Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,240 members, 7,815,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:54 AM

Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? (533787 Views)

Pls I Want To Travel To Canada How Do I Start An How Much Is The Cost / Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (84) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by danielseyon: 7:59pm On Mar 12, 2013
Hi guys. Please, i will like to meet any Nigerian schooling any of the following institutions: Memorial University, Newfoundland, Humber College Toronto and Vancouver Island University. Especially Pascal137. I read one of his posts. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Paschal137(m): 11:26pm On Mar 13, 2013
What would you like to know?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kayce43: 9:17am On Mar 19, 2013
Hi Ifegy , I Dunno hw to say thank you for ur posts cus these r gonna b reference purposes to a lotta nairalanders even in years to come, pls I have a couple of questions , I want to switch to a 2year course wen I get to canada , I hope dat wunt affect me in anyway, I was initially admitted into a PGD programme, now am goin to do a 2yr diploma prog, hope ds wunt affect me in any way?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 2:16pm On Mar 19, 2013
kayce43: Hi Ifegy , I Dunno hw to say thank you for ur posts cus these r gonna b reference purposes to a lotta nairalanders even in years to come, pls I have a couple of questions , I want to switch to a 2year course wen I get to canada , I hope dat wunt affect me in anyway, I was initially admitted into a PGD programme, now am goin to do a 2yr diploma prog, hope ds wunt affect me in any way?

Hi Kaycee, no probs; I do whatever I can by God's grace. Switching programs after you arrive shouldn't be a problem in most cases. Just follow the application procedures and deadlines for the program you want, and if you're qualified, you'll get in. If you then need to adjust your study permit, just ask your school's office for international students for pointers and they will direct you/ As long as you are studying what you want and on track to achieving your goals. I honestly can't think of any negative effects of switching. Hope this helps.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kayce43: 6:42pm On Mar 19, 2013
ifegy:

HI Kaycee, no probs; I do whatever I can by God's shouldn't be a problem in most cases. Just follow the application procedures and deadlines for the program you want, and if you're qualified, you'll get in. If you then need to adjust your study permit, just ask your school's office for international students for pointers and they will direct you/ As long as you are studying what you want and on track to achieving your goals. I honestly can't think of any negative effects of switching. Hope this helps.
It helps a gr8 deal, thanks a lot ifegy
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 8:23pm On Mar 19, 2013
kayce43:
It helps a gr8 deal, thanks a lot ifegy

...just realised the initial post came out rather garbled...I've modified it a bit...hopefully you still got the gist...cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by kayce43: 7:51am On Mar 20, 2013
Thanks a lot @ifegy, yes I still get it, its very clear.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Ctemi(f): 11:10am On Mar 20, 2013
As a female going 2 canada 2 study,do d schools in canada allow pregnant ladies cos ve already apply 2 a school which am 2 resume by september
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 5:10pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ctemi: As a female going 2 canada 2 study,do d schools in canada allow pregnant ladies cos ve already apply 2 a school which am 2 resume by september

Well, there is nothing to prevent anyone from being admitted to schools in Canada, as long as you are qualified. You might want to think through your decision carefully, however.
You say you have applied. Have you been admitted? Have you thought about how you will cope with a child (on your own, maybe), in a foreign country, while trying to maintain your student status? If you have been admitted, have you thought about deferring your admission? There's a lot to think about. Being a foreign student can be challenging; being a new mother can also be difficult. Putting the two together...
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by EMEKS86: 7:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
earthgreeners:

Memorial University of Newfoundland
(Oil and Gas Engineering)
www.mun.ca

Please are you schooling at Memorial University of Newfoundland?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by EMEKS86: 7:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
ifegy:

Hi Kaycee, no probs; I do whatever I can by God's grace. Switching programs after you arrive shouldn't be a problem in most cases. Just follow the application procedures and deadlines for the program you want, and if you're qualified, you'll get in. If you then need to adjust your study permit, just ask your school's office for international students for pointers and they will direct you/ As long as you are studying what you want and on track to achieving your goals. I honestly can't think of any negative effects of switching. Hope this helps.

Pls, do you know whether Memorial University of Newfoundland offers admission unconditionally? I really need to apply to the school, but no information on prior payment of Tuition fees before admission is stressed on their website. You know if they demand for tuition payment before issuing admission letter?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 8:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
EMEKS86:

Pls, do you know whether Memorial University of Newfoundland offers admission unconditionally? I really need to apply to the school, but no information on prior payment of Tuition fees before admission is stressed on their website. You know if they demand for tuition payment before issuing admission letter?

