Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,264 members, 7,836,199 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (535403 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by MacMaster01(m): 2:53pm On Oct 08, 2014
Omonjoe:
I am a bit worried here....I have made application to Memorial uni. for M.Eng Elect Engr. I have a CGPA of 3.71 / 5 in Elect/Elect Engr. do I stand a good chance to be admitted due to high competitive admission we do hear about schools in Canada? Please can one suggest schools dat can easily give me admission for M.SC in Electrical Engr with such a CGPA. Thanks

heyy bro i also just applied, hv u sent ur transcript and reference letters?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Omonjoe(m): 4:51pm On Oct 08, 2014
I have posted d transcript though it has not goten to d school. For reference letters, my lectureres have nt still sent them. wat of urs? wat did u apply for? u get idea of d admission issue? cos man dey fear cos of low CGPA
MacMaster01:

heyy bro i also just applied, hv u sent ur transcript and reference letters?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by MacMaster01(m): 6:56pm On Oct 08, 2014
Omonjoe:
I have posted d transcript though it has not goten to d school. For reference letters, my lectureres have nt still sent them. wat of urs? wat did u apply for? u get idea of d admission issue? cos man dey fear cos of low CGPA

I applied for d same course, mehn, but I think 2-1 should be able to enter because on their website it's minimum 2-2, and mun shld nt bd too competitive

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tokiniofficial(m): 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2014
MacMaster01:

I applied for d same course, mehn, but I think 2-1 should be able to enter because on their website it's minimum 2-2, and mun shld nt bd too competitive
Omonjoe:
I am a bit worried here....I have made application to Memorial uni. for M.Eng Elect Engr. I have a CGPA of 3.71 / 5 in Elect/Elect Engr. do I stand a good chance to be admitted due to high competitive admission we do hear about schools in Canada? Please can one suggest schools dat can easily give me admission for M.SC in Electrical Engr with such a CGPA. Thanks

You guys should use this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1851578/travelling-canada-part-6/248
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by chantaliona(f): 8:03pm On Oct 22, 2014
I am trying to help someone come to Canada, he would like to attend college or UV, how does he apply for student loans if he lives in Nigeria? can someone give advice please? thank you

justwise:
Share your surviving tips here. . .

-How did you get your part-time job . .

-Cheap student accommodation . .

-How do you call home cheaply . .

Ask your questions here and if there is something missing on the list then suggest and it will be added.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 8:33pm On Oct 22, 2014
chantaliona:
I am trying to help someone come to Canada, he would like to attend college or UV, how does he apply for student loans if he lives in Nigeria? can someone give advice please? thank you

Are foreign students entitle to student loan in Canada? I doubt that. Foreign students pay their fees.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kaynine59(m): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2014
What a great thread spanning over 2years...wow...i read from 2012 till now and I must say that it's really been an experience reading all through. I must commend ifegy and Femmmy and many others for their calm nature in answering some very annoying questions lol. God bless you guys abundantly.

I applied to Memorial 2years in a row and wasn't given admission. Those people way na WAEC lol. I advise anyone applying to MUN to be very careful. I met all requirements for Aquaculture MSc and they ddnt give a concrete reason for denying me.

The thing about MUN is that (cos I have a close buddy over there that did MSc physics) if you are going for MSc that has thesis attached to it you will need to have a strong application and also referral from a supervisor present at the college to ease ur application and possible admission. This task of getting a supervisor isn't easy as I have been thru that process. I'd advise u go for a diploma relating to the MSc u want to do (which is 1year) as it'll afford u a better opportunity to be present at the college and possibly and easily liase with the supervisors there one on one. Doing this from Naija is hard make i no lie una... I mailed up to 25 supervisors, it wasn't easy. But the thing about life is u may never know. My good friend applied 3years consecutively and got a supervisor the 3rd year. He is presently doing his PhD at Simon Fraser Uni after finishing at MUN.

I tried the non thesis route the following year and I still ddnt get it (200dollars wasted Nna me vex ehn lol). But it may work for you cos I made a 2.2. So maybe if u make a 2.1 or 1st class then that non thesis route may work for you.

I got into Niagara College Ontario just 2weeks after applying this year September and I am awaiting my visa hopefully it comes in before my start date Jan 2015.

Femmmy I hear Niagara Falls aint so far from Toronto so if you know any good people that can link me to get good off camp accommodation I would be glad. Surfing through kijiji and Craigslist is crazy lol I would appreciate any links.

Wish all of us here the best of luck and see u all in Canada soonish... All in favor say Aye!!! wink

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kaynine59(m): 7:21pm On Oct 23, 2014
Also to those who went to Canada not long ago how long did the Visa process take all in all and when did u get your visa? A friend that went this 2014 January I don't think it was up to 3monts cos he was denied us visa study permit and he immediately started processing Canada and voila! He got it less than 3months...

Anyone with 1st hand experience of this should pls advice cos I hear the process is quicker than what it used to be years ago. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hotstepper(f): 4:48am On Oct 25, 2014
[q

U didn't get in cuz of 2.2. No Canadian uni will take door one euthanasia 2.2...best bet is college

kaynine59:
What a great thread spanning over 2years...wow...i read from 2012 till now and I must say that it's really been an experience reading all through. I must commend ifegy and Femmmy and many others for their calm nature in answering some very annoying questions lol. God bless you guys abundantly.

