Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,970 members, 7,814,284 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533690 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 12, 2013
Thayorr: Hello. Please i need advice on a school (1-200 or thereabout) where i can do a masters in finance or a related course. Budget for fees is 2 - 2.5m in naira(13333-16666 in dollars). Am an accounting graduate, and i intend to move next year. Tnks.
_

http://aucc.ca
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by emandman: 7:56am On Sep 13, 2013
Pls guys how can i apply for a canada visa lottery in nigeria...and 4 folks in canada...am a graduate and hw easy/hard is it for a finance grad to get a descent life in canada...ur replies will a bothered bro abeg
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 2:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
There is no Canada visa lottery. If you really do want to immigrate to Canada, go to the Canadian government's official immigration site, where everything is clearly laid out. http://www.cic.gc.ca/.

To be able to work in Canada you will need to be legally entitled, either as a citizen, an immigrant, or with a work permit.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by klems4real: 10:34pm On Sep 13, 2013
@ifegy...your mentoring qualities are quite exceptional. Am so proud of you ...
However, I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering. I really want to build a career in the field of Electrical Engineering. Please, Which postgraduate school in Canada will greatly raise my confidence with hands-on experience thereby giving my qualifications that needed extra boost?
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by aycsharp(m): 10:59am On Sep 15, 2013
pls is their anyone who has successfully applied to University of Manitoba, I need assistance on how to go about it and whether the school requires GRE from Nigerians.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 11:06pm On Sep 15, 2013
klems4real: @ifegy...your mentoring qualities are quite exceptional. Am so proud of you ...
However, I am a graduate of Electrical/Electronics Engineering. I really want to build a career in the field of Electrical Engineering. Please, Which postgraduate school in Canada will greatly raise my confidence with hands-on experience thereby giving my qualifications that needed extra boost?
Thanks.

HI Klems, your best bet is probably to have a look at the website for the association of universities and colleges of Canada, which has a database of lots of study programs: www.aucc.ca, http://www.aucc.ca/canadian-universities/study-programs/
The links will lead you to the various universities, and you can use the detailed info to make your choice, based on program content, co-op options, etc.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 11:07pm On Sep 15, 2013
aycsharp: pls is their anyone who has successfully applied to University of Manitoba, I need assistance on how to go about it and whether the school requires GRE from Nigerians.

You might get a better response asking on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by aycsharp(m): 8:48pm On Sep 16, 2013
ifegy:

You might get a better response asking on this thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4
thanks I will do that.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ahmedonia4real(m): 1:39pm On Oct 02, 2013
ifegy: There is no Canada visa lottery. If you really do want to immigrate to Canada, go to the Canadian government's official immigration site, where everything is clearly laid out. http://www.cic.gc.ca/.

To be able to work in Canada you will need to be legally entitled, either as a citizen, an immigrant, or with a work permit.

@ ifegy plz I applied to seneca college and I've been accepted to study B/admin but what I want to confirm is I completed my secondary school in year 2003 do I need a letter from employer to apply for a study permit @ cdhc?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 6:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
ahmedonia4real:

@ ifegy plz I applied to seneca college and I've been accepted to study B/admin but what I want to confirm is I completed my secondary school in year 2003 do I need a letter from employer to apply for a study permit @ cdhc?

It depends on what purpose the letter would serve (homes ties, that you're coming back to work for them, etc?). The main thing is that you need to convince the consulate that you are a real student, you've got the required funding and that you intend to return after your studies. If the letter would help in anyway to achieve that goal, then use it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ahmedonia4real(m): 1:38pm On Oct 03, 2013
ifegy:

It depends on what purpose the letter would serve (homes ties, that you're coming back to work for them, etc?). The main thing is that you need to convince the consulate that you are a real student, you've got the required funding and that you intend to return after your studies. If the letter would help in anyway to achieve that goal, then use it.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 5:07am On Oct 04, 2013
ahmedonia4real:

Thanks for the repond to my msg well I will be sponsored by my father with a landed property with a marriage certificate to show that I am married as well but no kids yet are these enough to convince them that I will be coming back home after my studies? And what other thing will u sugest I include to make my application a very sound one?
Thanks in advance

