Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? (16477 Views)

Is It Really Compulsory To Go To Church On Sundays?? / Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? / Are Burial Ceremonies Bible-Based Or Pagan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by omojeesu(m): 8:58am On Aug 19, 2018
jfkenny:
It is not necessary..

Unnecessary. Wasteful.

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 8:58am On Aug 19, 2018
I'm against Keeping the remains in the Mortuary and throwing frivolous parties and but if you have the money to buy your loved ones an expensive casket, do it. Keep it simple.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by ugwuishi(m): 9:00am On Aug 19, 2018
it makes d economy grow
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by echelons(m): 9:02am On Aug 19, 2018
I've not recovered from the recent expense incurred in the burial ceremony of my mum.

Thank God for friends and clients that have been supporting me gradually.

The pressure is just much especially if you're from a well known family.

Feeding alone was costing almost 1M for our modest burial.

God knows that I'll do my best to make sure Daddy lives the best of life while alive but I'll never put myself into that kinda pressure for his burial.

God bless us all.

Ceteris paribus.

2 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Coolgent(m): 9:06am On Aug 19, 2018
id4sho:
which Moslems, when SHIA and SUNNI Moslems keep corpse for days in mosques for days just to get media attention over there cause.

Does mosques has mortuary?
Muslims do bury their loved ones withing hours/day without any form of extravagance.
According to ethics of Islam; the family of the deceased may not even cook anything, their immediate relatives will cook for them for 3days in order to show their kindness and love.
In a case where no family member nor neighbour has the reaources then the family can cook for themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Akuneshiobike(m): 9:13am On Aug 19, 2018
WahalaDeyHere:

I heard from a reliable source that ghosts are placed in hierarchies in the other world based on how grande their burial was.... so yes it is. To avoid your loved one ending up an errand boy in the other realm.

Check out my Instagram @WahalaDeyHere

babe, nothing much dey happen for ur Instagram account...even much pictures, u no upload
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by dododawa1: 9:14am On Aug 19, 2018
My boss been a CHRISTIAN told his CHILDREN to buried him according to MUSLIM way.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Dasherz(f): 9:16am On Aug 19, 2018
CanineOfJackal:
Which state buries that way? 20million for burial
Come to Always Ibom ... Burial and traditional marriages are really on the high side here

For burials, the house is opened on a Sunday and celebrations last for a week to the burial day... Drinks and food even small chops are served during these days... Pending the mega burial then after the burial.. mourning stats for a week and before the mourning house is closed, food and drinks are served too
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by seeyou: 9:17am On Aug 19, 2018
Some cultures force people against their wish.I became a victim when I spent millions of naira in burying my mother and father in 2016 and 2017 respectively. When I had my twins(girl & boy-cos that's how they came out)my elderly siblings were quick to say that my parents have come back to me because of my spending on them and on their burials but I rebuked them and nearly sent them out of my house cos I don't believe in those myths.

3 Likes

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by rickyboss333: 9:26am On Aug 19, 2018
ayodele123:
I attended a burial ceremony recently and was amazed at the manner money was wasted on a lifeless corpse going to rot away under the ground!. The coffin alone cost N150k.The grave was adorned with tiles but the dead man's residence had no tiles when he was alive.His children even painted their father's house after his death few days to the burial! The house was not painted when he was alive.

The corpse was lifted in a limousine he did not ride in when he was alive though he had a car anyway,  Four cows were slaughtered to entertain guests. And many other money sucking and guzzling events on display that day.The dead man was kept in the mortuary for about 4 months before his burial while the children were mobilizing resources for a display. The burial cost N3m and that is a very modest sum compared to others elsewhere.

My question is this: Why do people delay burials for one to six months in these parts especially among the Christian community and Southern Nigerians? What is the basis for costly burial ceremonies for a lifeless  body that will rot away under the ground in a matter of days and weeks? Immediately a man dies, his spirit departs the body and returns to God while the soul faces judgement (Hebrews 9:27). The body goes to dust.

