Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,973 members, 7,810,699 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:35 PM

Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria (13645 Views)

OWERRI: The Worst State Capital In The SE- PIX / PHOTOS: Pictures Of the Beautiful City Of Owerri - The City Of Gold And Diamonds / Is Owerri The Only Zone In Imo State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:42am On Feb 05, 2012
manny4life:

Jeez, haba Ileke, why would you say such of him? Na wa for you o, chalay, cool down, ok

I hope you aint supporting that yoruba ekiti girl that hate igbos to the last no matter what or are you new to NL,ofcourse you not.
blood is thicker than water manny4life no matter how sweet the pu.s.sy is  lipsrsealed

@topic Imo is neat but,,,, 
anyway it naija for you
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by rhymz(m): 8:36am On Feb 05, 2012
I have been to Calabar myself and yeah, the City is very clean and has this pristine outlook. However, I would ve given to Calabar if it had continued in thesame manner Duke handled the state, Calabar as it is, is a little dull, activities there are sloe and the present state government's priorities are different now. Calabar as it is now, is not cleaner than Owerri or even Enugu. Enugu and Owerri in particular are more clean, well planned and aesthetic with better modern appearance than Calabar whose old colonial signatures still very much dot the old city-with the clean and green program by the last administration of Ohakim and the paucity of funds that greeted Imokhe's government after the FG stewpidly re-allocated some of the cross-rivers oil wells to Akwa-Ibom-it was only a matter of time before the strains started to show and the effort to make Calabar a tourist hub started to dwindle thus losing the position of being the cleanest city. Seriously, Owerri is underrated, I know what I am talking about here.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by daviesmania(m): 9:04am On Feb 05, 2012
My room is the cleanest in de whole world, & note dere's no good seconder.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Kabai: 9:17am On Feb 05, 2012
I have been to all this places. Owerri is a clean city on the average and it really looks good because of the earlier 'clean and green initiative' by Ohakim, but you cannot compare it with Calabar for a start. Another city that is clean now is Uyo, the capital city of Akwa Ibom state. I want to believe they are taking after Calabar. You need to visit that city soon to see, cos when last I was there, I thought I was in Abuja at first sight. However, the construction works there are not yet completed and thus making some areas to look unkempt. I would say Enugu is another city that's really coming up and will do very well soon.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by member479760: 9:50am On Feb 05, 2012
why the place no go clean when most of them ran away, spread like cockroach all over the world?
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:08am On Feb 05, 2012
nakedall:

why the place no go clean when most of them ran away, spread like cockroach all over the world?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Kaygeminix(f): 10:20am On Feb 05, 2012
hmm, was in owerri last week, it was a different story o angry angry
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by romeo(m): 10:38am On Feb 05, 2012
Enugu takes the lead, much bigger than Owerri and Calabar but still looks clean
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by doofanc: 11:14am On Feb 05, 2012
^ . Apart from presidential road, independence layout and environs, Enugu should not be mentioned when discussing clean cities.

@OP, its a toss between calabar and oweri
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by LogicMind: 11:26am On Feb 05, 2012
well we can safely say that the cleanest city is in biafra.
remind me why nigeria fought us.

1 Like

Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Ekiti1: 11:33am On Feb 05, 2012
@ igbo boy,
I fink u need to learn comprehension. I quoted a Yoruba proverb to buttress my point or is that a crime? Where did u see me claim that other ethnic groups dnt have a similar proverb?
Why must you turn every thread to a tribal war?
This is a nice thread dont spoil it.
Back to topic:
As you can see (or read) others agree with me on Calabar. Serene, neat & peaceful town.
See ya some other time.
Ciao.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by lucom: 11:35am On Feb 05, 2012
Owerri cleanest city? no not anything close to "cleanest" Enugu is a far cleaner, well laid out and more organised place than Owerri. For the cleanest I go with Calabar.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:39am On Feb 05, 2012
According to Nigerian standard, enugu is one of the cleanest cities in Nigeria. But it's behind Owerri and Calabar.

