Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,330 members, 7,846,462 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion (8825281 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 / Manchester United Fan Thread: Premier League Champions 2010/11 / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (14204) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by afrodoc(m): 12:36am On Apr 18, 2012
sigurdsson looks like a good player though....tidy passer of d ball,intelligent movement on n off d ball,good work rate n quality shooting ability
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 12:58am On Apr 18, 2012
dayokanu:
Munain is 19 and I think would be too young, if he doesnt go to madrid or barca you can still snatch him in 2yrs time when he is 21/22 and fully matured. I have seen many 19yr olds who never lived up to their reputation

he would screw us up like cesc did arsenal. spaniards can't be trusted.
there's alsoa question of adapting to this league. he's ridiculously talented though
but he carries a huge risk.

Aimar is 32, coming in new, How many years contrct would you give him? 4yrs making him 35-36 on your books?
You also know with Aimar, Its either you dont play 2 wingers or play Rooney as lone forward

aimar is been there done that. . . .
a stop-gap till fergie finds a scholesy replica. sigurdsson is the closest to scholes i have seen though.
he's got everything scholesy has got. i like the look of cabaye too.

There is no way you play

Valencia-----------------------------Young

--------------Aimar

-------Rooney--- Striker

european teams are going 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3.
guardiola probably started it, roberto martinez has used it to beat the big clubs recently
and athletico played 3 central defenders at the back with javi martinez shielding them in (3-1-3-3 formation).

united can play:

-------de gea--------
--jones--smalling--evans----
valencia--cleverley--andserson--nani
-----------aimar--------
-----rooney----hernandez
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 7:14am On Apr 18, 2012
Definitely yes to sigurdsson. Not too keen on cabaye.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 7:35am On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:
european teams are going 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3.
guardiola probably started it, roberto martinez has used it to beat the big clubs recently
and athletico played 3 central defenders at the back with javi martinez shielding them in (3-1-3-3 formation).

united can play:

-------de gea--------
-----------aimar--------
-----rooney----hernandez

This line up would get murdered in cold blood.
You are obviously trying to play it narrow and everyone knows the solution to this is simple, play it wide, make the field bigger with wide men and lets see how Nani copes tracking back

The solution to this is to get a very good right winger like Robben, Ronaldo and Dimaria and it would melt like ice in the Sahara
By the time Lahm/Robben, Alvez/Messi double on that Left side, No one would tell you to bring in Evra with instant ALACRITY

When Barca try their 3 man defence, they have either Abidal or Adriano as pseudo LB and Alves who plays a Right Midfieder can easily track back

but in your formation who would be manning the LB? Nani or Evans?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 7:40am On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

aimar is been there done that. . . .
a stop-gap till fergie finds a scholesy replica. sigurdsson is the closest to scholes i have seen though.
he's got everything scholesy has got. i like the look of cabaye too.

Aimar belongs to the dying breed of footballers, The number 10, Very few teams play a number 10 nowadays. Most would be natural 10 are either converted to support strikers or develop their defensive skills and make them deep lying midfielders.

Toni Kroos 15yrs ago would have been a 10 that would have no defensive responsibility. Now he has to play deep

Ozil 15yrs ago would never go close to the wings, Nowadays Madrid atimes play him on the flanks despite his not too great speed. If not for his ridiculous talent, He would have been benched in todays game

Imagine no country in the whole of Europe play a 10 again, even Brazil and Argentina no longer play one.

