Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,106 members, 7,849,449 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:46 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (815761 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 4:47pm On Mar 01, 2013
@ FutureDon, good to see your post, hope you are finding your time over there interesting?

@ topic, how do you handle your finances
I remember been seeing my school's FAQs that they do not accept debit/credit cards payment from Nigeria when I wanted pay my initial deposit
However, I'm thinking of using my GTB Mastercard whilst there [UK] by leaving the bulk of my upkeep money here [my GTB Nigerian acct] and withdrawing on a need to use basis
But is that a wise move especially as I will not be residing in a major financial hub like London [although UK's banking system is excellent]?
Kindly let me have your input and thoughts to synthesise with mine
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dannywest: 6:12pm On Mar 01, 2013
ochukoccna: @ FutureDon, good to see your post, hope you are finding your time over there interesting?

@ topic, how do you handle your finances
I remember been seeing my school's FAQs that they do not accept debit/credit cards payment from Nigeria when I wanted pay my initial deposit
However, I'm thinking of using my GTB Mastercard whilst there [UK] by leaving the bulk of my upkeep money here [my GTB Nigerian acct] and withdrawing on a need to use basis
But is that a wise move especially as I will not be residing in a major financial hub like London [although UK's banking system is excellent]?
Kindly let me have your input and thoughts to synthesise with mine
Thanks

Wisest move, you get better rates that way rather than the shylock abokis.
Pay your fees then take like 50 or 100 GBP cash to hold, Ive been using my GTB cards here and they havent been rejected anywhere yet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
calebo101: Hello peeps, i am settled in London and everything is going smoothly except for one serious issue. I have hardly eaten a decent meal since i came here. Eating in a restaurant is a very fast way to become broke and dry. I do not know how to cook, really bad and it is making things tough for me. If i can get somebody that can cook and i pay the person i would be really really happy. A pot of Egusi soup grin that can last me for a long time as i do not eat that often and a pot of stew as well. I live in Brixton. For those of you planning on coming, please in the name of God learn to cook. That is really affecting me here now. Please serious advise is needed. Thanks
lol hello
there are some tutorials on youtube which help with Nigerian cooking but the only problem is that you have to obtain the ingredients
http://www.youtube.com/user/NigerianFoodRecipes
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by FutureDon(m): 9:48pm On Mar 01, 2013
calebo101: Thanks man, but any special tip on getting them ladies, still trying though. But you know it is not all rosy for a first timer in a green land. smiley

Yeah that's correct. Keep observing and investigating smiley, the same naija fishing methods are applicable smiley I guess you don't have Nigerian housemates.

ochukoccna: @ FutureDon, good to see your post, hope you are finding your time over there interesting?

I'm very well bro. Things are flowing smoothly smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:47am On Mar 02, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 02, 2013
calebo101: Thanks Ada, i would go on there and see what i can do. Choi cheesy the thing tire me cha grin

lmao no problem
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:49am On Mar 02, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 12:50pm On Mar 03, 2013
dannywest:

Wisest move, you get better rates that way rather than the shylock abokis.
Pay your fees then take like 50 or 100 GBP cash to hold, Ive been using my GTB cards here and they havent been rejected anywhere yet.
Thanks for your insight here danny
Other peeps please do drop yours
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:11pm On Mar 04, 2013
calebo101: Hello peeps, i am settled in London and everything is going smoothly except for one serious issue. I have hardly eaten a decent meal since i came here. Eating in a restaurant is a very fast way to become broke and dry. I do not know how to cook, really bad and it is making things tough for me. If i can get somebody that can cook and i pay the person i would be really really happy. A pot of Egusi soup grin that can last me for a long time as i do not eat that often and a pot of stew as well. I live in Brixton. For those of you planning on coming, please in the name of God learn to cook. That is really affecting me here now. Please serious advise is needed. Thanks

Its a pity... How much are you willing to pay for the service?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:23pm On Mar 04, 2013
ochukoccna:
Thanks for your insight here danny
Other peeps please do drop yours
Thanks

