Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,963 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? (5022 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / Important Changes To Australia Student Visa Requirements (2012) / Immigration To Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 11, 2012
You have made up your mind already, why did you come on here then? I don't buy the story of wanting to hear opinions. Your mind has been made up already. All the best
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 12:42pm On Feb 11, 2012
jennykadry:

You have made up your mind already, why did you come on here then? I don't buy the story of wanting to hear opinions. Your mind has been made up already. All the best
If my mind was made up, I wouldn't have bothered to open this thread in the first place. The thing is that my own family are also as divided over this issue, the same way the opinions on this thread are divided. It may be likely to get a good job in Australia after studying a PhD in Public Health, BUT it's not guaranteed. The thorny point of this PhD has to do with the long-term prospects, but in the short-term, it is by far the best option.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 11, 2012
Your mind is already made up. Go through your posts and tell me if they some off as replies from someone that really hasn't made up his mind already.

Like I said earlier, i don't buy your story of wanting to get people's opinions first cos it really does not look that way

All the best anywayz
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by violent(m): 1:19pm On Feb 11, 2012
If my mind was made up, I wouldn't have bothered to open this thread in the first place

your mind was not made up, it was pure by pure chance that you thought an appropriate username for you must be "combat medic"

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by suxes2006(m): 4:15pm On Feb 11, 2012
@OP, I'd advice PhD in Aussie!

Advantage: You can't get bombed studying in Australia
You'll surely get a high paying job after graduation
You can get ur British PP later or even forget it, of what value
is it trying to lose yur life cause of British PP?

What if after 3 months you got discharged on health basis?
Hmnnn? You lose education and ur british pp dream.

SHALOM
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 1:43pm On Feb 12, 2012
Well, I have thought about it for the past 24 hours.

I have made a decision to start with the Army tomorrow. IF I get medically discharged within the next 4 weeks, I will simply take my scholarship letter to the Australian High Commission, and apply for a student visa to Australia. IF I am able to pull through the Army basic training, I will honour my contractual obligations to her Majesty, and then pursue a PhD afterwards.

Bonne Chance. . .
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 12, 2012
^^ you don't get it do you? Your mind was already made up long before you started this thread

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by dnative(m): 2:02pm On Feb 12, 2012
The 4-year contract is not necessarily guaranteed as well with the ongoing Tory cuts and servicemen losing their jobs while in the field on active duty.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 2:20pm On Feb 12, 2012
jennykadry:

^^ you don't get it do you? Your mind was already made up long before you started this thread
Since I can't make you believe the sincerity of this thread, no worries.

dnative:

The 4-year contract is not necessarily guaranteed as well with the ongoing Tory cuts and servicemen losing their jobs while in the field on active duty.
It's a 12 year contract actually, but you are committed to complete 4 years before you can leave. The Tory cuts is applied to 'deadwood' in the system, not to fresh recruits. Moreover, Medics are exempt from cuts due to the critical nature of the work they do.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by eghost247(m): 3:26pm On Feb 12, 2012
i say go with the British army job

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by chika98: 5:28pm On Feb 12, 2012
combatmedic:

Well, I have thought about it for the past 24 hours.

I have made a decision to start with the Army tomorrow. IF I get medically discharged within the next 4 weeks, I will simply take my scholarship letter to the Australian High Commission, and apply for a student visa to Australia. IF I am able to pull through the Army basic training, I will honour my contractual obligations to her Majesty, and then pursue a PhD afterwards.

Bonne Chance. . .

Alrighty then. Good luck to you. Stay safe
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by SapeleDon: 11:19pm On Feb 12, 2012
@combatmedic

Good choice.

The part in your post still very confusing to me is the part of you getting medically discharged while in training.

How can you be medically discharged while in training?when the CHIEF pre-requite in joining the military is that you have to be certifiably healthy?

But let me not jump into illogical conclusions as their might be medical waivers for some health conditions in the British Army.

But in the US Military they screen you for EVERYTHING and you have to be atleast 99.99% healthy to get in.

