Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,064 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun (1932 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie's 'half Of A Yellow Sun' Bags Decade's Best Female Authored / Link To Download Half Of A Yellow Sun Book / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie Wins £30,000 Prize For Her Book, Half Of A Yellow Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by MyneWhite1(f): 4:30am On Jan 29, 2012
Some people have started a petition against the casting of Thandie Newton as Olanna in the bestseller by Chimamanda Adichie which is being made into a movie. If you had asked me before now, I would have said that it should be an All-Nigerian cast. But that could've only been possible if it were Nollywood produced.

Since it's Hollywood/international, I can understand the thought behind choosing her.

Thandie Newton is half-African, and more than that, she's a great actress and highly recognizable by both UK and the US movie goers. She has also been nominated for several awards, maybe this will be her first Oscar nod, and win?

http://www.mynewhitmanwrites.com/2012/01/thandie-newton-in-half-of-yellow-sun-i.html
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by WAVixen: 2:51am On Jan 30, 2012
Its going to be into a movie, wow. That should be an interesting watch.
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by dominique(f): 10:00am On Jan 30, 2012
She doesn't fit olanna's description in anyway (except maybe the fair skin). I don't think she's good for the role but it is Hollywood. They have a way of casting the most unlikey actors For a role and they get results.
When will nollywood start these great books to screenplays?
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by MyneWhite1(f): 11:11pm On Jan 30, 2012
dominique:

She doesn't fit olanna's description in anyway (except maybe the fair skin). I don't think she's good for the role but it is Hollywood. They have a way of casting the most unlikey actors For a role and they get results.
When will nollywood start these great books to screenplays?

Olanna I remember was fair, while her twin was darker.

I agree with you on that question. Until Nollywood starts adapting our books to movies, we can't complain too much.
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by Enoquin(f): 11:23am On Jan 31, 2012
Who says we can't complain? The Television Series Things fall apart back in the oldies was a huge success and was what brought Pete Edochie to limelight. It is a UK movie and as some people have said they have the right to bring in whatever casts but that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain and that nollywood shouldn't cover its face in shame
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by Peaceworld(m): 3:43pm On Jan 31, 2012
Check out THE BLACK BOOK's trailer now on Youtube. On sale in Amazon but not yet listed.
The link is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx1Utp_zGV4
What do y'all think?
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by vescucci(m): 6:57pm On Jan 31, 2012
Perhaps, this is a more sensible thread. The whole wahala is uncalled for if you ask me. As far as I know, you can't take a person's book and adapt it without the permission of the writer and compensation etc. In any case, if they tweaked some things like Olanna's potrayal, does that automatically mean sacrilege of the highest degree? Is the book like a sacred document that must not be tampered with? ESPECIALLY when the writer doesn't seem to give a freaking hoot. I'm really struggling with the whole problem. Perhaps some people have not detoxed from the Occupy Nigeria thingie.
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by Ndipe(m): 12:38am On Feb 01, 2012
He who pays the piper dictates the tune . . .

But seriously, how would it feel like if a white man was cast as Okonkwo in "Things Fall Apart?"
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by deols(f): 7:20am On Feb 01, 2012
A Nigerian I'd prefer
Re: What Do You Think Of Thandie Newton As Olanna In Half A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 07, 2012
Its more than using a Nigerian/ non Nigerian etc thing. Hollywood pumps millions of dollars into movies and they need a return on their investment. They need actors who would @peal to an international market. Thandie newton can sell a movie in ways Genevieve or Rita Dominic cannot even comprehend. At the end what matters is 'how can they make a movie that will make money?
PS I think thandie is a little old and much too thin. Maybe Olanna after the war, but most def not before.
I write @ lgrs-alwaysyours..com

(1) (Reply)

A Scammer On The Prowl AGAIN (fidelis Aganyi) / Pregnant For A Madman (Episode 1) / Help! I Want To Publish My Book

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.