To be honest, the visa process is very subjective, which can be challenging for applicants. Basically, you need to tell a logical, convincing, verifiable story to the visa officer about your case. For instance: why did you pick Canada? Why did you pick the school? And the course of study? Why was there such a long break between high school and college? What were you doing then? Why did you decide to go back to school? How will you support yourself financially in Canada? If you're being sponsored, will the person have enough money to cover your tuition, accommodation, etc for at least the 1st year AND be able to continue to take care of themselves and their family back home in Nigeria? Where will you live in Canada? Do you intend to come back? What will bring you back- job waiting for you, family, etc?
You need to present whatever documents would support your story. There are no hard and fast rules about this, but you might need documents like a statement of purpose, bank statements, birth cert to support your sponsor's being your dad, etc etc. If you're married, you'll need the cert. If the company you work for says your education will benefit them when you get back, etc etc, that might be useful to include in a letter.
If you go to the travelling to Canada thread, you can see lists that people have provided of what they submitted.
Hope this helps.
In a nutshell, tell a good story that makes sense, and support it well. And by the way, I always suggest sticking to the truth; it's easier to support.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Oluwarote: 10:36pm On Nov 24, 2013
Hi everyone here,
I am new on this thread. I have concluded in my mind to do it myself via. Can somebody shed more light on how to upload Statement of Account Online. I m thinking of applying to the embassy for my May 2014 admission by January. Pls I need ur assistance. Thank you and God bless you all.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by UwemJimmy: 4:43pm On Nov 26, 2013
Has anyone heard from cdhc this week?? Not funny again!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2013
am just making preliminary research i saw one university in canada that offer PHD finance Named Laurier university the tuition fees is ok, just 5,000 dollar per term, so my question are, the uni is it a good uni, not only in terms of ranking but other factors like student satisfaction , like in the uk St. Andrews has very high ranking but student are saying is among the most boring uni in the uk, and uni like coventry and east london although not very good ranking has a very strong alumni in nigeria and the tuition is it 1,500 per year or 10000 per year
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Canadathingz(f): 8:16am On Dec 12, 2013
@abbakacici most universities in Canada are good. Also, most graduate programs in Canada are really in expensive. This is because most of them are funded and lecturers are looking for students who they can work with. Most Graduate students in Canada do not pay for their graduate program but the uni pays them to complete their master's all PHD programs. This is why most of this programs are very affordable.

This University especially has a very good reputation in the following arts and social sciences, business and economics, music, science, social work, education and theology. So you are in good hands.

it is in Ontario which is a warmer Province than most parts of Canada. In regards to student satisfaction, I believe you will be quite satisfied with the student body and the life there.

But the most important thing to consider is getting that admission because getting admission to most Canadian Uni's are quite challenging.

Also I would advice that you apply to more than one school.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by bayusman: 12:28am On Dec 20, 2013
Please i need an urgent attention, i've just completed a registration for an elect/elect engr. undergraduate study at a university in canada and i was asked to forward my transcript but the thing is i got my ssce as an external candidate so i went to the school to acquire the transcript which will consist my academy activities and scores etc.. After long explanation i was told that they don't have any info about me since i am an external candidate, although i have collected my certificate how do i explain to the university do i forward just my certificate then explain how i got the certificate .

Thank in anticipation for a better guardian.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by klems4real: 9:34pm On Dec 20, 2013
@BayUsman:..
Go to any Federal High Court with your Original and Photocopy of your SSCE result. Ask for the registrar. Tell him/her that you want to do Certify True Copy of your result. Your result will be certified for you and you will be charged a little fee. After that, send the certified copy to your school. That should be ok. All the best.
 Notesadyou can scan the certified copy and save it in your flash drive for future reference while sending the hardcopy of the certified one to the school).
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by nekkyo(f): 10:39am On Dec 27, 2013
am happy the way people are responding to encourage others meet their dreams. i intend to go to canada for MSc already applying to university of Alberta, married with two kids.though i have a supportive family, i intend travelling with my kids at once(it will ease my emotions). is anyone aware, if taking them will mar my chances of visa? tips to cope when we succeed or an advise on best measure to follow, maybe come for them after a while? am curious to know someone help pls!!!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 3:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
nekkyo: am happy the way people are responding to encourage others meet their dreams. i intend to go to canada for MSc already applying to university of Alberta, married with two kids.though i have a supportive family, i intend travelling with my kids at once(it will ease my emotions). is anyone aware, if taking them will mar my chances of visa? tips to cope when we succeed or an advise on best measure to follow, maybe come for them after a while? am curious to know someone help pls!!!