The deficiency of an Aimar like ten is that it seriously weakens your defence
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by montelik(m): 7:59am On Apr 18, 2012
Siggurdson would be a nice depth, squad signing. But we need proven quality not just depth in the center. We are falling backwards European wise and we have a lot of catching up to do, particularly in midfield. None of the other side are standing still. We need an immediate injection of quality, if we want to talk of winning in Europe, not to mention being one to powerhouses.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 10:36am On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

fergie is an idi[i]o[/i]t for not having berbatov in the team. in terms of contribution, berbatov is miles ahead of any
striker we have got. when he came on against aston villa, i was particularly interested in his stats.
he didn't disappoint me. he copped a 100% pass completion. he would have been valuable against wigan @ dw stadium
especially when scholes was missing in the midfield.

gary neville murdered this issue last night on monday night football.
his punditry on football issues is the best in the solar system
watch this clip and educate yourself.

http://www./video/xq65vw_gary-neville-tells-it-like-it-is-on-diving_sport
the way you throw insults around make it difficult to have a discussion with you.
Why do you think i am more in need of an education on any topic whatsoever than yourself? Dude, just stick to the topic and cut out the snide comments (you can exchange it with those who are interested in such).
I have long read Gary's views and as much as he is an intelligent pundit (i don't know what qualifies him to be the best in the solar system), i do not completely agree with him on this.
The issue of diving vs. 'making the most of the contact' are all a matter of semantics. Cheating is the name of the game.
I agree with Gary that diving is endemic in the game but to say that Young is entitled to fling himself to the ground because the defender stuck his leg out,just does not work for me. I guess defenders should just run out of the box as soon as strikers arrive because there will be contact and automatically penalties.That 95% of players do it does not justifies it.
Did you hear Gary answer YES to whether it is a dive?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:46am On Apr 18, 2012
dayokanu:
You are obviously trying to play it narrow and everyone knows the solution to this is simple, play it wide, make the field bigger with wide men and lets see how Nani copes tracking back

narrow? you see valencia and nani on the pitch and you think the formation is narrow? abegggi
go n dust up your tactical nous. nani/valencia track back very very well. it's one of the reasons
united have been successful in the premier league this term.

The solution to this is to get a very good right winger like Robben, Ronaldo and Dimaria and it would melt like ice in the Sahara
By the time Lahm/Robben, Alvez/Messi double on that Left side, No one would tell you to bring in Evra with instant ALACRITY

di maria won't walk past nani and i can bet valencia would destroy ronaldo or robben.

When Barca try their 3 man defence, they have either Abidal or Adriano as pseudo LB and Alves who plays a Right Midfieder can easily track back

johnny evans would cover that role. evans started his career as a left back!

dayokanu:
Aimar belongs to the dying breed of footballers, The number 10, Very few teams play a number 10 nowadays. Most would be natural 10 are either converted to support strikers or develop their defensive skills and make them deep lying midfielders.

what is ozil, sneijder, van der vaart and mata(under roberto di matteo)?

Toni Kroos 15yrs ago would have been a 10 that would have no defensive responsibility. Now he has to play deep

kroos is technically inept to be a 10. he doesn't see a pass quickly.

Ozil 15yrs ago would never go close to the wings, Nowadays Madrid atimes play him on the flanks despite his not too great speed. If not for his ridiculous talent, He would have been benched in todays game

ozil is versatile. he plays as a 10 often for real madrid when ronaldo and di maria play on the flanks.

Imagine no country in the whole of Europe play a 10 again, even Brazil and Argentina no longer play one.

90% of the teams in the world cup played a 10.
the player in the hole is number 10, mr dayokanu.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:46am On Apr 18, 2012
dayokanu:

narrow? you see valencia and nani on the pitch and you think the formation is narrow? abegggi
go n dust up your tactical nous. nani/valencia track back very very well. it's one of the reasons
united have been successful in the premier league this term.

di maria won't walk past nani and i can bet valencia would destroy ronaldo or robben.

johnny evans would cover that role. evans started his career as a left back!

dayokanu:

what is ozil, sneijder, van der vaart and mata(under roberto di matteo)?

kroos is technically inept to be a 10. he doesn't see a pass quickly.

ozil is versatile. he plays as a 10 often for real madrid when ronaldo and di maria play on the flanks.

