Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:43 PM

Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English (3994 Views)

Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? / Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You? / Women And Regret: When There Marry Someone Thinking He Is Rich(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by omena555(f): 8:29am On Oct 18, 2007
Can u marry/settle down with someone who though educated (infact a graduate), speaks bad english? I mean he/she makes grammatic blunders (what we call 'ogo' in nigeria). He/she doesnt know when to use present or past tenses and hence mixes them up and lots more. And the english sounds really irritating to your ears as an educated and enlightened person.  cheesy

Please kindly give your comments on this
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by ruescho(m): 9:13am On Oct 18, 2007
Is there anybody in Nigeria speaking proper English
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by efuah(f): 9:25am On Oct 18, 2007
ruescho:

lol lipsrsealed

ei omena wink why do u ask? is someone burning ur ears over there?? cheesy
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by omena555(f): 10:26am On Oct 18, 2007
@ruescho, of-course there are lots of pple in naija who speak flawless english, but some few ones dont. wink

@efua, u are so so funny oh! But sha, person ear dey hot at times oh! wink
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by almondjoy(f): 12:03pm On Oct 18, 2007
Never!  Nothing romantic about bad grammar.  If we are speaking "our" native tongue,  pidgin or whatever--ok.  But please if you do not have a decent---not excellent---command of the "English" language, please stay away from it.  It is a major turn-off and breeds lots of resentments. 

I frankly do not like being embarrassed by all the "fuses" blown up in my house, causing electrical short circuits, in the attempt to express one's self in the almighty English language.  Yes, no one speaks "perfect" English in England also.  But if you call yourself a "graduate", then certain things are expected of you to prove that you indeed "graduated" and were not just "paroled" academically or educationally-speaking!

Bottom line. if we are just acquaintances it is okay--because I do not have to deal with you on a daily basis.  As a romantic interest--heaven's forbid! shocked  That will make me too uncomfortable and I do not like to live my life pleasing others.  The person may have all the loving characteristics in this world.  All of no use to me if you cannot communicate effectively in whatever language you attempt to use.

I frankly do not care for those if the "grammar, phonetics, syntax and morphology" of a language have to be sacrificed on a daily basis to my sensitive ears!  I think I will keep searching till I get it right or just plain be by myself.  We can't even be friends--will not allow such in my neighbourhood not to talk of my street! No qualms at all!  Very aggravating! angry
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by larriederm(m): 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2007
@almondjoy,
na wa o, u want kill me with gramma oooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! lol

omenna555, everybody learn everyday, if u truly love him u can greatly influence him., afterall u can speak fluent english!

but remember english language is not our mother's language oooooooooo! so far the guy can communicate with u i think u ok! (laugh)!
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by omena555(f): 5:16pm On Oct 18, 2007
dont mind almondjoy, the guy harsh oh! cheesy

but larriderm, u didnt answer the question oh, will u marry someone who speaks bad english?
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by FufuKing1(m): 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2007
ruescho:

LOL! That was precisely my reaction. All Nigerians want to speak is pidgin. Their English is dreadful.
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by larriederm(m): 2:49pm On Oct 19, 2007
i can! as long as we can communicate with our self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by bikokwe(m): 3:23pm On Oct 19, 2007
HOW? HOW!!! JUST imagine this scenerio where she will be asked if she will take u as her, husband.
responds: YES I DIDNT.how? ur friends come visiting na blunder.a prayer session,blunder. a brief openin speech in a ceremony,blunder,
probably she come like quarrel na d english na him u go vex 4.CAPITAL NO.PLZ. A graduate for dat matter.probably ENGLISH
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by Ebonyj(f): 3:33pm On Oct 19, 2007
I rememebr going to a party a while back and people were talking about the things they did not like and one of the guys said
" I am a phobia of blood" you should have seen the look on his wfe's face, I could not stop laughing.

