Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1052) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4445009 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) (1053) (1054) (1055) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Rodddy(m): 9:28am On Jan 16, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

The bank and EFCC
Okay thanks for your info
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by johneddy: 10:01am On Jan 16, 2020
Hoping to invest some day.

Shoptomydoor Imports, Exports From USA, UK and Nigeria – Ocean Shipping, Air Shipping for Both Business and Individual to Make Profit

Shop, ship and relax with Shoptomydoor. We give cheapest import/export solution for your business/personal needs

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 10:39am On Jan 16, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by jobark: 11:46am On Jan 16, 2020
Just when I thought Access Bank’s 6% interest rate was the best zero - risk alternative to tbills, their rates have now been reviewed downward.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by EkperemoEgbabi: 11:55am On Jan 16, 2020
jobark:
Just when I thought Access Bank’s 6% interest rate was the best zero - risk alternative to tbills, their rates have now been reviewed downward.

NEXT LEVUL THINGZ cool tongue grin.
SHEBI DEM WARN UNA?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by TotoNaRubber: 12:39pm On Jan 16, 2020
The new bond they mentioned at 12 percent could be based on coupon payment, by the time you take into account all factors in bond, the actual interest rate hovers 9 to 10 percent except for primary market purchase i believe. Now that rates have dropped, investors are moving funds around looking for better alternatives, imagine yourself and friends who were enticed with TBills rate, there is a chain reaction of money movement for better alternatives. As you mentioned, it is good kill for the FGN to offer low interest rates but can they sustain the funds required to service maturing TBills debt at this rate over the next year? That is what we will look out for.

kryptem:

I also read about the new bond rate of 12%+. Could that be for real or it's at premium?
On the the other hand, if the FGN have been able to be faithful with rate @ around 10-13% over the years, it is even easier for them now that the rates are halved. If the appetite for their present low rates drops, they possibly will raise it to encourage the desired subscription. Also, the investment of the funds over the years could generate sizable returns that could go a long way in subsequent repayments. So, defaulting is almost not in foresight unless the country is in a state of dissolution.
For the present low rate, the fed is actually making a kill; a very favourable moment for the FG.

Certainly fund managers have a bird's eye view when it come to investment, with the current Tbills rate, it won't be long before better alternatives take over. Hopefully Tbills patronage won't fall like fixed deposit investments.
emmanuelewumi:

People buying are not you and I, they are fund managers they are more concerned about the stability of their funds. They have funds in Treasury Bills, fixed deposit, bonds, real estate, stocks etc.

It is better to put funds that will be used to pay retirees in the next 4 months in Treasury Bills or fixed deposit.

By the second quarter of the year, they would have gotten an idea of the direction of the economy

They have channelled substantial amount of funds into the stock market in the last couple of weeks.

Hahaha you are right, Nigerian govt with it's usual voodoo economics, these investment portfolios are supposed to be invested in profitable Infrastructure development that will contribute to the economy but terribly the funds are used to build roads = Sukuk bond while the contractors embezzle the rest (It is not that bad to build good roads but then no repayment strategy other than keep rolling over the debt and increasing debt), the new bonds beings offered could be used for something similar or the gov't will just tag it any name they like provided it boosts investors confidence.
kunleweb:

I choose to stick with both sides of the divide but lean more towards TotoNaRubber comment. Oversubscription has always lead to abuse of resources, unless there's an abundance of mega projects which there are, but then the readiness to receive them. We discussed on these issues at length last year when we we're yapping about the dropping tbills rates. It doesn't makes complete sense to me if tbill rates are killed, but then we need more funds and head for more funds though, with crazily low returns. The government needs to be resolute about what it wants and channel incentives towards its objectives. In the current dilly dallying between the need for funds, lowering rates, seeking mega loans and trying to boost the economy, there's a clear lack of well defined structure and pathway towards any blueprint that's if any exists.

