Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,021 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Treasury Bills In Nigeria - Investment (1185) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bills In Nigeria (4439657 Views)

Fixed Deposits Or Treasury Bills, Which Is Better? / Fixed Deposit And Treasury Bill Investments From Abroad / I Need Information On Treasury Bills In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1182) (1183) (1184) (1185) (1186) (1187) (1188) ... (2229) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by michaelogunleye(m): 8:03pm On May 09, 2020
abraolas1:

just open account with them two days ago already fund my cash account but I can't subscribe for the Mutual Fund beside nothing seems to be showing here... in their FAQ.. they talk about the subscribe button... just want to ask how u go about funding your Mutual account

I've also been trying to open a mutual fund account with them but after successful registration they say the account would be opened after 24hrs but I just checked and it's asking me to fill the reg. Form again.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 8:05pm On May 09, 2020
Satoshi2019:
Someone should kindly answer me ooo.
How safe is MMF. Is it as safe as TB? I mean my capital.
Cc Emmanuelewumi and other gurus pls

We have discussed this before, please consult your investment advisers

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by steveneche(m): 8:06pm On May 09, 2020
so I can no longer buy treasury bills according to the New regulations? am confused pls. am new and need advice on what to invest in
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Lionhearted: 8:09pm On May 09, 2020
What will happen, hypothetical, to Nigeria's foreign debts if the country should breakup tomorrow?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by afroxyz: 8:12pm On May 09, 2020
ojesymsym:
So far the argument has been men making a will, no discussion about women making Will's also or is there a law against that.
Men always thinking when they die, women always thinking when they enjoy. Each entity is granted his thoughts. Statistics shows that it happens exactly like that.
Whether or not you write a will, always have a positive outlook about life. Spend time with your kids. Never accept that your wife make request to you on behalf of your kids, you are not a blood sucking demon they cannot approach.
Encourage them to talk directly to you also otherwise in old age, you will become a lonely man who was never there. Fatherhood is more than just an ATM pin. If you make it all about what you provide, the kids will be distant from you and have no relationship with you as soon as they can meet their own needs.

Nobody is disputing what you are saying. But many men have also haboured the same thoughts and it didn't work out from them. Some pages back, there was mention of a woman who connived with her pastor to kill her husband who was a staff of NNPC. I'm sure the man had the same thoughts as you outlined above. Just the way nobody wishes death on himself, you also have to prepare for it. But I still ask, if the coin is flipped who would the woman state as the beneficiary?

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ojesymsym: 8:13pm On May 09, 2020
If you read my comment again, you will find we are very much aligned.
afroxyz:

Nobody is disputing what you are saying. But many men have also haboured the same thoughts and it didn't work out from them. Some pages back, there was mention of a woman who connived with her pastor to kill her husband who was a staff of NNPC. I'm sure the man had the same thoughts as you outlined above. Just the way nobody wishes death on himself, you also have to prepare for it. But I still ask, if the coin is flipped who would the woman state as the beneficiary?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 9:40pm On May 09, 2020
MrMcJay:

Gani's will is being used to teach lawyers how to draft Wills. The Nigerian Law School actually adopted Gani's Will as part of its syllabus.

Even other countries like The Gambia are now using it to teach their lawyers.

Wow! How do i lay hands on a copy of his will for reading purposes
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 9:41pm On May 09, 2020
ukay2:

It's in public domain. See the link Sir.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2010/06/04/the-late-gani-fawehinmi%25E2%2580%2599s-will/&ved=2ahUKEwjtg5D3qKfpAhVDxYUKHVHTDQkQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3JMS_LeOHipbFWMW0tMAR_

Seen. Thanks
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by abraolas1: 9:51pm On May 09, 2020
michaelogunleye:

I've also been trying to open a mutual fund account with them but after successful registration they say the account would be opened after 24hrs but I just checked and it's asking me to fill the reg. Form again.

same here too a lot if back and forth after filling the form online... infact I have credit my account but nothing seems to be working....u can beep their customer care WhatsApp they are yet to give me reason while account Is not yielding anything yet....... their process is not smooth
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by juniorrate: 10:50am On May 10, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

I hope we won't get to a stage whereby FG won't be able to service these debts

will FG also default debt instrument in Naira? i was thinking they should print more Naira to clear it
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nyxx123: 10:54am On May 10, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Lol...the girlfriend servicing loan and baskets of tomato talks are a front. We know who he is, and he has promised to reveal himself on a "good day".