You typically have a to pay an application fee when you apply to schools, but you don't have to pay your tuition BEFORE they admit you. You pay your school fees after you become a student.
There is a thread in the travel section for people looking to study in Canada, which might be helpful: https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sparta300(m): 12:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
First of all *I'll bow my head down low* for the members of this room. U guys are indeed very helpful.
I have one question. After getting a PG certificate from a Canadian College what next? Can one further their education say to Msc? And hw easy is the transition?
I studied Elect Elect with a 2.2. I plan on doing a PG at Humber but my main goal is to get an Msc at the end the day.
I await response (s) thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:13pm On Apr 09, 2013
sparta_300: First of all *I'll bow my head down low* for the members of this room. U guys are indeed very helpful.
I have one question. After getting a PG certificate from a Canadian College what next? Can one further their education say to Msc? And hw easy is the transition?
I studied Elect Elect with a 2.2. I plan on doing a PG at Humber but my main goal is to get an Msc at the end the day.
I await response (s) thanks.

The best approach is to check with the school you want to do the Masters at, as to what their entry requirements are. If you are qualified, the transition is pretty straightforward- just apply to the school, obtain admission and adjust your study permit while you are here to reflect your new program.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
Please I intend going to Canada as a visitor this summer please is it possible to apply for a school while in Canada as a visitor and change my visa type there
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by sparta300(m): 4:57pm On Apr 10, 2013
@ifegy thanks. I just realized my NECO certificate is missing, what can I do since a senior certificate must be presented and would they even accept NECO?
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:23pm On Apr 10, 2013
ik.swiss:
Please I intend going to Canada as a visitor this summer please is it possible to apply for a school while in Canada as a visitor and change my visa type there

Please refer to the official Canadian government immigration site. The quotes below are from the link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

Working or studying in Canada
Most visitors to Canada are not allowed to work or study in Canada without permission.

You must apply for a work permit or a study permit before coming to Canada. If you are visiting Canada and you want to work or study, you must leave Canada and apply from your home country.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 7:26pm On Apr 10, 2013
sparta_300: @ifegy thanks. I just realized my NECO certificate is missing, what can I do since a senior certificate must be presented and would they even accept NECO?

The best thing to do is to contact the school and ask what they will accept. Most schools have an international admissions office or staff who focus on international admissions in their admissions office, and they will tell you what kind of qualifications they require from applicants. They are familiar with educational systems around the world and they have their criteria as to what is acceptable.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Promolysis(m): 10:44am On Apr 11, 2013
Hi nairalanders, i want to study in any canada university. How do i process for student visa. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 2:55pm On Apr 11, 2013
Promolysis: Hi nairalanders, i want to study in any canada university. How do i process for student visa. Thanks

There is a thread on nairaland directed at people who want to study in Canada:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4/39

You can also check the government of Canada website:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by djay1: 3:20am On Aug 19, 2013
Please guys what kind of clothes should I bring to Canada am coming into Ottawa on the 28th of aug and my program strts on 3rd of sept am in portharcourt we're is my best bet to getsuch clothes also what are d requirements to setup a bank account and how long does it take to be active enough to make withdrwals and deposits as am to receive a cheque from my school on arrival.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OMOBOLAk: 10:58am On Aug 19, 2013
Hi ifegy,kaycee and all pls am heading. To vancouvver island university will be arriving nanaimo on the 27th of aug ,pls will like to connect with my peeps already in VIU smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 8:33pm On Aug 19, 2013
OMOBOLA k: Hi ifegy,kaycee and all pls am heading. To vancouvver island university will be arriving nanaimo on the 27th of aug ,pls will like to connect with my peeps already in VIU smiley

HI, you can try posting in this thread which is for students heading to Canada:
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4/265

You can also try connecting with the international students' office when you get there (or via email), asking about getting connected to other international students.
As well, there might be an African/Nigerian students' association on campus. You can ask the international students' office or student affairs office about this, or check the listing of associations on the school's website.
Or there might be a Nigerian association in the city-- try googling.
All the best and hope you have a good stay there!
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by femsuper: 8:23pm On Aug 22, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by honourableseyi: 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2013
femsuper: Please nairalanders...
I need guidance on this issue..
I have a plan to apply for a one year advanced diploma program in the Memorial University Marine Institute..and after this program, i intend to now apply for my masters degree program..
My question is, how easy will it be for me to switch to this masters program after the advanced diploma program?
Can I apply for the masters program on completion of the diploma program while still in canada or i will have to come back to nigeria first before i can apply for the masters program because study permit issue?
I will sincerely appreciate a response to this inquiry of mine....

Bro go to this link and ask your question, I believe you will get answers to your question on time
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4/276#1229480.8845
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by femsuper: 11:10am On Aug 24, 2013
honourableseyi:
Thanks

Bro go to this link and ask your question, I believe you will get answers to your question on time
https://www.nairaland.com/1229480/travelling-canada-part-4/276#1229480.8845
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by OchukoII: 9:16pm On Aug 25, 2013
No vex wrong board
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Osama10(m): 4:03am On Aug 29, 2013
Very informative thread.
Re: Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? by Thayorr(m): 10:01am On Sep 12, 2013
Hello. Please i need advice on a school (1-200 or thereabout) where i can do a masters in finance or a related course. Budget for fees is 2 - 2.5m in naira(13333-16666 in dollars). Am an accounting graduate, and i intend to move next year. Tnks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (84) (Reply)

Thread for South Korea prospective students / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.