Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,626 members, 7,844,031 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. (6257 Views)

With Jimmy Agbaje... Where Lie D Fate Of Lagos. Do U Think Pdp Will Win Lagos. / Beaf : Jonathan ebele azikiwe Goodluck Root Is Igbo, And Not Ijaw / Breaking News: Beaf- Jonathan's Nairaland Campaign Chief Caught Pants Down! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Dainfamous: 7:02am On Feb 19, 2012
Beaf:

The leaders we have in Nigeria today would send assassins to finish the fool. How dare he block funds for inflated submarine contracts, kickbacks and "kick-fronts?"
Pastors would also have been in competition to clear the seven demons out of the mans eyes, because his own family would have labelled him a "winsh."

That is the depth of the struggle we have in this country. It is one of enlightenment and emancipation from mental slavery.
We perpetrate the very tools that false leaders use to keep us down.
very sad we have a long way to go really,we don't think ahead sad sad
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by GAR3TH(m): 7:03am On Feb 19, 2012
Beaf:

Makoko has been existing since the 18th century, much longer than several parts of Lagos. Those who choose to ignore it are doing so because it is the lazy and unimaginative way out. Its easy to just imagine they do not exist, they weren't even counted in the last census (its that bad).

Ijora Badiah and several other places are as bad or even worse than Makoko. There is no justification on Earth for neglect; the only way we can develop is to show caring for our communities and to love one another. Wickedness is driving us underground.

Makoko existed but it was a small fishing village, you cant compare makoko of 18th or 19th century to the one today. Second like I said, makoko of today was built by the private sector illegally, and was neglected by the same private sector not the government. Its not a case of wickedness but rather a case of responsibility and order. The government is not responsible for makoko, as a matter of fact makoko shouldn't even be around. I'm caring and I always donate and voluntary to help the needy but in order to maintain order and efficiency in a society, you have to follow town planning and zoning laws and regulations. 

for example Victoria garden city is a Legal private estate development and It provides its own security, drainage, roads etc. Just like makoko it was built by the private sector and is maintained by the private sector like makoko should be. If government did not build it why should government maintain it? its not their property. But all that is invalid because makoko is and illegal settlement.

Dont get me wrong I understand what your saying and i understand why your saying it but your approach to solving the problem is not the best way.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 7:26am On Feb 19, 2012
GAR3TH:

Makoko existed but it was a small fishing village with a harbor, you cant compare makoko of 18th or 19th century to the one today. Second like I said, makoko was built by the private sector illegally, and was neglected by the same private sector not the government. Its not a case of wickedness but rather a case of responsibility and order. The government is not responsible for makoko, as a matter of fact makoko shouldn't even be around. I'm caring and I always donate and voluntary to help the needy but in order to maintain order and efficiency in a society, you have to follow town planning and zoning laws and regulations. 

Firstly, I wasn't directing the accusation of wickedness at, so please don't feel so. The deeds you mentioned are appreciated.

The accusation of wickedness is against those at the helms of affairs. There is no reason on Earth for people to be abandoned to such a feral existence that in effect, they are not Lagosians, talkless of being Nigerians. They weren't even seen as deserving to be counted as Lagosians during the census. Thats just crazy!
That is neglect so severe that they can be classed as stateless individuals (not citizens of any country).

Security in Makoko is provided by area boys, but I guess that if a "real" citizen of Lagos or Nigeria is assaulted in Makoko, the culprit will find that Lagos state would actually feel itself responsible for jailing them. There will be nobody from the Makoko embassy to represent them as foreigners, because none exists.

It is a deep irony that a state can provide jail places for citizens, but neglect them to the extent of not counting them during the census. Its just mind boggling.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by GAR3TH(m): 7:34am On Feb 19, 2012
Beaf:

Firstly, I wasn't directing the accusation of wickedness at, so please don't feel so. The deeds you mentioned are appreciated.

The accusation of wickedness is against those at the helms of affairs. There is no reason on Earth for people to be abandoned to such a feral existence that in effect, they are not Lagosians, talkless of being Nigerians. They weren't even seen as deserving to be counted as Lagosians during the census. Thats just crazy!
That is neglect so severe that they can be classed as stateless individuals (not citizens of any country).

Security in Makoko is provided by area boys, but I guess that if a "real" citizen of Lagos or Nigeria is assaulted in Makoko, the culprit will find that Lagos state would actually feel itself responsible for jailing them. There will be nobody from the Makoko embassy to represent them as foreigners, because none exists.

It is a deep irony that a state can provide jail places for citizens, but neglect them to the extent of not counting them during the census. Its just mind boggling.

Beaf Like I said, Makoko does not exist in zoning maps, districts maps or town planning maps because ITS SHOULDN'T BE THERE. Its and Illegal development hence why it does not get funding nor is it represented. Its was built illegally by the private sector and was not maintain by the private sector. Try building the same makoko in New York and see if it wont get demolished by the NYC's government for not following zoning laws or tax property lots.

I get what your saying and i under stand your point, but your blaming the wrong people and your way of solving the issue is counter productive.
Re: Beaf Help Me Out, Which Area In Lagos Do They Call Makoko. by Beaf: 10:49pm On Feb 19, 2012
^
Makoko has been existing since the 18th century, well before Eti-Osa LGA or Lagos state itself; so the scenario of it being some sort of wild development does not arise. Since it existed long before the sate, how come it has been removed from "zoning maps, districts maps or town planning maps?" How come the govt is too ashamed to count them as citizens?

Makoko started out as an Ilaje fishing village, long before Nigeria was even conceived of. The only reason it has been abandoned is because it is seen as an inconvenience. It is the depth of wickedness indeed.

If only you would visit such places, you will feel things you have never felt before. I stumbled into Ijora Badia mistakenly some years ago, and I can still picture my girlfriend looking so puzzled that I got home crying (I'm a "hard" guy grin).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Gen. Buhari A Fulani? / Lagos, Expect More Igbo Businesses Soon. / Hahahahahaha Tinubu Disgraced By Italian. (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.