Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,082 members, 7,811,034 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:18 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533440 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bakorede(m): 6:19am On Aug 18, 2012
adeoflagos:

To be honest, from my personal experience it was possible to become a citizen as a student but the process in recent times might have changed. Back then (in early to mid 2000s), you were more likely to become a citizen as a student if you are on a long term study-program, like doing a Masters that is immediately followed by a PhD. It also depend on how early you start the process. You first need to be a landed resident first, and depending on how long you remain living in Canada, at some point you qualify to apply for citizenship. First thing is to be a landed resident first, the citizenship come later. Some provinces (i.e. states) also have separate immigration program that is different from the federal government. For example in the province of Newfoundland, you may become a resident through some special program after studying there. Check the website of the provincial government. But as advised by naijasexy check www.cic.gc.ca. As I indicated above, my experience were from several years ago, and the process is surely different now.
pls,wat do u mean by landed residence/resident?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Briony84(f): 11:22am On Aug 18, 2012
@sleek Bella...I guess ur at mun now..pls can I have your email address so that I can asky ou some questions plssss
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rotexzy: 10:30pm On Aug 27, 2012
@femi motors...please I have bn asked to submit all my original documents to the embassy via the agent I am using...the most of which I am really concerned with is my popman's C of O(iwe ile). Please is this how it is normally done
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 11:19pm On Aug 27, 2012
rotexzy: @femi motors...please I have bn asked to submit all my original documents to the embassy via the agent I am using...the most of which I am really concerned with is my popman's C of O(iwe ile). Please is this how it is normally done

There is nothing out of place in that, however, I will confirm this tomorrow with my contacts with the embassy. . . . . How well do you know the agent, cos with the C of O, a fraudulent agent could sell your Dad's house.
So please be extra careful
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by rotexzy: 7:39pm On Aug 28, 2012
@femi motors....Thanks so much bro...I'll be waiting for the confirmation of the C of O concern. The agents 'seems' to be authentic though you never can tell...that's why I am putting it to experts to be double sure
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 2:39pm On Aug 29, 2012
rotexzy: @femi motors....Thanks so much bro...I'll be waiting for the confirmation of the C of O concern. The agents 'seems' to be authentic though you never can tell...that's why I am putting it to experts to be double sure

Kai, i have forgotten oh . . . Apologies. . . . Will talk to he tonight and get back to you
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by LoveKing(m): 9:31am On Aug 30, 2012
Hi Fhemmy. I've been following you for many years now. I dont think ill have any worries getting help from you. This is were i need you.
I want you to help me verify this agency (immigration and living) in vancouver. I cant put their no up here but i could send it to your email. They want to help me get a Visitors TRV but the amount is $1800 for individual class.
I've been told many times i could do it myself and i know i can but what are my chances; i'm late 20s so varsity or college might rule me out, i got 3rd class what masters or pgd can i do with that, im not self employed or employed inshort im going for nysc november. Thats why i resorted to use an Agency cos they told me they have 95% success rate and they contact the high commission on their applicants cases. Would i even stand a chance if i do it myself? Coz truthfully i'll want to extend my TRV in the required times for the permanent residency. And i also got a contact in B.C who can give me an accomodation in vancouver. Bro i've been on this immigration thing since 2002 so i just want to read your opinion cos i'm planning to begin in a few weeks time, its long overdue.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oreroyce(m): 12:06pm On Sep 02, 2012
rockafela: Any one here going to University of Regina September, pls let's hook up.. winkAny one here going to University of Regina September, pls let's hook up..

Planning on coming over in January...will like to know you though
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 9:08pm On Sep 02, 2012
Bakorede: pls,wat do u mean by landed residence/resident?

A landed resident is a permanent resident of Canada (same concept as an American green card holder). You can move on from that to becoming an actual citizen. If you are intending to study in Canada, you should be aware that the government of Canada has recently (few years ago) put in place regulations to make it a bit more straightforward for foreign students to become permanent residents, if they so wish. Check out cic.gc.ca, the Canadian government immigration website.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 10:07pm On Sep 02, 2012
LoveKing: Hi Fhemmy. I've been following you for many years now. I dont think ill have any worries getting help from you. This is were i need you.
I want you to help me verify this agency (immigration and living) in vancouver. I cant put their no up here but i could send it to your email. They want to help me get a Visitors TRV but the amount is $1800 for individual class.
I've been told many times i could do it myself and i know i can but what are my chances; i'm late 20s so varsity or college might rule me out, i got 3rd class what masters or pgd can i do with that, im not self employed or employed inshort im going for nysc november. Thats why i resorted to use an Agency cos they told me they have 95% success rate and they contact the high commission on their applicants cases. Would i even stand a chance if i do it myself? Coz truthfully i'll want to extend my TRV in the required times for the permanent residency. And i also got a contact in B.C who can give me an accomodation in vancouver. Bro i've been on this immigration thing since 2002 so i just want to read your opinion cos i'm planning to begin in a few weeks time, its long overdue.