Ask here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1475467/travelling-canada-part-5
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
nekkyo: am happy the way people are responding to encourage others meet their dreams. i intend to go to canada for MSc already applying to university of Alberta, married with two kids.though i have a supportive family, i intend travelling with my kids at once(it will ease my emotions). is anyone aware, if taking them will mar my chances of visa? tips to cope when we succeed or an advise on best measure to follow, maybe come for them after a while? am curious to know someone help pls!!!

Pretend to be the Visa Officer . . . I am applying to go and study in Canada, and i have told you that once i am done, i will be coming back to Nigeria (Though, most know you wont come back, but they give you the benefit of the doubt that you will) now, you wanna go with your kids:
How much money would you or are you willing to show that you have and be able to take care of you, study and kids?
If you are the VO, would you think i will come back?
You are already taking away some of the biggest Home tie.
Best to go and then, use means of missing them to bring them over later

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pharmow: 8:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Pretend to be the Visa Officer . . . I am applying to go and study in Canada, and i have told you that once i am done, i will be coming back to Nigeria (Though, most know you wont come back, but they give you the benefit of the doubt that you will) now, you wanna go with your kids:
How much money would you or are you willing to show that you have and be able to take care of you, study and kids?
If you are the VO, would you think i will come back?
You are already taking away some of the biggest Home tie.
Best to go and then, use means of missing them to bring them over later

Very logical and Intelligent response/advice one can ever get. By the way Oga Fhemmy, where in Canada are U?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 10:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
pharmow:
Very logical and Intelligent response/advice one can ever get. By the way Oga Fhemmy, where in Canada are U?

Thank you, Sir . . . I am in Greater Toronto Area and where are you?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pharmow: 3:31am On Dec 31, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Thank you, Sir . . . I am in Greater Toronto Area and where are you?

Where? I'm in Mississauga
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Dec 31, 2013

Justwise and Fhemmy you guys are really doing a good job here. Kudos.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Dec 31, 2013
pharmow:
Where? I'm in Mississauga

Work in T.O. but resides in GTA . . . Could talk about that off the thread, if you dont mind, Sir
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by pharmow: 6:18am On Jan 02, 2014
Fhemmmy:

Work in T.O. but resides in GTA . . . Could talk about that off the thread, if you dont mind, Sir

That would be a great idea
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Fhemmmy: 5:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
pharmow:

That would be a great idea

Great
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ahmakar(f): 12:19pm On Jan 07, 2014
hello people!! good job to the people that started this thread, God bless you"all. i want to apply for an mba program in a canadian university. i have Vancouver island uni in mind buh my options are still open. will like an advice and info about life in viu and and recommendation. and is it wise to use an agent? for that i already consulted bcie but still skeptical about them. thanks and reply asap.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by klems4real: 11:21pm On Jan 10, 2014
ahmakar: hello people!! good job to the people that started this thread, God bless you"all. i want to apply for an mba program in a canadian university. i have Vancouver island uni in mind buh my options are still open. will like an advice and info about life in viu and and recommendation. and is it wise to use an agent? for that i already consulted bcie but still skeptical about them. thanks and reply asap.
My dear, you are in the right path. As it stands now, you dont need any agent to process any admission for you. You all do it now all by yourself. Though it requires a lot of reading and commitment from your end. You can simply go through this thread. (www.nairaland.com/search?q=travelling+to+canada) you will definately be fine.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 04, 2014
please i need urgent
help,what is the general minimum
requirement for pgdip in canada?.i
need recommendation for a good and
affordable university that is very good
in social sciences courses like public
administration. and lastly for now how
do i start,im going for services this
august pls when is the best times to
start applying,i was thinking december
will that be too late?what are the
things ill need.pls im a novice,ill be
grateful for your response. @Fhemmmy

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.