Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,393 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? (11640 Views)

Arsenal To Win The Premiership And D Champions League - T.b Joshua / Which Football Club Are You Crazy About? / Lennon: The Best Right Winger In The Premiership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by freelance(m): 9:20am On Oct 15, 2007
Why are Nigerians so crazy about the English Football Premiership League? wink

I really don't seem to understand why English Football Premiership League commands

some much viewership and energy from Nigerians?

Kindly share your thoughts? wink

Cheers!
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by simplysmat(m): 10:00am On Oct 15, 2007
I don't understand what they all see in the premiership. I think its the fact that the premiership was the first european league brought to Nigeria. I just want to say the Serie-A and La Liga need to be checked out by them guys.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by djcrucifix(m): 10:10am On Oct 15, 2007
honestly?, i have no freaking idea undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by ritchboy(m): 11:48am On Oct 15, 2007
Football = most popular sport in nigeria.
Premiership = best football league in the world.
Is it realy hard to undastand?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 15, 2007
the answer is simple, Thats where the best football is played especially at the EMIRATES STADIUM grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by A40(m): 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2007
@soloreal
I couldnt have come up with a better answer myself

@freelance
Try and watch an Arsenal game this weekend you will be hooked
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2007
It is very exciting to watch cos of the calamitous defending and poor technical input to the game.
An Exciting league is not equal to a competitive league. The top 4 are always constant year in year out like no other league in the world.

The DSTV factor they show only EPL.
The money pumped into the league that enables them to but a lot of pensioneers. grin grin.
The out of this world hype.
The media that does its job well on overbloating mediocrity.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by debosky(m): 7:32pm On Oct 15, 2007
dayokanu:

It is very exciting to watch because of the calamitous defending and poor technical input to the game.
An Exciting league is not equal to a competitive league. The top 4 are always constant year in year out like no other league in the world.

The DSTV factor they show only EPL.
The money pumped into the league that enables them to but a lot of pensioneers. grin grin.
The out of this world hype.
The media that does its job well on overbloating mediocrity.

Wrong - DSTV shows la liga, Serie A and Le Championnat - people simply express their choice by watching what they regard as the most interesting for them.

If they are 'overbloating' mediocrity, how come in the last UEFA CL tourney, 3 out of four clubs in the Semi Final were from this 'mediocre' EPL?

how come in the last 3 seasons, this 'mediocre' league has had a team in each CL final?

How come this 'mediocre' league has a huge chunk of the players in the Fifpro WORLD Footballer of the Year and FIFA WORLD footballer of the year listings?

Poor technical input? Which league in Europe has facilities such as the ACTIM statistical tracker and other sophisticated technology that monitors players' runs, movements and overall performance?

Maybe your definition of 'Technical input' is the coach smoking on the sidelines.

There may be hype alright, but the best players are angling to play in the EPL, if they get enticed (and its not all about money as stats above have shown) who are you dayokanu to say the league isn't the best in the world?

Calamitous defending? MU has the best defensive record in Europe this season, they have not conceded a single goal at home, explain that too.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 8:06pm On Oct 15, 2007
The most exciting players in the world would be between Kaka, Messi, Ronaldinho and they are not in EPL.

How come this 'mediocre' league has a huge chunk of the players in the Fifpro WORLD Footballer of the Year and FIFA WORLD footballer of the year listings?
I tot Spain had the highest number of players in this year fifpro.

Don't mind me I was trying to taunt some people on this blog. The premiership has improved in recent times from what it used to be and credit should be given to them.
Now they are competing favourably in UCL with other leagues
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by debosky(m): 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2007
I get your motives mate, I've seen you do the same to Jackal and co elsewhere wink

dayokanu:

I tot Spain had the highest number of players in this year fifpro.

I said huge chunk, not highest number wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 8:26pm On Oct 15, 2007
Where is Jackal? Let him come and spew his normal stuff ( Bleep this Bleep That)

Well the EPL has benefited from the influx of foreigners just like the La liga and the Serie A They have added quality to it. but at the detriment of the National game just like in Spain.