CHief, Feel free to mail me and we could talk one on one, however, i will like you to ask yourself these questions.
1. You spend 1800$$ to get a visiting visa to Canada, you hope to be able to extend it to be able to get a permant residency in Canada, what is you are not able to secure the permanent residency, what is next for you?
2. While you are in Canada on a visiting visa, how do you take care of your financial needs, cos most companies will not offer you a job.
But anyhow, we will talk and rub minds together. . . . In the meantime, no one could guarantee you a visa, but 90% success rate is not bad, but how honest are they
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bakorede(m): 3:02am On Sep 03, 2012
Fhemmmy:

CHief, Feel free to mail me and we could talk one on one, however, i will like you to ask yourself these questions.
1. You spend 1800$$ to get a visiting visa to Canada, you hope to be able to extend it to be able to get a permant residency in Canada, what is you are not able to secure the permanent residency, what is next for you?
2. While you are in Canada on a visiting visa, how do you take care of your financial needs, cos most companies will not offer you a job.
But anyhow, we will talk and rub minds together. . . . In the meantime, no one could guarantee you a visa, but 90% success rate is not bad, but how honest are they
i just post 2u on d other thread 'Students travelling 2 Canada part 3'.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 3:02pm On Sep 03, 2012
Bakorede: i just post 2u on d other thread 'Students travelling 2 Canada part 3'.

Chief, from every post of mine, you could see my mail there . . .
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by LoveKing(m): 1:22pm On Sep 09, 2012
Fhemmmy:

a friend of mine in bc told me i can even change the visa type as soon as i get there.i also learnt on special considerition visit visa can work.
working out things with my sponsor. Ill get in touch soon.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2012
LoveKing: Hi Fhemmy. I've been following you for many years now. I dont think ill have any worries getting help from you. This is were i need you.
I've been told many times i could do it myself and i know i can but what are my chances; i'm late 20s so varsity or college might rule me out, i got 3rd class what masters or pgd can i do with that, im not self employed or employed inshort im going for nysc november. Thats why i resorted to use an[b] Agency cos they told me they have 95% success rate [/b]and they contact the high commission on their applicants cases. Would i even stand a chance if i do it myself? Coz truthfully i'll want to extend my TRV in the required times for the permanent residency. And i also got a contact in B.C who can give me an accomodation in vancouver. Bro i've been on this immigration thing since 2002 so i just want to read your opinion cos i'm planning to begin in a few weeks time, its long overdue.

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you expect the agent to tell you that they have less success rate?

You are about to waste that $1800, you ca not legally change a Canadian visiting visa to permanent visa.

You hardly qualify for visiting visa because you don't have any strong tie to Nigeria at the moment, you got no job, no business and no concrete paper evidence to present to Canadian embassy, lets be honest here.

Yes the agent will definitely get you some forged papers to make you look qualified but that could be the start of your nightmare.

If its legally possible to change visiting visa to permanent then why do people pay millions in school fees just to enter Canada while they could simply get visiting visa and change it to permanent one when they get there and study for free?

If you are not qualified for Canadian visa then you are not qualified, agent can not get you anything, you will only loose your money and time.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by LoveKing(m): 11:24pm On Sep 09, 2012
justwise:

Please don't take this the wrong way but do you expect the agent to tell you that they have less success rate?

You are about to waste that $1800, you ca not legally change a Canadian visiting visa to permanent visa.

You hardly qualify for visiting visa because you don't have any strong tie to Nigeria at the moment, you got no job, no business and no concrete paper evidence to present to Canadian embassy, lets be honest here.

Yes the agent will definitely get you some forged papers to make you look qualified but that could be the start of your nightmare.

If its legally possible to change visiting visa to permanent then why do people pay millions in school fees just to enter Canada while they could simply get visiting visa and change it to permanent one when they get there and study for free?

If you are not qualified for Canadian visa then you are not qualified, agent can not get you anything, you will only loose your money and time.
hmmm thanks anyway
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Bakorede(m): 10:59pm On Sep 10, 2012
justwise:

hw i wish u could respond 2my post fantastically like this...lols.dat's a 9c write up 4rm u there.i guess that's y u've been appreciated with a special thread/topic "let's appreciate justwise" u are really doing d justise wit wisdom 2 unwantd posts on NL.LOLZ..gud luck.keep it up.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:22pm On Sep 12, 2012
For students coming to Toronto, or already in Toronto, here are details of proposed NL meet up.

Please RSVP in this section or via email to myself (email in profile)by end of this week, for reservations.

Date: Saturday September 15

Time: 3pm

Location: Korean Grill House, 754 Yonge Street (Yonge and Bloor)

Website & menu: www.koreangrillhouse.com/yb_home.htm
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bamshy: 12:42am On Sep 16, 2012
Nice seeing you Ifegy and Bashtee!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 1:01am On Sep 16, 2012
smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by omejeo: 8:09pm On Sep 21, 2012
Hi fhemmy.weldone i saw all the goodwork u ar rendering to ur fellow nigar keep it up.pls dont be offended i really need ur help.i graduted from on of the uni in nigeria and wil love to do my master and pg program in canada lik muc and other affordable uni.omejevn@yahoo.com.thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ndbaba(m): 2:31pm On Sep 26, 2012
hi
have been loving all ur comments. pls i need some info. i am expecting my admission letter from memorial university of newfoundland for a masters degree in biochemistry. i have very limited cash and the program is for 2 yrs. can i study and work at the same time to cover my expenses.also hw do i become a permanent resident.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 5:10pm On Sep 26, 2012
ndbaba: hi
have been loving all ur comments. pls i need some info. i am expecting my admission letter from memorial university of newfoundland for a masters degree in biochemistry. i have very limited cash and the program is for 2 yrs. can i study and work at the same time to cover my expenses.also hw do i become a permanent resident.