But why do Nigerian cities tend to be dirty? Even the non-commercial cities.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by lucom: 11:41am On Feb 05, 2012
Ekiti1:

@ igbo boy,
I fink u need to learn comprehension. I quoted a Yoruba proverb to buttress my point or is that a crime? Where did u see me claim that other ethnic groups dnt have a similar proverb?
Why must you turn every thread to a tribal war?
This is a nice thread dont spoil it.
Back to topic:
As you can see (or read) others agree with me on Calabar. Serene, neat & peaceful town.
See ya some other time.
Ciao.

@Ekiti1: Don't mind Igbo boy, his DNA is wired around tribalism he can't really help himself. I read his comment too and all I can feel for him is pity because here we are talking about beautiful cities and the only thing he can pick from a harmless post is a tribally biased opinion. I wonder which planet these guys come from at times.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by y3mz1(f): 1:30pm On Feb 05, 2012
So is there a reason why Owerri & Calabar are amongst the cleanest?
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by nedu210(m): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2012
How do u measure a clean city?   Calabar was once the cleanest city but that can not be said about calabar 2day but still in top five. I reside in owerri and it clean but not the cleanest. Enugu or abuja should take number position. Let me measure them.  CALABAR= The only place that make calabar one of the cleanest city nw is calabar municipal but that can not be said about calabar south, obubra, akamkpa and obudu.  OWERRI= Like calabar, owerri municipal is the only place that make owerri one of the cleanest but that can not be said about owerri west and north. Now come to ABUJA, and go frm garki to asokoro to airport area to maitama to apo then u see what cleanliness is all about, but places lik karu, nyanya, kugbua, kubwa, asokoro village and jikwoyi only make jest of abuja. ENUGU= enugu is clean frm north, south and east, go frm G.r.a, to emene to i layout to ogue to asata to upper north to trans ekulu and other. Another thing, market area is mostly the dirties place but that can not be said about aria and ogbete. Ogbete cleanlines may be, bcus of its environment which is surrounded by enugu north lga head quarter, prison, old u.n.t.h and enugu catholic cathedral. Aria knwn as new new market also give an example of enugu as a clean city. Another thing is land mass of the city. Enugu and Abuja is bigger than Calabar and Owerri and still cleaner to me. I ALL GIVE abuja the cleanest, then enugu, owerri 3rd and calabar 4th.  Owerri is taking the 3rd bcus it goin frm good to better while calabar is going frm best to better. That is how i see am.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by ezer(m): 2:58pm On Feb 05, 2012
I love this thread, yes calabar is very clean n organised but the capital city of Owerri cannot be left behind, whenever I visit owerri and calabar,I smile to myself with pride, in all I concluded that PH is our own Lagos while calabar is our Abuja, jst incase of any breakup o.well don't know what our other SS/SE governors r doing lagging behind, kudos to Gov akpabio!
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 3:57pm On Feb 05, 2012
y3mz1:

So is there a reason why Owerri & Calabar are amongst the cleanest?

The major reason just like that of Abuja and Enugu is sparse population. If you observe the densely populated parts of Abuja like the satelite towns are very dirty, same goes for Calabar South, Abakpa/Nike of Enugu and Amakohia/Douglas road of Owerri.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Ejine(m): 4:03pm On Feb 05, 2012
@Abagworo

But if we're to go by your previous statement about regions like Owerri not fitting the city profile, then that would mean,

- Venice isn't qualified to be called a city, even when it's called one
- Alaska's Kenai (with a pop. of 88,000) isn't fit to be called a city, even though it's called one
- Abuja (with a pop. of 750,000) isn't fit to be called a city either
- Botswana and Luxembourg have no cities at all!

No?

1 Like

Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by NegroNtns(m): 4:46pm On Feb 05, 2012

cheesy cheesy

To determine which town is cleanest, you have to factor in the population density, which generate most of the waste and litter. . . and as well the industrial development which also pollute the air, water and land.