Sir last I checked, TB thread is not a threatre where one comes to reveal himself after a show, this is a faceless blog, where we come and learn from pple with practical knowledge. He can create another thread for a reveal day show. I could go on and tell you exactly the kind of person his character reveals but that will be feeding on his ego cos thats exactly what he feeds on...an attention freak grin grin. Pls let's move on to more important topics

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 11:07am On May 10, 2020
juniorrate:

will FG also default debt instrument in Naira? i was thinking they should print more Naira to clear it
And risk inflation untop of what the already dwindling fx is doing?I doubt.
What they might do is keep paying interest on what they have borrowed already till when the nation's top fx earner comes back on track then devalue the naira so that their fx will give them enough naira to repay all their local debts and will also have more than enough to keep in the reserve due to the devaluation.
More like one stone kills 2 birds albeit at the expense of the populace.
Naira's official rate has no business being at the 300 range if you ask me.
The cbn should stop the whole ego and political games and devalue the damn currency already angry
The masses will rant but will later adjust to it.
Note also that devaluation induced inflation is always way better than its depreciation counterpart so I wonder what they are waiting for undecided

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by odimbannamdi(m): 12:18pm On May 10, 2020
Nyxx123:

Sir last I checked, TB thread is not a threatre where one comes to reveal himself after a show, this is a faceless blog, where we come and learn from pple with practical knowledge. He can create another thread for a reveal day show. I could go on and tell you exactly the kind of person his character reveals but that will be feeding on his ego cos thats exactly what he feeds on...an attention freak grin grin. Pls let's move on to more important topics

Lol...we care less about his intention to reveal himself. Like i said earlier, we all know who he is and i was just giving you a heads-up so that you dont get swayed by his assertions that are mostly theoretical.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Tvegas(m): 12:57pm On May 10, 2020
qmd24:
This is hate speech.
Please, leave DOCTORS out of this corrupt practice.
There is no reason why any doctor will connive with an unscrupulous wife for a token by inflating bills. sad

Sir, You must be a learner on this one. A close friend works in a lagos hospital. One day, the child of a popular actress was admitted for some minor surgery. 5 different men paid huge sums to cover the child's bill after the actress made few calls.

The doctor who doubles as the MD looked the other way. 2million naira was realised from a surgery of 200k. Sharing formula was 70:30. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by arduino: 3:58pm On May 10, 2020
Tvegas:

Sir, You must be a learner on this one. A close friend works in a lagos hospital. One day, the child of a popular actress was admitted for some minor surgery. 5 different men paid huge sums to cover the child's bill after actress made few calls.

The doctor who doubles as the MD looked the other way. 2million naira was realised from a surgery of 200k. Sharing formula was 70:30. grin
Wow!!!!!!
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 4:08pm On May 10, 2020
Tvegas:

Sir, You must be a learner on this one. A close friend works in a lagos hospital. One day, the child of a popular actress was admitted for some minor surgery. 5 different men paid huge sums to cover the child's bill after actress made few calls.

NIgeria is rotten, filled will crimimally minded people including family members..i triee asisiting some b4 they almost turn me to atm machine and financial problems solver while snapping with i phone up and down

8 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 5:08pm On May 10, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
NIgeria is rotten, filled will crimimally minded people including family members..i triee asisiting some b4 they almost turn me to atm machine and financial problems solver while snapping with i phone up and down

Bros i noticed too.....its like when u manage to assist in the little way u Can, u become trapped. They'll give u a month or two and come up with one need or the other.

God knows I want to help if i can but I've reduced it to only new geniue cases, if I've helped u before and u call me again....no more, if u persist , dribbling starts.

7 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by zamirikpo(m): 5:11pm On May 10, 2020
Barrytone:
DG DMO is on Chanel's now, 1900hrs of 9/5/2020

What is he saying.....they should increase TB small nah.

Like 7% even 6% sef we go manage.
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ukay2: 5:20pm On May 10, 2020
zamirikpo:

Very unlikely to increase NTB rate from her countenance yesterday.

There is so much liquidity in the system chasing government securities.

FGN is even happy seeing oversubscription of their securities at the current ridiculous rates.

We need to think outside the box for now.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 5:52pm On May 10, 2020
zamirikpo:

Bros i noticed too.....its like when u manage to assist in the little way u Can, u become trapped. They'll give u a month or two and come up with one need or the other.