I applied to Memorial 2years in a row and wasn't given admission. Those people way na WAEC lol. I advise anyone applying to MUN to be very careful. I met all requirements for Aquaculture MSc and they ddnt give a concrete reason for denying me.

The thing about MUN is that (cos I have a close buddy over there that did MSc physics) if you are going for MSc that has thesis attached to it you will need to have a strong application and also referral from a supervisor present at the college to ease ur application and possible admission. This task of getting a supervisor isn't easy as I have been thru that process. I'd advise u go for a diploma relating to the MSc u want to do (which is 1year) as it'll afford u a better opportunity to be present at the college and possibly and easily liase with the supervisors there one on one. Doing this from Naija is hard make i no lie una... I mailed up to 25 supervisors, it wasn't easy. But the thing about life is u may never know. My good friend applied 3years consecutively and got a supervisor the 3rd year. He is presently doing his PhD at Simon Fraser Uni after finishing at MUN.

I tried the non thesis route the following year and I still ddnt get it (200dollars wasted Nna me vex ehn lol). But it may work for you cos I made a 2.2. So maybe if u make a 2.1 or 1st class then that non thesis route may work for you.

I got into Niagara College Ontario just 2weeks after applying this year September and I am awaiting my visa hopefully it comes in before my start date Jan 2015.

Femmmy I hear Niagara Falls aint so far from Toronto so if you know any good people that can link me to get good off camp accommodation I would be glad. Surfing through kijiji and Craigslist is crazy lol I would appreciate any links.

Wish all of us here the best of luck and see u all in Canada soonish... All in favor say Aye!!! wink
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kaynine59(m): 7:54pm On Oct 25, 2014
Really? So hw come ma friend went to Memorial also with a 2.2?
Hotstepper:
[q

U didn't get in cuz of 2.2. No Canadian uni will take door one euthanasia 2.2...best bet is college

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kaynine59(m): 7:55pm On Oct 25, 2014
Really? A friend finished from Memorial and had 2.2 as well as hw did he get in lol
Hotstepper:
[q

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by monisola001: 5:20am On Oct 30, 2014
trodon:
Hello all,
Any one studying in Manitoba? I am in Winnipeg (Red River College) and have met just a few Nigerians. I am beginning to wonder if there are Nigerians in Winnipeg. If Nigerians dey abeg holla make we collide. I am doing my practicum right now.

hi I am thinking about applying to red river college pls did u submit ur secondary school qualifications alone or university. ...and pls whats the school like.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oduado: 4:43pm On Nov 03, 2014
hello peeps.....
.....im currently about to apply to MUN.....for a graduate diploma programme.......n oil and gas safety....and my CGPA....is about 3.59 on 5grade scale.........i want to ask if i can apply since skuls n canada ar quite cmpetitive...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 9jabiggurl: 5:32pm On Nov 03, 2014
Hey guys, Phemmy Hi,

I applied to Royal roads Uni in Victoria BC and got the admission for next year sept. I will start my visa application early next year...now my question is i have 2 boys who are american citizen and i want to come to canada with them....for obvious reasons not to deny my visa my husband wont apply with us, he will probably do when we leave. is this a good idea?

Secondly, will my sons be privileged to all benefits as american citizens...they are both below the age of 2 presently but at the time of travelling they will be 2 and 3 respectively. if not what should i budget for their pre-school?

Any 9ja community in Victoria BC? need to start sorting myself out and plan ahead.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 03, 2014
9jabiggurl:
Hey guys, Phemmy Hi,

I applied to Royal roads Uni in Victoria BC and got the admission for next year sept. I will start my visa application early next year...now my question is i have 2 boys who are american citizen and i want to come to canada with them....for obvious reasons not to deny my visa my husband wont apply with us, he will probably do when we leave. is this a good idea?

Secondly, will my sons be privileged to all benefits as american citizens...they are both below the age of 2 presently but at the time of travelling they will be 2 and 3 respectively. if not what should i budget for their pre-school?

Any 9ja community in Victoria BC? need to start sorting myself out and plan ahead.
American citizens do not receive any privilege in Canada. Just as Canadian citizens do not have any privilege in the US. Although, they won't need to apply for visas but would be stamped in at POE.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oduado: 10:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
saxywale:

American citizens do not receive any privilege in Canada. Just as Canadian citizens do not have any privilege in the US. Although, they won't need to apply for visas but would be stamped in at POE.

pls can u kndly assist me bro.....will like to knw if i can get admission nto MUN for pgd safety and risk engineerin....wif CGPA 3.59...on a 5point scale
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:05am On Nov 04, 2014
oduado:

pls can u kndly assist me bro.....will like to knw if i can get admission nto MUN for pgd safety and risk engineerin....wif CGPA 3.59...on a 5point scale
You should normally be admitted to a pgdip with your cgpa. You should consider posting on this thread as there are more experienced guys on there if your query is related to admissions and students visas.

https://www.nairaland.com/1851578/travelling-canada-part-6/366
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by oduado: 7:02am On Nov 04, 2014
saxywale:

You should normally be admitted to a pgdip with your cgpa. You should consider posting on this thread as there are more experienced guys on there if your query is related to admissions and students visas.

https://www.nairaland.com/1851578/travelling-canada-part-6/366
tnx bro...i appreciate
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by manikky: 8:53am On Nov 04, 2014
Hello..
Please I have many questions..
My wife is planning her postgraduate..M.Ed in canada..with a 2:2 though.... What are the chances.., a better sch to explore, and steps to be taken.