This is pure voodoo economics bro, kick and follow. Anywhere belle face

I was analyzing both sides of the coin, yes the government will find it easier to repay investors but overtime the number of investors will decline, Tbills have a cycle of 364 days so maybe the low rate may be sustainable if the demand for TBills at this present low rate continue, but if it declines sharply before the end the current 364 days cycle then investors with maturity TBills in this cycle will be affected. It is likely this may be sustainable due to the lifecycle of Tbills only last for 364 days, if it were bonds with longer term of 5, 10 to 30 years with sharp decrease in rates, we will all go into panic mode instantly.
Some bonds pay 14 percent coupon depending on where you buy.
ojesymsym:
Which storm?
I struggle to follow your logic here. Will government not find it easier to pay this lower rate compared to the 15% previous rates?
That people are still over subscribing suggest that people have not yet found a reliable alternative.
Also, I don't think bond will still be as high as 12%, government have seen that they can get low interest loans, they will pursue it to the end. I expect bonds to play around 8 to 9% for now, could be wrong though.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by iamoyindamola(m): 1:44pm On Jan 16, 2020
Hello everyone....
plz have anyone heard about Sterling Asset management and trustee
Their Management of special funds and Asset management....Plz I want to know if it's a well secured investment cos dey are offering me a good rate of 10-12% ROI .

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 2:38pm On Jan 16, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

What are friends for? Your friend saved you from stress and also saved your time. Paying a premium of N2million is not too much, for the sake of your friendship.
I am sure while your friend assisted you with the building of your house, the project provided a source of income to your friend and his family.

True
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 16, 2020
Any body heard of Union bank commercial paper. 5% and 6%. Can I go ahead and invest through afrinvest
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by mymadam(m): 4:50pm On Jan 16, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

The bank and EFCC

As simple & obvious as ABC shocked
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by docus: 6:53pm On Jan 16, 2020
Bear bias

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by docus: 6:55pm On Jan 16, 2020
docus:
Bear bias

Sorry guys not for this thread
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IamR: 6:57pm On Jan 16, 2020
Who knows the current FBNQUEST MMF interest rate?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 9:39pm On Jan 16, 2020
Good evening everyone...

I made a 3M TBills investment last year January 16th and I was hoping to get back the matured funds last week.
To my surprise, my account was credited with 130k and I was wondering why it happened that way.

If, maybe by mistake, I ticked the roll-over option while making the investment, will a new rate be used to calculate the interest or the same rate as the initial investment?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 9:54pm On Jan 16, 2020
pxjosh:
Good evening everyone...

I made a 3M TBills investment last year January 16th and I was hoping to get back the matured funds last week.
To my surprise, my account was credited with 130k and I was wondering why it happened that way.

If, maybe by mistake, I ticked the roll-over option while making the investment, will a new rate be used to calculate the interest or the same rate as the initial investment?
Yes new rate which is the current "very lean" rate would be used. Around 4.5% was used for you. sad
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by pxjosh(m): 9:59pm On Jan 16, 2020
OgogoroFreak:
Yes new rate which is the current "very lean" rate would be used. Around 4.5% was used for you. sad
Chai!

Would it be wise to terminate the investment at this early stage? I planned to put the cash in ARM MMF but I"m guessing that I will loose more than the interest if I terminate it now.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by needful: 5:15am On Jan 17, 2020
For those interested in FG Bond.

Check the attached file below
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 5:33am On Jan 17, 2020
Please reattach
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by damilola1978: 5:33am On Jan 17, 2020
needful:
For those interested in FG Bond.

Check the attached file below

Please reattach
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Hallenjay: 8:18am On Jan 17, 2020
OgogoroFreak:
Pls ooo. As tins don b like ds.
I need advice
I bin invest small money for tbill which will mature very soon.
I tot d rate will still b gud but reverse is d case and it's my first time.
Now I've two plan for d small change.
I av a 6bed room flat dat I roofed since 2017 and done with d soakaway.I've since left d project bcs of ds investment(i don't earn dt much).
Now am.considering finishing a two bedroom flat out of d 6 may b I can see who will rent it or go into mmf with d small change.
Though wit my calculation the small change fit furnish 2 bedroom but it'll remain small tins like paint or so.at least it ll take it to a taste where rental around dat place can find it worthy.
The second plan is that am thinking I shd send d money into mmf and manage a 10 or 9% interest rate.
This decision is giving me BP because I don't want to mk mistake.
Abeg anybody dat av insight on ds tins should contribute to ds post.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by dipoolowoo: 9:40am On Jan 17, 2020
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by DigitalMallam: 9:43am On Jan 17, 2020
Hallenjay:
I need advice
I av a 6bed room flat dat I roofed since 2017 and done with d soakaway.I've since left d project bcs of ds investment(i don't earn dt much).
Now am.considering finishing a two bedroom flat out of d 6 may b I can see who will rent it or go into mmf with d small change.
Though wit my calculation the small change fit furnish 2 bedroom but it'll remain small tins like paint or so.at least it ll take it to a taste where rental around dat place can find it worthy.
The second plan is that am thinking I shd send d money into mmf and manage a 10 or 9% interest rate.

