslims won't be referring to themselves that way. However, I think because of this pun, Muslims have largely stopped to refer to themselves that way, preferring 'musulumi' instead.

I guess it is a term that was mischievously spun out of its intended usage and reference.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by tpia5: 11:11am On Jan 20, 2012
And which yoruba person calls imole imolele.

Didnt i point out this okunoba character is extremely fishy?
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Kilode1: 2:00pm On Jan 20, 2012
Katsumoto:

There are parks and man-made lakes built in Salvador symbolizing Orisha worship. Next month, during the Carnival week in Brazil, there will be carnivals in Rio and Salvador. One of the three parades in Salvador will be one in Pelourinho. Because of the historical significance of Pelourinho

. . It seems you already packed your hand luggage. Prof Kasu wanderlust.

I'm not fooled. I know you are not going for the historical experience grin

At topic: We have discussed this several times on NL. To understand the concept of religious plurality WRT yoruba social, religious and cultural worldview, you need to come with a mind ready to learn.

The Irunmoles don't hate.

Like Baba Wande Abimbola brilliantly concluded, Ifa (the concept, not necessarily the religion) will heal the world.

Those who will learn will learn, casting pearls before swines is a fruitless, thankless effort.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Pukkah: 2:07pm On Jan 20, 2012
Kilode?!:

The Irunmoles don't hate.

Like Baba Wande Abimbola brilliantly concluded, Ifa (the concept, not necessarily the religion) will heal the world.

Those who will learn will learn, casting pearls before swines is a fruitless, thankless effort.

You are right. The Ogun, Sango, Ifa, Osun, etc worshippers all co-exist, collaborate and even inter-worship their deities.
Re: Yoruba Christians, Yoruba Muslims. . . .what Is That? by Katsumoto: 2:26pm On Jan 20, 2012
Kilode?!:

. . It seems you already packed your hand luggage. Prof Kasu wanderlust.

I'm not fooled. I know you are not going for the historical experience grin

grin grin grin

Historical ke!!!!!!!!!!! lipsrsealed I will say no more.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

We Know Your Hideouts, Surrender Now, Army Tells B’haram / Dr. Maduka Storms Grand Reception Of Nwobu, Anambra PDP Chairman In Awka / Okorocha, Ihedioha And Nwosu Dance And Merry Together (Video, Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.