I am married but if I was not I would think twice about going out with some who's command of English is far from decent.Then again love is deaf so I might abi, there is no harm in being disgraced and embarassed by the way your partner speaks English is there?
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by FufuKing1(m): 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2007
bikokwe:

HOW? HOW!!! JUST imagine this scenerio where she will be asked if she will take u as her, husband.
responds: YES I DIDNT.how? your friends come visiting na blunder.a prayer session,blunder. a brief openin speech in a ceremony,blunder,
probably she come like quarrel na d english na him u go vex 4.CAPITAL NO.PLZ. A graduate for that matter.probably ENGLISH

Ok, your English is terrible. I hope you don't think that what you just wrote was good English. It is not. At all.
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by omena555(f): 5:14pm On Oct 19, 2007
Ebonyj:

I rememebr going to a party a while back and people were talking about the things they did not like and one of the guys said
" I am a phobia of blood" you should have seen the look on his wfe's face, I could not stop laughing.
ROFLOL  cheesy oh boy ehhhhhhhhhhhh!  cheesy cheesy cheesy now that is serious! i feel for that woman oh cry
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by Bblak(f): 6:01pm On Oct 19, 2007
Not exactly
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by Olad234(m): 2:19pm On Oct 22, 2007
I thought Love is blind and deaf but in your case love isn't deaf to understand the grammatical blunder, Anyway I believe that self development is what important; when its come to relationship. Try to develop reading environment, Always read together for leisure before you know what 's up Him/her is up and running. Cos I know in relationship it's always easy to learn fast especially when You love your spouse. Always Remember that love cover multitude of sin.
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by bikokwe(m): 2:48pm On Nov 05, 2007
@u re lucky am very tired i wont like to write so much.plz that was both english and pigin ok.thanks
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by Bolarge(m): 2:40pm On Nov 06, 2007
How suppose me to marries persons who spokes bad engliss?
Such persons embarasses me in every public every time. No way at all at all. angry
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by eezzy(f): 2:44pm On Nov 06, 2007
Definitely! English is a foreign language anyway.
I would be his translater
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2007
If he has money and does  not ask for a prenup,why not grin
you can use idea and register him in a finishing school to help brush up
or just ask him to shut up in public or better still, just speak Igbo or "broken" in gatherings.

kidding

no way.
as soon as he opens his mouth and I hear him say "we is coming"
He will be going!! grin.
I no fit handle the shame.
what will people say? lipsrsealed
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by Carlosein(m): 6:41pm On Nov 06, 2007
@nwando.

people will say look at that man/woman that is married to a woman/man who can

not make a correct sentence in english grin
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by minute(f): 6:47pm On Nov 06, 2007
i might.iyen on she oroiyan now.
LOL.no point telling him  to go home.

just give him the u -should-know-when-to-shut-it-and-when-not-to seductive smile when he starts to misyarn  in public.
he shld be able catch the drift.

and before i consider anything ,everything boils down to how fat his bank account is.
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by adeboo(f): 10:30am On Nov 07, 2007
Nope.
I couldnt do that, cause marriage is a life long commitment and if his bad english is irritating, then i just cant be with him.
It will be an issue later on, if he smells bad as well, it will not even go past the talking stage - cause this is gonna be an issue in future.

1 Like

Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by dyabman(m): 11:49am On Nov 07, 2007
YES MARRY HE OR SHE AND BRING AN ENGLISH TEACHER, U KNOW,
Re: Will You Marry Someone Who Speaks Bad English by AkinKg: 10:14am On Nov 08, 2007
Why not?
Is he/she willing 2 learn?
Do u know wt u want out of ur marriage?
Dat sm1 isn't letterd does not min he/she b disposed. If both of u show REAl interests; u can help each other. dat' y u are there 4 each other.

(1) (Reply)

What Makes You Excited? / Pls Can Someone Tell Me How I've Wronged My Elder Sister / I Needs Help In My Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.