You'll have to reconfirm the rate of return for the mmf o, mine with stanbic that was about 9% mid Dec. Has nosedive to a paltry 4% as at this morning. I really don't understand this 'kain' economy any longer, even in Somalia a country without a functional govt. things ain't this bad

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by IamR: 10:02am On Jan 17, 2020
DigitalMallam:

You'll have to reconfirm the rate of return for the mmf o, mine with stanbic that was about 9% mid Dec. Has nosedive to a paltry 4% as at this morning. I really don't understand this 'kain' economy any longer, even in Somalia a country without a functional govt. things ain't this bad
Nawa o, 4%!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by faoogoke(m): 10:06am On Jan 17, 2020
DigitalMallam:

Its a normal circle.

I am least worried. The same rates that are going down wont stay down for long.

The rates will rise. When? I can't say but I can say one thing.

Patience is a virtue!

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ibechris(m): 10:52am On Jan 17, 2020
*Monkey Business*
�����

A lot of monkeys lived near a village.

One day a merchant came to the village to buy the monkeys.

He announced that he would buy the monkeys for £100 each.

The villagers thought he was mad.

They thought how can somebody buy stray monkeys for £100 each?

Still, some people caught a few monkeys and gave them to the merchant and he gave them £100 for each monkey.

This news spread like wildfire and more people caught more monkeys to sell to the merchant.

After a few days, the merchant announced that he would buy monkeys for £200 each.

Even the lazy villagers now ran around to catch the remaining monkeys and sold them for £200 each.

Then the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys for £500 each.

The villagers started to lose sleep! They caught six or seven monkeys, which was all that was left, and got £500 for each one.

The villagers were waiting anxiously for the next announcement.

Then the merchant said he was going home for a week and when he returned he would buy monkeys for £1,000 each.

He asked his employee to take care of the monkeys he bought.

The merchant went home and the villagers were very sad as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell at £1,000 each.

Then the employee told them he will secretly sell them monkeys for £700 each.

This news spread like wildfire. Since the merchant will buy monkeys for £1,000 each, there is a £300 profit for each monkey.

The next day the villagers made a queue near the monkey cage.

The employee sold all the monkeys for £700 each. The rich bought monkeys in big lots. The poor borrowed money from money lenders and also bought monkeys.

The villagers took care of the monkeys and waited for the merchant to return.

But nobody came.

They ran to the employee.

But he had already left too.

The villagers then realised that they had bought the useless stray monkeys for £700 each and were unable to sell them.

*Beware of Monkey Businesses*

*Real Businesses are always based on Real Products and Services*

No more monkeys business this year....

Some are coming in the form of network marketing, Ponzi scheme etc... beware!

Nice and sweet promises are calculated for u which look wonderful on paper but a mirage in reality.

This is 2020; invest wisely, so you won't end the year in regrets

Once Again; Beware of Monkey Business ������ �!! �����

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by OgogoroFreak(m): 11:05am On Jan 17, 2020
Hallenjay:
I need advice
It would be more profitable to complete your house this period because, even the MMF interest has been "slim fitted" too. These things are all tied to tbills

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 2:22pm On Jan 17, 2020
I have read this story before. It also reminds me of another novel I read way back where some guys used bank money in their possession to create artificial scarcity for a particular stock only to dump all of them on bulls at the last minute. They then returned the bank money and shared the profit.
Suddenly many investment houses and ideas with mouth watering are showing up, many of which will lead to deep regrets in a few months from now.
ibechris:
*Monkey Business*
�����

A lot of monkeys lived near a village.

One day a merchant came to the village to buy the monkeys.

He announced that he would buy the monkeys for £100 each.

The villagers thought he was mad.

They thought how can somebody buy stray monkeys for £100 each?

Still, some people caught a few monkeys and gave them to the merchant and he gave them £100 for each monkey.

This news spread like wildfire and more people caught more monkeys to sell to the merchant.

After a few days, the merchant announced that he would buy monkeys for £200 each.

Even the lazy villagers now ran around to catch the remaining monkeys and sold them for £200 each.

Then the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys for £500 each.

The villagers started to lose sleep! They caught six or seven monkeys, which was all that was left, and got £500 for each one.

The villagers were waiting anxiously for the next announcement.

Then the merchant said he was going home for a week and when he returned he would buy monkeys for £1,000 each.

He asked his employee to take care of the monkeys he bought.

The merchant went home and the villagers were very sad as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell at £1,000 each.