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 10:59am On Apr 18, 2012
montelik: Siggurdson would be a nice depth, squad signing. But we need proven quality not just depth in the center. We are falling backwards European wise and we have a lot of catching up to do, particularly in midfield. None of the other side are standing still. We need an immediate injection of quality, if we want to talk of winning in Europe, not to mention being one to powerhouses.

like we should have signed cannavaro and nesta in 2006 instead of evra and vidic, right?
as we can all see, evra and vidic(2 no-mark defenders) eventually became shyte for us

mbulela:
the way you throw insults around make it difficult to have a discussion with you.
Why do you think i am more in need of an education on any topic whatsoever than yourself? Dude, just stick to the topic and cut out the snide comments (you can exchange it with those who are interested in such).
I have long read Gary's views and as much as he is an intelligent pundit (i don't know what qualifies him to be the best in the solar system), i do not completely agree with him on this.

what is it you don't agree with? that cheating shouldn't be in football?
feck me, what's with this political correctness in the game? players should not gain advantage for their teams?
how's going to the ground easily different from the players who stand in front of de gea to obstruct him from catching balls
from corner kicks?

how's going to the ground different from players who shout "our ball" when they know for sure they made the last contact
with the ball before the ball went out of touch. players claim everyball as theirs until the referee rules whose ball is it?
aren't those cheats? why didn't mata tell martin atkinson the ball hadn't crossed the line against tottenham. he wheeled away
celebrating knowing fully well it wasn't a goal likewise john terry. you think he hasn't cheated?

The issue of diving vs. 'making the most of the contact' are all a matter of semantics. Cheating is the name of the game.
I agree with Gary that diving is endemic in the game but to say that Young is entitled to fling himself to the ground because the defender stuck his leg out,just does not work for me. I guess defenders should just run out of the box as soon as strikers arrive because there will be contact and automatically penalties.That 95% of players do it does not justifies it.

yet, you still don't understand what gary was saying.
the truth is - strikers would try and gain advantage if the opportunity avails itself. it's not cheating, it's being smart.
when the players refuse to go down, the referees don't give it. danny welbeck was fouled against wigan, he was pulled back
but he didn't go to the ground. referee waved "play on"

going to the ground after a slight contact is a way of letting the referee know they have been fouled.
referees see these tackles but if the player does not go down, they don't give it. imagine valencia racing into the box
and a defender throws a tackle in his path and valencia skips over it and keep running. would the referee stop the play? no!

but if valencia decides not to jump over the tackle and he gets hit n go down, the referee would produce a card.
the issue here is very complex. how do we know who has dived and who hasn't? sometimes players even anticipate the tackle
and they jump out of the way but the defender has already withdrawn his leg and it makes the striker look like a diver.

going to ground is a grey area - damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Did you hear Gary answer YES to whether it is a dive?

he said it was a definite penalty and ashley made the most of the contact.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 11:13am On Apr 18, 2012
afrodoc: aimar doesnt play in a 2 man midfield so unless united changes to 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1 then players like him would be surplus to requirements in d squad.
still feel modric is d best suited to united's style of play.if he comes to united with d winning mentality of d club esp with SAF n d senior players his game will improve from wt we r seeing in spurs.
I also think that a Modric type player is needed. However i doubt it is Modric himself.
1. Daniel Levy has balls made of steel and would squeeze blood out of Gill.
2. The more i have seen Modric this season, the more i have wondered if he is really all that.

A player of his type but probably one that can shoot and take more initiative but slightly cheaper might do the trick.
Does such a player exist? I no know.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 11:15am On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

so where will Rooney play if Aimar plays 10?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:26am On Apr 18, 2012
mbulela:

so where will Rooney play if Aimar plays 10?

rooney plays ahead of aimar.
welbeck or chicharito stay on the bench. ready to come on
if united are chasing a goal.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 11:31am On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

rooney plays ahead of aimar.
welbeck or chicharito stay on the bench. ready to come on
if united are chasing a goal.
Don't you think Rooney plays best in the hole?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 11:32am On Apr 18, 2012
mbulela:
Don't you think Rooney plays best in the hole?

he scored 34 goals before the end of march in 09/10 season playing as a centre forward!
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 2:07pm On Apr 18, 2012
Do you also notice that Ozil Sneijer, VdV and Mata play behind one striker and not two like you stated in your line up?

