Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,277 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? (2880 Views)

Guys, Would You Allow Your Sister's Husband Beat Her In your presence? / Fell@tio and cunnil!ngu.s-a Taboo In African Marriages. Where Do We Start? / Given A 2nd Chance, Would You Still Marry Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Lucario007(m): 9:45pm On Feb 23, 2012
Hold up, i know that the first thing that will come to mind will be incest, but i've already looked that up.
I'm speaking about the Igbos/Yorubas is it considered ill fitting to marry your sister in-law.
It's Legally allowed in other countries - you can find tons of movies where twins marry twins-
*see the chart below* but what of in Nigeria?

Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by moremi2008(m): 12:13am On Feb 24, 2012
Jesus! Na so woman scarce reach for Lagos? While biology might permit marrying a sister-in-law, practical concerns forbids it! Besides, aren't the two families now symbolically one?
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Lucario007(m): 1:56pm On Feb 24, 2012
er no, undecided
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Feb 24, 2012
@ Topic: No, it's not taboo.
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by ikechukz(m): 5:18pm On Feb 24, 2012
neva heard of dis b4.certainly not a taboo in my town.
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by moremi2008(m): 5:35pm On Feb 24, 2012
So all you men can marry your sister-in-law? Chei!!!! That's just awkward!
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Lucario007(m): 11:40pm On Feb 24, 2012
@ moremi2008 No you pervert. Not your wife's sister, but your brother's wife's sister!
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Fhemmmy: 1:28am On Feb 25, 2012
Lol . . .
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Lucario007(m): 2:36am On Feb 25, 2012
what's so funny?
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Ivynwa(f): 2:59am On Feb 25, 2012
Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaa
Looks like somebody was eyeing his brother's wife's sister all along now he has told us about it. tongue tongue grin

I don't think that it is an abomination, I have heard of families that return to their wife's family to marry another person from there because of the good behaviour of such families. A cousin of mine lost her husband and her husband's family cherishes her so much that her husband's brother married her. It wasn't a case of marrying her to inherit their brother's wealth, they are happily married now and had a baby recently. It used to be told as things that happened in the past but it happened to a cousin of mine not up to five years ago.
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 25, 2012
Re: In Nigeria, Is It A Taboo To Marry Your Sister-in-law? by RoyalRoy(m): 5:58am On Feb 25, 2012
In the parts of Yoruba land where its considered a taboo,their assumptions come from the health angle(or spiritual health) that any bad hereditory factors from that family should not be transferred to two members of the same family. So it was forbidden.

(1) (Reply)

My Dad Asked Me To Leave Because I Want To Be Successful / Am I Being Used? / Polygamy Vs. Polyamory Vs. Polygyny Vs. Polyandry Vs. Bigamy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.