Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,511 members, 7,843,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:46 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (814830 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:33am On Jan 26, 2013
Thank God and everyone; Justwise and Skywalker for all ur wonderful contribution. I confirmed my visa yestaday and it was positive. I am billed to arrive Heathrow rommorrow morning.
The next 1 is my accommodation (flatshare or Studio and self contain) near UoP... Its urgent nw
(Budget: £400 pm all bills inclusive)
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:01am On Jan 26, 2013
peteafrik88: Thank God and everyone; Justwise and Skywalker for all ur wonderful contribution. I confirmed my visa yestaday and it was positive. I am billed to arrive Heathrow rommorrow morning.
The next 1 is my accommodation (flatshare or Studio and self contain) near UoP... Its urgent nw

With 300 a month including all bills you will get double bedroom accommodation within university area, just pay for 2-3days hotel accommodation and use that time to look for room. Your university has list of private landlords, check in your uni website or email your international center for the list.

Many student houses are around the uni and city center then 20-25mins away to places like fratton park, your uni offers free school bus to many area, so living a bit far will not be a big issue
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 7:39pm On Jan 26, 2013
peteafrik88: Thank God and everyone; Justwise and Skywalker for all ur wonderful contribution. I confirmed my visa yestaday and it was positive. I am billed to arrive Heathrow rommorrow morning.

http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare-offered/portsmouth

There are a few rooms there just posted which will fit your budget .Its expensive going for self contain and studio.You will definitely see flat share for £400 or less
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 11:10pm On Jan 26, 2013
Been here two weeks now, nice place apart from the cold which Im getting used to now.
Who knows where I can get my hair cut decently around here?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:36am On Jan 27, 2013
Sky-walker:

http://www.gumtree.com/flatshare-offered/portsmouth

There are a few rooms there just posted which will fit your budget .Its expensive going for self contain and studio.You will definitely see flat share for £400 or less

Thank you boss... As i am writing this, i am at the Heathrow... i am really in search of a 2 bed room. i intend sharing with a folk also coming to UoP...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 8:37am On Jan 27, 2013
justwise:

With 300 a month including all bills you will get double bedroom accommodation within university area, just pay for 2-3days hotel accommodation and use that time to look for room. Your university has list of private landlords, check in your uni website or email your international center for the list.

Many student houses are around the uni and city center then 20-25mins away to places like fratton park, your uni offers free school bus to many area, so living a bit far will not be a big issue

Thank you boss... As i am writing this, i am at the Heathrow... i am really in search of a 2 bed room. i intend sharing with a folk also coming to UoP...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 27, 2013
dannywest: Been in coventry two weeks now, nice place apart from the cold which Im getting used to now.
Who knows where I can get my hair cut decently around here?

@Dannywest, you can get a good haircut at far gosford street,on your left,a barber shop called all nations i think and it costs 5quid to have a nice cut,
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 4:08pm On Jan 27, 2013
peteafrik88:

Right, the best thing to do is to find either a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom and convert the lounge to a bedroom to save cost. You can search on gumtree to find them. There are some there or you can maybe stay in an hotel for a while and look around to get the best deals. Its cheaper if you rent a 2 bedroom as a whole.

I just search some on this website and found 2 bedroom for £475 per month which is not bad but you might have to pay agancy fee and maybe deposit.
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/property/2-bedrooms/hampshire/southsea/?price_frequency=per_month&price_max=600&q=Southsea%2C%20Hampshire&radius=0&results_sort=lowest_price
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by bigx(m): 4:28pm On Jan 27, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 9:04am On Jan 28, 2013
Sky-walker:

Right, the best thing to do is to find either a 2 bedroom or 1 bedroom and convert the lounge to a bedroom to save cost. You can search on gumtree to find them. There are some there or you can maybe stay in an hotel for a while and look around to get the best deals. Its cheaper if you rent a 2 bedroom as a whole.

I just search some on this website and found 2 bedroom for £475 per month which is not bad but you might have to pay agancy fee and maybe deposit.
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/property/2-bedrooms/hampshire/southsea/?price_frequency=per_month&price_max=600&q=Southsea%2C%20Hampshire&radius=0&results_sort=lowest_price

On it now, Boss...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:17am On Jan 28, 2013
Sky-walker:

The problem with those houses is that they are not furnished, no student buys bed, wall-drop and stuff to move into a house. It will cost you even more money to furnish it.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:44am On Jan 28, 2013
justwise: [/b]

The problem with those houses is that they are not furnished, no student buys bed, wall-drop and stuff to move into a house. It will cost you even more money to furnish it.

Took a look at them and most were unfurnished and agent leased. I will doing a manual search today to see what I can come up with. Thanx
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 10:46am On Jan 28, 2013
justwise: [/b]

You right. did not think about that.But with £475, they should be able to pool money together to furnish it up depending on how long they are staying for their studies
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 11:33am On Jan 28, 2013
Sky-walker:

You right. did not think about that.But with £475, they should be able to pool money together to furnish it up depending on how long they are staying for their studies

That is the issue, they can't move back to Nigeria with beds, reading table and other stuff, selling it after will fetch little or nothing. Renting furnished one is always the best, just move in with your luggage.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 12:19pm On Jan 29, 2013
Sky-walker:

Actually, I will be staying in the UK for 3 years for my studies. I have finally found a partly furnished flat share on Sedgley drive in south sea, will be moving in on Wednesday. Thanks to all my bosses for your help. I hope to enjoy my stay in Portsmouth.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 1:19pm On Jan 29, 2013
If you look & ask around you will find "Charity shops" which sell used items.
Many councils / areas run furniture schemes which are cheap.