Your blood work is done(HIV/AIDS),tuberculosis(for people with African descent),rare blood disease check,vision,Teeth,hearing,your weight,height,you will walk the DUCK WALK to show your joints can move,for the male they check your BALLS for prostrate and you bend over for two medical doctors to use a flash light to check your ANUS for one funny disease i have forgotten the name. Then when you are in you do most of this checks up yearly again.

They do this so they dont take any sick person in as that will later amount to be a burden on the Govt for treating that soldier,and that is why you can not have any medical condition and be in the military.

But if you get it while in training(break your leg or back or somebody mistakely shoot your leg lol) then your STEADY DISABILITY SHORORO(money)forever is guaranteed.

One thing common in Military training and and it affects the women mostly,is the HIPS.

Too much running while in training usually leave people with broken hips and they are usually give medical discharge while in training.

My BROTHER HOPE SAY U SABI RUN?you go see run inside MILITARY TRAINING you go begin think say you dey do training to go olympics with wetin be that Jamaican guy name?

My prayers is that you dont develop any medical condition while in training as the military will open a lot of doors for you,especially with all your education and if you add prior military service to your RESUME/CV work finish.

Another thing i forgot to add is that you should be mentally strong as you will need it to survive the hard training conditions.

On a lighter note(LAFF NOW)if you are married or have a girlfriend,try do well well before you GO as your thing no go GET UP again for a long time because you will be so tired every night from training your thoughts will not even be on BANGA AND STARCH(which is my favourite food)let alone babe.

Keep us informed before you ship as our prayers are with you.

Good luck and God speed.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by collinsfbi(m): 11:35am On Feb 13, 2012
Hmmm! i think jennykadry is 100% right. So, no need for my advice anymore. I wish you heavenly protection and best of luck in all your endeavours.

Gbammmm over and out
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 2:50pm On Feb 25, 2012
Already on week 3 of training, 11 more weeks left in this shithole and I will be on my phase 2. No massive injury worries yet for me, my body seems to be holding up remarkably well.
Sapele_Don:

@combatmedic
The part in your post still very confusing to me is the part of you getting medically discharged while in training.

How can you be medically discharged while in training?when the CHIEF pre-requite in joining the military is that you have to be certifiably healthy?

The British Army does the same medical checks as the US Army, but you can be medically discharged whilst in training if you pick up an injury. I'm not aware of any monetary compensation though.

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by learn(f): 2:55pm On Jun 26, 2012
HI Combatmedic

i sent u an email via nairaland but u hav to be online before i can mail u
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by learn(f): 4:14pm On Jun 26, 2012
c
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 11:53pm On Jun 26, 2012
learn: HI Combatmedic

i sent u an email via nairaland but u hav to be online before i can mail u
learn: combatmedic, please can u mail me on schoolgirl352@yahoo.nl pleassssssssssssssss
Ask your question here so everyone can benefit, I don't give my email out to online characters for security reasons please.

In conclusion of this epic tale grin,I have since safely passed out of basic training. A word of advice to Nigerians in the diaspora; NEVER, EVER GIVE UP!

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by learn(f): 5:35pm On Jun 27, 2012
oga, i just opened this email, no vex just open a fresh email and give me biko, nothing fishy, no vex biko
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 5:47pm On Jun 27, 2012
learn: oga, i just opened this email, no vex just open a fresh email and give me biko, nothing fishy, no vex biko
If nothing is "fishy", you might as well ask the question here so everyone can benefit. I would not waste my time opening a new email account simply because of you.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by learn(f): 6:32pm On Jun 27, 2012
[uuuuu are really harsh bros, na wah ohhhhh
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by musicceleb: 6:42pm On Jun 27, 2012
jjj
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by combatmedic: 7:00pm On Aug 13, 2012
BUMP! grin

Living the dream. Train hard, fight easy! wink
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by noblegas2(m): 12:38am On Aug 14, 2012
combatmedic: BUMP! grin