God knows I want to help if i can but I've reduced it to only new geniue cases, if I've helped u before and u call me again....no more, if u persist , dribbling starts.
yes that Nigerians for u ...they might not be out of cash want yours ...

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 5:57pm On May 10, 2020
zamirikpo:

rates are not increased by emotions but economic principles ...if cbn has succefuly separated omo at 12 percents from dmo tb at 3.5 ....they use omo to attract forex ( it suppose to check inflation) now if the issue omo by cbn and no bids for long but might change ...but if pension funds are ready to fix for 2 percents since it not their money ....then we are in trouble
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 10, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
You're right sir! I don't even want to go there. My parents passed some years ago, so I went to Nigeria for the burial which lasted for couple of days. Immediately after the burial I went back to my house and a neighbour who attended the party came to invite me to her daughter's wedding and the date on the invitation falls to the day of my return back to base.
So, after few days I sent someone to gift her some amount of money then I left Nigeria. The lady got my number before I left Nigeria, so few days I arrived she called to thank me for the money I sent someone to give to her and i said no worries.
Her husband called few weeks after to thank me again, the husband started calling me mummy mummy, immediately I said no sir, please call me my name and he insisted on calling mummy, saying he so much appreciate my good gesture of the money given to his wife and the security gates I donated to our neighbourhood blablabla.
I said abi ooo, the next thing he said was that he needed me to send money to mount up his house fence that he wasn't happy the way his house looks....I became weak immediately but I kept it cool to explain that I just came back from Nigeria and I haven't resume to work so no money. He said okay, keep me in mind and don't forget I'm retiring next year o...Again I kept it cool.
A month after, the wife called me saying she needed money for her Christmas business, I ignored because I hate people who take advantage of other, so I blocked their a***s off.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Theconglomerate(m): 6:32pm On May 10, 2020
Sholapey:
You're right sir! I don't even want to go there. My parents passed some years ago, so I went to Nigeria for the burial which lasted for couple of days. Immediately after the burial I went back to my house and a neighbour who attended the party came to invite me to her daughter's wedding and the date on the invitation falls to the day of my return back to base.
So, after few days I sent someone to gift her some amount of money then I left Nigeria. The lady got my number before I left Nigeria, so few days I arrived she called to thank me for the money I sent someone to give to her and i said no worries.
Her husband called few weeks after to thank me again, the husband started calling me mummy mummy, immediately I said no sir, please call me my name and he insisted on calling mummy, saying he so much appreciate my good gesture of the money given to his wife and the security gates I donated to our neighbourhood blablabla.
I said abi ooo, the next thing he said was that he needed me to send money to mount up his house fence that he wasn't happy the way his house looks....I became wick immediately but I kept it cool to explain that I just came back from Nigeria and I haven't resume to work so no money. He said okay, keep me in mind and don't forget I'm retiring next year o...Again I kept it cool.
A month after, the wife called me saying she needed money for her Christmas business, I ignored because I hate people who take advantage of other, so I blocked their a***s off.
grin grin grin
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Godbpraised: 6:44pm On May 10, 2020
Madam you own better, i have a tenant in Nigeria now, coz he knows i am in Canada the guy failed to pay his rent, i took him to court he has only paid half, the greatest mistake i made was to show up and meet him face to face. him don see me as small boy. Nigerians are just wonderful people, them think say na ground we dey pick money.
Sholapey:
I said abi ooo, the next thing he said was that he needed me to send money to mount up his house fence that he wasn't happy the way his house looks....I became wick immediately but I kept it cool to explain that I just came back from Nigeria and I haven't resume to work so no money. He said okay, keep me in mind and don't forget I'm retiring next year o...Again I kept it cool.

4 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 6:46pm On May 10, 2020
Sholapey:

Nigerians and our entitlement mentality, they will turn you to their ATM.

Reason why some people lodge in hotels when they come home

6 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tomtom370: 6:59pm On May 10, 2020
Nigeria’s economic stake-up is happening too fast.

I presume you’re not referring to “investing in the real sector” when you wrote about thinking outside of the box.

If it is, then, it’s too advisable to “think outside the box” in Nigeria. Doing business in Nigeria is hard. Preserving your money is harder. The system is naturally designed to fail people, businesses and systems.

Do you think most of the private entities investing in those financial instruments (TBills, Bonds, MMF) aren’t business-oriented or don’t want to make more money by investing in the “real sector”?

