Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 PM

3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? (13671 Views)

Best Data Speed : Glo Or Etisalat / Hurray! Mtn Fastlink 3G Data Modem Now N5,500 / Ip Address For Free Internet On Zain Zambia Or Mtn Zambia (2) (3) (4)

3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Bossman(m): 3:19pm On Feb 12, 2012
It's very important that I am able to connect and maintain a connection during my visit. I have an unlocked USB modem that I plan on using with my laptop. So, I just want to get the opinion of those of you that have used both. Which one do you think is more reliable when it comes to 3G data. I already have an MTN sim that I use, but it sure has been a task maintaining a 3G connection. A lot of times one cannot even connect at all. So, just trying to see if GLO will be better. Usage will be mostly on the Ikeja/Ogba area.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Feb 12, 2012
Welcome to naija, where no network is stable
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by damola1: 3:28pm On Feb 12, 2012
Except of course your sim free usb modem. I use Etisalat in Adeniyi Jones, Ikeja. And it's been better & cheaper than MTN , Glo, especially with the rollover option. I have some free 3G data sims I got last december, might send it over if you wish to try them.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Reference(m): 3:31pm On Feb 12, 2012
All networks are on average the same. The main problem they have is that of congestion which is impossible to predict. If you can afford it go for both. I have all of them and maintain a minimum of 3 at any given time. I currently use GLO, Airtel and Etisalat. Just came off Starcomms. GLO has been fiddly these past two days so I won't renew. MTN comes back again.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Bossman(m): 3:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
I know, Odiaero. Especially when one is used to 24/7 reliable data connection anywhere. I was last there in April, and I have always used MTN. Usually sign up for the daily data plans, however the reliability is very questionable. Will be there next month, so just trying to see if things have got better with MTN or if there are better options.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by megawax8: 3:35pm On Feb 12, 2012
With regards stability,i tink glo iz beta but mtn has a beta 3G service
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Bossman(m): 3:38pm On Feb 12, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys. I guess I will just pick up a GLO when I get there and just see which one works better. The MTN will be my main line for voice since I have used that in the past and most folks know that number. Just want something (another MTN or GLO, or any of the other ones) that I will used strictly in my unlocked usb modem.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by W3xy1(m): 3:39pm On Feb 12, 2012
i use glo here in ilorin. Wcdma is only stable during the day while hsdpa is stable at night/early morning
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by uzoexcel(m): 3:52pm On Feb 12, 2012
Use etisalat, i m a telecoms engr and just recently joined d 3g proj 4 ET, in d ikeja/v.i area they r superb
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by vowiski(m): 4:06pm On Feb 12, 2012
I was about writting something about glo network, when i saw this,

pls dont ever use glo, I was deceived to try their network and i have regretted my actions.

MTN is bad, but still more reliable than the rest,

We must give kudos to the guys at NCC for letting it rot to this level, Good riddance!
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by FEMARY1: 4:07pm On Feb 12, 2012
W3xy1:

i use glo here in ilorin. Wcdma is only stable during the day while hsdpa is stable at night/early morning
WCDMA and HSDPA is the same 3G.

Go for GLO.I have been using GLO for two months now with out any issues.
megawax8:

With regards stability,i tink glo iz beta but[b] mtn has a beta 3G service[/b]
I disagree.GLO has a wider 3G coverage than MTN.From pactical testing.

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by gempo(m): 4:08pm On Feb 12, 2012
Am talking from experience here because i have both Glo and MTN. I prefer Glo. I have noticed that they are slightly faster than MTN and their packages are cheaper and more flexible than MTN. I have used both in Okota, Lagos and preferred Glo. Am currently using both in Owerri and still preffer Glo.

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by tnktosin(m): 4:29pm On Feb 12, 2012
Av used MTN, GLO and ETISALAT and they all messed up. Av fallen back to Glo and i think the service is alot better now. But if you're living in Lagos you might want to use Swift. Even though it comes at a price i understand it worth it.

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by silibaba: 4:43pm On Feb 12, 2012
go for emptyhen(mtn) grin grin
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by ogbongzky(m): 4:48pm On Feb 12, 2012
I use Glo. The only network with 3G service in benue for now.

