Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Regional Myths And Legends: Real Or Fake? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Regional Myths And Legends: Real Or Fake? (1373 Views)

Some African Mysteries And Legends. / Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People? / Fulani/ Hausa Myths, Mythology And Legends (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Regional Myths And Legends: Real Or Fake? by odumchi: 1:32pm On Jan 31, 2012
As a small child, I heard many myths and legends and even now I still wonder if they're true. One myth that has really boggled my mind is that of Nwokonkwo the giant. I was told that Nwokonkwo lived in the 40s 50s or 60s and was the tallest man in Igboland. It's believed that he was 12 feet tall and towered houses and trees. So I'm wondering: Has anyone else heard of this man? And if so, what do you think about him (real or fake)?

Please feel free to post myths from your area that you would like to share.
Re: Regional Myths And Legends: Real Or Fake? by ifyalways(f): 5:06pm On Feb 01, 2012
^12 feet what?That one na fairytale proper.LOL

I have heard quite alot.Some i find highly amusing,others outrightly ridiculous and a few i accept to be true. . .when im drunk.

There is a stream @ Ihechiowa that is said to possess the power of trapping and sinking a girl that have committed 'abortion' once she steps foot inside the stream.(Ridiculous)

I was told that a certain woman "Eringa" in Owerri was so strong that she contested and won men in wrestling contests.She even went and stood at the frontline in the war front.(I believe this when im high)
Re: Regional Myths And Legends: Real Or Fake? by odumchi: 1:46am On Feb 02, 2012
LOL good to hear that I'm not the only one.

The Ihechiowa one might have been true in the old days depending on the traditions and abominations of their people. I believe the first part of the Eringa one but not the part about her going to war lol.

(1) (Reply)

Merry Christmas Wishes / Edos And The "Witch" Stereotype -sleeknick / How I Painted A Whiteman Wearing Igbo And Yoruba Dress: Artist Ayeola Ayodeji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.