Now if the dead man goes to hell, what is the point conducting an expensive burial for his lifeless body here on earth while the soul is burning away in Hell? Even if he goes to heaven, what is the basis for such waste of resources for a body that is going nowhere, that will rot away?

Is it really necessary to conduct burials this way? Why cant a corpse be buried within 7 days without the noisy oestantatious display of wealth by the relations? Is there any religious backing for this rubbish? Though i am a xtian by faith, I love the muslim way of burial within 24 hours in very simple fashion.

A corpse should just be buried in a quiet, simple manner even if he was a billionaire while alive. Afterall in the grave, all are equal there.

you know when i think about things like this an some others i so want to wish to be muslim
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by ceejay80s(m): 9:26am On Aug 19, 2018
Nigerians especially no get sense,
I wonder if that money wasted will bring him back to life, Aboki burial is the best
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by iukpe: 9:38am On Aug 19, 2018
CanineOfJackal:
Which state buries that way? 20million for burial

I guess you are just as stunned as myself but its true. people actually spend more than that.
Mortuary services.
undertakers.
Cultural displays of various kinds.
Musicians and entertainers of various kinds.
Keeping the burial house for over a week (food water and drinks, power equipment and diesel)
Logistics
Hotel accommodation.
transportation for visitors, communities and special guests.
Invitation, publicity and program. (magazine style burial program copies alone can cost a few millions up to 3.5 million or more)
Funeral decorations and rentals.
Caterers costs
Bouncers
Traditional rites
Family house renovation or New building.

All these and more are executable projects within some Nigerian burials.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Born2Breed(f): 9:43am On Aug 19, 2018
Reminds one of die wretched,buried like a millionaire.

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by redangel2017: 9:45am On Aug 19, 2018
ayodele123:
I attended a burial ceremony recently and was amazed at the manner money was wasted on a lifeless corpse going to rot away under the ground!. The coffin alone cost N150k.The grave was adorned with tiles but the dead man's residence had no tiles when he was alive.His children even painted their father's house after his death few days to the burial! The house was not painted when he was alive.

The corpse was lifted in a limousine he did not ride in when he was alive though he had a car anyway,  Four cows were slaughtered to entertain guests. And many other money sucking and guzzling events on display that day.The dead man was kept in the mortuary for about 4 months before his burial while the children were mobilizing resources for a display. The burial cost N3m and that is a very modest sum compared to others elsewhere.

My question is this: Why do people delay burials for one to six months in these parts especially among the Christian community and Southern Nigerians? What is the basis for costly burial ceremonies for a lifeless  body that will rot away under the ground in a matter of days and weeks? Immediately a man dies, his spirit departs the body and returns to God while the soul faces judgement (Hebrews 9:27). The body goes to dust.

Now if the dead man goes to hell, what is the point conducting an expensive burial for his lifeless body here on earth while the soul is burning away in Hell? Even if he goes to heaven, what is the basis for such waste of resources for a body that is going nowhere, that will rot away?

Is it really necessary to conduct burials this way? Why cant a corpse be buried within 7 days without the noisy oestantatious display of wealth by the relations? Is there any religious backing for this rubbish? Though i am a xtian by faith, I love the muslim way of burial within 24 hours in very simple fashion.

A corpse should just be buried in a quiet, simple manner even if he was a billionaire while alive. Afterall in the grave, all are equal there.
my brother... I weak.. In foreign lands very simple.. But here every thing is a big ceremony..anything we learn.. We have a habit of overhyping it.. But simple football we er still learning how to play.. Nonsenses.. Na nonsense.nonsense we go dey learn very fast ... Spits

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by AreaFada2: 9:49am On Aug 19, 2018
Misplaced priority. Simple. I know a poor lady who in her life time never enjoyed any luxury whatsoever. But she was a very nice modest woman. She lived very long. Outliving her two eldest children. They slaughtered four cows when she died, not to mention food, drinks, dance bands and other expenses.

Totally irresponsible in my view.