Who are the abokis? Banks? For tution payment, you can use central bank closest to you. And for GTB mastercard it is no problem over here. Wheneva you want to withdraw cash, you do dat in bulk cos of the bank charge. You will also need a bank account here for some things sha and dis comes with anoda cash card. You can be using the GTB account for transfers from 9ja.
For me I dont like handling cash so I choose to pay with my GTBank card. Incase I need small cash for small runs, I always do cashbacks in shops but must buy small someting.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 3:31pm On Mar 04, 2013
adaobi123:
hows Portsmouth is it any good ?
Well, to me it is safe and fantastic. A city filled with lots of student, Easy to live in and navigate. I heard the town is madt fun during summer cos of the beach but we still dey wait that one.If you finally make it your choice, I hope you enjoy it
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
peteafrik88:
Well, to me it is safe and fantastic. A city filled with lots of student, Easy to live in and navigate. I heard the town is madt fun during summer cos of the beach but we still dey wait that one.If you finally make it your choice, I hope you enjoy it
okay cool, ive already made my choice and portsmoth is the uni i wanna go to...........are there any nigerians in portsmotuh ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:48pm On Mar 04, 2013
adaobi123:
okay cool, ive already made my choice and portsmoth is the uni i wanna go to...........are there any nigerians in portsmotuh ?

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 04, 2013
justwise: [/b]

what ??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:05pm On Mar 04, 2013
adaobi123:
what ??

You are asking if there are Nigerians in Portsmouth while replying to a Nigerian living in Portsmouth (peteafrik88)

If there any city in the world let alone the UK that you wouldn't find a Nigerian?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 04, 2013
justwise:

You are asking if there are Nigerians in Portsmouth while replying to a Nigerian living in Portsmouth (peteafrik88)

If there any city in the world let alone the UK that you wouldn't find a Nigerian?
sorry, i guessed i worded the question wrong.......i wanted to know whether there is any Nigerian community in Portsmouth......like a Nigerian society ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:24pm On Mar 04, 2013
adaobi123:
sorry, i guessed i worded the question wrong.......i wanted to know whether there is any Nigerian community in Portsmouth......like a Nigerian society ?

You have student fellowship church almost dominated by Nigerians here. There are alot of Nigerians in Portsmouth.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Mar 04, 2013
justwise:

You have student fellowship church almost dominated by Nigerians here. There are alot of Nigerians in Portsmouth.
okay cool, are you there too ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 7:43pm On Mar 04, 2013
adaobi123:
okay cool, are you there too ?

Used to

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Skywalker5(m): 7:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
adaobi123:

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Mar 04, 2013
justwise:

Used to
oaky
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:32am On Mar 05, 2013
adaobi123:

Yeah, there are a lot. Justwise jux said it all... Good choice I think and we will be waiting for you...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 05, 2013
peteafrik88:

Yeah, there are a lot. Justwise jux said it all... Good choice I think and we will be waiting for you...
loool cant wait cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abba22s(m): 10:43pm On Mar 05, 2013
Over sweetness de worry portsmouth....so I recommend it solely....for any type of pathway u are suggesting
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 05, 2013
abba22s: Over sweetness de worry portsmouth....so I recommend it solely....for any type of pathway u are suggesting
lol thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaydacorsair: 12:31am On Mar 07, 2013
Dear Nairalanders,
Im a graduate and wish to study in the uk (computer science BCS) and im also a good footballer playing for Enyimba Feeder team. I want to know if im making the right decision and I have about 20k pounds for everything. Are there opportunities for footballers like me there? my parents can support me with @ least 1k pounds a month.Please i need your kind Advice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by gunpoint(m): 5:39am On Mar 07, 2013
^^^
Ur post is a bit confusin.
U r a graduate but u wana go for a BCS(is dat a bsc again?)? Why anoda bsc?
And right decision hw? Wat are u leavin behind if u go? Eyimba feeder team? Hw much do u earn frm dat? Hw old are u dat u r still in a feeder team? Wat kinda opportunities are u askn if they are available?
Lik I said, ur post is a bit vauge to me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaydacorsair: 6:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
thanks for your reply. Yes another BSC because I graduated with a 2.8 GP (B.Agric) and wanna study comp sci. Right decision i mean if its easy to get a club there. Enyimba Feeder team don't pay much but my parents are capable to take care of everything. Im 21 years old and my dad said he will be supporting me 1k pounds monthly if I travel.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2013
jaydacorsair: thanks for your reply. Yes another BSC because I graduated with a 2.8 GP (B.Agric) and wanna study comp sci. Right decision i mean if its easy to get a club there. Enyimba Feeder team don't pay much but my parents are capable to take care of everything. Im 21 years old and my dad said he will be supporting me 1k pounds monthly if I travel.

You can play in your university football team if your school have one but you can't play for a professional club because your visa will not permit you.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jaydacorsair: 10:05pm On Mar 07, 2013
wow thanks bro. that means a No for me since I cant play professional football there. Please What visa can permit me to play for a professional side?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
jaydacorsair: wow thanks bro. that means a No for me since I cant play professional football there. Please What visa can permit me to play for a professional side?
im guessing you will need a work visa

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (213) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.