If you have a town where the streets are clean and litter free, more than likely population density is sparse and less compared to a city that generate higher production of litter and waste per million persons.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2012
The first video gave me high hopes but as the 2nd video unfolded I can see that it's just another scheme where "beta side of the town" is shown.

It's a good start nonetheless.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by kizito96(m): 5:32pm On Feb 05, 2012
The video is only showing the new owerri layout, why don't you go and video Ama Jk or Mbaise Road. owerri is the dirtiest
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by bashr8: 8:42pm On Feb 05, 2012
Negro_Ntns:

cheesy cheesy

To determine which town is cleanest, you have to factor in the population density, which generate most of the waste and litter. . . and as well the industrial development which also pollute the air, water and land.

If you have a town where the streets are clean and litter free, more than likely population density is sparse and less compared to a city that generate higher production of litter and waste per million persons.

nice try , so why are cities like akure, edo ekiti , abeokuta not as clean as enugu , owerri or even calabar? people decide to be neat it has nothing to do with population.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by ak47mann(m): 9:59pm On Feb 05, 2012
^
don't mind the bigot what is the population of other states in SW? osun state population is very small and what happen to their environments undecided undecided
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by sniperwolf(m): 10:06pm On Feb 05, 2012
It's one of the cleanest if not the cleanest
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by chuqudy(m): 11:17pm On Feb 05, 2012
Onye si ala owerri ari ya mma ya kwa liri
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 11:22pm On Feb 05, 2012
ak47mann:

^
don't mind the bigot what is the population of other states in SW? osun state population is very small and what happen to their environments undecided undecided

Osun State population is not small. It seems to have the highest number of urban areas amongst the SW. The towns are densely populated and kind of ancient that's why it can't be that clean. The newer parts of Oshogbo are clean and fine. Akure in Ondo is also clean in the newer parts. I think another reason why Owerri is kind of clean is that majority of the town developed recently and is therefore more modern than most other Nigerian towns.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by bashr8: 11:54pm On Feb 05, 2012
Abagworo:

Osun State population is not small. It seems to have the highest number of urban areas amongst the SW. The towns are densely populated and kind of ancient that's why it can't be that clean. The newer parts of Oshogbo are clean and fine. Akure in Ondo is also clean in the newer parts. I think another reason why Owerri is kind of clean is that majority of the town developed recently and is therefore more modern than most other Nigerian towns.

you are smoking weed , tell that to nigerians in diaspora ado ekti, akure, oshogo, abeokuta etc are all virtually empty yet dirty and disorganised without any hope of upgrading both by govt and the people as they all abandon their cities and run to lagos. your arguement belongs in the dustbin, being clean is by choice nothing more.
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by safarigirl(f): 12:19am On Feb 06, 2012
Haven't been to owerri or calabar Ŝ☺ I'll reserve my comment for now
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by bashr8: 12:37am On Feb 06, 2012
safarigirl:

Haven't been to owerri or calabar Ŝ☺ I'll reserve my comment for now

you should visit both especially on a weekend , your missing a lot
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:45am On Feb 06, 2012
LOL! I am from Owerri, but I can't agree with you. Owerri is quite clean, but there are still a good number of cities cleaner. You probably just returned after a long time, and surprised by the change. However, Calabar, Abuja, Enugu, Uyo are far ahead. The cleanliness of a city can only be judged by visiting its slums. Thats where I give Calabar a big 10/10
Re: Owerri The Cleanest City In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:51am On Feb 06, 2012
nwanna89:

LOL! I am from Owerri, but I can't agree with you. Owerri is quite clean, but there are still a good number of cities cleaner. You probably just returned after a long time, and surprised by the change. However, Calabar, Abuja, Enugu, Uyo are far ahead. The cleanliness of a city can only be judged by visiting its slums. Thats where I give Calabar a big 10/10

Indeed, there are parts of Owerri that still need some real work to be done, but I am not sure how it has changed, coming again in the next few months.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photo : Remi Tinubu Campaigns With Semovita.... / Nigeria Police And Money(share Your Experience With Them) / Gunmen Invade Idps Camp In Benue, Kill 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.