But sincerely speaking, who would have given a thought to those EPL teams ten years ago now they are a threat.

Imagine Chelsea eliminating my Bayern would have been inconceivable 10-15 years ago but it happened 3 seasons ago.

Arsenal beating Real and Juve en route to the final would have been a scene from a science fiction 10 years ago but it really happened b4 my eyes 2 seasons ago.

Whoever had predicted Chelsea playing 3 out of UCL semis 10 years ago would have won the award for the lunatic of the century beating jackal to it

Or EPL teams in 3 succesive finals. Infact times have changed and we have to start accepting the fact. Though I wish it would be over soon so that the old brigades would come back.

I just hope Milan and Madrid would help the old brigade keep the tradition and they wont allow any new winner for the UCL till we( Bayern) come back next season
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by sage(m): 7:12am On Oct 16, 2007
dayokanu:

Where is Jackal? Let him come and spew his normal stuff ( Bleep this mess That)

Well the EPL has benefited from the influx of foreigners just like the La liga and the Serie A They have added quality to it. but at the detriment of the National game just like in Spain.

But sincerely speaking, who would have given a thought to those EPL teams ten years ago now they are a threat.

Imagine Chelsea eliminating my Bayern would have been inconceivable 10-15 years ago but it happened 3 seasons ago.

Arsenal beating Real and Juve en route to the final would have been a scene from a science fiction 10 years ago but it really happened before my eyes 2 seasons ago.

Whoever had predicted Chelsea playing 3 out of UCL semis 10 years ago would have won the award for the lunatic of the century beating jackal to it

Or EPL teams in 3 succesive finals. Infact times have changed and we have to start accepting the fact. Though I wish it would be over soon so that the old brigades would come back.

I just hope Milan and Madrid would help the old brigade keep the tradition and they wont allow any new winner for the UCL till we( Bayern) come back next season

THANKS A HUNDERED TIMES MAN. My sentiments exactly

For people like us who have been following the champions league for more than 10 years, i feel very sad about what has happened in the past 3yrs

I remember a time when the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea could not beat Fiorentina, Lazio,Broussia Dortmound and Valencia talkless of the european elite

I remember the time when the champions league quaterfinals usually had only one english representative who were for the most part, supsequently trashed out cheesy It used to be a battle mainly b/w teams from Spain, Italy and Germany for the Cup

Eternal european powerhouses and elites for me include

Madrid, Milan tongue, Juventuz, Barca, Bayern, Manchester United and Liverpool and to a slightly lesser extent Ajax and Inter

Sorry Arsenal and Chealsea fans but even Porto have 2 CL in the past 18 years so they have even been more heavyweights than those 2

And please, the english press sucks
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by sage(m): 7:17am On Oct 16, 2007
@Dayokanu

The premiership was crap a few years ago.

A complete retirement waste land

In the past 4yrs it has been badly transformed, thanks in part to Roman A

Its a very high quality league now
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 7:52am On Oct 16, 2007
@ Sage,
Its so painful. The only thing I am glad for is that we have not inducted a new Champions league winner since 1997. I was scared last year cos new winners were inducted

in 1967, 1977,1987,1997 I was scared for 2007 and particularly Chelsea and Arsenal but thankfully AC Milan instilled sanity.

The old brigade should hold forte against the marauding youngsters. Just a pity Bayern and Juve won't be around to join the war against the new breed. A big thank you to

AC Milan for keeping the tradition in the last few years since Madrid has gone down a bit. Bayern would come and join you in the fight to[b] save our Universe from the aliens[/b].
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by tkb417(m): 5:14pm On Oct 16, 2007
@Dayokanu
Ive told you to post less on this forum so you can make sence.
Anyway, i love the way you stylishy covered your folly and bullocks you threw at the EPL clubs after Debosky opened your yansh.

NOTE: There are just maybe two to three clubs all over the world that can confidently play the top four in the EPL.
Maybe AC, Barcelona and Real are the only clubs in the world that can match the top four wit for wit, tactic for tactic. remove past glories, the EPL top four will play any opposition either from Spain or Germany et al.