Then the employee told them he will secretly sell them monkeys for £700 each.

This news spread like wildfire. Since the merchant will buy monkeys for £1,000 each, there is a £300 profit for each monkey.

The next day the villagers made a queue near the monkey cage.

The employee sold all the monkeys for £700 each. The rich bought monkeys in big lots. The poor borrowed money from money lenders and also bought monkeys.

The villagers took care of the monkeys and waited for the merchant to return.

But nobody came.

They ran to the employee.

But he had already left too.

The villagers then realised that they had bought the useless stray monkeys for £700 each and were unable to sell them.

*Beware of Monkey Businesses*

*Real Businesses are always based on Real Products and Services*

No more monkeys business this year....

Some are coming in the form of network marketing, Ponzi scheme etc... beware!

Nice and sweet promises are calculated for u which look wonderful on paper but a mirage in reality.

This is 2020; invest wisely, so you won't end the year in regrets

Once Again; Beware of Monkey Business ������ �!! �����

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by kunleweb: 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2020
TotoNaRubber:
The new bond they mentioned at 12 percent could be based on coupon payment, by the time you take into account all factors in bond, the actual interest rate hovers 9 to 10 percent except for primary market purchase i believe. Now that rates have dropped, investors are moving funds around looking for better alternatives, imagine yourself and friends who were enticed with TBills rate, there is a chain reaction of money movement for better alternatives. As you mentioned, it is good kill for the FGN to offer low interest rates but can they sustain the funds required to service maturing TBills debt at this rate over the next year? That is what we will look out for.

Certainly fund managers have a bird's eye view when it come to investment, with the current Tbills rate, it won't be long before better alternatives take over. Hopefully Tbills patronage won't fall like fixed deposit investments.

Hahaha you are right, Nigerian govt with it's usual voodoo economics, these investment portfolios are supposed to be invested in profitable Infrastructure development that will contribute to the economy but terribly the funds are used to build roads = Sukuk bond while the contractors embezzle the rest (It is not that bad to build good roads but then no repayment strategy other than keep rolling over the debt and increasing debt), the new bonds beings offered could be used for something similar or the gov't will just tag it any name they like provided it boosts investors confidence.

I was analyzing both sides of the coin, yes the government will find it easier to repay investors but overtime the number of investors will decline, Tbills have a cycle of 364 days so maybe the low rate may be sustainable if the demand for TBills at this present low rate continue, but if it declines sharply before the end the current 364 days cycle then investors with maturity TBills in this cycle will be affected. It is likely this may be sustainable due to the lifecycle of Tbills only last for 364 days, if it were bonds with longer term of 5, 10 to 30 years with sharp decrease in rates, we will all go into panic mode instantly.
Some bonds pay 14 percent coupon depending on where you buy.

You've spoken well elder. If both sides of the divide is being considered for broader term view, then the government would needs funds in and out of low rates cycles, hence staying on the sideline is the best option for investors.. Rather than seeking out alternative investments or investing at very low yields. However, has any man ever overcome that itchyness, the need to spend even when unnecessary undecided

My brother with Brexit and the Gulf region crisis still in play, these events creates excellent opportunity for smarter offshore investments to me o. I just don't know why I feel like lending ten billion pounds from the CBN and selling the pounds in the FX market for one year tenor and watch how the interplay of Britain's exit from the EU diminishes the value of its currency and cash in on this move than have myself indulge in voodoonomics. wink Abi I lie Fxmanager Docus Shibaraba
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by folushorex(f): 3:40pm On Jan 17, 2020
iamoyindamola:
Hello everyone....
Their Management of special funds and Asset management....Plz I want to know if it's a well secured investment cos dey are offering me a good rate of 10-12% ROI .

Yes, I HV, well secured and am satisfied, you can call this no, if u need more info, 08023654347
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by folushorex(f): 3:41pm On Jan 17, 2020
iamoyindamola:
Hello everyone....

Yes, I HV, well secured and am satisfied, you can call this no, if u need more info, 08023654347[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by folushorex(f): 3:47pm On Jan 17, 2020
EkperemoEgbabi:

NEXT LEVUL THINGZ cool tongue grin.
SHEBI DEM WARN UNA?

Try Sterling Asset Mgt& Trustees Ltd. They offer better rates, you won't be dissapointed. You can call this for more info 08023654347

(1) (2) (3) ... (1049) (1050) (1051) (1052) (1053) (1054) (1055) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: Hedgefunds, KpagoGIN(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.