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Yeske2(m): 5:03pm On Feb 12, 2012
Etisalat HSDPA is the fastest ever at least here in Onitsha, don't know about your location sha but just try it and forget the rest.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by server34(m): 5:07pm On Feb 12, 2012
For browsing on my ipad, av tried MTN, Airtel and Etisalat. Etisalat has been d best (make i no too talk, maybe na because ppl neva plenty wey dey use am) lipsrsealed
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by flexdee(m): 5:16pm On Feb 12, 2012
I've tried most of them and i think MTN is more preferable. Go for MTN
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by okoagwu(m): 5:32pm On Feb 12, 2012
ihave etisalat, MTN and Zain but think the most reliable among all of them is MTN
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by dmainboss: 5:47pm On Feb 12, 2012
A lot of comments here don't reflect the truth on the ground. I have used Glo, starcomms, MTN, Airtel, Multilinks, Etisalat and VISA. They all have their pros and cons depending on ur location. The fastest network is undeniably Glo, but they have also messed me up a lot. Etisalat is also fast but very unstable. I have bought 2 different etisalat modems. Starcomms and Visa are still one of the most reliable. Airtel is very stable but not as fast as Glo. MTN is still about the poorest network for browsing. They messed me up big time. So it really depends on where u stay and ur bandwidth demands. After using most of them, I have settled for Glo and Visa. In Abuja, Visa is about the fastest. Glo is the best value for money network. 6gb for 7.5k and they give u 3gb on ur bb and bb browsing is superb.

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by dustydee: 6:09pm On Feb 12, 2012
I still wonder why there's no true broadband in Nigeria.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by kristiansmart: 6:21pm On Feb 12, 2012
The main problem they have is that of congestion which is impossible to predict. If you can afford it go for both. I have all of them and maintain a minimum of 3 at any given time. [img]http://www.egala.info/g.php[/img]
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by sucre05: 6:28pm On Feb 12, 2012
its such a shame that as big as 9ja is, we cannot boast of a single network to give us an enjoyable browsing experience. No true broadband!
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Mobinga: 6:38pm On Feb 12, 2012
Etisalat is much more better and stable than Glo and MTN.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Ezyoung(m): 6:40pm On Feb 12, 2012
Glo is far more better than Mtn, believe me.
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by xtremeidea(m): 6:56pm On Feb 12, 2012
dmainboss:

A lot of comments here don't reflect the truth on the ground. I have used Glo, starcomms, MTN, Airtel, Multilinks, Etisalat and VISA. They all have their pros and cons depending on ur location. The fastest network is undeniably Glo, but they have also messed me up a lot. Etisalat is also fast but very unstable. I have bought 2 different etisalat modems. Starcomms and Visa are still one of the most reliable. Airtel is very stable but not as fast as Glo. MTN is still about the poorest network for browsing. They messed me up big time. So it really depends on where u stay and ur bandwidth demands. After using most of them, I have settled for Glo and Visa. In Abuja, Visa is about the fastest. Glo is the best value for money network. 6gb for 7.5k and they give u 3gb on ur bb and bb browsing is superb.

Impressive but ur forgetting that speed of ur modem also contribute to speed of ur browsing. My analysis is in line with urs.

Recommendation: Get a fast modem (e.g 10.2mbps and above) and ur assured that even in the worse wheather, u can get a good speed.

My Analysis.

Modem: Huawei K3520 10.2mbps HSPA

MTN - Network claimed speed - 3.5G

Annoying, unstable, can go off for days and weeks. but when the network is back to normal its fast. they have no regards for their customers!!! max download speed attained by me on good network using 10.2mbps modem is 450kps on Internet download manager.

Glo - Network claimed speed - 4G

Good, but can be unstable at times. good packages, real value for money. cheapest data plans. max download speed attained by me on good network using 10.2mbps modem is 300kps on Internet download manager.

Etisalat - Network claimed speed 3.75G

Very unstable. can be fast now and slow the next minute. very expensive data plan. fastest network in terms of download speed. good customer care with a lot of bonus and data freebies. max download speed attained by me on good network using 10.2mbps modem is 763kps on Internet download manager.

Airtel - Network claimed speed 3.5G

Very stable on 3G, unstable on Edge. To enjoy their network u would have to change ur internet settings to 3g only. max download speed attained by me on good network using 10.2mbps modem is 350kps on Internet download manager.

So far this are the networks i use for now. Am a heavy downloader and slow internet piss me off.

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by prefers555: 6:56pm On Feb 12, 2012
Glo network is quite fast, but b ready to bear the worst of airtime pilfering. The in-built software charges u even at megabytes even without opeining a web page. Advice is, check the glo user interface every minute u browse, if ur download speed increases unjustifiably, hurriedly disconnect and reconnect seconds after. Need a cheap reliable internet connection, go for mobitel 4g wimax connection. Just set up a cafe 4 a client. As at yesterday, downloaded date was just 500 mb after a week, at peak usage (still gat 9.5 gb data to spare 4 the rest of de remaining days).
Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by xtremeidea(m): 6:57pm On Feb 12, 2012
:p

Re: 3G Data Reliability - Glo Or MTN? by Akins02324(m): 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2012
glo is beta

Nigerians Heavily Cursed A Girl Who Reported MTN 120GB Viral Cheat / Gionee Elife E6 Specs/review / What Does It Mean "Unfortunately, Launcher3 Has Stopped"