The EPL is by far the best. personal opinion. La Liga has got just two quality; Real and barca. Valencia has just proven to the whole world, they will loose to Chelsea even if the game is played in Antartica. Arsenal disgraced Sevilla with ease,Liverpool is one of the most dreaded in europe and United of course will quash all those substandard clubs from europe. name them, Deportivo, Bremen, PSV, Valencia, Inter ,Bayern et al

please, dont back to tell me United has not won more than twice. yeah we know.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 7:16pm On Oct 16, 2007
@ TKB
See the teams you are Saying United can beat. Did you write Bayern there? Would you like to remove it now because the last time United played Bayern, Bayern Beat United home and away in 2001 to win the champions league, United can't play Ac Milan, Real and Bayern they would loose but they can play Lille, Deportivo, PSV and Valencia like you mentioned.
Last meeting Bayern beat United home and away, eliminated Arsenal and lost to Chelsea.

You know United has not won more than twice how come you are putting them amongst Europes elites?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by akinalabi(m): 7:27pm On Oct 16, 2007
dayokanu:

It is very exciting to watch because of the calamitous defending

Calamitious can be found in Spain. Small
wonder failed and "going down" straikers
find it easy there.

Akin Alabi
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 7:35pm On Oct 16, 2007
Calamitious can be found in Spain. Small
wonder failed and "going down" straikers
find it easy there.

Are you talking about Shevchenko, Ravanelli, Lombardo, e.t.c?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by akinalabi(m): 7:44pm On Oct 16, 2007
Maybe we can talk about the likes of Kanoute,
Pongolle, Forlan.

A forum post is not enough to name them.

Akin Alabi
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 7:55pm On Oct 16, 2007
Maybe you meant the retirement ground for Zola, Vialli, Casiraghi and Gullit
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by akinalabi(m): 8:00pm On Oct 16, 2007
dayokanu:

Maybe you meant the retirement ground for Zola, Vialli, Casiraghi and Gullit

Maybe.

Nothing new in that. Although Zola peaked
at Chelsea.

Figo is even using the Calcio as a "retiremet
ground".

Anyway, I'm not joining issues here.

Akin Alabi
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 8:23pm On Oct 16, 2007
Fair enough. EPL is also guilty of what you accused the La Liga of i.e expired players
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by folahann(m): 8:39pm On Oct 16, 2007
I don't know why you have to ask this question,because if you really are a true football fan you would't need anybody to tell you why premiership is the most interesting league in the world. Other leagues are trying but they can't meet the standards of PREMIERSHIP, the home of football. If you really want to know more you can send a reply for notification
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by folahann(m): 9:14pm On Oct 16, 2007
This message is written purposely because of Dayokanu's comments.
Now let me tell you,refering to messi,ronaldinho and kaka; this players shine because they are "1 star in the middle of amateurs" and am sure if this players come to the premiership they will find it difficult to cope b'because premiership is full of talents and good play. For example look at what happened to shevchenko(you know it yourself).
In your favourite league like Seria A and La Liga, these leagues have only few good teams. Let's look at La liga, apart from barcelona and Madrid there is no other consistent team in spain. Now seria A, it's only INTER, JUVE and MILAN that are teams to reckon with. But in premiership, you know the best league in the world, we have a lot of good teams who can give real competition. One last thing, have ever thought of why some players shun teams in other leagues that play in the champions league and play in the premiership for teams not in the champions league.   Do you want more, not to talk of bundesliga or French ligue
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 8:00am On Oct 17, 2007
1 star in the middle of amateurs? I beg your pardon. You mean leagues that produced all the world and European footballer of the year for the past 16 years save a few are amateurs. How many world footballer of the year have they produced in the EPL ? None.
How many European footballer of the year in the last 16 years? 1 michael Owen and you call the other world footballers of the year Amateurs!!
Can you still remember the performance of These 3 players against EPL sides particularly Kaka yet you say they play amongst amateurs.

It is only in the EPL that the top 4 is constant year in year out. In the EPL its the top 4 that really tick the others are below dont really make the cut in Europe.
The talents in the EPL are so good that FIFA and UEFA overlook them for awards right?