Also what are called "Car Boot Sales"
The uni / coledge should be able to guide you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 11:44am On Feb 04, 2013
Hi every1, hope d weekend was great? I must say I am really enjoying my stay in Portsmouth, Nice town indeed. Hav a blissful week ahead
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 3:09pm On Feb 04, 2013
peteafrik88: Hi every1, hope d weekend was great? I must say I am really enjoying my stay in Portsmouth, Nice town indeed. Hav a blissful week ahead

it's your turn to answer questions on all the UK/Student related thread now grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abba22s(m): 6:02pm On Feb 04, 2013
Please anyone in portsmouth should pls holla me if he or she knows a vacant place between now and next week....everywhere seems filled up...even gumtree.com is out of apartment...pls I'll appreciate any suggestion.....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:43am On Feb 06, 2013
Dis Guy:

it's your turn to answer questions on all the UK/Student related thread now grin

Yes boss... I will try to the best of my knowledge... Though just arrived
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gunpoint(m): 7:54pm On Feb 07, 2013
Hello ppl, were do I start? I read every line of this topic, vry educative save for the silly 4 pages or so dedicated to who spend mony pass on top food(mtchew).
Anyways, this is my matter, robert gordon uni, headin der in sept for a course in purchasing & supply chain mgt. Wat does any one knw abt the sch(rating and I dnt want rankin sites, read dem all). Is it considered a top top sch? What's aberdeen like? I realy dnt need to wrk cos if I stay within a strict budget of abt 650quid a mnt, I'll b good. So RGU/purchasing and supply chain mgt, hit me ppl

P.s, while @ it, any1 goin to aberdeen in sept up 4 apartment sharing?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gunpoint(m): 7:38am On Feb 11, 2013
Nil responses? undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Feb 11, 2013
does anyone attend the Portsmouth university ? im hoping to start in september smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abba22s(m): 9:14pm On Feb 11, 2013
adaobi123: does anyone attend the Portsmouth university ? im hoping to start in september smiley
Yes we surely see in september then
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 11, 2013
abba22s: Yes we surely see in september then
okay thats cool.......what course are you studying?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abba22s(m): 12:20am On Feb 12, 2013
adaobi123:
okay thats cool.......what course are you studying?
electronic engineering
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gunpoint(m): 7:17am On Feb 12, 2013
gunpoint: Hello ppl, were do I start? I read every line of this topic, vry educative save for the silly 4 pages or so dedicated to who spend mony pass on top food(mtchew).
Anyways, this is my matter, robert gordon uni, headin der in sept for a course in purchasing & supply chain mgt. Wat does any one knw abt the sch(rating and I dnt want rankin sites, read dem all). Is it considered a top top sch? What's aberdeen like? I realy dnt need to wrk cos if I stay within a strict budget of abt 650quid a mnt, I'll b good. So RGU/purchasing and supply chain mgt, hit me ppl

P.s, while @ it, any1 goin to aberdeen in sept up 4 apartment sharing?
Still awaiting responses
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by scottishlass: 1:24pm On Feb 12, 2013
gunpoint:
Still awaiting responses
I can't tell you much about RGU ratings but from the little I know, there are a of lot of Nigerians studying there so you will easily feel at home. In fact there is a large Nigerian community here and a good number of them are either working in the oil industry or studying. Aberdeen is the third expensive city to live in UK after London(and Birmingham) so cost of living here is quite high just as salaries are equally high. There are a lot of Nigerian churches here as well and you can buy basically most Nigerian foodstuffs from the African shops on George street/John street albeit a bit more expensive. Are you planning to stay in Uni halls or private accommodation? Most students arrange their own accommodation which works out a lot cheaper than the Uni halls. You can have a look at this website(http://www.citylets.co.uk/student-accommodation/)just to have a general idea how much accommodation costs in Aberdeen. I know you said you don't need to work but I would consider getting a part time job while studying here and I am not talking about the financial gains. Working in the UK is an entirely different ball game from working in Nigeria. You will be able to integrate better into the system, polish your social skills and develop very good work ethics. Furthermore, if you are planning to stay back in UK after your studies every little work experience counts. And oh!!! I forgot the weather....it's mostly gray and cold all year round. Let me know If you have any specific questions relating to Aberdeen.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gunpoint(m): 7:00am On Feb 13, 2013
Lol @ weather. . .
I can do gray I guess.
Having worked in a bank now in nigeria for 6years(supply chain/treasury functions) I think its time for a fresh challenge. However I will be 31 when my msc starts. Now in Nigeria, age is a huge issue getting any kind of work, I would like your take on this age matter, is it the same in the uk?(Note that I have experience oh).
I see you point about working to get integrated, as for work ethics, working in a nigerian bank is as grueling as it gets oh.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 11:21am On Feb 13, 2013
adaobi123: does anyone attend the Portsmouth university ? im hoping to start in september smiley

Sure... We will hoping to see you then. I am studying Business Enterprise Development
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Feb 13, 2013
peteafrik88:

Sure... We will hoping to see you then. I am studying Business Enterprise Development
okay cool cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dustydee: 9:20pm On Feb 15, 2013
gunpoint: Lol @ weather. . .
I can do gray I guess.
Having worked in a bank now in nigeria for 6years(supply chain/treasury functions) I think its time for a fresh challenge. However I will be 31 when my msc starts. Now in Nigeria, age is a huge issue getting any kind of work, I would like your take on this age matter, is it the same in the uk?(Note that I have experience oh).
I see you point about working to get integrated, as for work ethics, working in a nigerian bank is as grueling as it gets oh.
It is an offence in the UK to deny someone a job because of his/her age except if the person is a minor. Depending on the position, you may feel alittle uncomfortable working with 22 year old kids or having a 28 year old as your boss grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (213) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.