Investors would rather preserve their capital and accept a marginal interest than invest in an unpredictable market/business. This is one sentiment that’s been widely expressed here and elsewhere. Why?

Because the basics of running an effective, profitable and sustainable business in Nigeria are non-existent, making it harder for altruistic businesses without political or social affiliations to succeed.

Take out government, multinationals and big corporations spendings from our national earnings, what do we have left?

There’s no basis for the core engine of the economy MSMEs; no structure, system, support and modeling for them.

Do you know the number of businesses that fail even before they start (first three years)? How about those who die between the 3rd & 5th years and even before the 10th year?

You might also want to check up the numbers and processes of big corporations as well. It leaves much to be desired when fully comprehended.

ukay2:

FGN is even happy seeing oversubscription of their securities at the current ridiculous rates.

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:06pm On May 10, 2020
ukay2:

Which sectors are you eyeing in the equity market?
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:10pm On May 10, 2020
Godbpraised:
Madam you own better, i have a tenant in Nigeria now, coz he knows i am in Canada the guy failed to pay his rent, i took him to court he has only paid half, the greatest mistake i made was to show up and meet him face to face. him don see me as small boy. Nigerians are just wonderful people, them think say na ground we dey pick money.
Some of them are good but one of my tenants pleaded I should take her as my mother immediately her rent lapsed. Another one refused to pay rent because he said people I sent to repaint the exterior of the property was looking at his wife while bathing and he wanted me to take him to court because he refused to pay, but instead I sent some boys from Lagos island to spend some lousy time in my apartment with drinks allowance. Two weeks after, the problematic tenant move out and the mama quickly paid her rent. Omo ina lan ran si ina. Mi o raye court grin

16 Likes

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:14pm On May 10, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Nigerians and our entitlement mentality, they will turn you to their ATM.

Reason why some people lodge in hotels when they come home
Yes oh!!! But hotels ain't safe again because of some staff with eagle eyes, they sight your dollars on arrival. grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by emmanuelewumi(m): 7:14pm On May 10, 2020
tomtom370:
Nigeria’s economic stake-up is happening too fast.

I presume you’re not referring to “investing in the real sector” when you wrote about thinking outside of the box.

If it is, then, it’s too advisable to “think outside the box” in Nigeria. Doing business in Nigeria is hard. Preserving your money is harder. The system is naturally designed to fail people, businesses and systems.

Do you think most of the private entities investing in those financial instruments (TBills, Bonds, MMF) aren’t business-oriented or don’t want to make more money by investing in the “real sector”?

Investors would rather preserve their capital and accept a marginal interest than invest in an unpredictable market/business. This is one sentiment that’s been widely expressed here and elsewhere. Why?

Because the basics of running an effective, profitable and sustainable business in Nigeria are non-existent, making it harder for altruistic businesses without political or social affiliations to succeed.

Take out government, multinationals and big corporations spendings from our national earnings, what do we have left?

There’s no basis for the core engine of the economy MSMEs; no structure, system, support and modeling for them.

Do you know the number of businesses that fail even before they start (first three years)? How about those who die between the 3rd & 5th years and even before the 10th year?

You might also want to check up the numbers and processes of big corporations as well. It leaves much to be desired when fully comprehended.

I don't think things are as bad as you have portrayed. Treasury Bills is not as investment per say.

If you are afraid of investing in the real sector, invest in an appropriately priced real estate that will give a PE of 15 and below, this will give you a rental yield of 7% which is still higher than 2% from Treasury Bills. Real estate will still give you capital appreciation in the next 5 years.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by ahiboilandgas: 7:16pm On May 10, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

I hope we won't get to a stage whereby FG won't be able to service these debts
the thing wan turn to cbn mmm or ponzi ...keep renewing untill when interest =debt insurment.....rip to investor
Re: Treasury Bills In Nigeria by tomtom370: 7:23pm On May 10, 2020
Damn! How long did he refuse to pay before you took him to court?

I have a tenant like this. The first and only time he saw me, he said: “where did a young man like you saw money to buy and own this property?” I was like see question ooo.

From that moment, I knew he had the possibilities of undermining me. I simply handed him over to the estate manager, yet he’s refused to pay. He recently paid like 40% just before the lockdown.

Might take legal action against him after giving him two months post-lockdown grace.

Godbpraised:

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1182) (1183) (1184) (1185) (1186) (1187) (1188) ... (2229) (Reply)

Nigerian Stock Exchange Market Pick Alerts

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.