The attraction in the EPL is the money they pay most players avoid the EPL when they are young and thirsty for success but when they want to retire and they cant play actively again they go to the EPL for their Pension and you would always get a team.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by tkb417(m): 8:30am On Oct 17, 2007
@Dayokanu
how many times will i tell you to make sence when you post? read my posts very well. I stated clearly that we have just three clubs in europe that can confidently play the top four EPL clubs. past glory or no past glory.

Let me tell you a little thing about past glories. Arsenal has not won a UCL title before but Villa has won. Are you saying Villa and Arsenal are mates if they meet on the turf? You must answer this question. If you do, i believe you wont come here again to say nonsence about Bayern winning 4 times. Europe elites as at now are AC MILAN, BARCELONA,REAL MADRID, MANCHESTER UNITED, CHELSEA, LIVERPOOL,ARSENAL.

You know why they are europe's elite, no other club in the world can play them.
Bayern is playing where Sevilla conquered and i cant see any other team in the world that can play those above. Or, you can help my memory grin grin grin

NOTE: forget past titles based on what i told you about Villa, even N'Forest has won it twice!!!. will that say they are better than Chelsea or equal Barcelona.
So shut up. The best players play in the EPL. grin grin

Ill like to tell you something that will cause you some pains grin grin
The best players in Bayern last season ran to the EPL. You know them. Even the GERMAN Captain ran to a club that hasnt won a UCL before shocked shocked shocked. Hargeaves and Ballack grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 9:10am On Oct 17, 2007
I still can't fathom why Manchester United' name keep popping up because they freeze when they play the elites of Europe. Bayern would beat them Black and Blue any day. because the last time they played, Bayern did exactly that to them i.e beating them Black and Blue. Home and away. Bayern still eliminated Real last season or have you forgotten? Last time bayern Played barca in UCL they won home and away, last time Bayern Played Man Utd they won Home and away, Last time Bayern Played Arsenal they eliminated the gunners. So what is your basis for picking your European elites

bayern is playing where Sevilla conquered true. AC played there some years back, Barca played there some years back, Liverpool played there some years back and they have all won the UCL few years after playing UEFA cup. But Man UTD never play UEFA cup and they Hardly win UCL. grin grin grin I don't get it maybe you too should try the UEFA cup to get it right.

The best players play EPL that explains why Kaka, Messi and Ronaldinho are in the EPL? or why several world and European footballers of the year are from the EPL. My guy don't embarrass yourself on the internet blog where many people are reading now!!!

The best players in Bayern last season ran to the EPL. You know them. Even the GERMAN Captain ran to a club that hasnt won a UCL before

Meaning what? the best player in Ac Milan ran to a club that has not won the UCL before. Those players that left bayern have been replaced by better ones.

Don't you know that theres more to Bayern than the players? Players go player come, but Bayern would still remain a great team because of the history and Tradition that minnows like Man Utd lacks grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by tkb417(m): 9:48am On Oct 17, 2007
@Dayokanu
Na you dey disgrace yourself for internet blog. Go and take a nap, you are suffereing from exhaustion. I have told you, europe elites are those that are playing in the current UCL.
Hide your historical data for now, we will need it when you are able to play with the elites.

Shevy is an alltime great in the UCL scorers chat and hes still a force to be reckoned with. You know why? he scored recently in the UCL. I'm not talking about his past abilities alone, but even his records has shown he scored recently.

Your own records only state who you defeated in the past, please tell me who you played last 3 weeks. Some unknown clubs abi. go and sleep my friend. Europe elites as at now wont include your club or else N'Forest too will come out and tell us about what they did in the past.