1 Like

Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:26pm On Apr 18, 2012
dayokanu: Do you also notice that Ozil Sneijer, VdV and Mata play behind one striker and not two like you stated in your line up?

i do! they play 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3.
there's a man in the hole playing behind a lone striker.

in 3-4-3 system.
the man in the hole is a false 9 flanked by 2 wing forwards cos one
defender has been sacrificed at the back to compensate in the attack.

guardiola has been using this system for a year now.
napoli also used it often this season and it works for them.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 2:34pm On Apr 18, 2012
-------de gea--------
-----------aimar--------
-----rooney----hernandez

You mean Aimar would play as a false 9?
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

he scored 34 goals before the end of march in 09/10 season playing as a centre forward!
And when injury struck, our season got derailed with him.
I think from a United pespective,he is best in playing behind the striker.
I think I agree with dayokanu about Rooney/Aimar.
It's hard to see them play together and the team is effective.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:44pm On Apr 18, 2012
dayokanu:
-------de gea--------
-----------aimar--------
-----rooney----hernandez

You mean Aimar would play as a false 9?

it depends.
the 4-man midfield can either be flat or assume a diamond shape.
aimar n rooney can also drop behind hernandez(thus having 2 creative players behind the front man).
3-4-3 = 3-4-1-2 = 3-4-2-1.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 2:56pm On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

it depends.
the 4-man midfield can either be flat or assume a diamond shape.
aimar n rooney can also drop behind hernandez(thus having 2 creative players behind the front man).
3-4-3 = 3-4-1-2 = 3-4-2-1.

I am waiting and hoping for the time man Utd would implement this cos I am certain they would be humiliated

I am interested in how Nani and Evra cover the left flanks.

Valencia might be able to cover the Right side but not Nani

But there is no way Aimar would play with 2 strikers without having vulnerabilities in defence.

If you insist on playing Aimar and 2 strikers, then you have to eliminate one winger or go with one striker
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 3:01pm On Apr 18, 2012
dayokanu:

I am waiting and hoping for the time man Utd would implement this cos I am certain they would be humiliated

I am interested in how Nani and Evra cover the left flanks.

Valencia might be able to cover the Right side but not Nani

But there is no way Aimar would play with 2 strikers without having vulnerabilities in defence.

If you insist on playing Aimar and 2 strikers, then you have to eliminate one winger or go with one striker

with 3 centre backs, there would be 2 defensive midfielders shielding them.
2 wingers flanking the defensive midfielders and 3 rotating forward players
rooney is a tireless worker anyway.

aimar would chill n the moment united break n get the ball to him.
he can be trusted to play a slide-rule pass into hernandez's path.
it's so easy in the sense that most teams use a lone striker these days.

why do teams mark a lone striker with 4 defenders. it does not make sense.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by mbulela: 4:08pm On Apr 18, 2012
coogar:

with 3 centre backs, there would be 2 defensive midfielders shielding them.
2 wingers flanking the defensive midfielders and 3 rotating forward players
rooney is a tireless worker anyway.

aimar would chill n the moment united break n get the ball to him.
he can be trusted to play a slide-rule pass into hernandez's path.

it's so easy in the sense that most teams use a lone striker these days.

why do teams mark a lone striker with 4 defenders. it does not make sense.
I love the way you write atimes. You have even decided on the type of pass he will make.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 4:09pm On Apr 18, 2012
This reminds me of the days I used to play championship manager. Fergie and Guardiola had nothing on me. cool
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by olabukola: 5:07pm On Apr 18, 2012
Premier League - Paper Round: Van Persie's secret Barca meeting