Also she would be accompanied by our sons if successful... Any chance here.

What is the minimum cash to be expected and necessary things to be done. I am sorry for the too many questions.... But pls I need answers to them.

Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hotstepper(f): 8:01pm On Nov 05, 2014
[
I think their schooling will be free if they go to public school. Check the province you will be going to find out ok

saxywale:

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:17am On Nov 07, 2014
Hotstepper:
[
I think their schooling will be free if they go to public school. Check the province you will be going to find out ok

quote author=saxywale post=27700617]

@Hottstepper.
Her children are not up to age for elementary or high school. They would need to attend a daycare and daycare fees are subsidized only for Canadians and PR.

In Alberta, she would need circa $900/month for each child. It may be more in BC, you know BC is an expensive province. Babysitter might work out cheaper for her.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hotstepper(f): 7:27pm On Nov 07, 2014
True! I didn't read the age part of it. Unless she finds a private person that babysit for less

saxywale:

@Hottstepper.
Her children are not up to age for elementary or high school. They would need to attend a daycare and daycare fees are subsidized only for Canadians and PR.

In Alberta, she would need circa $900/month for each child. It may be more in BC, you know BC is an expensive province. Babysitter might work out cheaper for her.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 9jabiggurl: 9:38am On Nov 10, 2014
@Saxywale and @Hotstepper.....Thanks for your info...will prolly consider the babysitter option or try and apply for my young nanny to come over later when i am more settled. as it is i will apply alone first go and settle then have my husband and the nanny bring the kids and have the nanny stay back....hopefully that might work

Hotstepper:

True! I didn't read the age part of it. Unless she finds a private person that babysit for less

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Hotstepper(f): 3:38am On Nov 11, 2014
[q

How r u going to bring the nanny? U say this things like it's so easy to do

uote author=9jabiggurl post=27880653]@Saxywale and @Hotstepper.....Thanks for your info...will prolly consider the babysitter option or try and apply for my young nanny to come over later when i am more settled. as it is i will apply alone first go and settle then have my husband and the nanny bring the kids and have the nanny stay back....hopefully that might work

[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by 9jabiggurl: 8:42am On Nov 11, 2014
First of all with God everything is easy.......then i will indicate in my sop that my husby and kids and their nanny will be visiting during my break....i am applying alone and going alone first....then the rest will be easy by Gods grace....

Hotstepper:
[q

How r u going to bring the nanny? U say this things like it's so easy to do

uote author=9jabiggurl post=27880653]@Saxywale and @Hotstepper.....Thanks for your info...will prolly consider the babysitter option or try and apply for my young nanny to come over later when i am more settled. as it is i will apply alone first go and settle then have my husband and the nanny bring the kids and have the nanny stay back....hopefully that might work

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:25pm On Nov 11, 2014
9jabiggurl:
First of all with God everything is easy.......then i will indicate in my sop that my husby and kids and their nanny will be visiting during my break....i am applying alone and going alone first....then the rest will be easy by Gods grace....

Give them reasons to think that Nannies in Canada cant do the job, like she has rightly said, it is not as easy as you are making it look, yet all things are possible with God BUT blame our bros and sis that has abused the system which has made immigration go crazy with all sort of assumptions . . . Good luck

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by tboynaija: 11:23am On Nov 22, 2014
I have read all the post in this thread but no one has been able to share his /her survival strategy. Does it mean that everyone that travelled to Canada for studies all came from wealthy families who were able to sponsor their stay in Canada...? where are the the naija students that successful sponsored or worked to financially support their stay in Canada ? please come and share both the good and bad side of your experience cos I know it will go a long way in encouraging someone . Am tired of reading post of people making enquiries about admission/ visa process, there is a special thread for that....There are people who might be wondering if they wil be able to survive after the initial money they brought to Canada is exhausted and support seems not to be comming from home. Please don't be shy in sharing your experience with others especially if you have been through such route while studying Canada.

17 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mynem: 2:47am On Nov 27, 2014
Is any one going to douglas college 2015 summer
just gotten admission...
how is this college experience like...
pls respond anyone
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ezekuse: 12:28pm On Nov 27, 2014
mynem:
Is any one going to douglas college 2015 summer
just gotten admission...
how is this college experience like...
pls respond anyone

please can you confirm if douglas college asked you to pay your first semester fees before sending you a letter of acceptance.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by mynem: 3:51am On Nov 28, 2014
yes....is it their process?pls what do you know about the college
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.