Its in the bible, if you dwell in your past too much, your future will be bleak. I'm not quoting ooo. Your team suck  for now. Please remind me who you replaced Ballack with in your team and even Hargreaves grin grin grin some misfits im sure. Ballack is the best player in Germany and he left the biggest club in Germany for a club that has no records in UCL grin grin. I'm sure he knows better than DAYOKANU. Chelsea will humiliate Bayern even on your ground cool

My friend, i have an AP at the Ports to keep. keep your rants to yourself.
Bayern is just like sootin stars grin grin grin
When they are back, we will welcome them back as one of the greats of the game grin

You have been shouting Messi,Dinho and Kaka. Kaka is in serie A, while the other two are in La Liga. what about Ronaldo,Gerrard,Terry,Torres,Tevez and a lot more. Are you saying they are not world class? Go to bed my guy
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by dayokanu(m): 10:57am On Oct 17, 2007
Who did Man Utd play in the last 3 weeks?
If we are talking about the present and not the past then all clubs are on the same even Real madrid is on the same level with Dynamo Kiev since both of them are in the UCL and still have a

mathematical chance of winning. Why do you rate Brazil, Germany and Italy as the best footballing teams in the world? why not Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and Togo?

So you mean Europe's elites change every year and every week? Guy abeg now!! So presently Man City is one of the elite clubs in EPL as they are in 3rd position? Like I told you earlier

form is temporal and class is Permanent.

Ballack and Hargreaves were good players in Munich but they didn't do quite enough to go into our hall of fame. Hargreaves played just 145 times in 7 years lets say like 20 games per

season and scored 5 times. ballack was good but did not deliver the goods in Munich. You mean Mark Van Bommel, Franck Ribery, Miroslav Klose and Luca Toni are misfits? check their

in European football. I am sure these players are better than those ones Man Utd recruited this season.

Shevvy was the best player in Milan and probably Italy when he left for Chelsea so what are you driving at?
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by tkb417(m): 12:35pm On Oct 17, 2007
Now i know one thing for sure. You deliberately yarn nonsence. Europe elites are big bois in this year UCL grin grin grin
You mentioned the world cup, how on earth will you be a force in world futbol if you wont be part of the mundial.

Dont pretend to be stupid because you sure knew i was talking about champions league games that were played 3 weeks back. Bayern is at the low. Take it or jump into the lagoon.

I have on records all you said about Ballack not delivering the goods. Get the points. Your best players left for clubs in the EPL. simple. To me, i think they fancy the EPL to Bayern and im sure they know better than DAYOKANU who knows next to nothing about soccer compared to those lads. They know best and they have played at the highest stage .

One more thing, please post the records of hargreaves and Ballack and those that REPLACED THEM for all to see and lets see if those you bought are in tandem with those that left. Liar Liar
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 17, 2007
Have being reading junks from some idiots
but the truth is this:
1. Most African stars plays in premiership
2. English football has sentiments and competition
which make it interesting. You will want to get
updates off-pitch.
3. Time of the match is convienent to 9jerians unlike
La-liga which kicks-off at times in the NIGHT.
4. Premiership is the league with the higest sponsorers
I didn't say other don't, but premiership has gotten the
big and successful ones.
Re: Why Are Nigerians So Crazy About The Premiership? by somze(f): 1:02pm On Oct 17, 2007
Cant you guys make your point without stooping low to insults?
BTW I think i'm liking the exchanges between tkb471 and dayokanu

Dayo
It always boils down to Bayern doesn't it.
Sometimes I think all you are begging for is support for your German team tongue
Do it the English way -
[list]
[li]Use English Language as your lingua franca[/li]
[li]Hype up the League - Claim its the best in the world[/li]
[li]Hype up the players and produce Celebrities like David Beckham, probably more popular than Maradona or Pele[/li]
[li]Make sure its shown across continents on cable before the other leagues get the idea[/li]
[li]Did I say you should hype up the league and players?[/li]
[li]Ofcourse profits are everything, so you need to regularly display the profits made by the league as a whole[/li]
[li]Get players from all around the world so the fans from the country would support the team[/li]
[li]Finally make sure fans dont forget the hype[/li]
[/list]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Liverpool Vs Everton (4 - 0) On 20th April 2016 / Real Madrid Vs Galatasaray : UCL (3 - 0) On 3rd April 2013 / Galatasaray vs Arsenal - UCL (1 - 4) On 9th November 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.