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by udemzyudex(m): 10:06am On Aug 19, 2018
WahalaDeyHere:

I heard from a reliable source that ghosts are placed in hierarchies in the other world based on how grande their burial was.... so yes it is. To avoid your loved one ending up an errand boy in the other realm.

Check out my Instagram @WahalaDeyHere

WTF grin grin cheesy
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by udemzyudex(m): 10:08am On Aug 19, 2018
Shehucom:
Ain't Nothing like a Muslim burial... no unnecessary expenses

What about the ones dey do after 30 days or 41 days?
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by macino1(m): 10:12am On Aug 19, 2018
I keep wondering the rational behind the wastage and senseless celebration. I have always respect the Muslim doctrine in this regard.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by rumenase(m): 10:12am On Aug 19, 2018
post=70410901:
Quote. The coffin alone cost N150k Unquote.
Really? You haven't seen one of 7 Million naira? We saw that sometimes ago at one of our barbecue parry. We can only marvel at the sight!

that was 2012 bro when naira get small value now e no get again
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by longview007: 10:12am On Aug 19, 2018
I'm here to read who will recommend it as necessary.

Good morning my country ppl and happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by rumenase(m): 10:23am On Aug 19, 2018
pilarnig:
I love the Muslim way of burial... You the child of the dead will not even cook. It is your relatives and well wishers that will cook for you. But my Yoruba people, the reverse is the case

lol
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by rumenase(m): 10:24am On Aug 19, 2018
2012 post making FP in 2018
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by kgr8mike(m): 10:27am On Aug 19, 2018
No
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by iukpe: 10:49am On Aug 19, 2018
rumenase:
2012 post making FP in 2018

He had no reason to post it then. Now things have "fivepled"--gone into exponential values. All spending matter na matter now.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by id4sho(m): 11:26am On Aug 19, 2018
Coolgent:

Does mosques has mortuary?
Muslims do bury their loved ones withing hours/day without any form of extravagance.
According to ethics of Islam; the family of the deceased may not even cook anything, their immediate relatives will cook for them for 3days in order to show their kindness and love.
In a case where no family member nor neighbour has the reaources then the family can cook for themselves.
Start following Middle East matters, keep dead bodies as a sign of protest
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 19, 2018
Nigerians & hypocrisy and like 5 & 6. Now that everyone is condemning it, who are then the people wasting resources on such frivolity?
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by egopersonified(f): 11:48am On Aug 19, 2018
This was how banky w criticized big weddings and then went ahead to have one. When someone called him out on twitter about it, he started defending it.

Do you guys know that weddings and burials are big industries generating income for so many families?

Do you know that how much people would make from cakes, canopies, chairs, event halls, decorations, clothes, hair, makeup, food, etc?

This is another form of redistribution of wealth.

That said, if you dey Benin, I dey sell chicken.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by MrGerald(m): 12:07pm On Aug 19, 2018
ayodele123:

Op wetin concern you?

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by barack32(m): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2018
Nice thread
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by raustin560(m): 12:17pm On Aug 19, 2018
[quote author=UbanmeUdie post=70410918] shocked

Ask the Binis, they know better!

[/quote

u r not sure of what you are saying.that Benin people do their burial at nyt does not mean they don't waste money for burials.
Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by Damseldammie(f): 12:41pm On Aug 19, 2018
post=70410901:
Quote.
The coffin alone cost N150k
Unquote.

Really?
You haven't seen one of 7 Million naira?
We saw that sometimes ago at one of our barbecue parry.
We can only marvel at the sight!
Casket worth of 150k ? More reason I didn't want to comment because there some whorth Billions of naira, I mean casket made of pure gold

1 Like

Re: Costly Burial Ceremonies : Is It Really Necessary? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:42pm On Aug 19, 2018
Damseldammie:

Casket worth of 150k ? More reason I didn't want to comment because there some whorth Billions of naira, I mean casket made of pure gold
You are so right, we were surprised to see 150K also!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibeno Community, Upenekang Host Exciting Boat Regatta Festival (Pictures) / Nairaland Party! / 5 Life-changing Things To Do This September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.