Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,455 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team (19192 Views)

Usain "Lightning" Bolt Wins 100m Final / Obafemi Martins dribble entire defense to score MLS goal of the year( Video) / Female Model Appointed To Coach A Men's Football Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by gazilion: 1:21pm On Feb 09, 2012
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/lightning-kills-an-entire-football-team-1181336.html

FOOTBALL FANS in the central African state of Congo were hurling accusations of witchcraft at each other yesterday after a freak blast of lightning struck dead an entire team on the playing field while their opponents were left completely untouched.
The bizarre blow by the weather to all 11 members of the football team was reported in the daily newspaper L'Avenir in Kinshasa, the capital of Congo.

"Lightning killed at a stroke 11 young people aged between 20 and 35 years during a football match," the newspaper reported . It went on to say that 30 other people had received burns at the weekend match, held in the eastern province of Kasai. "The athletes from Basanga [the home team] curiously came out of this catastrophe unscathed."

The suspicion that the black arts might be involved arose firstly because the opposing team emerged unharmed and then again because the score at the time was a delicately balanced one all.

"The exact nature of the lightning has divided the population in this region which is known for its use of fetishes in football," the newspaper commented.

Much of the detail about the match remains obscure as the Congo - officially known as the Democratic Republic of Congo - remains stricken by civil war between the government of Laurent Kabila and rebel forces, backed by neighbouring Rwanda, in the east of the country.

Witchcraft is often blamed for adverse natural phenomena throughout western and central Africa. It is relatively frequent for football teams to hire witchdoctors to place hexes on their opponents.

In a similar, though less deadly incident in South Africa over the weekend, six players from a local team were hurt when lightning struck the playing field during a thunderstorm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/lightning-kills-an-entire-football-team-1181336.html
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by honeric01(m): 3:11pm On Feb 11, 2012
Uhm, Africans won't change!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 11:04am On Feb 12, 2012
Africa is a sad continent, cry
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by prince0(m): 11:07am On Feb 12, 2012
Does lightning striking person to death peculiar to Africa alone or it happens in the western world too?
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by jspac(m): 11:08am On Feb 12, 2012
Nawa o 21st century dark arts grin but seriously why cant they use these things for good. undecided
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by victorazy(m): 11:11am On Feb 12, 2012
I wonder why came from this odd continent (God 4giv me jst saying my mind)
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Obijulius: 11:17am On Feb 12, 2012
all dis people cryin africa r hopeless. were hitler, stalin & mussolini africans? selfrighteous dogz. sympathies 2 d bereaved
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Limaoscar: 11:19am On Feb 12, 2012
O.K.,I'm watching this one closely. Hope it's not true.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Ayoobscom(m): 11:42am On Feb 12, 2012
Africa black at heart as black in skin
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by jorel1(m): 11:46am On Feb 12, 2012
If only Africa ues this witchcraft technology for Research and development, they would haved suppased the western world by now. WTF
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 12, 2012
Invite NL's atheists and those who do not believe in a tangible spiritual world to come and explain this.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by jamace(m): 11:52am On Feb 12, 2012
Africa my Africa! angry sad sad
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by crowaddy(m): 11:54am On Feb 12, 2012
Very old story. Almost 5 years ago
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by IbroSaunks(m): 11:55am On Feb 12, 2012
lari03:

Invite NL's atheists and those who do not believe in a tangible spiritual world to come and explain this.
that's a very good idea. claremont and co., please take the floor!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by agabaI23(m): 12:00pm On Feb 12, 2012
Why are people busy denegrating Africa just because dark art was mentioned? First yhing would've the incidence and go ahead disprove it if you think it is not witchcraft.
Curiously, one would wonder why members of  team were selectly electrocuted if  this story is true. Has it anything to do with their fabrics?
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by waxrider: 12:04pm On Feb 12, 2012
Atheist in the house. What can you say about this?
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 12:09pm On Feb 12, 2012
Or is this another case of "thunder Balogun" ?
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by sheyguy: 12:13pm On Feb 12, 2012
The incident occured long time ago. i first heard of it sometimes back. Date on article say 1998.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by begwong: 12:20pm On Feb 12, 2012
any proof of this superstory? we need youtube link etc except if all the cameras were attacked by the lightning as well!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by ochukoccna: 12:43pm On Feb 12, 2012
This is , shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by yamakuza: 12:45pm On Feb 12, 2012
1 strike or 11 strikes?
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 12:51pm On Feb 12, 2012
This happened in 1998 now!! 14 years ago!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by kjhova(m): 12:55pm On Feb 12, 2012
Old story but quite true! Lightening is a regular cause of death globally and it is purely natural just like Volcanos or Tsunamis. All this Afrophobic statement here is born of pure ignorance of the naturality of death by lightening. For all those demanding that rational (supposedly atheist) people should come up with explanations, there goes your explanation. If you still insist on witchcraft, dark art etc, & still hold the black skin responsible for something purely natural, I can only feel sorry for you. BTW, just to let you in on the extent of my conviction, I also challenge all the witches & dark artists in house to kill me before the AFCON final starts tonight for calling them all moronic idiots!!! If they don't (can't) which proof you'd get by my replying again on this thread, I have demonstrated to you in the simplest way that the belief in the efficacy of such things is as a result of profound ignorance! That's where your problem lie not in the color of your skin nor the name of your continent! Arivedecci!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by ochukoccna: 12:58pm On Feb 12, 2012
@ op, this is so old son
Thursday 29 October 1998 is almost 15 years ago
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by kjhova(m): 1:05pm On Feb 12, 2012
Just to add, according to d Guinness book of world records 2006, d most lightening attack in a lifetime was an American white male (struck 8 times till then & still living)! He was never accused a witch by his society nor did he ever ascribe his condition to some unseen witchy enemies. I pray non here ever get struck by lightening, you stand guilty already in our own ignorant society. Its just about being in the wrong place at the wrong time; just like in earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, tornadoes, snow storms, sand storms, landslide, avalanches etc!! I hope their's at least 1 sane mind in the house!!!
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by purefella(m): 1:11pm On Feb 12, 2012
na wa oo
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by eghost247(m): 1:28pm On Feb 12, 2012
sad
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by bigdoo: 1:48pm On Feb 12, 2012
Research into African (Nigerian) witchcraft should be sponsored by private individuals as the government would not be keen to do so. I feel that it is an entirely untapped resource for Africa as a whole and Nigeria in particular as the continent has comparative advantage in this unique field of science that would enable us to be at par with the developed world in a special way.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by odeexpress(m): 1:50pm On Feb 12, 2012
This is a recycled story of over 14 years, The actual date of the event: Thursday 29 October 1998
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2012
@kj_hova
the people around the scene mentioned witchcraft.
Maybe you are not in Africa now,because if you were, then you would know that like Freemasons,AMORC,Ogboni,ROFetc exists, witchcraft using the elements of nature is real.
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 12, 2012
It is an old story
Re: Lightning Kills An Entire Football Team by fiftylumski: 2:14pm On Feb 12, 2012
@kj_hova

Dude you need a wake up call, the lightning killed 11 people from the same team. Why didnt it affect the opposing team? Please explain that to us ok?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Riyad Mahrez Set To Join Manchester City / Man United Could Pay Sanchez £12m Next Season Not To Play For Them / Former Italy And Ac Milan Legend Maldini Dies At 84.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.