You can work but there are certain restrictions, such as needing a permit to work off campus, only being allowed to work a certain number of hours during the semester, etc. As well, note that it is highly, highly unlikely you will earn enough money to pay your international student fees, housing, feeding, etc, just by working, as students don't get paid very much.
Here is a link to info on scholarships, grants, etc for international students that might be useful:
http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/field-of-study/
If you can't find one for the school you want, perhaps you could go somewhere else and then immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident(easier than from inside Nigeria).

As for becoming a permanent resident, you have to immigrate, e.g., as a skilled worker. Immigrating as a skilled worker is on a points based system whereby you get points for languages spoken (English and/or French); education level, etc. Foreign students Check out the Canadian government immigration website for more details: cic.gc.ca. Note that the program is on hold till next year at the moment, to clear the application backlog. There are other ways to become a permanent resident, eg immigrating through marriage, as an investor, etc. You can find all that info on the immigration website.

All the best.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 1:34pm On Sep 27, 2012
ndbaba: hi

Once you are done with your schooling, Get a job (Must be related to what you study) for one year and you could put in your papers to become a landed immigrant, however, you will have to do that before you visa expired (Also, check the conditions you were given on your visa) . . Some conditions applies and it is not automatic.
On the other issues, the gentleman has explained really well, make sure you have some financial backing before leaving Nigeria, else, you will hate Canada for life. . . Good luck
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ndbaba(m): 3:45pm On Sep 27, 2012
thanks alot @ Ifegi and femmy. i really appreciate ur response and u jst lifted a big cloud of doubt. thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Jesus4all: 4:47pm On Sep 27, 2012
@fhemmy and others trv holder, is it true that the canada embassy will not return every orignal documents like certificates, results submitted after they have issue trv to the applicant.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 6:58am On Sep 28, 2012
Jesus4all: @fhemmy and others trv holder, is it true that the canada embassy will not return every orignal documents like certificates, results submitted after they have issue trv to the applicant.

They wont keep any of ur personal documents, u wld get d originals while they hold on to the photocopies.....
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ndbaba(m): 8:10am On Sep 28, 2012
@ FEMMMY AND IFEGI:WHAT IF I GOT ENOUGH MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF MY TUITION AND LIVING EXPENSES FOR A YEAR, I HEARD D SCHOOL GIVES MONEY TO GRADUATE STUDENTS IN FORM OF A STIPEND FROM YOUR SUPERVISOR. WONT IT B ENOUGH COMBINED WITH ME WORKING 4 FEW HOURS ALSO.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 4:48pm On Sep 28, 2012
ndbaba: @ FEMMMY AND IFEGI:WHAT IF I GOT ENOUGH MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF MY TUITION AND LIVING EXPENSES FOR A YEAR, I HEARD D SCHOOL GIVES MONEY TO GRADUATE STUDENTS IN FORM OF A STIPEND FROM YOUR SUPERVISOR. WONT IT B ENOUGH COMBINED WITH ME WORKING 4 FEW HOURS ALSO.

I assume you are asking how to support yourself beyond the first year. Well, graduate students are able to get research and/or teaching assistantships, but I would suggest checking with the schools you are interested in to find out how to get those (do you have to apply? Do your grades matter? Or is it just for every graduate student that shows up?) Then you'd have to find out the amount you are likely to get, and compare that to your projected living and tuition expenses. I know that there are quite a few instances where such stipends do not cover everything, but there may be cases where the amount is enough. If the stipend is not going to cover everything, you need to find out the funding gap, i.e., the amount you still need. It may or may not be possible to cover that amount through working; it all depends on how much it is, and whether you can get a job. In other words, you need to do quite a bit of research around the area of finances ahead of time.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:56pm On Sep 28, 2012
Jesus4all: @fhemmy and others trv holder, is it true that the canada embassy will not return every orignal documents like certificates, results submitted after they have issue trv to the applicant.

Like someone said, they wont keep your original docs.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 2sexy(m): 4:22pm On Sep 29, 2012
LoveKing:
hmmm thanks anyway
so you no know before? Kai! Some people sha. Na so my uncle say make I use conference enter Canada. I looked at myself and I couldn't imagine me struggling for years just to gain balance in a foreign land. Well, I decided to give myself just 1 and half years. Till then.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by earthgreeners(m): 6:28pm On Sep 30, 2012
@fhemmy et ifegy et al,
with reasons, which do you think is the best option when planning accommodation considering cost, ease of adaptation and safety...
1) Staying on campus
2) Staying off campus
3) Homestay plan

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.