Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,330 members, 7,829,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team (19215 Views)

Usain "Lightning" Bolt Wins 100m Final / Obafemi Martins dribble entire defense to score MLS goal of the year( Video) / Female Model Appointed To Coach A Men's Football Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by yamakuza: 12:01pm On Feb 15, 2012
I thought its already been explained?

The lightening struck the ground, travelled the wet pitch, through their steel spikes, and into their wet boots.

The other 11 had plastic spikes on their boots.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by ceejayluv(m): 12:12pm On Feb 15, 2012
yamakuza:

The lightening struck the ground, travelled the wet pitch, through their steel spikes, and into their wet boots.

thank you jare, I could bet its non-africans that conducted the investigation. We were busy accusing the other team of invoking Sango.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Okijajuju1(m): 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2012
yamakuza:

Are you serious?!

Like are you trying to mind Bleep me?!

Please show me this report, because I sensed some humor in your post. . .

ceejayluv:

you are the type that will see a lizard in your living room and yell, screaming that your enemies are after you. Typical african. DR Congo has the highest occurence of cloud-to-earth lightning strikes. (google it). Oh, ok if you cant win your opponents, then u kill dem wit lightning?? Its not even a league final or sometin! Use ur head, thats why you are educated. I'm sure investigations must have bn carried out (by non-africans of course) and answers found.

Yeah!! I went to school but when lightening strikes a fiels with 23 people on it and only kills the members of a team, then questions have got to be asked.

Im sure you did probality and statitcs in secondary school if not also in the university, WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY THAT A LIGHTENING STRIKE HITS A PITCH AND KILLS ALL THE MEMBERS OF ONE TEAM, LEAVING THE REFEREE AND THE OPONENTS UNHARMED? angry

Mazi school. NA you type go see winch dey fly for night still de4y talk about zero gravity. angry
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by yamakuza: 3:30pm On Feb 15, 2012
^

logica:

After scouring the Net, I found this is an old story from 1998:

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/resources/Ltg-Events.pdf

27 October 1998:  Lightning Killed 11 Soccer Players In Congo, Africa, Apparently Via A Ground Streamer,
Rather Than A Direct Strike

Further information though not confirmed was the team that got all players killed were all wearing steel cleats (meaning their boots had steel studs) while the other team had plastic cleats on. Of course the steal cleats are good conductors of electricity.

yamakuza:

Very Scientific Explanation!

NB: They were standing in pools of water, boots all soaked. The steal earthed them. (Plastic didnt earth the others the way birds balance on electric cables).
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by nedu2000(m): 3:33pm On Feb 15, 2012
Were their legs directly on d steel studs,the odds of this happening is off d chart,even a re-creation won't be easy, we shouldn't b ignorant of the devices of devil,how U̶̲̥̅̊ guys watched FINAL DESTINATION?
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by ceejayluv(m): 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2012
I'm on a mobile device, if not i would have dropped the link on a story of a dude that has been struck 8 times (or so) in his life. IS HE POSSESSED? Or the farmer that was struck with his cows and survived, was he stronger than the animals?? Anyway, in africa death is never accidental, some1 in the village must be responsible!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by logica(m): 3:53pm On Feb 15, 2012
nedu2000:

Were their legs directly on d steel studs,the odds of this happening is off d chart,even a re-creation won't be easy, we shouldn't b ignorant of the devices of devil,how U̶̲̥̅̊ guys watched FINAL DESTINATION?

I think those who did the research on this issue have far more of a scientific mind than you do; which explains your lack of understanding. Do you think lightning is the 240 volts of electricity PHCN delivers into your house? And do you know how football shoes (cleats) are constructed? Have you ever worn one before?

Firstly, lightning has high voltage of the order of millions of volts. This kind of voltage will actually have electric charge literally leap at you, talk less of having several metal objects right under your feet.

Secondly, the cleats are likely the older type which had metal screw holes into which the studs screw into (newer designs are a bit different). What more, these screw holes end in metal clips directly under the foam on which the feet rest on. Now when this foam is soaked with water, you have a direct path from the ground through the metal studs, through the connecting screw holes into the clips and water soaked foam.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by nedu2000(m): 7:25pm On Feb 15, 2012
logica:

I think those who did the research on this issue have far more of a scientific mind than you do; which explains your lack of understanding. Do you think lightning is the 240 volts of electricity PHCN delivers into your house? And do you know how football shoes (cleats) are constructed? Have you ever worn one before?

Firstly, lightning has high voltage of the order of millions of volts. This kind of voltage will actually have electric charge literally leap at you, talk less of having several metal objects right under your feet.

Secondly, the cleats are likely the older type which had metal screw holes into which the studs screw into (newer designs are a bit different). What more, these screw holes end in metal clips directly under the foam on which the feet rest on. Now when this foam is soaked with water, you have a direct path from the ground through the metal studs, through the connecting screw holes into the clips and water soaked foam.
, so 'cause I don't accept their reasons I'm scientifically dumb,scientists can makeup lots of possibilties,I'm in the construction line & I know
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by logica(m): 8:09pm On Feb 15, 2012
nedu2000:

scientists can makeup lots of possibilties,I'm in the construction line & I know
Maybe your religious and superstitious beliefs are clouding your expected sound judgement if you actually do have proper training and good experience in construction. But if you can refute any of my foregoing points, please do.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by nedu2000(m): 9:19pm On Feb 15, 2012
I ain't very religious but I'm definitely superstitious, I don't walk under ladders(7 yrs bad luck)
grin,@logica,U̶̲̥̅̊'ve got 2 keep an open mind,spiritualism & voodoo is real,if it isn't it won't have lasted for this long
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by logica(m): 9:43pm On Feb 15, 2012
nedu2000:

spiritualism & voodoo is real,if it isn't it won't have lasted for this long
That's where you are wrong. Maybe it doesn't occur to you, but what we currently refer to today as "Ancient Greek Mythology" with gods like Zeus, Hades and Poseidon was actually the religion of the Greeks several millenniums ago. They lasted for so long before they were replaced by Christianity; so going by your logic they shouldn't have lasted so long yet they are myths (therefore not real). It is the turn of Christianity and other religions.

So the reason they've lasted so long is not because they are real, rather it's because of technical people like you who should know better yet hold on to them.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Dimitrivegas: 6:16am On Oct 05, 2013
I have heard sources that one team was wearing steel studs on their cleats. Since the turf was drenched with water, electricity conducted through the wet field only to steel studded shoes.

While the other team was wearing plastic cleats. It is the only logical explanation.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by gazilion: 4:44pm On Oct 15, 2013
The need for people to be prayerful...evil things do happen in this world...
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
Hope d ethiopian team will not choose dis alternative against d supa eagles
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by gazilion: 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Boneda: Hope d ethiopian team will not choose dis alternative against d supa eagles

I hope not, even if they do, it won't work for them.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by gazilion: 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2013
Was it thunder that struck Iraq and Iran when we played against them in the recent under 17 world cup ? smiley
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by tck2000(m): 2:54pm On Jun 06, 2019
First

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man United Could Pay Sanchez £12m Next Season Not To Play For Them / List Of Highest Goal Scorers & MVPs Of Every African Cup Of Nations Tournament / UCL: Milan Praise 'Naija Excellence' After Chukwueze’s Goal Sends Them To Europa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.