Living the dream. Train hard, fight easy! wink
That's right but I'll have actually preferred you to repeat this statement of yours after about 6 month or a year in Iran or Syria.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by oreroyce(m): 12:27pm On Aug 14, 2012
Phd can wait, the army job is a once in a lifetime opportunity o and its not like u go dey war front self.....
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by IamFenriz(m): 12:36pm On Aug 14, 2012
@combatmedic im happy u made the right choice. Ive seen d payscale for army medics and its very impressive, plus its tax free if im correct. That aside at what time of the year did u start your application? Im thinking of enlisting as an officer for the Royal Navy on completion of my masters next year. Thanks
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by osram(m): 8:48am On Aug 15, 2012
violent:

your mind was not made up, it was pure by pure chance that you thought an appropriate username for you must be "combat medic"
lmao..
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by osram(m): 8:57am On Aug 15, 2012
Sapele_Don: @combatmedic

Good choice.

But let me not jump into illogical conclusions as their might be medical waivers for some health conditions in the British Army.

But in the US Military they screen you for EVERYTHING and you have to be atleast 99.99% healthy to get in.

Your blood work is done(HIV/AIDS),tuberculosis(for people with African descent),rare blood disease check,vision,Teeth,hearing,your weight,height,you will walk the DUCK WALK to show your joints can move,for the male they check your BALLS for prostrate and you bend over for two medical doctors to use a flash light to check your ANUS for one funny disease i have forgotten the name. Then when you are in you do most of this checks up yearly again.

They do this so they dont take any sick person in as that will later amount to be a burden on the Govt for treating that soldier,and that is why you can not have any medical condition and be in the military.

But if you get it while in training(break your leg or back or somebody mistakely shoot your leg lol) then your STEADY DISABILITY SHORORO(money)forever is guaranteed.

One thing common in Military training and and it affects the women mostly,is the HIPS.

Too much running while in training usually leave people with broken hips and they are usually give medical discharge while in training.

My BROTHER HOPE SAY U SABI RUN?you go see run inside MILITARY TRAINING you go begin think say you dey do training to go olympics with wetin be that Jamaican guy name?

My prayers is that you dont develop any medical condition while in training as the military will open a lot of doors for you,especially with all your education and if you add prior military service to your RESUME/CV work finish.

Another thing i forgot to add is that you should be mentally strong as you will need it to survive the hard training conditions.

On a lighter note(LAFF NOW)if you are married or have a girlfriend,try do well well before you GO as your thing no go GET UP again for a long time because you will be so tired every night from training your thoughts will not even be on BANGA AND STARCH(which is my favourite food)let alone babe.

Keep us informed before you ship as our prayers are with you.

Good luck and God speed.

bros u yan well o...u de u.s.a army ne?
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by Tstark(m): 4:56pm On Aug 15, 2012
This OP had already made up his mind when he chose his username. He just came here to show off

angry
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by jorianLTD: 10:26pm On Sep 12, 2012
am presently in the British army and its been great. no more war everything is coming to an end soon. PHD OR MASTERS DOSENT GUarantee a good job all lies in the hands of GOD. with the ARmy lot of doors are open. British PASSPORT Its even a secondary thing it dosent determine your success but you get looked after properly and if you have a family you will be sorted its the easiest job in the world, you sit in your office 8 to 5 doing nothing and being a ComBAT mEDIC you earn lot of respect when posted to your unit. They cALL THEM senior capbadge. i am with the Adjutant General corp i work as A military administrator and after taking out my food expense and accommodation i take home 1400 pounds end of the month. Speak to your fellow friends and family here in the uk, REnt is the major killer here and you have nothing to show for, Go for the army and trust me you will be proud of yourself.
Re: Urgent Dilemma: British Army Job, Or Phd Scholarship To Australia? by DrHemD(m): 8:17am On Jun 05, 2022
Good morning,
Anyone online here?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Any Nairalanders Living In Paris? / Travelling To Ghana By Road / 7 Best International Student Loans In The UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.