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18042012/58/premier-league-paper-round-van-persie-secret-barca-meeting.html?page=v1%2Fcomments%2Fcontext%2Fb73c6923-49e4-342e-84ce-e36740751aa1%2Fcomments%3Fcount%3D20%26sortBy%3Dlatest%26exprKey%3DDescending%3Ab73c6923-49e4-342e-84ce-e36740751aa1-1334763834496-dbf29ba7-078f-4e42-9e06-b18ae5afa492%3Ab73c6923-49e4-342e-84ce-e36740751aa1-1334754594008-27a87ac1-1f1b-4fc9-9621-801caad8a3f8%26isNext%3Dtrue%26pageNumber%3D1#co
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by MrTA(m): 1:13pm On Apr 19, 2012
Well according to Forbes. We're still doing pretty well.

1. Manchester United - $2,235bn (£1.4bn)
2. Real Madrid - $1,877bn (£1.17bn)
3. Barcelona - $1,307bn(£1.07bn)
4. Arsenal - $1,292bn £800m)
5. Bayern Munich - $1,235bn(£770m)
6. AC Milan - $989m (£615m)
7. Chelsea - $761m (£473m)
8. Liverpool - $619m (£385m)
9. Juventus - $591m (£367m)
10. Schalke 04 - $587m(£365m)
11. Tottenham Hotspur -$564m (£351m)
13. Manchester City - $443m (£275m)
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 19, 2012
Mr_TA: Well according to Forbes. We're still doing pretty well.

1. Manchester United - $2,235bn (£1.4bn)
2. Real Madrid - $1,877bn (£1.17bn)
3. Barcelona - $1,307bn(£1.07bn)
4. Arsenal - $1,292bn £800m)
5. Bayern Munich - $1,235bn(£770m)
6. AC Milan - $989m (£615m)
7. Chelsea - $761m (£473m)
8. Liverpool - $619m (£385m)
9. Juventus - $591m (£367m)
10. Schalke 04 - $587m(£365m)
11. Tottenham Hotspur -$564m (£351m)
13. Manchester City - $443m (£275m)
And duduspace says our empire would be getting ready to crumble, that our financial state is unsustainable.

I wonder how much hot air can come out of one individual.
He must be filling up balloons for a living.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by coogar: 2:36pm On Apr 19, 2012
StarBoard:
And duduspace says our empire would be getting ready to crumble, that our financial state is unsustainable.

I wonder how much hot air can come out of one individual.
He must be filling up balloons for a living.

so you haven't heard? duduface is a spambot seun used to boost traffic in this section.
you really think duduface is human? come off it. no individual can be that perpetually
foolish.
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 2:40pm On Apr 19, 2012
Isnt man utd already crumbling?

Look at Mumuface's face and you can see the signs of crumble.

Its a miracle Dudu walks on the street of London without crumbling on the sidewalks

BTW where is the dudu guy sef lately
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 19, 2012
coogar:

so you haven't heard? duduface is a spambot seun used to boost traffic in this section.
you really think duduface is human? come off it. no individual can be that perpetually
foolish.

You might think so, but the clowns on that Arsenal page make you want to re-assess that opinion.
dayokanu: Isnt man utd already crumbling?

Look at Mumuface's face and you can see the signs of crumble.

Its a miracle Dudu walks on the street of London without crumbling on the sidewalks

BTW where is the dudu guy sef lately
Nairaland is better off without him/it
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by dayokanu(m): 4:57pm On Apr 19, 2012
Re: Official Manchester United Fan Thread:''20 Times EPL Champion by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 19, 2012
dayokanu: Viewing this topic: femilangy(m), StarBoard

Please what was that all about?

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (14204) (Reply)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021

Viewing this topic: MRTA7 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.